Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 223021 times)

Offline YummyTreeSap

Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:04:31 »
I am new here—nice to see some coffee geeks too!  I have a Chemex and Aeropress, which are my main methods of preparing coffee, though I do rather fancy a good cup of French Press’d coffee as well.  I would, one of these days, love to acquire some sort of actual espresso-making device, but alas, that is far into the future given the amount of money I have.

As far as the sourcing of my coffee goes, my area (Buffalo, NY) is pretty dire.  Luckily, the best coffee shop I have ever set foot in is only forty-five minutes away (and do Internet orders).  I had liked coffee before then, but it wasn’t until then that I knew just how much variety in flavor you can get from coffees.  Don’t mean to sound like an advertiser or anything, but it’s [this place].

Always up to hearing of more places to get great coffees.  I’ve previously come close to ordering from Blue Bottle and Intelligentsia, but the shipping fees get pretty outrageous so I held myself back.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:07:53 »
As far as the sourcing of my coffee goes, my area (Buffalo, NY) is pretty dire.

Rochester isn't too far away and I really enjoyed the coffee from Java's. IIRC, they sell whole beans. But it's been a while since I've been there.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:42:58 »
I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying the aeropress CPT.  One of the best parts about using it is finding a brew method that produces the best sort of cup for you.  There are actually a few coffee enthusiast forums where Alan Adler, the inventor of the aeropress, posts frequently, so if you're ever looking for additional info I'd check out CoffeeGeek or HomeBarista.  When I first got mine, I was using a method similar to Beast's, but recently started changing my preparation up a bit, but I would recommend that you always go inverted too.  Also, if you're interested there are a few companies that make reusable filter discs that can actually allow more oils from the coffee to penetrate into your cup better than the paper filter can.  I've read some people say the difference between it and paper is negligible, and others who say it's night and day, so YYMV.  You should experiment with different grind sizes, water temps, steep times, etc..I like browsing YouTube for various methods too..this is the method I've been using lately, i really like the cup it produces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhmk4z-7qU
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:45:51 »
I really need to get a kettle that can measure water temp or a thermometer to measure water temp. I've just boiling water and timing that boil. I think Stumptown has directions like "30 seconds off the boil"?

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I plan on playing with the Aeropress for a while :).

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #304 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:50:32 »
I really need to get a kettle that can measure water temp or a thermometer to measure water temp. I've just boiling water and timing that boil. I think Stumptown has directions like "30 seconds off the boil"?

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I plan on playing with the Aeropress for a while :).
Those gooseneck kettles are pretty much mandatory if you ever decide to dabble in pourover, I like them for aeropress too just for making sure everything gets saturated nicely.  Plus, they make for a nice aesthetic addition to your counter.  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #305 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 13:53:14 »
I tried a pourover previously but I wasn't a huge fan. It took too long and it didn't taste that great imo. But those gooseneck kettles at the coffee shop I was at looked really cool.

...I'll probably have to try more pourover coffees too haha.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #306 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 17:03:39 »
Hey guys -- Wanted to let you all know that my old local roasters just made a bunch of new batches.

http://www.mosaiccoffeecompany.com/ out of Shippensburg Pennslvania makes a superb roast the same daythey process the order and ships quickly :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #307 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 18:08:15 »
Hey guys -- Wanted to let you all know that my old local roasters just made a bunch of new batches.

http://www.mosaiccoffeecompany.com/ out of Shippensburg Pennslvania makes a superb roast the same daythey process the order and ships quickly :)
I'll be trying them next Binge--Thanks for the heads up!

Offline YummyTreeSap

« Reply #308 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 21:11:37 »

Rochester isn't too far away and I really enjoyed the coffee from Java's. IIRC, they sell whole beans. But it's been a while since I've been there.
I’ve been to Java’s once, but it was rendered obsolete by Joe Bean, the place I linked.  Fairly newish place I think, best place I’ve ever been to.  Definitely recommend their stuff—it’s delicious.

That Mosaic place looks promising, might give it a shot next time I want to buy some beans.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #309 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 10:46:18 »

I’ve been to Java’s once, but it was rendered obsolete by Joe Bean, the place I linked.  Fairly newish place I think, best place I’ve ever been to.  Definitely recommend their stuff—it’s delicious.

That Mosaic place looks promising, might give it a shot next time I want to buy some beans.

The setup at mosaic is really awesome.

