Author Topic: Logitech G910 Orion Spark - mini review  (Read 18607 times)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Logitech G910 Orion Spark - mini review
« on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:24:13 »
This arrived yesterday, and I had a chance to play around with it a bit. First off, let me say that yes... it's a pretty tacky keyboard (depending on your own personal tastes),
but we all know that any keyboard labeled as 'gaming' is going to be a bit overboard. For the purposes I purchased this keyboard for, it does the job well (MMO Gaming)

The packaging is well done, and sturdy:

And on to the keyboard itself:

My immediate thought was 'it looks a lot less bulky than most gaming keyboards'. Feels extremely well built, and has a solid feel. Definitely not flimsy.

The 'Arx' dock:

I have not yet gotten around to using this feature yet. I have downloaded the software for it to my iPhone, and it seems interesting. I will update this piece when
I have more time to mess with it.

Media Controls:

I really like the quality feel of the buttons, and the volume wheel is smooth, as well.

And now the switches:

My thoughts on these switches; A shorter travel MX Brown, essentially. Seems slightly more tactile, and extremely responsive in games. There is a satisfying 'click', and typing is an enjoyable task.
Better than Topre? IMO, no... BUT... for gaming, yes, absolutely. No doubt these switches were meant for gaming.

The keycaps; I like the scooped tops, but it definitely takes some getting used to. It definitely cut down on typing errors, as my fingers were more certain of where each caps edges were. It feels nice
on the WASD, but I am not too sure I like them on ALL of the caps. The interface for the cap to the switch is also interesting... maybe Romer-G-compatible Bro Caps in the future? :p

Default lighting configuration:

When you first plug the G910 into a USB input, you are greeted with a light effects show to give you a sample of what the keyboard is capable of. It's pretty neat. (I should have taken video -_-)

My custom gaming lighting layout:

Setting up the lighting layout in the software is super easy:

You essentially just pick a color (from the color wheel), and either click on a key within the keymap, or drag and select several keys. Typically, when these companies release gaming keyboards, the software is usually lacking.
But this was an extremely intuitive setup.

I will end by saying; I know you are probably thinking 'wtf bro...', and I can understand where you are coming from. But I will say that for the past day, and whilst gaming, I have really enjoyed using this keyboard. Like
any key switch, it's all a matter of personal preference. I know a lot of 'gaming' labeled keyboards are typically crap, but I am definitely happy with this one. I don't see me using it for every day tasks, but for gaming, it's
definitely going to be my go-to keyboard.

Hope you enjoyed this mini-review. If you have any specific questions about it, you can ask here or send me a PM.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 17:14:19 by Bro Caps »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Logitech G910
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:33:18 »
Nice review!  While I don't see myself getting one, it is really great to see companies innovating and making their own switches.  That's a really positive step for the community as a whole.  Also, it looks a lot better than I thought it might have (I'm not typically a fan of "gaming" peripherals).

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:34:29 »
Seems like Logitech might have a winner with this.  Of course it won't appeal to all but glad to hear this is a nice board.  I have always loved Logitech products.  When you say there is a click are you talking about bottoming out noise or built in click?  Also if you are able I would love to hear you typing on them, as I don't think I've seen a video where you can really hear them. 

Thanks for the review.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:35:23 »
I'm really glad someone picked this board up. I'm most curious about those switches and this review has me even more intrigued about them. Wonder if my local Microcenter will have them...

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:36:57 »
Seems like Logitech might have a winner with this.  Of course it won't appeal to all but glad to hear this is a nice board.  I have always loved Logitech products.  When you say there is a click are you talking about bottoming out noise or built in click?  Also if you are able I would love to hear you typing on them, as I don't think I've seen a video where you can really hear them. 

Thanks for the review.

So the click, as best I can describe it, is a muted MX Blue. It's definitely a much lighter and quieter click than MX blues. But it's definitely switch click noise. There is bottoming out sound, but that's also not too bad.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:40:46 »
Usually I'm only into vintage boards but I'm really digging on this. :thumb:

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Glissant

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:41:40 »
Are there loadable profiles for the colors? Because I can see people wanting to share their creations. Rainbows and flags are the first that come to mind.

And damn; now I want to try those switches too..

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:42:29 »
looks like a fun board, the shorter travel on the switches really has me wanting to try one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:43:32 »
Bro Caps, would you possibly consider lending this out or to tour?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:44:35 »
Are there loadable profiles for the colors? Because I can see people wanting to share their creations. Rainbows and flags are the first that come to mind.

And damn; now I want to try those switches too..

The 'M' keys at the top left are what you use to switch profiles. I haven't messed with multiple profiles yet, though.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:45:48 »
Bro Caps, would you possibly consider lending this out or to tour?

