Poll

Which type for GMK black lotus?

ICON mods
401 (66.3%)
TEXT mods
204 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 605

Author Topic: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset - UPDATED OP - GB GOING LIVE ON TKC ON APRIL 2020  (Read 292830 times)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset - Updated Kits - going LIVE on The Key Company!
« Reply #700 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 19:55:57 »

which pantone is used for the dark color?
GMK advised me to use the Ral chart instead. Its close to RAL 4007, but i have to confirm once i get actual samples that are being GMK.

Ill update you guys when it arrives :)

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
thanks! what is the color code for the black/grey color
Its just GMK CR black or the regular black in their colorwheel.

Thats good to know, considering the renders in the OP are a grey-black - and even though I like them, it might be worth updating the renders to reflect how the set will actually look. Coincidentally this is basically the opposite change GMK First Love made, going from black to a grey-black (as seen in the first post of that thread.)

For example, here is the op render:
Show Image

VS. a possibly more accurate GOK render from his 7v thread:
Show Image

Yes, we will be updating the renders to match the actual colors being sent by GMK.

but i must say that gok's render is pretty close to what i plan to implement :)

Offline rk74051

• Carpe Noctem Iterum
« Reply #701 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 20:12:31 »
Imgur image links was broken which are on first post - check please
|archon REːAL PLATINUM FX Round 2 DIY KIT[Black, Aluminium Plate, Ver 2.0 PCB, Drop Holy Panda, Massdrop X Oblotzky SA Oblivion Oblivion Mod(Oblivion Alpha),  Signed by Joe 'Mr.Hahn' Hahn of Linkin Park(Carry On, 7/18/2019 KST)]|
|CM Storm Novatouch TKL[Norbauer R2 Galactic Blue, Massdrop X Mito SA Godspeed]|

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #702 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 08:20:35 »
Imgur image links was broken which are on first post - check please

I wasnt able to update the link when I made corrections to the source.

They should work now  :thumb:

Offline diorite

« Reply #703 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 14:42:43 »
At first I was only really interested in the weeb kit and some monochrome mods, but the more I keep checking back for updates the more the base set grows on me. Sadly I think I may be in for every kit at this point, maybe not the novelties, not a big novelty guy. That deathtouch, though. My wallet is weeping. I was more interested in first love because I'm a big blue guy and not so much a red fan. These shades of purple have really grown on me, though. Great job with this set and I'm super excited to see it coming in August. Can't wait!

Offline kidpid

« Reply #704 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 00:43:15 »
7u space on the weeb alphas kit would be nice. HHKB layout support on monochrome kit would also be sweet.

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #705 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 01:41:26 »
7u space on the weeb alphas kit would be nice. HHKB layout support on monochrome kit would also be sweet.
+1

Offline diorite

« Reply #706 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 03:48:51 »

The monochrome mod kit just needs to be fleshed out a bit in general. I think it should have about the same coverage as the extra mods in the base kit minus the numpad and iso related keys, tbh. You should be able to cover the typical layouts between 60% and 75% with the monochrome + weeb kits just like you could with the base kit. There seems to be a large amount of interest in the monochrome variation of this set and I think it's coverage should be supported a little better to give it a good chance just like the base kit has. I don't think anyone interested in the monochrome and weeb kits would mind paying extra for more well rounded coverage because they will likely be used essentially as their own separate base kit. At least, that is how I see it as someone who is interested in all the kits.

For reference, I'm mostly talking about the keys I surrounded in red + a 1.75u shift and I could take or leave the stepped caps to be honest. I know I tend to ramble, but please consider expanding the coverage offered by the monochrome kit. It would match nicely with the weeb kit, as a whole new feel from the base set. Maybe even with a few lavender highlights. I just think it could use a little more support.

