Author Topic: Need to upgrade PC: Must run Ton of Chrome lag free.  (Read 11796 times)

Offline Naweo

Need to upgrade PC: Must run Ton of Chrome lag free.
« on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 07:46:52 »
Hey, I am experiencing some serious lag running a lot of chrome windows, tabs, and extensions. Which is necessary.

I recently upgraded ram to 64 GB to avoid run-out-of ram issue, and so far thats doing fine. But my CPU is constantly running between 60-95% usage, and I have trouble loading pages.

I use a 5930k CPU.

Would upgrading to one of the new modern CPUs be helpful?

Could it be time to upgrade my SSD and/or HHD, even though they are in fine condition?

Thank you.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Need to upgrade PC: Must run Ton of Chrome lag free.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 07:49:01 »
It's time to upgrade your privacy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 08:04:49 »
///THREADRIPPPAAAA>>.......

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 08:46:58 »
Hey, I am experiencing some serious lag running a lot of chrome windows, tabs, and extensions. Which is necessary.

I recently upgraded ram to 64 GB to avoid run-out-of ram issue, and so far thats doing fine. But my CPU is constantly running between 60-95% usage, and I have trouble loading pages.

I use a 5930k CPU.

Could it be time to upgrade my SSD and/or HHD, even though they are in fine condition?

Thank you.

Do you have to use Google Chrome? It is a terrible web browser. It leaks memory left and right, and absolutely loves to break itself any way that it can. Have they even finally caught up to Firefox Quantum in regards to actually utilizing more than one processor core?

How many tabs are you talking? a 5930k and even 16gb of ram sounds like major overkill for web browsing.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 08:52:11 »
Oh you think it is spies that causes me to lag? hmmm

Offline Naweo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 08:53:08 »

I use a 5930k CPU.

Thank you.

Do you have to use Google Chrome? It is a terrible web browser. It leaks memory left and right, and absolutely loves to break itself any way that it can. Have they even finally caught up to Firefox Quantum in regards to actually utilizing more than one processor core?

How many tabs are you talking? a 5930k and even 16gb of ram sounds like major overkill for web browsing.

Do you have an alternative to google chrome you would recommend then? And I would think I use about 10 windows, a total of 50-60 tabs.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 09:14:20 »
The only other full featured browsers are Safari and Firefox.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 10:12:53 »
Chrome (Chromium) ran very well for me with many windows and tabs on an Intel Atom system.
I suspect that actual CPU performance is not the issue for Chrome itself. Maybe it is your bandwidth or connection latency that is the bottleneck, or some really badly written web sites.
That, unless you are using a ridiculous amount of tabs that you keep between sessions, and without an ad-blocker. Or perhaps some malware on your machine is causing the slowdown. If you don't already use an ad-blocker, get one!
And you are not using one of those antivirus programs that slows down your computer, are you?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 10:47:03 »
Do you have an alternative to google chrome you would recommend then? And I would think I use about 10 windows, a total of 50-60 tabs.

Firefox. I have used it as my daily driver since it was first ported to Windows from Linux. When Firefox Quantum was released 2 years ago now, it took the speed throne back from Chrome, and should make more efficient use of your hardware since it actually utilizes all processing cores. I don't know of any other browsers that do that yet. Otherwise it is sort of like having a horse-drawn carriage with 4 horses hitched to it, and unhitching 3 of them.

As an added benefit, it doesn't spy on you, and is developed by a non-profit organization. It even has an option to turn the traditional menu bar back on ... since it never made sense to move away from those to begin with.

Some extensions may not be available in Chrome, or vice versa, though FF stole the extension innovation from Opera ... then Google stole it from FF.

Chrome (Chromium) ran very well for me with many windows and tabs on an Intel Atom system.
I suspect that actual CPU performance is not the issue for Chrome itself. Maybe it is your bandwidth or connection latency that is the bottleneck, or some really badly written web sites.
That, unless you are using a ridiculous amount of tabs that you keep between sessions, and without an ad-blocker. Or perhaps some malware on your machine is causing the slowdown. If you don't already use an ad-blocker, get one!
And you are not using one of those antivirus programs that slows down your computer, are you?

I agree on the ad-blocker. You will see improved performance with a good ad-blocker installed. I like Ublock Origin. If you want to go above and beyond, you could also set up a device to run Pi-hole as a DNS sinkhole. Then most ads would be filtered out of your network before they even reach your computer to be blocked.

I do think the problem could still be Chrome though. It loves to break entirely and start consuming all resources it can get its grubby hands on. Wouldn't hurt to uninstall it entirely, run a registry cleaner like CCleaner a few times and/or root out any traces of Chrome from your appdata folders. Additionally, do you happen to run Kaspersky as an antivirus? We've had problems recently with running both of them in tandem. I noticed some systems were even allocating 24gb of the SSD for virtual memory to cope. Reinstalling Kaspersky has worked for us.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. What operating system are you even running? I have seen $150 Chromebooks function (barely) with at least 20-30+ tabs, and those have absolutely terrible components.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 16:47:50 »
Yeah. Full system specs would help.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 00:18:18 »
Firefox or bust.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 07:11:33 »
Use more windows, not just more tabs.
Each Window is a separate instance with it's own threads. Too many tabs and things in them and you start running out of threads per instance (of the program) and eventually threads per program entirely. There is a limit and once you reach it things start running bad no matter how much ram you throw at it.