The owner went to school at the town's state college Shippensburg U for something entirely different than roasting coffee.  His roasting machine is probably as big as a van and every part of it is software controlled.  There's even a neat IR camera where you can see the distribution of heat in the roasting chamber.  I was completely blown away xD

Anyway it's not old'timey but it certainly is good.  Part of why it is good is because he buys from farms who send him sampler packs.  When he gets a roast he can use he'll buy quantity from that coffee farm.  Since he isn't tied into any contracts as some roasters are he does have to deal with buying more at one time, but in this fashion he can make sure to get the crops which give him the best yields.

I've been told he would allow us to do a group buy through mosaic if we had enough buyers.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #310 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 10:58:23 »
I'm in for a coffee groupbuy always.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:56:59 »

The setup at mosaic is really awesome.

The owner went to school at the town's state college Shippensburg U for something entirely different than roasting coffee.  His roasting machine is probably as big as a van and every part of it is software controlled.  There's even a neat IR camera where you can see the distribution of heat in the roasting chamber.  I was completely blown away xD

Anyway it's not old'timey but it certainly is good.  Part of why it is good is because he buys from farms who send him sampler packs.  When he gets a roast he can use he'll buy quantity from that coffee farm.  Since he isn't tied into any contracts as some roasters are he does have to deal with buying more at one time, but in this fashion he can make sure to get the crops which give him the best yields.

I've been told he would allow us to do a group buy through mosaic if we had enough buyers.

that reminds me of this new sr700 that came out

i've been interested in home roasting, but never really wanted to try (the smoke always deterred me).

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:56:23 »
I would love for this thread to come back to life because coffee is also life. Currently, my favorite acidic brew is from Klatch Coffee. Although, I always have a bag or two of Stumptown around because it's a deliciously safe choice. I'm actively looking for a darker roast to enjoy, but I don't think any have caught my attention.

Panama Elida Honey
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 03:58:55 »

I would love for this thread to come back to life because coffee is also life. Currently, my favorite acidic brew is from Klatch Coffee. Although, I always have a bag or two of Stumptown around because it's a deliciously safe choice. I'm actively looking for a darker roast to enjoy, but I don't think any have caught my attention.

Panama Elida Honey
Show Image

Oh look, my grinder and aeropress!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:03:13 »
Glad to see people are still brewing :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:03:46 »

Panama Elida Honey
Show Image

How's that Hario treating you? I'm still thinking of getting one.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #316 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 14:49:46 »

It's great. It's amazing for my budget and personal use. I'm still experimenting with brew methods and grind size, and the grind size is consistent every time. It beats any automatic blade grinder I've tried. Plus, I don't think I'm ready to upgrade to an automatic burr grinder since the cheap ones are garbage and the nice ones are $$$.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #317 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 15:28:35 »
^^ The encore is a $120 (ish) and it's an amazing burr grinder*

*in that price range.

Panama Elida Honey
Show Image

porlex would be better, only $10 more, but you get a stainless steel body that won't electrostatically hold your coffee.

I just got a V60 #2 size. I haven't brewed on it yet tho.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Lanx

« Reply #318 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 15:37:22 »
bigger hario is glass and that doesn't hold my coffee, i actually rather like it, it's also the same thread size as the mason jars for canning so theres that as an easy replacement.

i use my hario with a drill attachment still, i've had to adjust it over the months, but now it's great, too bad i can't adjust it on the fly, it's basically a grind size locked in with my current coffee maker the BUNN HG (one of only three approved coffee makers to hit 205degrees, other 2 being the technivorm and bonavita by the scaa) atm, it does pour over better than i can, without all the fuss.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 16:39:05 »

porlex would be better, only $10 more, but you get a stainless steel body that won't electrostatically hold your coffee.

Huh, I never thought of that before but that makes a lot of sense.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 17:17:33 »

It's great. It's amazing for my budget and personal use. I'm still experimenting with brew methods and grind size, and the grind size is consistent every time. It beats any automatic blade grinder I've tried. Plus, I don't think I'm ready to upgrade to an automatic burr grinder since the cheap ones are garbage and the nice ones are $$$.
When you do eventually decide to upgrade, I would highly recommend going straight for Baratza. They make some of the best performing, and most reliable grinders available today.  Like Beast mentioned, the encore is probably the best choice in the price range of around ~$100. If you can manage to set aside a little more, I would go for a refurbished virtuosos, you can buy them directly through barazta's website(refurb list gets updated every thursday)  I've had mine for close to a year now and it was one of the best coffee purchases I have ever made.  If you go for a virtuoso refurb, you actually get the burr's from the upgraded model, the precisio, only without the macro grind adjustments for people brewing espresso, so it's really a great value.