221253-0

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #707 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 07:22:23 »

The monochrome mod kit just needs to be fleshed out a bit in general. I think it should have about the same coverage as the extra mods in the base kit minus the numpad and iso related keys, tbh. You should be able to cover the typical layouts between 60% and 75% with the monochrome + weeb kits just like you could with the base kit. There seems to be a large amount of interest in the monochrome variation of this set and I think it's coverage should be supported a little better to give it a good chance just like the base kit has. I don't think anyone interested in the monochrome and weeb kits would mind paying extra for more well rounded coverage because they will likely be used essentially as their own separate base kit. At least, that is how I see it as someone who is interested in all the kits.

For reference, I'm mostly talking about the keys I surrounded in red + a 1.75u shift and I could take or leave the stepped caps to be honest. I know I tend to ramble, but please consider expanding the coverage offered by the monochrome kit. It would match nicely with the weeb kit, as a whole new feel from the base set. Maybe even with a few lavender highlights. I just think it could use a little more support.

(Attachment Link)

While I agree that the monochrome kit is very lacking, I am leaning towards following the keys offered in blocknet from gmk laser. I have these keys and while they couldnt cover an entire 75% keyboard, i am confident it can cover atleast 65%. I will be making a mockup for you guys to check out when i am able to. Just need to review some layouts to ensure compatibility to 65%.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #708 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 09:16:24 »
While I agree that the monochrome kit is very lacking, I am leaning towards following the keys offered in blocknet from gmk laser. I have these keys and while they couldnt cover an entire 75% keyboard, i am confident it can cover atleast 65%. I will be making a mockup for you guys to check out when i am able to. Just need to review some layouts to ensure compatibility to 65%.

I would say that is the best way to go about it as mentioned in my previous reply - it covers basically anything up to and including 65% as you said which is a big portion of the market, excluding ergo and weird 40% stuff obviously, whilst keeping the price fairly accessible.

Of course you could also include the necessary keys for 75%/TKL as you had in your initial mockup last page, that'd be important for many people I'm sure, but it really depends on the quote you get - coloured modifier kits like the ones for SkIIdata and Terminal R2 were about the same size as that would end up being and cost 120 and 100 dollars respectively. Laser's Blocknet cost $45, albeit at a ridiculously high number of 900~ sets sold, but it was still only $55 at 100 which is very good.

As long as you're confident in the base kit's ability to pull good numbers, trying to make the weeb alphas + monochrome kit as appealing as you can as a possible, actual alternative rather than just add-ons is really important.

Offline goku12

Re: [IC] Black Lotus Keyset Update: Novelties Posted
« Reply #709 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 12:14:54 »
Show Image

what do you think?

The MTG novelties could use a lot of help. The mockups for the mana symbols don't seem to be vector, and it gives them a very sloppy appearance. The lines are all squiggly, like they were drawn on a napkin. The Tap symbol isn't oriented correctly, the Sun symbol is unbalanced, and the Skull seems to be drooping or tilting to one side. I'd love to see brand new, cleaner designs for these. The Black Lotus symbol is great though, if the mana symbols could be that clean and tight I think it would look much, much better.

The classic font Death Touch is fantastic, and the Black Lotus symbol itself is perfect.

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #710 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 22:15:35 »
Show Image

what do you think?

The MTG novelties could use a lot of help. The mockups for the mana symbols don't seem to be vector, and it gives them a very sloppy appearance. The lines are all squiggly, like they were drawn on a napkin. The Tap symbol isn't oriented correctly, the Sun symbol is unbalanced, and the Skull seems to be drooping or tilting to one side. I'd love to see brand new, cleaner designs for these. The Black Lotus symbol is great though, if the mana symbols could be that clean and tight I think it would look much, much better.

The classic font Death Touch is fantastic, and the Black Lotus symbol itself is perfect.

Good feedback!

