Author Topic: 1  (Read 21151 times)

Offline antcrm

« on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:45:29 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2021, 23:27:41 by antcrm »

Offline HoodrowThrillson

Re: [IC] Cello 65% double gasket
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:47:14 »
"This group purchase is limited 10pcs, YouTube&Twitch fans more than 1000, Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy ."

Ah yes, only to influencers
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:50:42 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:51:53 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:53:29 »
This group purchase is limited 10pcs, YouTube&Twitch fans more than 1000, Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy .

How about no?

Edit: Let me be more eloquent. If you need "influencers" to sell your product for you, then you need to make a better product or advertise it better. I think this kind of elitest, gatekeep-y bull**** of only selling your product to influencers needs to stay far away from this hobby.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:58:19 by ThereminGoat »

Offline JinDevil

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:57:07 »
I am eligible to get a spot right? /s

Offline SolidCactus

[IC] Cello 65% double gasket
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:57:12 »
I’m loving that blue and white combo! Very nice

Only 10 spots is unfortunate though.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 07:57:39 »
Here I’ll take my L now.

Offline zekth

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:01:47 »
Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy

Finally a legit reason to flood.

Sorry but f**k no

Offline kk73715

• Why are you even reading
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:10:58 »
alright you've convinced me - I'll buy 10.

what am I buying?

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:11:08 »
This group purchase is limited 10pcs, YouTube&Twitch fans more than 1000, Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy

:-X

Offline zekth

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:14:36 »

what am I buying?

RIP

Offline VXQN

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:20:57 »
Hey guys I'm selling a keyboard but only to people with 10x the amount of posts I have.

Is this a masterful troll post?

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:25:06 »
This group purchase is limited 10pcs, YouTube&Twitch fans more than 1000, Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy .

:rolleyes:

I think this board is gorgeous and I do want one, but this ain't it.

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:26:15 »
Quick! Start spamming other threads so you can reach the coveted Geekhack influencer / experienced forum dweller status!
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:26:34 »

How about no?

Edit: Let me be more eloquent. If you need "influencers" to sell your product for you, then you need to make a better product or advertise it better. I think this kind of elitest, gatekeep-y bull**** of only selling your product to influencers needs to stay far away from this hobby.

Let me say here I 100% back this comment up. Let me tell you why. Let's take a quick look at OP's history in Geekhack.

It's full of "Nice!" or "I like this" comments. There are however three things that make me shiver.

Exhibit 1

The first one being about an early IC the OP posted, called the KORNO65, which has been deleted leaving everyone in the thread confused. OP's history shows a couple comments there, but I would wager the original post has been lost due to the deletion. My keyboard spider senses start to tingle.

Exhibit 2

Another thing, and this a serious one, is that in this post, he claims:

"Why limited 10pcs?
-   We can't wait to share our product, which has been in the design stage for 14 months from the initial idea
"

Which not only does not answer the question as to why only 10 pieces, I also find weird because not only his account was created earlier than that, but in their comment history (comment n.18 in the above images), they state:

"I have been interested in keyboard diy for a long time, and I finally decided to do something by myself. Now I have set up a  team to design an electrostatic capacitance & mechanical gasket aluminum shell. I hope you will like it"

Which is dated may 19, 2020. Was the electrostatic capacitance project the KORNO? Also you don't know bullocks about what you are saying because an "electrostatic capacitance" does not exist and second because "gasket aluminum shell" sounds like a missile you are launching somewhere. You don't even know this community's jargon, costumes and rituals.

So no OP, you haven't been designing a god-damned thing for 14 months. You basically admitted to started designing in may. So you have been lying to us.

And honestly, who the hell are "we"? Who is your team? How many people are there? Are you designers, engineers, industrial designers (which even the Gater-on can be these days apparently) or just hobbyists? WHO THE F ARE YOU

Exhibit 3

This. The pièce de résistance: "This group purchase is limited 10pcs, YouTube&Twitch fans more than 1000, Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy". We could understand "we want to make this exclusive" or "since we are new, we want to keep numbers low to learn while keeping quality". But no, you basically said **** you, only 10 pieces, we will proceed to use hype tactics to sell this product which not only tells us you are a douchebag but also points towards the fact you don't trust your product. You might want to clarify the reason for that, but my money is on it's simply not a good product.