This is a software problem, not a hardware problem and the best workaround is more windows (at least until you hit that limit as well). Remember, until recently hardware was always the stumbling block, that's changed and software has yet to catch up and take full advantage of it. Even when it does it will be held back to an extent by people trying to keep old hardware working decent because some of the tricks used to make slow hardware tolerable is at times the same that slows newer stuff.

A note about cpu cores since it sort of relates here.
Cores are not as important as people think, that isn't to say they are worthless, just not the end all/be all, I have 6core/12 threads and it's quite common to see most with low loads and just two to four of them doing most of the work (again more instances/windows). Once a tab is loaded/rendered cpu load is reduced so you can probably get by almost as well on 8 cpu cores/threads as you can on 32 cores/threads just so long as you don't open too may tabs at once. Just keep in mind that dynamic content (database, video, animation) on a background tab will retain a load.

I wrote a bit more about it where I did some informal testing here, but at the time I wasn't aware of what was causing the limit, now I have a better understanding of it. I still can't say it's 100% accurate, but it's informative regardless and may save you from spending a ton of money on parts (hint, for a cheap upgrade look at Ryzen 2000 stuff, there are killer deals going on for it).

DITCH CHROME.
I can't stress this enough, it has entirely too much telemetry and garbage that it just eats ram. It also caters to advertising and spends far too much effort handing out info. Switch to Chromium (the foundation of Chrome) or Firefox(!) with a (good!) adblocker or Brave (based on Chrome)which has one built in. This will reduce your footprint by a large amount. Check that link I put in above, you might be surprised at just how much Chrome is eating and wonder what the heck it's actually doing with it all.

Multiple browsers
I do it and I've seen many others do it as well. Separate things out between multiple browsers, this way you can get more before things start lagging. Better still, if one crashes you only lose some of what you were doing. This may not be as big a deal as it used to be but it still helps separate data and allow you to have more going at once.

Ditch Windows.
I know it's not always practical but Linux and Mac will use far less memory on top of what I said above. Not sure about Mac, but Linux will also spread the load over the cores better.

When I was doing that testing, while it was on purpose to hit the limit quickly, I wasn't really able to ever use a ton of memory like I could on Windows, and yet I still had many of tabs open. You might read it and think it was only 30 tabs, but they were 30 tabs picked specifically for their ability to flood out the system due to lots of dynamic content. Had they been static pages it would have been in the hundreds.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline epicfacethe3rd

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 18:45:08 »
+1 to Firefox here. i use it about as brutally as you use chrome and i don't run into issues, and i'm on much worse hardware (Fx6300/16gb ram)
if you really think an upgrade is in order, move to Ryzen - a lot of desktop stuff supports multicore these days
other things you can do for performance:
  • Adblocker
Ads are really intensive on browsers (and annoying) quite a few options here. worth noting this is honestly a good idea no matter what
  • Change your networking
Are you on wifi? Did you buy your router or are you using the one Generic Internet Monopoly™ gave you? What speed is your onboard NIC (WiFi/Ethernet card)? Less than gigabit? Not 5g? (no, i don't mean your internet speed as paid for by your provider - i mean your home network/wifi - they're two different things)
if you answered yes to any of that the bottleneck isn't your computer - it's your network. easiest fix to slow internet/unreliable internet is to run an Ethernet cable to your machine. if your computer doesn't have gigabit Ethernet (god forbid) you should upgrade your computer to any modern hardware. additionally, your router might be in the same hole. upgrading to something that has gigabit Ethernet is a very good idea - make sure you don't need an additional cable router (you can buy these too though)
stuck on WiFi? well, you're kinda screwed. you'll need to get a WiFi card that supports 5g and a router that supports 5g
  • go for linux
[/list]
Teaching sand to think was a mistake
Wendel, Level1techs, 2020-02-04

Offline Naweo

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 05:35:30 »
    I did some testing in chromium and the lag was about the same and as CPU intensive.

In isolation, I want to upgrade hardware to run newer PC games with better stats too.

However, is there any reason to believe a non overclocked system:

Windows 10
    Asus X99-S
    64 gb memory
    750W PSU Corsair
    2x 980 SLI

Into:

Windows 10
    64 gb memory
    Asus z390
    750W PSU Corsair (May need to upgrade this too)
    2x 980 SLI

Will run chrome any better, when using up to 50 tabs?