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #711 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 08:08:24 »
Show Image

what do you think?

thank you for the constructive feedback.

im mainly to blame for the horrible looking designs because I am no graphics expert, but rest assured it is being worked on by a proper graphics/render guy who would clean the lines.

as for the tap symbol, it shall be corrected along with removing the space between the "deathtouch" enter key. For the sun, ill see what we can think of to balance it, but it was mainly done in that manner as it is my own version of the MTG symbols. Regardless, I will be discussing this with the graphics/render guy and update this thread :)

Offline WithoutWeakness

« Reply #712 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 22:16:41 »
Just took an look at the updated kits and the colors look great. Unfortunately it looks like there are still quite a few missing keys that break compatibility with 40s and I'm not sure if it's too late to add them. Things like R3 1.25 Tab, R3 1.75 Enter, R2 1.75 and 2U Backspaces.

Hoping these can be included somehow to work with 40s (especially TheKeyCompany's CandyBar). I'm planning to buy the Base, Spacebars, and Novelties for my CandyBar but without the right caps it won't work. I don't know if it's feasible to add them to the base kit or split some things out into a 40s/compatibility kit but I'm hopeful TKC can help make this happen like they have for other sets they have sold.

You've been doing great work on this and I'm excited to see what the final MTG Novelties look like! Keep the momentum going and this set will sell well.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #713 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 22:53:41 »
I don't think he's posted final renders yet.  The old ones are still missing some keys he said he'd add (R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn are the ones I'm keeping an eye on).

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #714 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 06:57:45 »
Just took an look at the updated kits and the colors look great. Unfortunately it looks like there are still quite a few missing keys that break compatibility with 40s and I'm not sure if it's too late to add them. Things like R3 1.25 Tab, R3 1.75 Enter, R2 1.75 and 2U Backspaces.

Hoping these can be included somehow to work with 40s (especially TheKeyCompany's CandyBar). I'm planning to buy the Base, Spacebars, and Novelties for my CandyBar but without the right caps it won't work. I don't know if it's feasible to add them to the base kit or split some things out into a 40s/compatibility kit but I'm hopeful TKC can help make this happen like they have for other sets they have sold.

You've been doing great work on this and I'm excited to see what the final MTG Novelties look like! Keep the momentum going and this set will sell well.

Thanks! Will keep you posted on that candy bar support. :)

I don't think he's posted final renders yet.  The old ones are still missing some keys he said he'd add (R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn are the ones I'm keeping an eye on).

I think I already replied that it is already supported but its an r2 PgUp and r3 PgDn for 65-75% keyboards, please correct me if im wrong tho.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 June 2019, 07:58:23 by potatobot »

Offline WithoutWeakness

« Reply #715 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 10:19:38 »
Thanks! Will keep you posted on that candy bar support. :)

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #716 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 12:08:33 »
Would it be possible to add an R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn (to support the Tada68, Whitefox, Massdrop Alt, Uniqey C70, and any other 65% that uses it in the far right column)?
I have included those in the base :)

I think I already replied that it is already supported but its an r2 PgUp and r3 PgDn for 65-75% keyboards, please correct me if im wrong tho.

Okay.  That's not what you said a couple of weeks ago.  Quoted here for your reference.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #717 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 09:30:02 »
Would it be possible to add an R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn (to support the Tada68, Whitefox, Massdrop Alt, Uniqey C70, and any other 65% that uses it in the far right column)?
I have included those in the base :)

Okay.  That's not what you said a couple of weeks ago.  Quoted here for your reference.
Im sorry about not being specific.

But did i answer your question regarding the 65-75% support on our base kit? :)

Offline Blank

« Reply #718 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 13:31:57 »
Will there be any eu proxies/vendors?

Offline Asbrodeus

« Reply #719 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 15:31:12 »
is that the final layout for the monochrome mods? :confused:

Offline diorite

« Reply #720 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 16:59:24 »
is that the final layout for the monochrome mods? :confused:

He said he's thinking about doing a set like blocknet. I'm really hoping he extends the coverage to something more encompassing so the mono kit has a fighting chance.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #721 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 17:20:25 »
crossing fingers for a blocknet esq mono mods kit!!

Offline diorite

« Reply #722 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 18:03:29 »
crossing fingers for a blocknet esq mono mods kit!!

Yeah, me too. It looks like that would be a way better solution than the current iteration and have most of the coverage you would want/need. I'm excited for him to post the next update.

