Author Topic: [IC] KAM Little Pilot – Group Buy Starts December 6th  (Read 65497 times)

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
[IC] KAM Little Pilot – Group Buy Starts December 6th
« on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 21:54:07 »
An Isle of Dogs inspired keyset

Group Buy Info

Starts December 6th, 2019

Asia – zFrontier
US – TheKey.Company
EU – Mykeyboard.eu
CA – Deskhero.ca

Kits

Sample photos

Renders

More
Updates

4/10/18  Modifiers changed to all text, consistent visual style
4/11/18  Cleaned up all hiragana characters, updated renders
4/13/18  Missing punctuation legends added
4/17/18  Updated existing kits and added new kits for ISO, tsangan, ortho, ergo, spacebars
4/19/18  Renamed tsangan to exotic and added a few extra keys
4/25/18  Removed uncommon spacebars, moved 7u and 6u to exotic kit
4/27/18  Numpad simplified, 1.25u shift to ISO, 2u and 2.25u shift moved to exotic
5/01/18  Added 1.75u control to exotic, fixed shift 1.75u in 40s
5/09/18  Prepping design files to handoff for sample production
5/10/18  Assets handed off to manufacturer, sample being produced
5/17/18  Working on shiba inu face novelty, packaging design
5/31/18  Still awaiting sample, novelty design finished, package design still WIP
6/04/18  Sample expected this week
6/09/18  Samples received by zFrontier! Modifications in prog
7/07/18  All kit and packaging designs complete and sent to zFrontier. Waiting for news on color fixes.
7/11/18  Now KAM profile, GB pushed by 1-2 months, waiting on new samples
8/24/18  zFrontier requesting samples from Keyreative in September
12/09/18 Starry Night R2 was delayed, so samples for this set are also delayed

08/21/19 Round 2 of KAM samples made, after I approve them we can kick off group buy!
05/21/19 Alpha letters will be larger, no other updates!

More

Been working on this since I saw Isle of Dogs last month. I absolutely loved the typography and wanted to use the typeface and colors in a set.
The type uses Lineto's Brown in Bold Italic just like the film and alphas also include hiragana characters. Many SP produced keycaps use their very large text but I've always been a fan of smaller, more minimal type. It's my first time designing a keycap set so feedback and advice is appreciated! Would be so cool to make this real.

Also noting I have the font licensed from Lineto, and my design doesn't infringe on any copyrights (no images or assets from the film, colors are not exact).

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2019, 12:30:31 by kema »

Offline Sshimosawa

Re: [IC] DSA Inu
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 22:05:22 »
I never use DSA but this is so awesome, that I will.

Offline etatauri

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:35:20 »
Looks crisp! Kind of looks like my High Contrast Dolch from SP, but I like that the modifier legends aren't black. The Red Japanese font also complements the color scheme of the board very well.
Input Club K-Type / Vortex Pok3r / Magicforce 21 / Razor Blackwidow
MX Clear / MX Blue / IC Halo Clear / NK Box Pale Blue / NK Box Navy
SP DSA HC Dolch / SP Dye Sub DSA / SP SA Dasher / MD MT3 /dev/tty / KC Strong Spirit

Offline Allo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 April 2018, 23:40:53 »
I love the font, but you are all over the place with your modifiers. You have icon tab and backspace, text shift, and text + icon enter. I would choose one of those style and keep it consistent throughout.

Offline gilmoregrills

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 03:40:46 »
That font is really nice, but agreed on the modifiers. I'd love options of all text/all icon mods.

Offline garbo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 05:39:57 »
As far as I can tell, this would need to have either reverse dye sub modifiers, new double shot moulds and pad printed secondary legends for the alphas, or a mixture of pbt alphas and abs modifiers. This would be ambitious, expensive or undesirable, respectively.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:32:59 »
Holy moly. Now I found my first DSA set. And yes, please adjust the modifiers. Overall, great stuff  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 06:42:09 »
As far as I can tell, this would need to have either reverse dye sub modifiers, new double shot moulds and pad printed secondary legends for the alphas, or a mixture of pbt alphas and abs modifiers. This would be ambitious, expensive or undesirable, respectively.

Reverse dye sub should be possible. Look at DSA Starry Night, that has some super high quality reverse dye sub.

GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 07:31:29 »
I think you need to decide on one mod style. I like the alphas but I think both legends need to be larger. They're so tiny
keyboards.

Offline garbo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 07:36:31 »

Reverse dye sub should be possible. Look at DSA Starry Night, that has some super high quality reverse dye sub.

Show Image

That's true, the novelties in starry night are pretty next level and it would be cool to this done through a manufacturer with similar dye-sub skills.

It also seems doing new moulds on SP's DSA isn't quite as bad as I'd thought—that weird 2077 keyset on massdrop wasn't so expensive at lowish MOQs. The secondary legends would still need to be pad printed separately, though.