+1 to Firefox here. i use it about as brutally as you use chrome and i don't run into issues, and i'm on much worse hardware (Fx6300/16gb ram)
if you really think an upgrade is in order, move to Ryzen - a lot of desktop stuff supports multicore these days
other things you can do for performance:
  • Adblocker
Ads are really intensive on browsers (and annoying) quite a few options here. worth noting this is honestly a good idea no matter what
  • Change your networking
Are you on wifi? Did you buy your router or are you using the one Generic Internet Monopoly™ gave you? What speed is your onboard NIC (WiFi/Ethernet card)? Less than gigabit? Not 5g? (no, i don't mean your internet speed as paid for by your provider - i mean your home network/wifi - they're two different things)
if you answered yes to any of that the bottleneck isn't your computer - it's your network. easiest fix to slow internet/unreliable internet is to run an Ethernet cable to your machine. if your computer doesn't have gigabit Ethernet (god forbid) you should upgrade your computer to any modern hardware. additionally, your router might be in the same hole. upgrading to something that has gigabit Ethernet is a very good idea - make sure you don't need an additional cable router (you can buy these too though)
stuck on WiFi? well, you're kinda screwed. you'll need to get a WiFi card that supports 5g and a router that supports 5g
  • go for linux
[/list]

I will get to this and edit this post with answers

- I run ethernet
- How do I test if my internet runs with proper data capacity on my PC, and/or my router?

Thank you
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2020, 05:42:13 by Naweo »

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 06:21:24 »
I just try to minimse the number of tabs I have open (largely to reduce distraction, I work from home) and restart my computer every day.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 06:27:54 »
I use hibernate when I shut down my PC to continue where I left off.

Maybe the solution, really, is just to restart PC every day - and upgrading my PC will not help

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 07:36:42 »
I use hibernate when I shut down my PC to continue where I left off.

Maybe the solution, really, is just to restart PC every day - and upgrading my PC will not help

have you tried firefox, no go ? last ditch effor internet xpl0r3r.

Offline GeorgeStorm

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 07:42:31 »
I don't use Chrome but 50-60 tabs doesn't seem that crazy to me, I happily was using 30+ on an old i5 with 1 stick of 8gb ddr3 without any noticeable issues (whilst also playing games etc)

Used Opera, am currently using Vivaldi but if I had to start with a new browser would definitely go firefox.
Poker with blacks
My flickr

Offline Naweo

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 08:20:37 »
I tried firefox, chromium, internet explorer.

They all seem to cause lag when there is a full CPU load, and firefox causes that too.

When I switch down to 1-5 windows, there is some, but much more easy to adapt to.

Could a CPU upgrade realistically have any effect on multi-tab browser performance?

Offline epicfacethe3rd

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 11:49:11 »
    I did some testing in chromium and the lag was about the same and as CPU intensive.

In isolation, I want to upgrade hardware to run newer PC games with better stats too.

Windows 10
    Asus X99-S
    64 gb memory
    750W PSU Corsair
    2x 980 SLI

Into:

Windows 10
    64 gb memory
    Asus z390
    2x 980 SLI

I WOULD NOT UPGRADE COMPUTER HARDWARE. your issue shouldn't be computer hardware here. As i said, I'm doing exactly the same load on my computer, with the only difference being software. try running linux as well. windows 10 is awful at working with

- I run ethernet
- How do I test if my internet runs with proper data capacity on my PC, and/or my router?

Thank you
the important question here is is your router the one supplied by your ISP, what other software are you running, and are you running an ad blocker. your motherboard is almost certianly supporting of gigabit ethernet. CPU usage is starting to make me wonder if you're running into other issues though.
DO NOT USE CHROME FOR THIS KIND OF INTENSIVE INTERNET BROWSING
CHROME DOES NOT UTILIZE HARDWARE EFFECTIVELY

They all seem to cause lag when there is a full CPU load, and firefox causes that too.

When I switch down to 1-5 windows, there is some, but much more easy to adapt to.

Could a CPU upgrade realistically have any effect on multi-tab browser performance?
the CPU you have listed is a bad choice for an upgrade for this imho. the 9900k isn't a great CPU choice for multitasking and it's too damn expensive for what it is. Go ryzen. even if you're an intel fan. 2nd gen ryzen is going to save you a ton of money and give you a better upgrade path than intel
one more thing, what's your CPU usage when you're not using chrome?[/list]

Offline Naweo

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 12:11:56 »

Windows 10
    Asus X99-S
    64 gb memory
    750W PSU Corsair
    2x 980 SLI

Into:

Windows 10
    64 gb memory
    Asus z390
    2x 980 SLI

I WOULD NOT UPGRADE COMPUTER HARDWARE. your issue shouldn't be computer hardware here. As i said, I'm doing exactly the same load on my computer, with the only difference being software. try running linux as well. windows 10 is awful at working with

- I run ethernet

Thank you
the important question here is is your router the one supplied by your ISP, what other software are you running, and are you running an ad blocker. your motherboard is almost certianly supporting of gigabit ethernet. CPU usage is starting to make me wonder if you're running into other issues though.
DO NOT USE CHROME FOR THIS KIND OF INTENSIVE INTERNET BROWSING
CHROME DOES NOT UTILIZE HARDWARE EFFECTIVELY

the CPU you have listed is a bad choice for an upgrade for this imho. the 9900k isn't a great CPU choice for multitasking and it's too damn expensive for what it is. Go ryzen. even if you're an intel fan. 2nd gen ryzen is going to save you a ton of money and give you a better upgrade path than intel
one more thing, what's your CPU usage when you're not using chrome?[/list]

I am not sure how to test/get info about my router.