Offline ecbob

« Reply #723 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 22:24:32 »
Hi, would you consider your base kit spacebar to have that light violet color, the same as your enter and esc key?

Thanks

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #724 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 02:47:06 »
Any chance to add a black 7u to the monochrome kit like GMK Pulse? :)

« Reply #725 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 03:02:08 »
Hi, would you consider your base kit spacebar to have that light violet color, the same as your enter and esc key?

Thanks
Theres a spacebar kit for that

Offline slxdegrees

• Nerds With Keebs
    • Donate to Room To Read!
« Reply #726 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 20:11:44 »
Hey, the 7u spacebar is in the base kit.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline diorite

« Reply #727 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 22:13:40 »

I assume he's asking for people who are only considering getting a mono/web setup and not buying a base kit

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #728 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 03:12:21 »

I assume he's asking for people who are only considering getting a mono/web setup and not buying a base kit

precisely

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #729 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 08:42:50 »
I know I wouldnt be able to please everyone, but we will try our best. I hope everyone would understand that we would like to prioritize the base kit as much as possible :)

Offline ecbob

« Reply #730 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 01:39:29 »
Are there any renders yet?

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #731 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 17:05:10 »
Are there any renders yet?

Good question, we're getting closer to gb.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #732 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 09:08:19 »
Look what i got today! :)

Sorry i wasnt able to release the final renders sooner. We were waiting for the samples from gmk to arrive.

My camera doesnt do it justice, we will release the renders once gmk has confirmed everything :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2019, 09:17:44 by potatobot »

Offline Wongstongs

« Reply #733 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 09:40:46 »
Which part of the kit is this dark purple supposed to be? I don't see anything like it in the kits (I could just be blind  :p)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #734 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 10:03:21 »
Which part of the kit is this dark purple supposed to be? I don't see anything like it in the kits (I could just be blind  :p)
Its the mods. Uhm actually not very accurate with my photos coz im not taking it with natural light.

We also have another option thats a tad bit lighter, but i prefer the contrast of this purple to the legend colors.

Offline comdata55

« Reply #735 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 10:17:52 »
Please don't let this turn into another GMK Phantom by choosing a purple that's too dark...

« Reply #736 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 13:43:40 »
Its the mods. Uhm actually not very accurate with my photos coz im not taking it with natural light.

We also have another option thats a tad bit lighter, but i prefer the contrast of this purple to the legend colors.

I must be blind, where does that purple come in to play?

My understanding it was only black, lavender an the purple that was similar to deep space... Sorry if I'm super confused, lol

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #737 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 17:22:52 »
Hey guys. Let me compare both shades of purple mods and tell me which one is closer to Deep space coz i have seen the actual keys yet.

« Reply #738 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 18:59:30 »
Hey guys. Let me compare both shades of purple mods and tell me which one is closer to Deep space coz i have seen the actual keys yet.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Is that darker one the same as the one you posted earlier? This is definitely where my confusion came from if so, btw the darker one looks like it would sit with the lavender very very nicely

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #739 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 19:15:26 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Is that darker one the same as the one you posted earlier? This is definitely where my confusion came from if so, btw the darker one looks like it would sit with the lavender very very nicely
Yes it is the very same one. I was taking it in the evening and there was no natural light. Sorry my bad for confusing you guys.

Offline ecbob

« Reply #740 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 21:03:11 »
Would you consider the novelty enter key to be color swapped? Like the lilac as the main color and the purple as the legend. It's like how GMK First Love is with it's novelty enter key.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #741 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 21:25:50 »
Would you consider the novelty enter key to be color swapped? Like the lilac as the main color and the purple as the legend. It's like how GMK First Love is with it's novelty enter key.
Sorry, it has already been set this way because its the original color combination which makes it unique also :)

Lilac keys - black legends
Purple keys - lilac legends
Black keys - lilac legends

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #742 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 22:21:58 »
If you're taking those pictures with your phone, you should put the keys on a piece of white paper since phones will automatically try to correct the white balance based on the closet thing to white in the picture.  What I mean is that if you take a picture of GMK Carbon with nothing else in frame, it'll colorize the picture so that the alphas look white since it thinks they're supposed to be.  But if you throw in a piece of paper, the alphas will look pretty accurate.  Some pics showing the difference:

Obviously the general lighting still makes a difference as to what it will look like in a given person's home, but that second picture is actually pretty accurate to what I see looking at my keyboard.

