geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Why do you use Linux over Windows?

<< < (7/8) > >>

yui:
well when your product is free to use there is not much point in making a limited license, revoking it would have about no effects, while for microsoft with they rather high price (well extremely high price considering the polish and support compared to linux), revoking a license means making money, so of course they want to option, the more limits there is the higher the chances you will have to buy multiple licenses.

cest73:
The first time i read that W11 is going to be released i went:

"LOL Certainly they've meant X11?"
 ;D

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: yui on Fri, 23 July 2021, 00:35:24 ---well when your product is free to use there is not much point in making a limited license, revoking it would have about no effects, while for microsoft with they rather high price (well extremely high price considering the polish and support compared to linux), revoking a license means making money, so of course they want to option, the more limits there is the higher the chances you will have to buy multiple licenses.

--- End quote ---
Certain places have mandatory support periods for anything you sell, revoking your license to use it means they can wash their hands of your problems and you have no recourse. Not all licenses are about you, they're about indemnifying the creator.

Polish?
A good Linux DE is just as polished as Windows and for every fault you will find on the Linux DE I can find just as many faults in the Windows DE (how about those control panels). They may be more glaring at times on the Linux DE than the Windows DE, but they're there.

As for support
You haven't actually called MS for support have you? Most people call the system vendor in which case the OS vendor doesn't matter. Few realize this, but MS charges you for support. It's not free even if you have a license.

foxieze:

--- Quote from: cest73 on Fri, 23 July 2021, 05:16:36 ---The first time i read that W11 is going to be released i went:

"LOL Certainly they've meant X11?"
 ;D

--- End quote ---

ha - i thought the exact same thing when i was scrolling through reddit the other day!

yui:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Fri, 23 July 2021, 06:44:57 ---
--- Quote from: yui on Fri, 23 July 2021, 00:35:24 ---well when your product is free to use there is not much point in making a limited license, revoking it would have about no effects, while for microsoft with they rather high price (well extremely high price considering the polish and support compared to linux), revoking a license means making money, so of course they want to option, the more limits there is the higher the chances you will have to buy multiple licenses.

--- End quote ---
Certain places have mandatory support periods for anything you sell, revoking your license to use it means they can wash their hands of your problems and you have no recourse. Not all licenses are about you, they're about indemnifying the creator.

Polish?
A good Linux DE is just as polished as Windows and for every fault you will find on the Linux DE I can find just as many faults in the Windows DE (how about those control panels). They may be more glaring at times on the Linux DE than the Windows DE, but they're there.

As for support
You haven't actually called MS for support have you? Most people call the system vendor in which case the OS vendor doesn't matter. Few realize this, but MS charges you for support. It's not free even if you have a license.

--- End quote ---
you read me completely backward, i was saying MS was expensive given the polish and support of their OS, i meant that linux distro, often free, have better polish and better support than the very expensive windows, because i had to deal with windows support, and hundreds of bugs supports just knows about and just do not know what to do to fix or alleviate them.
not that i spend my time on OS threads here complaining about windows complete lack of polish, if you can call it polish at this point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version