My cpu load without my tabs/chrome is about 15-20%.

With chome/tabs its about 75-100% depending on load.

I am currently using chromium as it closest resembles chrome.

Offline epicfacethe3rd

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 14:03:22 »
huh? i'm just asking if you bought your router or if you got it from your ISP

that kind of idle usage is extremely unusual. is this on windows 10? you might have a case of windows rot on your hand
for reference with my much slower processor i run about 5-10% cpu usage with firefox open

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2020, 14:10:25 by epicfacethe3rd »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 18:39:48 »
I don't use Chrome but 50-60 tabs doesn't seem that crazy to me, I happily was using 30+ on an old i5 with 1 stick of 8gb ddr3 without any noticeable issues (whilst also playing games etc)

Used Opera, am currently using Vivaldi but if I had to start with a new browser would definitely go firefox.
Web pages used to be less than 1 meg.

Today, you can have a 20meg page or more, and 75% of it will be ads and tracking. If it's user generated content it can be HUNDREDS of megs, I've seen chat forums where users have 5-50 meg avatars. And then you have sites like Imgur where you have 500 meg gif dumps. The worst I've seen though is browsing Reddit, where a single tab will destroy almost anything... Except Safari.

Basically tab numbers mean nothing when one page is 1 meg and the next is 5 gigs.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 18:40:46 »

Did you still have Google Chrome installed? The Updater and Google services in the background can still be tracking Chromium. There could also be a ton of other garbage in the system running in background.

The number of tabs is less important than the content of those tabs, see what I wrote above.

Internet speed test will tell you what speeds you are getting.

The absolute bare minimum should be weekly restarts if only to flush the memory of garbage that builds up. Even if it shows you using little ram, that doesn't mean things are not dragging down the system.

Why users never restart Windows always amazes me, that's the first thing most people do when things get slow.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 March 2020, 18:45:02 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 18:43:37 »

If the cpu is maxed, of course it's going to lag. Why would it not?

Multi core helps but only to a degree unless you are seriously lopsided, and you are very much lopsided with ram, systems should be balanced. There is lot more to this sort of thing than just ram and cpu cores.  Did you put all that ram in there just for browsing?

Follow the link in my first post above, it tells you a ton about all of this.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 01:48:17 »
A lot of good info here from a lot of good people here, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents into the ring in terms of hardware.

First, your 5930k is on Haswell-E, and that architecture is old. Like, really old. If you're looking to get better performance in games, a newer cpu will do you a lot of good. I know 6 cores seems like a decent amount, but the architecture you are on has really slow IPC (single core performance). My instant recommendation would be to go for an upgrade to the AM4 platform, whether that be with a R5 3600 or better. AM4 has a phenomenal upgrade path right now, and you can go all the way up to 12 cores.

Secondly, again on the topic of an upgrade for better gaming performance, DROP SLI. I know it looks cool and you already have both cards, but it's a bad idea for modern games. A lot of newer games simply don't support SLI anymore, and even the ones that do often times have horrible micro-stuttering. I can confirm this because I personally upgraded from SLI-970's to a single 1070ti and it was an excellent upgrade. This goes doubly so if you are using a high refresh rate monitor.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 03:50:50 »
huh? i'm just asking if you bought your router or if you got it from your ISP

that kind of idle usage is extremely unusual. is this on windows 10? you might have a case of windows rot on your hand
for reference with my much slower processor i run about 5-10% cpu usage with firefox open
Show Image

Show Image

I got my router from my ISP. Yes, this is running on widows 10.

I use Crucial Mx100 SSD. 5-6 years old

I just uninstalled chrome and will see what happens.

My internet speed tests looks like they should be. steady 20-25 MS, but I get occasional spikes to 600 ms.

I know I am an idiot, but I am a bit hestitant to upgrade to AMD as I have no familiarity with using and/or assembling a PC with that. Unless you really think AMD is the go-to solution, I would want a standard good-option intel CPU.

I am actually running SLI on 4 screens, and one with high-refresh rate. Maybe that is causing problems too. I will just buy one of those 2080 graphic cards then into my upgrade.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 04:09:23 by Naweo »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 06:49:35 »
Try an WD Sn750 ssd,  get the 1tb version ,

Or samsung, buh they're way overpriced.

Try overclocking 5930k to, ~ 4.5ghz.  I'm not sure if it's deliddable, don't recall if it's soldered.

Offline Larken

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 07:03:12 »
Slightly befuddled why your cpu usage is so high. What are you running in those 60 tabs, idle games?

Out of curiosity, I went and opened a bunch of tabs in chrome. Went to 80 tabs in one window before I stopped. At idle, it doesn't even use >20% CPU and most of that wasn't even by chrome. Didn't even hit 16 gb ram. I'm running a Ryzen 3600 with 32gb ram if it helps.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:01:03 »
Have you considered turning off hardware acceleration

Offline Naweo

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:19:27 »
Slightly befuddled why your cpu usage is so high. What are you running in those 60 tabs, idle games?

