Author Topic: Backspace Placement for Left Thumb?  (Read 7259 times)

Offline liist

Backspace Placement for Left Thumb?
« on: Sat, 18 June 2011, 23:47:50 »
I realized through constant heavy typing as a lowly-paid dictation transcriptionist that the main thing causing me pain is having to twist my wrist for the backspace. I sometimes alleviate this problem by wearing a wrist brace that keeps my right wrist still, and then I get in the habit of moving my hand instead of twisting my wrist.

But I'd figure if there's any keyboard that has a great placement for the spacebar, and preferably a mechanical keyboard. I know the TrulyErgonomic fits the bill but obviously it's not a real product.

I kind of like the better placement of the spacebar on a HHKB, but I'm pretty sure i can find a nice ergo keyboard with mechanical switches for less, right?
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline Titmouse

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 07:05:36 »
What about mapping the left capslock to a backspace, like in Colemak?
"Surprise! We threw away your old ugly keyboard and got you a brand new ergonomic keyboard from Microsoft!"  -- Findecanor

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 23:53:58 »
yea remapping is the answer either software or hardware hacking.

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 03:34:45 »
If you want a real product, try a Kinesis Advantage, which has lots of keys (space, enter, backspace, etc on the thumbs). It's pricey though, but sure beats wearing wrist braces and whatnot. Very often you can find used ones though, on ebay or craigslist, etc. The old models were called "Contoured", if you search for Kinesis Contoured on ebay right now, there's a real old one, but current bid is only $32 !!!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 04:53:37 »
Liist, what I'm using might help. I've got my keyboard remapped to resemble a Matias Optimizer style of layout.

What this entails is this:
- My Caps Lock is mapped as an extra CTRL key.
- The CTRL key does double duty as a key modifier
- When CTRL is held down and any keys that are mapped to backspace are pressed, it triggers the backspace
- I have these keys mapped to backspace: "p, [, ]"

Fans of the HHKB will recognize this as being similar to the HHKB layout, but I rather like this version better. I won't explain here, but you can read my review in the previous link if you really want to know.

This alternate layout will still be using your pinky finger to hit backspace, but you won't have to reach for the "backspace" key.

You could just as easily map the "i" key to backspace when the CTRL key is held down so to backspace, you just hold CTRL and strike the "i" key. Your fingers never have to leave home row. The reason why I don't have "i" mapped that way is because I have "i" mapped as the up arrow in an alternate inverted T arrow pad when CTRL is held.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline liist

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 00:29:30 »
Remapping is not an option at work because it's basically a sweatshop with computers and I really wouldn't need such an exotic keyboard like the Kinesis unless I was working full-time in the summer like I am now. The systems are locked down very tightly so I wouldn't even know how to get the keyboard input setting to Dvorak on the thing as control panel is shut down completely.

I think the Kinesis is the best option for me, but are there any other keyboards on the market besides the Kinesis that would have left thumb as backspace? I only use my right thumb for the spacebar.

My pay is purely performance-based so the faster I type, the better. Would getting a Kinesis slow me down considerably at first? Will I be able to type as fast as I can on a regular layout?
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline sordna

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 00:54:48 »
The good think about the Kinesis, is that it's dvorak switchable and remappable without any software. You just press a key combination on the keyboard. No drivers, no software or anything, so it works the same for Windows, Mac, Linux, whatever. As long as the computer has a visible USB port, you're in business! The computer sees it as a regular QWERTY keyboard at all times, no matter how wildly you remap keys.

The only bad thing about it is the function keys are little rubber keys, not real switches, not sure if you use function keys a lot.

Regarding typing speed, you will be slower at first, till you get used to it, so I would use it at home first. However within a couple of weeks you should be at the same speed, and after a month you should be faster than before, because the key locations are very predictable, and also there's less movement for the fingers since they keys are in straight columns and not in the staggered zig-zag arrangement. Here's demo I found on youtube:

[video=youtube;hxH7Uith0tQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxH7Uith0tQ[/video]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 01:10:36 »
The Kinesis is a different animal. I found it easier, more comfortable, and faster almost from the very beginning. Then again, other people just stare at it and can barely touch it. I've modified the rubber f-keys to cherry switches/keycaps (see my sig), and that improved the overall typing experience.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 01:26:54 »
Yes, I didn't have problems adjusting either. I was smiling smiling smiling when I first got it, it was a keyboard that MADE SENSE.
If you type for a living, it's a great investment. Unless you go for a special model like the LF with red switches, or a used one, a great dealer is Fentek:

http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergo.htm#Kinesis%20Advantage

they sell it for $269 (lower price than factory direct) and still give you the Kinesis 60-day money back warranty. That's where I got my first one, back in 2004.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 09:29:01 »
Quote from: sordna;364595
If you want a real product, try a Kinesis Advantage, which has lots of keys (space, enter, backspace, etc on the thumbs). It's pricey though, but sure beats wearing wrist braces and whatnot. Very often you can find used ones though, on ebay or craigslist, etc. The old models were called "Contoured", if you search for Kinesis Contoured on ebay right now, there's a real old one, but current bid is only $32 !!!