BTW that darker purple is closer to what I expected the mods to look like.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 July 2019, 22:24:38 by a_ak57 »

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #743 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 22:31:13 »
If you're taking those pictures with your phone, you should put the keys on a piece of white paper since phones will automatically try to correct the white balance based on the closet thing to white in the picture.  What I mean is that if you take a picture of GMK Carbon with nothing else in frame, it'll colorize the picture so that the alphas look white since it thinks they're supposed to be.  But if you throw in a piece of paper, the alphas will look pretty accurate.  Some pics showing the difference:

Show Image

Show Image

Obviously the general lighting still makes a difference as to what it will look like in a given person's home, but that second picture is actually pretty accurate to what I see looking at my keyboard.

BTW that darker purple is closer to what I expected the mods to look like.
Yeah, i took that photo at night time and the lighting inside my room sucks.

But im glad everyone agrees the darker purple is better. Im seeing them on actual and the contrast between the legend and cap colors is an eye candy! :)

Offline ecbob

« Reply #744 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 02:19:27 »
Sorry, it has already been set this way because its the original color combination which makes it unique also :)

Ah my bad, I meant Lilac keys - black legends for the enter key instead of Purple keys - lilac legends! Just like the base kit enter key

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #745 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 02:24:38 »

Ah my bad, I meant Lilac keys - black legends for the enter key instead of Purple keys - lilac legends! Just like the base kit enter key
Clearly i wasnt reading this properly. I was replying on the go.

Anyways, scratch my previous answer.

I wouldnt consider changing but rather adding it to the set as a whole.

If that doesnt work out well with the pricing. We work it out with a poll.

Ill make mockups of both options aswell.

Offline ecbob

« Reply #746 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 02:34:38 »

Clearly i wasnt reading this properly. I was replying on the go.

Anyways, scratch my previous answer.

I wouldnt consider changing but rather adding it to the set as a whole.

If that doesnt work out well with the pricing. We work it out with a poll.

Ill make mockups of both options aswell.

Lovely! Hopefully adding another enter key won't add too much to the cost. I just love that lilac color and hopefully I can see it on the novelty enter key! Thanks a ton and let's hope for the best.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #747 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 11:20:05 »
Hey everyone, just wanted to share where we started off with the novelties.

Gen1: GMK tooling wasnt considered when making the design

Gen (I lost count): Simplified version (im testing out the ral color which are converted to hex)

also sharing the first banderole draft :)

Offline ecbob

« Reply #748 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 13:42:41 »
Hey everyone, just wanted to share where we started off with the novelties.

Gen1: GMK tooling wasnt considered when making the design

Show Image

Gen (I lost count): Simplified version (im testing out the ral color which are converted to hex)

Show Image

also sharing the first banderole draft :)
Show Image

I think you meant for the enter key to be black legends, since lilac background + black legends

Offline rk74051

• Carpe Noctem Iterum
« Reply #749 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 22:34:37 »
When does it start and how long will this GB be opened?

Due to military service, i can buy it after August 27th.... so sad
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2019, 22:36:20 by rk74051 »
|archon REːAL PLATINUM FX Round 2 DIY KIT[Black, Aluminium Plate, Ver 2.0 PCB, Drop Holy Panda, Massdrop X Oblotzky SA Oblivion Oblivion Mod(Oblivion Alpha),  Signed by Joe 'Mr.Hahn' Hahn of Linkin Park(Carry On, 7/18/2019 KST)]|
|CM Storm Novatouch TKL[Norbauer R2 Galactic Blue, Massdrop X Mito SA Godspeed]|