Out of curiosity, I went and opened a bunch of tabs in chrome. Went to 80 tabs in one window before I stopped. At idle, it doesn't even use >20% CPU and most of that wasn't even by chrome. Didn't even hit 16 gb ram. I'm running a Ryzen 3600 with 32gb ram if it helps.

Oculd you try and open 50 tabs using a bunch of charts from Tradingview.com? just the same chart I suppose. When I replicate that on my laptop, that is also laggy.

Hardware acceleration is off.

I am also suspecting that running 2 screens in 4k, and 2 others in 1440p, one one graphics card in a RTX geforce 980 sli setup, is causing trouble.

@TP4Tissue

I was thinking perhaps an SSD upgrade could help. But so far I suspect the following issues:

1. CPU underperformance
2. Windows 10 issue.
3. 980 SLI setup with 4 monitors (4k, 4k, 1440p, 1440p) causing issues.
4. SSD upgrade needed.
5. Faster internet speeds.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:33:06 by Naweo »

Offline Larken

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:32:39 »

Oculd you try and open 50 tabs using a bunch of charts from Tradingview.com? just the same chart I suppose. When I replicate that on my laptop, that is also laggy.

Hardware acceleration is off.

I am also suspecting that running 2 screens in 4k, and 2 others in 1440p, one one graphics card in a RTX geforce 980 sli setup, is causing trouble.

Sure. Opened more than 50 (I opened the top row of charts repeatedly; lost count at one point and decided to just open a few more).

Idling usage: https://imgur.com/a/JfyEnSO

My GPU is pretty old as well; running a RX 580, dual monitors (1440p + 1080p).
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:37:19 by Larken »

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Naweo

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:35:05 »
This is my PC performance after 25 hours of Uptime. And no, PC performance feels very sluggish as we speak.

64 GB ram - 5930k at stock frequency.

https://gyazo.com/de8960dda6f28fec05c1fb321fabc713

I use hibernate fucntion when I shutdown my PC to save at least 5 minutes of setup time every time I restart pc. perhaps using sleep function is better?

Offline Larken

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:45:12 »
This is my PC performance after 25 hours of Uptime. And no, PC performance feels very sluggish as we speak.

I use hibernate fucntion when I shutdown my PC to save at least 5 minutes of setup time every time I restart pc. perhaps using sleep function is better?

Honestly not sure, sorry. I'm not familiar with the 5930K, but I'm skeptical that the Ryzen 3600 makes that much of a difference; I upgraded from a FX 8320 (which is crap compared to your chip)and I used to open a lot of tabs in chrome as well without issue, usually with ram being the limiting factor.

I hibernate as well and usually don't restart my PC unless I do a driver update (about once a month, maybe longer). My uptime usually goes on for weeks. Never had any issues.

I'll leave that 50 tab of charts window open for a day or two and see how it goes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:03:44 »

It's probably the web app that's the problem.

Ask around, see if other users have the same bottleneck.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:08:19 »
I'm baffled why everyone keeps talking about upgrades. That CPU is still a monster in my book. My ancient i7-3770 (which I recently upgraded to from an i5-3570k since I got it for $7 at a recycling facility) is still playing games on max in 1920x1080 (although it is finally starting to show its age in that regard), and I notice no sluggishness at all in daily usage of Windows 10 with god-knows how many Firefox tabs, sometimes spread across 3 separate monitors. I just finally upgraded to 16gb of ram over 8gb when Ghost Recon Wildlands started complaining about it running low. For browser usage, I have noticed that only just recently has Firefox become RAM-hungry enough in Windows 10 (64 bit) to require any more than 4gb of total system memory with 20+ tabs, to prevent slowdowns. As previously stated though, I also use Ublock Origin on top of having a Raspberry Pi dedicated to Pi-hole usage to eradicate almost all incoming advertisements.

If you do feel the compulsion to upgrade, yes, go with Ryzen. If you do, send me the old rig and I'll plop my 1070 in it and use it for the next 5-7+ years with modest GPU upgrades.

1. CPU underperformance - Definitely not the problem, unless there's literally something wrong with the hardware
2. Windows 10 issue. - A definite, as of yet indeterminable, possibility
3. 980 SLI setup with 4 monitors (4k, 4k, 1440p, 1440p) causing issues. - Highly unlikely, unless there's literally something wrong with the hardware
4. SSD upgrade needed. - Definitely not the problem. Any random Chinesium Sata 3 SSD is fine for web browsing.
5. Faster internet speeds. - What are your speeds in general? Try speedtest.net. I don't find this one likely either.

I am currently running 20 tabs in FF across two windows spread between 2 corresponding displays ... with a Core 2 Duo E8400, 8gb of ram, and integrated graphics. CPU usage is hovering between 6 and 10%. Memory usage is at only 64%. The system is running Windows 7. It has whatever ancient mechanical hard drive came with it. I should add that this is not at home, on a system that I own, so Ublock Origin is my only adblocker.