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 10:51:11 »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I'll work on the modifiers and update the post tonight!

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 10:52:41 »
this set is fantastic. i normally don't ever get dsa but i would just for this set.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 11:02:35 »
Not a fan of the sublegends. I would be very into this with Monolegends as an option.

The numrow is especially cluttered with up to 4 legends on some keys.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 11:57:47 »
I love the colors but I don't know any Japanese so I'd feel weird using this.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 22:17:42 »
Changed all the modifiers to text and made them all visually consistent, really digging the clean look of all type. Typography was such a huge part of the film so it didn't make sense to have symbols. Thanks everyone who suggested it.

Here it is in a render:
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 April 2018, 22:19:52 by kema »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 23:33:36 »
Looks much better with the all-text legends IMO.

And as has been mentioned I think you'd be better off contacting the Chinese company (companies?) that does reverse dye-sub rather than trying to figure out how to stick with SP since it'd either be expensive and eh (full set of custom legends if going ABS and even then needing pad-printing) or weird (ABS mod/PBT alpha mix).

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 00:15:06 »
Changed all the modifiers to text and made them all visually consistent, really digging the clean look of all type. Typography was such a huge part of the film so it didn't make sense to have symbols. Thanks everyone who suggested it.

Show Image

Here it is in a render:
Show Image

the all text is really good

this set is actually really nice, voted on MD and might pick it up if it goes to GB

TGR alice support pls
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 00:17:36 »

And as has been mentioned I think you'd be better off contacting the Chinese company (companies?) that does reverse dye-sub rather than trying to figure out how to stick with SP since it'd either be expensive and eh (full set of custom legends if going ABS and even then needing pad-printing) or weird (ABS mod/PBT alpha mix).

I'll definitely look more into manufacturing options if this design gains enough interest! I knew it probably would've been expensive to produce when designing it, but really wanted to make something that wasn't just a recolor with reused legend styles. For now it's just a dream.. Thanks for the guidance though, Chinese manufacturing might be the only realistic option here.

« Last Edit: Wed, 11 April 2018, 00:24:07 by kema »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 00:19:31 »

I'll definitely look more into manufacturing options if this design gains enough interest! I knew it probably would've been expensive to produce when designing it, but really wanted to make something that wasn't just a recolor with reused legend styles. For now it's just a dream.. Thanks for the guidance though, Chinese manufacturing might be the only realistic option here.

get in touch with whoever did DSA drifter, i think it was zFrontier
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 00:28:02 »
the all text is really good

this set is actually really nice, voted on MD and might pick it up if it goes to GB

TGR alice support pls

get in touch with whoever did DSA drifter, i think it was zFrontier

Will do, thanks for the lead and the support! Also will look into supporting TGR Alice and other keyboards, adding that to my to-do list.

Offline romeo

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 09:29:27 »
this is a nice looking set

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 16:50:58 »
Looking nice. I guess this would require custom molds for ABS double-shot, or then some precision-work in PBT reverse dyesub. Which one did you have in mind?

Definitely interested. It looks original and cool.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 19:12:53 »
Looking nice. I guess this would require custom molds for ABS double-shot, or then some precision-work in PBT reverse dyesub. Which one did you have in mind?

Probably double shot ABS with the red hiragana characters pad printed!

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 04:30:33 »

Probably double shot ABS with the red hiragana characters pad printed!
Ok, thanks. Good luck with the set!
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline geewizwow

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:14:50 »
Nice set, I'm in if it runs. GL

Offline Sadert

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 14:33:34 »
Also in if this runs. Looks sick man. Hoping to see this product!

Offline Vizir

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 18:50:48 »
what about support for hhkb and others (atreus/ergo)?

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 23:42:38 »

Not looking to support hhkb, but looking into an ergo kit (to work with many types of ergo style keyboards), will have to do some research on those since I don't know much about them. If you have any resources I can check out let me know!

Offline Vizir

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 00:27:25 »

Not looking to support hhkb, but looking into an ergo kit (to work with many types of ergo style keyboards), will have to do some research on those since I don't know much about them. If you have any resources I can check out let me know!
The ones I'm familiar with are ergodox and atreus/Planck based.

Ergodox info: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71247.0

Atreus/ZenKeyboard/OrthoSplit/Let's split: You will need to add ortholinear keyboard keycaps for the modifiers. See zen keyboard.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 00:37:53 »

HHKB/tsangan is super important, i probably won't pick it up without support for those

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 01:49:56 »
HHKB/tsangan is super important, i probably won't pick it up without support for those

Referencing this: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-xda-godspeed-custom-keycap-set/talk/1773549
Looks like I'll need alphas, base mods, numpad, ortho, 40%, tsangan, ergo, ISO, and space bars so I have some work to do this weekend. HHKB are topre switches afaik, are you referring to custom mx HHKBs or just the layout?