The use of "influencers" and "hype" is something that is making this community grow larger and we love that, but that use has its downsides. The most glaring of them being, it's very easy to hype up a horrible product and selling hundreds of it in a single build stream whilst destroying the reputation of a good one that simply didn't attend to the streamer's particular likings -- not to the streamer's fault, but to the audience's that understands a "I would have the top bezel smaller" as a "THIS IS LITERALLY HORRIBLE. DONT BUY THIS". This has a very bad consequence in this hobby because we are losing objectivity in what is a good keyboard or keyset or artisan, and instead we are shaping the hobby more towards "what is prettier and has better hype". This has a double negative effect: on the community side, it has generated a downwards spiral of flipping and over-hyping that has made aftermarket nearly impossible to get into, constraining people into either getting at GB, paying three times the price after they are delivered, or simply enver getting the keyboard they want. What if I don't want to pay 2k USD for a good 65% keyboard? From a designer's perspective, the fact the community is enabling bad designers by buying their objectively bad but hyped keyboards while willing to pay hideous amounts of money in the aftermarket for the very same bad-but-hyped products make good-intentioned and community-invested designers to either stop designing, keep putting out the same stuff over and over, or simply having their interest dwindle. And all of this has made the community overly competitive and toxic because people are frustrated. Also because people are a-holes in the interwebz.

Not only that, your sentence sounds gatekeepy, elitist and we don't want this here. If you want exclusivity for the sake of exclusivity, get the crap out and never come back. We want people to have nice keyboards. Having open-sourced my stuff and tried out of my heart to popularize keyboard design and make it more accessible to aspiring designers, this sentence offends me personally.

Keyboard design is serious business. It is very technical, intricate and takes a lot of practice and skill honing to get right; let alone make a hallmark product. ai03, Upas, Hiney, TGR, all have been designing keyboards for years before landing the products they have. Some of these designers are higher-educated in engineering or computer science and design products this professionally. They order prototypes even before the IC and sometimes revamp the whole thing just because of feedback; take Sagittarius for example. Not only that, many of these designers were beaten out of existence because they at some point slipped with our community. This that you are doing is outright disrespect and we will not take it.

Final thoughts

Don't buy this. This is totally wrong, this post should be re-written and we should combat this mentality that pretty=good.

EDITs: corrections and minor addittions
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 13:23:14 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline holer

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:27:33 »

How about no?

Let me say here I 100% back this comment up. Let me tell you why. Let's take a quick look at OP's history in Geekhack.

Show Image

Show Image

It's full of "Nice!" or "I like this" comments. There are however three things that make me shiver.

Exhibit 1

The first one being about an early IC the OP posted, called the KORNO65, which has been deleted leaving everyone in the thread confused. OP's history shows a couple comments there, but I would wager the original post has been lost due to the deletion. My keyboard spider senses start to tingle.

Exhibit 2

"Why limited 10pcs?
-   We can't wait to share our product, which has been in the design stage for 14 months from the initial idea
"

Which not only does not answer the question as to why only 10 pieces, I also find weird because not only his account was created earlier than that, but in their comment history (comment n.18 in the above images), they state:

"I have been interested in keyboard diy for a long time, and I finally decided to do something by myself. Now I have set up a  team to design an electrostatic capacitance & mechanical gasket aluminum shell. I hope you will like it"

Which is dated may 19, 2020. So no OP, you haven't been designing a god-damned thing for 14 months. You basically admitted to started designing in may. So you have been lying to us.

And honestly, who the hell are "we"? Who is your team? How many people are there? Are you designers, engineers, industrial designers (which even the Gater-on can be these days apparently) or just hobbyists? WHO THE F ARE YOU

Exhibit 3

This. The pièce de résistance: "This group purchase is limited 10pcs, YouTube&Twitch fans more than 1000, Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy". We could understand "we want to make this exclusive" or "since we are new, we want to keep numbers low to learn while keeping quality". But no, you basically said **** you, only 10 pieces, we will proceed to use hype tactics to sell this product.

The use of "influencers" and "hype" is something that is making this community grow larger and we love that, but that use has its downsides. The most glaring of them being, it's very easy to hype up a horrible product and selling hundreds of it in a single build stream whilst destroying the reputation of a good one that simply didn't attend to the streamer's particular likings -- not to the streamers fault, but to the audience that understands a "I would have the top bezel smaller" as a "THIS IS LITERALLY HORRIBLE. DONT BUY THIS". This has a very bad consequence in this hobby because we are losing objectivity in what is a good keyboard or keyset or artisan, and instead we are shaping the hobby more towards "what is prettier and has better hype".