I too had one of those hand grinders before I eventually upgraded to an electric model.  While I loved the quality of the grinder for the money it cost, I found it a little too difficult to set aside the time  needed to grind enough coffee for an aeropress cup on mornings before school, and wanted to move to something electric that could grind the beans almost instantaneously. Let me know if you have any questions about grinders, or just coffee stuff in general, I'm a real geek for this stuff!  :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #321 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 17:20:40 »
The thing is I don't drink coffee regularly so I don't mind hand grinding from time to time. But thanks for your input, perhaps one day this will change and I'll be itching for some electric burr goodness :D

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #322 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 17:36:44 »
I feel so underclassed busting up my beans in a magic bullet.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:38:45 »
Do any of you guys use special containers for coffee storage?

It seems the two most widely used containers are the Friis Coffee Vault and the Airscape SS Container by Planetary design...

I've been using the Airscape for about 5 months now and have been pretty happy with it overall.

The airscape uses an intuitive 2 layer system with an airtight seal on the top of the canister, along with a sort of "plunger" that pushes out any excess oxygen and co2 and and latches down against the beans protecting it from coming into contact with any outside oxygen.  The only unfortunate part is that the coffee can't always outgas too well with this system, and the carbon dioxide that fresh coffee naturally emits is sometimes trapped if the valve is closed.  If I get freshly roasted beans, I often time leave the inner valve open for a day or two, I haven't done any extensive testing to see if it's making a discernible difference or not.

While I have never used a friis container, it works similarly to the airscape in that is has a special valve on the top of the container that allows co2 to naturally escape from the container, but doesn't allow oxygen in.  What I don't like about this container is that if you open it frequently, oxygen will naturally enter, but eventually get pushed out naturally with the co2, how long this takes and how effective this works is sort of an ongoing debate.

Unfortunately, no matter what storage system you use beans will start to go south and loose a lot of their essential oils and flavor in about two weeks, this is all about just making sure I can get the most out of them until then.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:51:27 »

Huh, I never thought of that before but that makes a lot of sense.

Yup, I've heard quite a few plastic grinders/bin hold the ground beans. It's only a bit annoying, just hit it a bit to shake them loose. Also, you'd have to wash it more often due to the ultra fine particles.

When you do eventually decide to upgrade, I would highly recommend going straight for Baratza. They make some of the best performing, and most reliable grinders available today.  Like Beast mentioned, the encore is probably the best choice in the price range of around ~$100. If you can manage to set aside a little more, I would go for a refurbished virtuosos, you can buy them directly through barazta's website(refurb list gets updated every thursday)  I've had mine for close to a year now and it was one of the best coffee purchases I have ever made.  If you go for a virtuoso refurb, you actually get the burr's from the upgraded model, the precisio, only without the macro grind adjustments for people brewing espresso, so it's really a great value.

I too had one of those hand grinders before I eventually upgraded to an electric model.  While I loved the quality of the grinder for the money it cost, I found it a little too difficult to set aside the time  needed to grind enough coffee for an aeropress cup on mornings before school, and wanted to move to something electric that could grind the beans almost instantaneously. Let me know if you have any questions about grinders, or just coffee stuff in general, I'm a real geek for this stuff!  :cool:

I love my encore, my coffee intake has maybe doubled since it's so easy to get grinds. Hand grinders aren't bad, but they do take a bit of time. About 3-5 minutes to grind 20 grams needed for an Aeropress (or the dosage/grind size I use for AP). When I think "Oh, a cup of coffee would be nice right now" it's super easy to measure up some beans and brew a cup in 5 minutes including cleanup time. Hand grinding is "Oh, a cup of coffee would be nice right now but I'm 10 minutes away from it (without cleanup), forget it" Or when using a siphon/vacuum brewer, it would easily be 2+ hand grinding sessions. I think I've brewed twice with a siphon hand grinding. Now, most weekends, that's how I'll brew coffee.

In terms of coffee storage, the place I go has some really nice plastic bags with the CO2 vent. Plus, I tend to buy 2 half pound bags and drink it before they would go stale. I'd say about a pound every 2-3 weeks. It's SUPER nice to have a local coffee roaster!

I feel so underclassed busting up my beans in a magic bullet.

UPGRADE. Any burr grinder is better than blade. Even a super low end, $40 electric burr is better than a blade grinder (and fresh beans, but that's a given). If you have the money, I'd go right for an encore. It's pretty much perfect for everything except espresso. You can do espressos with an encore, but if you have a decent espresso machine, you should for SURE have a decent grinder. I've heard so often that a grinder is more important for espresso than the espresso machine itself, unless you have a really low end espresso machine.