The absolute bare minimum should be weekly restarts if only to flush the memory of garbage that builds up. Even if it shows you using little ram, that doesn't mean things are not dragging down the system.

Why users never restart Windows always amazes me, that's the first thing most people do when things get slow.

^ This. Windows has never been one for ... stability when running constantly. I don't even run Windows on systems I'm going to just leave on for any period of time. I like fresh reinstalls every year or two on systems I use heavily as well. Even uninstalling and installing new software over time seems to rarely ever take care of all of the now unnecessary/broken registry entries.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:19:56 by Maledicted »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:20:01 »
it matters what the chrome tabs are doing, you can have 1000s of blank pages,   but try running thousands of instances that have to compute database entries,   it's not just a browser. The browser is a portal to the web application which can be as heavy as any desktop app.

In this case, his web app is heavy and runs up against some latency wall.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:45:16 »
I am running 45 MBPS consistently

and a ping of 20 ms consistently.

As I write this, having tabs open, 85% CPU usage. 68% RAM usage.

If I go to my desktop, and drag a box with the mouse cursor and move it around - I used to do this a lot when testing monitor refreshrate - as I drag the cursor around, it feels as if I have 5 or 10 fps.

I literally think my PC is running 10-20 FPS on desktop. Not sure if I can actually measure that.

Normally, it would be smooth and my eye would not be able to see the stutters when I drag the cursor around on desktop. But it is is visible here.

I got arguments for upgrading my PC anyway... (like better performance in video games) but I wish I could pinpoint the likely issue. As if task manage could reveal exactly what goes on. it sound like even if I replaced my entire PC, it would run faster, but yet... Not of the individual replacement possibilities appears to be your point of concern.

Maybe just slowly upgrade my PC as per what I find the most relevant and see what happens?

« Last Edit: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:48:23 by Naweo »

Offline Naweo

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:01:53 »

Offline epicfacethe3rd

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:37:12 »
People, PLEASE stop recommending hardware upgrades. Hardware is 100% NOT the issue here
I'm running on what is effectively the same hardware (if anything mine is slower) with what should be the same software load with no issues and 1/4 the cpu usage
also, why has noone addressed this?
that is an absurdly high CPU idle. this is a case of windows rot. he needs to reformat his computer and reinstall his software
A lot of good info here from a lot of good people here, but I'd like to throw my 2 cents into the ring in terms of hardware.

First, your 5930k is on Haswell-E, and that architecture is old. Like, really old. If you're looking to get better performance in games, a newer cpu will do you a lot of good. I know 6 cores seems like a decent amount, but the architecture you are on has really slow IPC (single core performance). My instant recommendation would be to go for an upgrade to the AM4 platform, whether that be with a R5 3600 or better. AM4 has a phenomenal upgrade path right now, and you can go all the way up to 12 cores.

Secondly, again on the topic of an upgrade for better gaming performance, DROP SLI. I know it looks cool and you already have both cards, but it's a bad idea for modern games. A lot of newer games simply don't support SLI anymore, and even the ones that do often times have horrible micro-stuttering. I can confirm this because I personally upgraded from SLI-970's to a single 1070ti and it was an excellent upgrade. This goes doubly so if you are using a high refresh rate monitor.

again, his hardware shouldn't be on the problem. FX architecture is about as old and i have zero issues. disabling SLI is a good suggestion though.
My internet speed tests looks like they should be. steady 20-25 MS, but I get occasional spikes to 600 ms.

I know I am an idiot, but I am a bit hestitant to upgrade to AMD as I have no familiarity with using and/or assembling a PC with that. Unless you really think AMD is the go-to solution, I would want a standard good-option intel CPU.

I am actually running SLI on 4 screens, and one with high-refresh rate. Maybe that is causing problems too. I will just buy one of those 2080 graphic cards then into my upgrade.
upgrading to AMD or Intel here isn't going to make a difference in how hard it is to assemble. either way you're going to a different socket which means replacing your motherboard
Running SLI is another issue but moreso for gaming performance. try disabling it? it's a long shot but might do something
the 600ms ping spikes are odd but not entirely unreasonable
I was thinking perhaps an SSD upgrade could help. But so far I suspect the following issues:

1. CPU underperformance
2. Windows 10 issue.
4. SSD upgrade needed.
the monitors, SSD, and CPU absolutely should not be the issue here.
Wait what?
why are you not doing this already?
that is absolutely your issue
there really shouldn't be an issue when it comes to reboot times either given you have an SSD. how long does it take your computer to reboot right now?
i'd be willing to bet money that this is the issue. windows becomes super unstable when you run it for more than a day at a time. it's another thing that falls under the catagory of windows rot.
if you're worried about disk wear and/or losing progress in chrome there are things you can do to avoid that
here's my reccomendation
1.Reformat your computer and reinstall all needed programs
You are almost certainly suffering from windows rot and viruses of some kind on your computer. windows generally needs to be reinstalled yearly to avoid it getting really bad. save your important files to a USB, export your program settings, and save your stuff in chrome to a google account. Reinstall a fresh copy of windows and see how it goes. it's a bit of a hassle but honestly is entirely neccisary at this point for you
2. REBOOT DAILY
i cannot stress this enough. this is your problem. Windows is not designed to run 24/7 without an occasional reboot. without a doubt. you need to be doing this. with an SSD you should be able to simply hit the restart button on your PC and be back in business under a minute later. go get some coffee and hit the restore tabs button when you get back.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 12:06:38 »
People, PLEASE stop recommending hardware upgrades. Hardware is 100% NOT the issue here
I'm running on what is effectively the same hardware (if anything mine is slower) with what should be the same software load with no issues and 1/4 the cpu usage
also, why has noone addressed this?
that is an absurdly high CPU idle. this is a case of windows rot. he needs to reformat his computer and reinstall his software