Keyboard design is serious business. It is very technical, intricate and takes a lot of practice and skill honing to get right; let alone make a hallmark product. ai03, Upas, Hiney, TGR, all have been designing keyboards for years before landing the products they have. Some of these designers are higher-educated in engineering or computer science and design products this professionally.

Final thoughts
Show Image

Well said - I couldn`t agree more!

Offline kk73715

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:30:22 »

what am I buying?

Show Image

RIP

Fine... I'll let you have one, but I'm buying the other 9 /s
--
Though undeserved, let's give OP the benefit of the doubt:

1. could you explain the reason(s) for going for a 3D prototype? why not the actual product? is this the first proto?
2. where is the double gasket?
3. what is the thicker mid piece between the plate and the PCB?
4. the weight is PVD coated but it looks brushed in the renders?
5. what makes you think influencers are interested?
6. you mention "us" and "our", so there was a team that worked on this project and agreed it was ready to go to IC phase?

Offline soran

• what have I done
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:52:44 »
Thank mr Gondo, summed up well.

Offline Euro

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:53:15 »
Hello! I think you forgot to include the punchline in the IC, that GB requirement isn't for real right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 08:59:11 »

Guess you won’t be getting one then.

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:07:12 »
Don't buy this. This is totally wrong

strongly agree

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:14:08 »
does this mean i can buy it 58 times
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline of_sam

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:16:50 »
"Why limited 10pcs?
"

Which is dated may 19, 2020. Was the electrostatic capacitance project the KORNO? Also you don't know bullocks about what you are saying because an "electrostatic capacitance" does not exist and second because "gasket aluminum shell" sounds like a missile you are launching somewhere. You don't even know this community's jargon, costumes and rituals.

So no OP, you haven't been designing a god-damned thing for 14 months. You basically admitted to started designing in may. So you have been lying to us.

OP is "NizKeyboard". You can take a look at his storefront to see the garbage he sells. Unfortunately it looks like this is the way of the future for this community. We can hardly fault the OP for this though. Not to drag him into this, but with how easy it is to get your POS keyboard on Nathan's stream for a sponsored segment, more and more people will come out of the woodwork to try to make a quick buck. We are going to be seeing more and more sh*t like this unfortunately.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:21:29 »
As long as the veterans like those that have posted continue to make these things clear for us noobs I’ll happily boycott for the sake of preserving the community

“𝙁𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙞𝙧𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙠𝙮 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙙𝙞𝙢.”

Offline Suli

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:27:38 »
I agree with everyone above. Also, these keycaps in the renders are kinda off...

Offline kk73715

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:29:09 »
OP is "NizKeyboard". You can take a look at his storefront to see the garbage he sells.

May I ask how you know these are the same people?

This is the profile (https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=65226)

From a brief look, they are running another IC now (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109635.msg2980689#top). The IC format definitely looks the same so it is suspicious.

Offline of_sam

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:38:44 »
OP is "NizKeyboard". You can take a look at his storefront to see the garbage he sells.

May I ask how you know these are the same people?

This is the profile (https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=65226)

From a brief look, they are running another IC now (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109635.msg2980689#top). The IC format definitely looks the same so it is suspicious.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:39:31 »
Yikes...gatekeeping based on posts? Might as well just have it be a private GB

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 09:41:08 »
257489-0

hmm hmm hmm...

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:00:27 »

post count is a useful metric for filtering out scammers. people who aren't invested in the community can easily just nuke an account and start another

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:18:36 »

post count is a useful metric for filtering out scammers. people who aren't invested in the community can easily just nuke an account and start another

I think he means, if you are gatekeeping out right the IC, just do a private GB

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:24:29 »
bring back the peppa pig keyboard

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:27:05 »

You mean like this poster?

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:28:26 »

How about no?

Show Image

Show Image

Exhibit 1

Exhibit 2

"Why limited 10pcs?
"

Exhibit 3

This. The pièce de résistance: "This group purchase is limited 10pcs, YouTube&Twitch fans more than 1000, Geek post more than 200 or have other forums post experience priority to buy". We could understand "we want to make this exclusive" or "since we are new, we want to keep numbers low to learn while keeping quality". But no, you basically said **** you, only 10 pieces, we will proceed to use hype tactics to sell this product which not only tells us you are a douchebag but also points towards the fact you don't trust your product. You might want to clarify the reason for that, but my money is on it's simply not a good product.