You know if you keep telling everybody, the price will go much much higher ;P
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline DesktopJinx

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 10:25:21 »
I have two hardware-only suggestions, both split adjustable ergonomic keyboards.

1. Kinesis Freestyle, modified by Kinesis to permanently redefine the left spacebar as a backspace. They don't advertise the reprogramming so far as I know, I just heard it mentioned here at geekhack and fired off an email to confirm; I'll be sending mine in for this mod soon. This is a rubber dome keyboard, but it has a lighter 45g activation force (versus 65g for buckling spring, Cherry blues, and I think most conventional rubber domes). It definitely has a little of that rubber-dome wiggle, but I think it feels and works better than any "free with PC" keyboard. $99 for the Solo. I have the Freestyle V3 which allows tenting the keyboard, $134, or $123.95 if you buy the Solo and V3 clips separately. (They're super-easy to attach.)

2. IBM M15 SelectEase Split Adjustable keyboard. I've had two of these since new as my daily keyboards, and I love them. Rare as hen's teeth and ebay'd accordingly -- the last two went for $665 and $735 iirc -- this 16-year-old board uses buckling springs, and the left spacebar can be set to be a backspace key with a dipswitch on the back edge of the keyboard. (Once enabled, you can use Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Space to cycle through three modes: left-backspace, right=backspace, both=space. In practice, I set the dipswitch out of the box and never touched it or the hotkey sequence, except once just this morning just to test it.) They're PS/2 and you'll need a "blue cube" PS/2-USB adapter to use them on a USB-only system (or on some new PS/2 systems, even, because they don't seem to get the PS/2 spec quite right). Like all buckling springs, the M15 is f'ing loud -- people in adjacent cubicles will notice. (Cherry blues seem just as loud, and browns almost as loud, to my untrained ears.) Also, being as expensive as it is, you might not feel comfortable leaving it out where people can swipe it, though it's rare and odd-looking and un-awesome beige so only a keyboard geek or someone who hears you brag about how much they go for on ebay would know to steal it in the first place.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 June 2011, 10:26:24 by DesktopJinx »
M15 for life

Offline sordna

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 12:37:05 »
Quote from: ironman31;365222
You know if you keep telling everybody, the price will go much much higher ;P

I told liist first! I guess you are saying I shouldn't have told you :-)

Anyway, please do ask fentek-ind if they can sell the LF model, and what their price would be!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 13:45:18 »
Quote from: DesktopJinx;365267
I have two hardware-only suggestions, both split adjustable ergonomic keyboards.

1. Kinesis Freestyle, modified by Kinesis to permanently redefine the left spacebar as a backspace. They don't advertise the reprogramming so far as I know, I just heard it mentioned here at geekhack and fired off an email to confirm; I'll be sending mine in for this mod soon. This is a rubber dome keyboard, but it has a lighter 45g activation force (versus 65g for buckling spring, Cherry blues, and I think most conventional rubber domes). It definitely has a little of that rubber-dome wiggle, but I think it feels and works better than any "free with PC" keyboard. $99 for the Solo. I have the Freestyle V3 which allows tenting the keyboard, $134, or $123.95 if you buy the Solo and V3 clips separately. (They're super-easy to attach.)

I have the PC and the MAC version of this keyboard, and it is pleasant to type with. Kinesis does the reprogramming for the left spacebar as well, which seems like a no-brainer to me. Please let me know how the experience is with the conversion.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline ironman31

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 June 2011, 17:19:00 »
Quote from: sordna;365325
I told liist first! I guess you are saying I shouldn't have told you :-)

Anyway, please do ask fentek-ind if they can sell the LF model, and what their price would be!

Just sent an email asking about the price and availability.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline hoggy

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 11:09:52 »
Be careful wearing those braces.  They're great in the short-term, not so much long term. If you haven't done so already, talk to your doctor...

The Kinesis Advantage is a great keyboard - especially if you are having wrist problems.  The closest alternative is a maltron.  Both will take around 3 weeks to get used to - possibly longer.

Yet another option would be a pos keyboard.  Tipro or Access have keyboards that you can reprogram the firmware - they also have pretty standard layouts.

I remapped my capslock about a year ago - it's a fantastic little mod.
It's worth talking to your IT department.  If you explain what you are trying to achieve whilst offering a tray of cakes at the same time, you might find they can be really quite helpful.

[edit: just ask them if it's possible, IT people like a challenge, and don't like being given solutions to implement.  Do remember the cakes, though]

The ahk (autohotkey) script you'll need is this -

#SingleInstance force
#MaxHotkeysPerInterval 100
#UseHook
Process, Priority,, Realtime
SetKeyDelay -1

Capslock::Backspace
^Capslock::Capslock

If they don't trust you with ahk, they can download it on their PCs and compile it for you.

Also, take a look a texter - it can help reduce the amount of keying you need to do to transcribe a recording - and it's free.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 June 2011, 11:19:00 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 June 2011, 12:31:52 »
What was the model number of the "Space Invader"-equipped NMBs with the split spacebar again? While not exactly growing on trees, they do pop up once in a while and would seem to be a good option.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D