Offline Vizir

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 09:06:24 »

Referencing this: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-mito-xda-godspeed-custom-keycap-set/talk/1773549
Looks like I'll need alphas, base mods, numpad, ortho, 40%, tsangan, ergo, ISO, and space bars so I have some work to do this weekend. HHKB are topre switches afaik, are you referring to custom mx HHKBs or just the layout?
Pretty sure it's the layout. Most people who want custom caps on topre have modded their hhkb stems to mx ones. We are not asking for topre keycaps, only mx ones.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 20:11:00 »
Yeah, when people ask for HHKB support they largely mean the style of layout since it's become fairly popular to use on custom MX boards.  Though with the easily accessible topre-to-mx sliders around, it also refers to the HHKB itself too other than the spacebar.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 10:45:46 »

MX HHKBs

1.5x mods, split backspace, split right shift, and maybe a 6u spacebar

vitally important layout to support

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 13:17:08 »

MX HHKBs

Yup, all my new 60% and larger boards either support split backspace and split right shift or don't get bought. Larger ones are WKL as well.
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 13:27:46 »
Pretty sure it's the layout. Most people who want custom caps on topre have modded their hhkb stems to mx ones. We are not asking for topre keycaps, only mx ones.

Yeah, when people ask for HHKB support they largely mean the style of layout since it's become fairly popular to use on custom MX boards.  Though with the easily accessible topre-to-mx sliders around, it also refers to the HHKB itself too other than the spacebar.

MX HHKBs

Gotcha, thanks everyone! Still learning about keycap stuff as I go. Should have everything listed under "to-do" up for review tomorrow.

Offline bryankoorean

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 14:55:02 »
Why does the main picture on the forum show a keycap with the van goh drawing but this actual thread doesn’t show anything about that?

Where are the keycaps with the van goh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 01:10:01 »
Added kits for ISO, tsangan, ortho, ergo, and spacebars.
Please let me know if I'm missing any keys or added too many! I tried to use MiTo's XDA Godspeed kits as reference.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 12:36:30 »
Added kits for ISO, tsangan, ortho, ergo, and spacebars.
Please let me know if I'm missing any keys or added too many! I tried to use MiTo's XDA Godspeed kits as reference.

A 7u spacebar would be great. I guess Tsangan contains 1.5u mods so maybe add it to the same kit to make it partly a WKL kit?
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 12:48:58 »
A 7u spacebar would be great. I guess Tsangan contains 1.5u mods so maybe add it to the same kit to make it partly a WKL kit?

Ah shoot I forgot to attach the spacebar kit to the post, will do that when I get home. It includes 7u, 6.5u, 6.25u, 6u, 5.5u, 4.5u, 2x 3u, 2x 2.75u, 2x 2.25u, 2u and 1.75u spacebars.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 17:33:14 »

Ah shoot I forgot to attach the spacebar kit to the post, will do that when I get home. It includes 7u, 6.5u, 6.25u, 6u, 5.5u, 4.5u, 2x 3u, 2x 2.75u, 2x 2.25u, 2u and 1.75u spacebars.
Ah, in that case, no worries then!
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB:

Offline meniscus-

Re: [IC] DSA Inu (Feedback request on kits)
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 12:55:45 »
Awesome.

What's the next step?
Anything larger than a 65% is extraneous!

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 19:53:50 »
Awesome.

What's the next step?

Reach out to manufacturers/partners!

Offline meniscus-

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 18:57:23 »

Reach out to manufacturers/partners!

Can't wait.

Offline Allo

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 19:35:49 »
Shouldn't the exotic kit have a 7u spacebar for WKL layouts? The 40s kit and the Ortho kit both have the spacebars they need, so shouldn't the wkl kit have it's spacebar?

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 16:08:01 »
Received word from Signature Plastics, everything will need to be pad printed to maintain detail. Will be receiving some samples to check out the quality, and to see if a clear coat is necessary. Also modifying some of the kits for viability. Still looking into other manufacturing/partner options!

Edit: Partnering with zFrontier now!
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2018, 01:51:27 by kema »

Offline meniscus-

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 20:10:59 »
Is there a reason laser filled/ablation isn't possible? It might work better than pad printing, which is generally gross.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 April 2018, 20:35:03 by meniscus- »

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 01:48:14 »
So things happened quickly and I'll be partnering with zFrontier to produce this set! Looks like we won't have to pad print after all!

Offline crystalhand

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:51:00 »
That is great news.  Glad to hear that things are moving forward.  I really like the clean look of the set.  My only gripe is the arrows for direction.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:19:46 »
So things happened quickly and I'll be partnering with zFrontier to produce this set! Looks like we won't have to pad print after all!

Great news! Pad printing would have been pretty much a definite no from me but this keeps me in the loop. :)
Current:
Coming up:
IC/GB: