Author Topic: Trackpoint to Teensy without encoder?  (Read 4192 times)

Offline nipplemouse

Trackpoint to Teensy without encoder?
« on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 18:52:45 »
I'm starting work on a TrackPoint keyboard. My plan is to harvest the TrackPoint from a dead IBM SpaceSaver II so i won't have a TrackPoint encoder.
I'm wondering if it would be possible to directly connect the TrackPoint strain gauges to a Teensy and handle encoding through the Teensy firmware.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Trackpoint to Teensy without encoder?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:47:13 »
Edit: I came across this: https://deskthority.net/wiki/MX13_SpaceSaver_Keyboard which uses the Trackpoint module from the SpaceSaver II.
Apparently the trackpoint controller is not in the trackpoint module with PS/2 output, but on the main logic board as the keyboard controller ... but the circuits are separate from the keyboard functionality, with independent power. If there is space inside your build for it, you should be able to include it.

Old: Some Trackpoint modules -- but not all -- talk the PS/2 protocol.
If it speaks PS/2 then you could use it with Hasu's TMK firmware - it should have support for PS/2 mouse input. I don't know if it is officially supported, however. You might have to do some hacking.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 September 2016, 12:55:26 by Findecanor »

Offline hanya

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 20:50:57 »
Maybe part of trackpoint controller TPM754 still work on the board.
PFU HHKB JP, Sanwa MA-TB38 trackball

Offline nipplemouse

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 14:24:49 »
the circuits are separate from the keyboard functionality, with independent power.

I've done some testing on my controller and you're right, the Trackpoint and keyboard circuits appear to be separate. Unfortunately only the keyboard circuit works. The Trackpoint circuit is damaged somehow.

Should I just get a new Trackpoint controller from a Thinkpad or maybe Sprintek? Or is it possible to connect the Trackpoint module directly to a Teensy and use that as the Trackpoint controller?