again, his hardware shouldn't be on the problem. FX architecture is about as old and i have zero issues. disabling SLI is a good suggestion though.

upgrading to AMD or Intel here isn't going to make a difference in how hard it is to assemble. either way you're going to a different socket which means replacing your motherboard
Running SLI is another issue but moreso for gaming performance. try disabling it? it's a long shot but might do something
the 600ms ping spikes are odd but not entirely unreasonable

1. CPU underperformance
2. Windows 10 issue.
4. SSD upgrade needed.
the monitors, SSD, and CPU absolutely should not be the issue here.
Wait what?
why are you not doing this already?
that is absolutely your issue
there really shouldn't be an issue when it comes to reboot times either given you have an SSD. how long does it take your computer to reboot right now?
i'd be willing to bet money that this is the issue. windows becomes super unstable when you run it for more than a day at a time. it's another thing that falls under the catagory of windows rot.
if you're worried about disk wear and/or losing progress in chrome there are things you can do to avoid that
here's my reccomendation
1.Reformat your computer and reinstall all needed programs
You are almost certainly suffering from windows rot and viruses of some kind on your computer. windows generally needs to be reinstalled yearly to avoid it getting really bad. save your important files to a USB, export your program settings, and save your stuff in chrome to a google account. Reinstall a fresh copy of windows and see how it goes. it's a bit of a hassle but honestly is entirely neccisary at this point for you
2. REBOOT DAILY
i cannot stress this enough. this is your problem. Windows is not designed to run 24/7 without an occasional reboot. without a doubt. you need to be doing this. with an SSD you should be able to simply hit the restart button on your PC and be back in business under a minute later. go get some coffee and hit the restore tabs button when you get back.

While restore tabs work, it does not save where I had left it "as is" per se. Its as if each tab is restarted. Thats why I use the hibernate/sleep function. However, the lag has gone so badly recently that I would rather get a habit of restarting every day than otherwise not.

I re-installed my PC less than 3 months ago.

Offline Larken

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:02:59 »
Instead of going for an upgrade, I'd suggest simplifying your set up (cut down to one 980, dual monitors), format and reinstall Windows, and see if the issue remains.

Your CPU usage is way too high given what you're using it for, and it shouldn't be laggy given your specs. The 5930K was really good in its time, and it should still be great for your kind of usage, and 64gb is way overkill.

I've hibernated my pc with the 50 tabs open and am still having no issues after 24 hours.

Just checking, are you on Windows 10 64 bit?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:11:25 »
I got my router from my ISP. Yes, this is running on widows 10.

I use Crucial Mx100 SSD. 5-6 years old

I just uninstalled chrome and will see what happens.

Is it a modem, router, or modem/router combo from your ISP.
While I doubt they provided a modem and router, just making sure. ISP provided modems range from okay to quite good but I have yet to see a good modem/router combo. Almost all home based routers die after about 1.5-3 years. I always recommend a separate modem and router, this way you can not only replace the router as needed, but routers age out much faster than a modem due to wifi standards amping up faster than modem speeds.

That number is your ping, not data rate.
A high ping can be due to where you are connecting but if it's fluctuating that much it's often a sign of a router failing. This goes double if wifi signal strength is also bouncing up and down (regardless if you're using it). 600 is a massive ping, if you rent or lease your modem, call your ISP and complain. They will likely replace it but I'd ask them for just a modem then buy your own router. Look at Asus, Netgear and TP-Link and spend no less than $80 (unless it's on sale). Anything cheaper is usually garbage and other brands are less reliable. $80-$100 tends to be the sweet spot unless you need better coverage or something.

So long as your ssd does 500Mb transfer rate it's fine, despite what TP thinks, we long ago passed the point where a faster SSD really matters.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:19:27 »
Your GPU's and screens are KILLING your cpu.
You have a massively lopsided system specs and your CPU is struggling to keep up. 64gigs ram, SLI, 4 high res screens, old low core count CPU... One of these is not like the others.

I also agree, you have something causing Windows rot, but I think a big chunk is just how lopsided this system is. Some of you think this CPU is good, it WAS, and still is, UNLESS you are trying to keep 4 big screens and two GPUs dull of data.  You have all these systems that are pulling tons of data from a CPU designed in an era when we didn't have this stuff as commonplace. 4K is HARSH, there's a reason only a few connectors can handle it. It's also why many gamers use 1080 and 1440, 4k is just too much data to flow even on high end up to date hardware. Op's done a lot to get what they can out of this CPU, but at some point you have to step back and look at the whole picture.