The use of "influencers" and "hype" is something that is making this community grow larger and we love that, but that use has its downsides. The most glaring of them being, it's very easy to hype up a horrible product and selling hundreds of it in a single build stream whilst destroying the reputation of a good one that simply didn't attend to the streamer's particular likings -- not to the streamers fault, but to the audience that understands a "I would have the top bezel smaller" as a "THIS IS LITERALLY HORRIBLE. DONT BUY THIS". This has a very bad consequence in this hobby because we are losing objectivity in what is a good keyboard or keyset or artisan, and instead we are shaping the hobby more towards "what is prettier and has better hype". This has in turn generated a downwards spiral of flipping and over-hyping that has made aftermarket nearly impossible to get into, constraining people into either getting at GB or never get the board they want. Or pay three times the price after they are delivered. What if I don't want to pay 2k USD for a 65% keyboard? And this has made the community overly competitive and toxic because people are frustrated. Also because people are a-holes in the interwebz.

Not only that, your sentence sounds gatekeepy, elitist and we don't want this here. If you want exclusivity for the sake of exclusivity, get the crap out and never come back. We want people to have nice keyboards. Having open-sourced my stuff and tried out of my heart to popularize keyboard design and make it more accessible to aspiring designers, this sentence offends me personally.

Keyboard design is serious business. It is very technical, intricate and takes a lot of practice and skill honing to get right; let alone make a hallmark product. ai03, Upas, Hiney, TGR, all have been designing keyboards for years before landing the products they have. Some of these designers are higher-educated in engineering or computer science and design products this professionally. They order prototypes even before the IC and sometimes revamp the whole thing just because of feedback; take Sagittarius for example. Not only that, many of these designers were beaten out of existence because they at some point slipped with our community. This that you are doing is outright disrespect and we will not take it.

Final thoughts

Don't buy this. This is totally wrong, this post should be re-written and we should combat this mentality that pretty=good.

Show Image

I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with Gondo's sentiment. I feel like this should be a copy pasta

Offline Amuaisi

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:55:00 »
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here, but:

What makes someone with more than 1000 followers (or more than 200 posts) more worthy than others to own this board? I can almost see the argument 'Someone with more Geekhack posts would likely be more experienced with customs and thus more able to appreciate the nuance of this custom'. I don't agree with this metric, nor that this makes someone more 'worthy' of a board, but I could at least connect the dots.

But having 1000+ followers doesn't... say anything about experience other than that the person is able to produce good content and possibly build hype. There is no benefit (that I can see) to selling this specific board to enthusiasts with more followers. If the purpose is to ensure exposure and therefore sales, there are only 10 units. It was highly likely that your board was going to be bought. The only thing we could achieve is bloating after-market value, to no advantage to you. If the purpose is only for the hype, hype will build as long as the exclusive board feels somewhat attainable, and at 10 units, hype has very little space to build.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

Offline 7empest

• ༼ つ ◕ ◕ ༽つ
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 11:09:08 »
Why limited 10pcs?
-   We can't wait to share our product, which has been in the design stage for 14 months from the initial idea

I just re - read this whole thread again for fun, and when i re - read this line I actualled lol'd. Way to dodge your own question OP

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 11:11:42 »

as professor oak says, "there's a time and place for everything, but not now"
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 11:32:20 »
Tihi. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 11:35:29 »
Tihi.

also by the metrics laid out in this post i could buy this board but apiary couldn't, which is hilarious

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 11:48:47 »

If I'm very active in a different forum can I have one
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:16:31 »

I think he means, if you are gatekeeping out right the IC, just do a private GB

To an extent, moreso because it's obvious that he wants people with influence in the community to get their hands on it (hence the social media requirements). Might as well just do a private GB and contact people you know would spread the word at that point.

Offline lavaflow

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:17:40 »

What makes someone with more than 1000 followers (or more than 200 posts) more worthy than others to own this board? I can almost see the argument 'Someone with more Geekhack posts would likely be more experienced with customs and thus more able to appreciate the nuance of this custom'. I don't agree with this metric, nor that this makes someone more 'worthy' of a board, but I could at least connect the dots.

But having 1000+ followers doesn't... say anything about experience other than that the person is able to produce good content and possibly build hype. There is no benefit (that I can see) to selling this specific board to enthusiasts with more followers. If the purpose is to ensure exposure and therefore sales, there are only 10 units. It was highly likely that your board was going to be bought. The only thing we could achieve is bloating after-market value, to no advantage to you. If the purpose is only for the hype, hype will build as long as the exclusive board feels somewhat attainable, and at 10 units, hype has very little space to build.