So far, my favorite bean ever has been a light roasted Ethiopian harar. Also, always try to get lighter roasts, dark ones tend to have a burn taste IMO. Plus, I've heard light roast have more caffeine
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 19:56:49 by The_Beast »

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:13:08 »

So far, my favorite bean ever has been a light roasted Ethiopian harar. Also, always try to get lighter roasts, dark ones tend to have a burn taste IMO. Plus, I've heard light roast have more caffeine

My preferences also lean towards lighter roasts. Do you have a brand that you could recommend?

Unrelated, I've just started looking for a dark roast that'll blow my mind with its amazing body. I've pretty much given up on amazing taste. Maybe I need to find a shop that'll brew with french press or do it myself. All the nice places I've been to use V60s to brew, and sometimes chemex.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:18:39 »
Do any of you guys use special containers for coffee storage?.

I've got a container like that where it keeps air out with a seal. It works pretty great. One of my better impulse buys :D.

So far, my favorite bean ever has been a light roasted Ethiopian harar.

My preferences also lean towards lighter roasts. Do you have a brand that you could recommend?

I'm also a huge fan of Ethiopian coffees. Clacktalk, you live near the Bay Area don't you? A bunch of GHers who are way into coffee are from there and can point you to local roasters. I find that my local roaster in Cincinnati has the freshest beans so I like that the most.

Yup, I've heard quite a few plastic grinders/bin hold the ground beans. It's only a bit annoying, just hit it a bit to shake them loose. Also, you'd have to wash it more often due to the ultra fine particles.

That totally happens to my cheapo blade grinder and I never realized it until you suggested that Perlex. Damn...guess I know how I'm using my Amazon GiftCard :D

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:21:48 »

Unrelated, I've just started looking for a dark roast that'll blow my mind with its amazing body. I've pretty much given up on amazing taste. Maybe I need to find a shop that'll brew with french press or do it myself. All the nice places I've been to use V60s to brew, and sometimes chemex.
If you don't have any local roasters near you, I'm a big fan of a lot of the single origin/blends from Stumptown coffee, some of their stuff is a bit on the expensive side--but even their affordable coffees are great, and they of course roast any kind you select to order!

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:50:57 »

So far, my favorite bean ever has been a light roasted Ethiopian harar.

I'm also a huge fan of Ethiopian coffees. Clacktalk, you live near the Bay Area don't you? A bunch of GHers who are way into coffee are from there and can point you to local roasters. I find that my local roaster in Cincinnati has the freshest beans so I like that the most.

Oooh I did PM nuclearsandwich about that and I do have a list of roasters I need to explore. I've been meaning to save that expedition for late August when my boo comes to visit, so I've just been stocking up on whatever Whole Foods has to offer. I'm just nosy and like knowing the companies that other people like frequenting haha. Gives me more stuff to put on my list and try : ] I like Panamanian beans the most!

If you don't have any local roasters near you, I'm a big fan of a lot of the single origin/blends from Stumptown coffee, some of their stuff is a bit on the expensive side--but even their affordable coffees are great, and they of course roast any kind you select to order!

I'm blessed to live so close to San Francisco, so finding local roasters isn't a problem. I do enjoy Stumptown, but I want to branch out from what they have to offer. I always keep a bag or two around for when I don't want to drink anything too fancy. But after I read your comment, I'm starting to wonder if I can find cheaper beans around where I live. All my favorite beans have cost me $18+ per 12 oz. when purchased locally, but I've moved since then. My fingers are crossed.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 20:57:33 »
I've been meaning to save that expedition for late August when my boo comes to visit, so I've just been stocking up on whatever Whole Foods has to offer.

I'm coming to visit you in August clacktalk?
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:00:01 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #331 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:02:49 »
I'm taken to some Peruvian coffee I've found at a local shop, light roast always;) thanks for the tips!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #332 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:06:54 »

Find a local roaster. Here in Madison Wi, there are TONS of roasters. I heard of EVP because my workplace buys about 20+ pounds a month from them. They get a discount and don't mind if employees throw in their orders ($15 a lbs to $10).

When I'm in my college town, there is only one roaster, I wouldn't say they're as good as EVP, but I haven't tried all their coffees yet. They're about $12 or $13 a lbs.

If it's an option, I'd ALWAYS buy fresh roasted local coffee over some of the better known online roasters. Shipping can be fast, but drinking coffee that was roasted the same day is kinda cool.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:08:27 by The_Beast »

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #333 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 21:18:14 »
I've been meaning to save that expedition for late August when my boo comes to visit, so I've just been stocking up on whatever Whole Foods has to offer.