I would, if I didn't need it for gaming :P

I am sure most Fry's Electronics and Micro Center type stores will have them on display to play around with

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:47:46 »
REDACTED
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:52:20 by tjcaustin »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:48:54 »
Don't let him fool you, he's just trying to get a jump on offering novelty caps for the new switch.

Shhhhhh.... don't tell anyone :(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:52:32 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:54:07 »
I would, if I didn't need it for gaming :P

I am sure most Fry's Electronics and Micro Center type stores will have them on display to play around with

But how can you be gaming if you're making keycaps?  ;)

Thanks for at least replying. I'll have to head to Microcenter this weekend :)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 17:06:13 »
That's pretty interesting actually. Thanks for the writeup.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Logitech G910 Orion Spark - mini review
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 17:31:13 »
Should this be in reviews, not media?

Very courageous of Logitech to release something like this - weird lighting, oddly shaped keycaps.

Not sure it really grabs me, although I'd be curious to try it and see.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 17:35:18 »

Very courageous of Logitech to release something like this - weird lighting, oddly shaped keycaps.

Been using it a lot more today, and I gotta say that I really like the switches. A lot more than I thought I would.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 03:57:31 »

Been using it a lot more today, and I gotta say that I really like the switches. A lot more than I thought I would.

Is it the lighting, or have those keycaps got oddly shaped upper surfaces?  If they are unevently shaped, does that affect the typing feel?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 04:10:24 »

Bro has spoken, looks like another keyboard to add to our collection.  Didn't think Logitech would ever design their own switches (unlike Razer who simply ripped off Cherry's).

Just wish they would make a TKL version  ^-^ .

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:17:56 »
I ordered one too.
Will be interesting to see how they stack up against MX browns.
Someone else said that the feel is similar to MX Clears, but don't clears have a more obvious bump than blues?

I love me some colors, but for those who want a more traditional keyboard with colors, doesn't the ducky shine 4 have MX clears, now?  I wonder how they compare...

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:24:56 »

Is it the lighting, or have those keycaps got oddly shaped upper surfaces?  If they are unevently shaped, does that affect the typing feel?

The keycaps are cupped. I like the on the wasd for sure. Still getting used to regular typing with them. Doesn't affect the feel, but it seems to cut down on misclicks.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:26:23 »
I ordered one too.
Will be interesting to see how they stack up against MX browns.
Someone else said that the feel is similar to MX Clears, but don't clears have a more obvious bump than blues?

I love me some colors, but for those who want a more traditional keyboard with colors, doesn't the ducky shine 4 have MX clears, now?  I wonder how they compare...

Definitely a mix of mx browns and mx blues (lighter click). The tactility is slightly higher than browns, but definitely not as much as clears. Either way, I really am liking them.

Now if Logitech would make a TKL version, that would be perfect.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:28:02 »
What's the arx?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 10:37:51 »
What's the arx?

Its a dock station for your phone. There is software that supports the keyboard for iPhone and Android. It give in-game info for supported games

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 15:19:01 »
Ok important question.
I use ESDF, not WASD, so are the WASD keys cupped differently than the rest of the keys?  I think that would cause problems for an ESDF person, right?  Are there 'regular' wasd keys that have the exact same cup as the rest of the keyboard keys?
Or are all of the keys cupped the exact same way, but the WASD simply has a unique logo on it?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:58:04 »
Ok important question.
I use ESDF, not WASD, so are the WASD keys cupped differently than the rest of the keys?  I think that would cause problems for an ESDF person, right?  Are there 'regular' wasd keys that have the exact same cup as the rest of the keyboard keys?
Or are all of the keys cupped the exact same way, but the WASD simply has a unique logo on it?

All of the keycaps are the same shape, so you shouldn't have an issue with that at all. I was making a comment of preferring the cupped shape to only be on the WASD (just a personal preference).

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 12:11:26 »
What's the arx?

Its a dock station for your phone. There is software that supports the keyboard for iPhone and Android. It give in-game info for supported games

That's pretty cool

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 17:13:46 »
here's a vid which shows a closeup of the key travel & sound:

Offline intelli78

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 02:10:14 »
Can you make a typing test video? There are a few on YouTube but they're just slow presses, not touch typing.

How do you feel about the board a month later?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 06:58:49 »
This thing just looks gaudy as hell. The overall shape, lighting, fonts, and cap sculpt are just so weird.
This isn't even the "Miami" level of gaudy, it's just plain ugly.

I'm interested that it does provide a different feel, but other than that it just doesn't seem like something I would ever want to have on my desk.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 10:36:59 »
This thing just looks gaudy as hell. The overall shape, lighting, fonts, and cap sculpt are just so weird.
This isn't even the "Miami" level of gaudy, it's just plain ugly.

I'm interested that it does provide a different feel, but other than that it just doesn't seem like something I would ever want to have on my desk.

To each his own....