Agreed, how does # of Geekhack posts gauge experience? I rarely comment here and only recently started doing so, but have been in the hobby for 2 years now...

Offline SenseiJia

• Hey you.
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:18:03 »
Damn. OP won't be able to buy his own board.
Gondo pretty much summed everything up.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:19:53 »
how does # of Geekhack posts gauge experience?

it doesn't

trust me

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:24:08 »
Show Image

If I'm very active in a different forum can I have one

4chan and hentai websites don't count.

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:32:58 »
You know, I'm not for bullying but there's always an exception. This IC is that exception.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:33:08 »

Agreed, how does # of Geekhack posts gauge experience? I rarely comment here and only recently started doing so, but have been in the hobby for 2 years now...

Post number (PN) is a good metric to gauge wether a user is active. And that is it. It does not automatically say this is a cashgrab project or this is a good project, but it is in the roster of metrics to determine the fallibility and trust level of a poster, and also the chance a potential GB will go south. For what it's worth I've been in the community as the classical lurker from 2013, and I have keysets from 2013/2014 to prove it, so everything I'm saying also applies to me.

Other good metrics are:

- How the user is viewed in the community
- How many GBs has the user successfuly or not successfuly ran
- Level of interest in this community
- Overall willingness to learn

Specifically for an IC/GB, the most common criteria are

- OP reputation as gauged by the items above
- Familiarity with concepts like keyboard construction, workings and acoustics
- Ability to sum up the inspiration, methodology, intended business model for the product; additionally, in a GB, price, quantity, vendors
- Uniqueness or overall aesthetics of the project, which is kind of subjective but rather easy to evaluate

So let's gauge this IC, shall we? As for user reputation:
- How the user is viewed in the community: he is new, we don't know crap about him, he has 18 freaking posts all "I love it, I like it, beautiful" etc and his account isn't an year old yet
- How many GBs has the user successfuly or not successfuly ran: literally zero
- Level of interest in this community: literally zero, I mean, 10 pieces because I have 1k followers? Also lying?
- Overall willingness to learn: also none, because this keyboard's construction is meh, the PCB renders are meh, the renders are meh, and because I'm feeling meh today

For the IC itself:
- OP reputation as gauged by the items above: doesn't play in his favour I'm afraid
- Familiarity with concepts like keyboard construction, workings and acoustics: cmon, look at that bottom part, is this a keyboard or a freaking puzzle. Also no protos. Also 3D print protos.
- Ability to sum up the inspiration, methodology, intended business model for the product: no price, no inspiration, methodology is shady at least, IC poorly written. I would also bet high dollar this dude will make this a 600+ USD keyboard "because only 10 units", but since this is an IC prices are generally still in the works, we let pass the fact prices are missing. This keyboard is completely un-inspired, as we can see buzzwords gallore (exclusive, double gasket or whatever that means, 6063 aluminum, plate options).
- Uniqueness or overall aesthetics of the project: lol gasket 65% with logo blocker, a freaking JWK linear recolor would be more unique at this point

None of these criteria are absolute. Quantrik was pretty unknown when he made the QXP and the Kyuu and both are fantastic. The Kyuu itself is a 65% with blocker and logo (and gasket IIRC but correct me please) and it is a nice keyboard. Upas doesn't lurk around here so his account is both new and not many posts. Puddsy is a known prick but he knows what he's saying; he's also pretty active (like 12k posts, cmon mate get a life). JWK recolors are all the same yet people buy them because they are objectively good, cheap, they have a nice sound profile (at least the linears). So it's not that a single criteria can invalidade you, but serially and severely missing a bunch of them does make me want to whoop some asses with a newspaper.

This is just a quick analysis. Simon takes tens of minutes sometimes to review a single IC/GB.

All of this to say: this IC bingoes every single bad criteria we have to analyse it, this is nuclear-level don't buy. It's not only about post number or account age.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2020, 13:30:14 by Gondolindrim »

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:47:56 »
Yeah, i don't think that 10 pcs is a good idea
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:51:32 »
All of this to say: this IC bingoes every single bad criteria we have to analyse it, this is nuclear-level don't buy. It's not only about post number or account age.

I love you Gondo

Offline kraize

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 13:16:54 »
Like: 3 piece bot
Dislike: Lul. Don't need to repeat what everyone else said.

Also, what does double gasket mean? Are we just throwing terms out here now?

This is gonna be a no for me, dawg.