I'm coming to visit you in August clacktalk?

LOL

WE'RE SORRY BUT THE POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR HAS ALREADY BEEN FILLED that's what she said
diary of a clacktalk

Offline Lanx

« Reply #334 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:36:36 »
anyone actually change their method of coffee? like i said b4, i went from aeropress to espresso to now the bunn drip coffee.

my wife is fine with it as well.

recently i went to a friends how and i was intent on showing them just how aweful their keurig is, i mean i stay over 3x a year? so i have to drink this stuff.

to them it's about convenience, and i get that, i mean nothing is simpler than throwing in a cup, slapping it down and just making sure the damn thing is plugged in and theres water.

first i made cold press with my hario, since that would take like overnight to seep anyway.

then the moka pot

then french pressing

then aeropress

then espresso (with crema)

ending with drip

in the end they went for cold press, since it was the easiest ha!

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #335 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:44:04 »
Let's me share favourites :D
Brewing method: Dripping (V60)
Beans: Ethiopian Yirgacheffe
Temperature would be 88 degree celcius.. it brings my favourite acidity at that temperature :)

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #336 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:49:26 »
What kind of kettle do you use when you prepare coffee using a V60? Do you think it would be difficult without a gooseneck? I want to get a V60, but I'm wondering if I need the gooseneck kettle first.

I started off with a french press, but found the aeropress to make clearer tasting coffees, if that makes sense. I haven't switched my brew method, but I am considering cold brew.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #337 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:58:45 »
What kind of kettle do you use when you prepare coffee using a V60? Do you think it would be difficult without a gooseneck? I want to get a V60, but I'm wondering if I need the gooseneck kettle first.

I started off with a french press, but found the aeropress to make clearer tasting coffees, if that makes sense. I haven't switched my brew method, but I am considering cold brew.
It is quite important for a gooseneck as you can control the water flow more freely :) I bought a tiamo gooseneck which cost me around 15usd and it is good enough for dripping.
Imbalanced water flow may cause the dripping process goes wrong and coffee may taste less content.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 00:32:29 »
gooseneck really assists in the pouring, what the gooseneck is, is a controllable nozzle, water goes where you point it, without it you'll be splashing water trying to make spirals heh.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:29:06 »
anyone actually change their method of coffee? like i said b4, i went from aeropress to espresso to now the bunn drip coffee.

French to Aeropress. I still do both but I prefer Aeropress now.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #340 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 14:36:49 »
could i possibly get a recommendation for a brand that doesn't have that sour aftertaste + no /minimal coffee breath..

something in a big can.. so i don't have to open little paper bags.. and then fold it and clip it and all that nonsense..

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #341 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:48:42 »
anyone got any recommendations for a nice blend to go with my bulletproof cofffes? using an aeropress and after something a bit different then my local roast that will go well with some nice grass fed butter

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #342 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:53:30 »
I think I'm finally getting a Rancilio Silvia!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #344 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 18:26:35 »
I found this one on Craigslist for $150. He raised it to $200, but that's still a steal for a V2 in great condition.

Not sure which PID I will go with. I'm thinking about hacking my Aquacomputer Aquaero 4 to run the boiler, a portafilter heater, and a milk frothing thermometer with a couple of SSR's. I might even make a combination preheater/sous vide bath!  I'm just so pumped to be getting what I consider to be the most hackable prosumer machine ever made.
I'm back.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #345 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 18:43:55 »
WOW! That's still an absolute steal for a machine that retails for well over $400...is the unit still in pretty good condition?

Offline lotus1109

« Reply #346 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 08:34:55 »
Unfortunately in my country, retail price of a coffee machine is way too pricey, hence I end up using v60 :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #347 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 13:49:32 »
what country is that? don't get soo worked up over it, imo, the taste is the same if you compare a good espresso machine and a v60 with good technique, however you do miss out on the creme.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #348 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 14:25:41 »
I have used an aero press for years when I'm traveling. It's not espresso, but it's darn good coffee. There are tons of aero press technique articles on YouTube too.
I'm back.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #349 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 14:26:55 »
I have used an aero press for years when I'm traveling. It's not espresso, but it's darn good coffee. There are tons of aero press technique articles on YouTube too.

I love my AP. It's pretty cheap and SOOOOOOOO flexible with grind size, water temp, brew time.... I've never had a bad cup out of it, even with sub-par beans.