BTW
AMD is really hardly any different than Intel, thing you may need to do a reinstall or refresh to purge old drivers.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 01:23:47 »
again, his hardware shouldn't be on the problem. disabling SLI is a good suggestion though.
His hardware absolutely could still be the problem. Now that we know that he is mixing refresh rates, I can bring up the fact that Windows has a yet unsolved known issue with mixed refresh rates. Not everyone experiences the problem, but it's been reported enough to be worth mentioning. SLI certainly can't be helping here.

Additionally, I was mostly addressing OP's comment about upgrading for better gaming performance. If you want better performance in high refresh rate games, IPC is king. Haswell-E is going to be holding OP back quite a lot at higher refresh rates. A Ryzen 3600 or better is a great option for OP here because it offers fantastic IPC as well as a high core count, which will be beneficial in newer games that use more cores, as well as OP's clearly heavy multitasking. Even if Intel is what you are used to, investing in any intel platform right now is not a smart move because the HEDT and Consumer platforms have peaked for this generation. AM4 as a socket will continue to grow and offer more options for OP down the line.

That being said, I'm also a big fan of the Windows rot theory. You've gotta let the system shut down every once in a while; computers need downtime too. I have also had great success with disabling the option "Turn on fast startup" under the "Choose what the power button does" menu. I'm no expert on the setting, but I do know that the wording is deceiving. The setting doesn't actually speed up boot/reboot times and in fact can hold onto garbage bits of data when the system turns on/off or hibernates. My personal rig used to have an issue where the screen would be black after every cold boot but turning the option off permanently fixed the issue for me. Obviously your mileage may vary, but there's no reason to not try disabling the option.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 04:06:16 »
AMD's roadmap already confirms AM4 is not going to continue to grow, it has one more refresh (I think), and then it will move down line a Duron/Sempron type processor and AM5 will take over. AM4 will still be used, but it will not be the latest and greatest and if you start out upper end on it now, there's going to be very little room to upgrade it later. Not that the Intel lineup is better.

You are right systems need to flush the ram and Win10's "fastboot" doesn't always do a full purge. On Win7 and earlier shutdown was an actual shutdown, on 8.1 and 10 (and possibly 8.0)  shutdown means dump the ram to drive and go into a deep sleep. A reboot purges it better (same as reboot on 7 and such) but it's still not purging everything because of TSR's, terminal stay residents, programs that remain in ram even through reboots, viruses are known to do this and any memory leak could possible and browsers are WELL known for memory leaks. You either need to disable fast boot as that will force normal startup/shutdown behavior or hold shift when you click shutdown, this will bring up the menu system and allow a true shutdown and memory purge. It only needs to be off long enough to dump any stray voltage which will purge the ram, then it can start again fresh and clean.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Naweo

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 04:14:27 »
I appreciate all the input. This is my problem solving steplist. If any one does not solve the issue, I will proceed to the next:

1. Upgrade CPU. Would do this anyway.
2. Reformat & Reinstall
3. Upgrade GPU
4. Upgrade SSD
5. Perform system restart with slow reboot every nights sleep.
6. Downgrade system, or change to multiple computers using input director.

Upgrade Options for starters:

Z390 + 9900k
Z390 + 3950X Ryzen
Z390 + 3800x Ryzen

These CPU upgrade options sound reasonable, or do you have different suggestions?

As for GPU, to get some high-end upgrade from a single 980 GPU, I was thinking on going for a 2070 geforce card.

As a sidenote, when I use my laptop with 2 screens, I am not even remotely experiencing the same kind of lag. I re-installed my current system literally just 3 months ago. Hopefully this step-by-step approach will solve the problem entirely. If not at the least, restarting PC every night will.

Currently thinking on going for the following specs:

https://gyazo.com/6c984085a87d2f31b91390f13c82a1a6

Corsair RM 750 PSU
Crucial MX100 SSD
Geforce 2070 GPU
AMD Ryzen 3900x
Asus Z390 Motherboard
Noctua ND-H15 Air Cooling (Not bothered with setting up watercooling and I am not going to OC hardware anyway. Need best stock/turbo performance)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2020, 05:19:49 by Naweo »

Offline Naweo

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 04:26:41 »
Instead of going for an upgrade, I'd suggest simplifying your set up (cut down to one 980, dual monitors), format and reinstall Windows, and see if the issue remains.

Your CPU usage is way too high given what you're using it for, and it shouldn't be laggy given your specs. The 5930K was really good in its time, and it should still be great for your kind of usage, and 64gb is way overkill.

I've hibernated my pc with the 50 tabs open and am still having no issues after 24 hours.

Just checking, are you on Windows 10 64 bit?

Appreciate the work and testing. Yes, win 10 64 gb.

I needed to ugprade ram, as after 2-3 days I literally ran out of memory. 32 GB was fully occupied.