Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 222766 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #550 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 19:14:50 »
Recently did some V60 pour overs directly onto ice to make iced coffee. Really good. Just make sure you half the water you pour over and substitute that with ice. Example, 8oz of hot water and 8oz of ice (btw, an average ice cube is about an oz). It's good black, but with milk and sugar if you're treating yourself. Really great for a hot day.

Also stopped putting milk and sugar into my coffee, it was hard to switch at first, but I vastly prefer it now. Adding that stuff is good once and a while, but for the most part, it's 2 brews of an aeropress in a 16oz mug for the day.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #551 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 20:55:17 »
OH SH!T GUYS I DID A THING

So you 6 that I promised coffee, it has been roasted!

I chose 2 coffees to roast, a Brazilian and a Java. The Brazil ended up being a bit darker than I wanted, ending up with a full city + roast. The Java is between a city+ and a full city.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/5aBbn http://imgur.com/Vui81TD

Each of you will receive 75g of either the Brazil or the Java (about 4 cups in an aeropress) and a hand drawn Jackalope. So inbox me a) Which coffee you want b) if you want to pay shipping, or if you want to send 75g of whatever coffee you have now as trade c) shipping address

The coffee choices are first come first serve

-Antlers
Ayy Lmao

WTB/T: Dollys, Conspires, Ribbits, anything purple, coffee gear

WTS/T: Longboarding gear

Offline R1N3

« Reply #552 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 20:59:21 »
You dudes go ahead and pick what you want and I'll take what's left since I was last to begin with. I'm in south Georgia right now for a bb shower but I'll hit you up and PayPal you when I get home tomorrow.

So exciting!

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #553 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 21:05:41 »
I'm definitely investing in an arrow press and ceramic burr grinder soon (anyone have any experience with Hario?).

As for trading I have access to a myriad of local stuff, Blue Bottle, Ritual, Four Barrel and Sight Glass as well as Sweet Maria's for unroasted beans. I'm will to trade with anyone interested in trying any of these companies coffees.

ISO Stumptown FT various Bay Area coffees

Man I miss Stumptown so much...  :(

We have rosepark roasters here in Long Beach and Stumptown on tap. I would be lost with out my tasty niche coffees. It is the only thing on par with my list for keyboards.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #554 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 15:50:45 »

I chose 2 coffees to roast, a Brazilian and a Java. The Brazil ended up being a bit darker than I wanted, ending up with a full city + roast. The Java is between a city+ and a full city.

Each of you will receive 75g of either the Brazil or the Java (about 4 cups in an aeropress) and a hand drawn Jackalope. So inbox me a) Which coffee you want b) if you want to pay shipping, or if you want to send 75g of whatever coffee you have now as trade c) shipping address

-Antlers

This looks amazing A.  I'd be honored to try the Brazilian :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #555 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 22:02:43 »
Can do! Pm me!
Ayy Lmao

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #556 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 06:02:53 »
How have i missed this thread for so long. 

So i just wanted to ask you guys, does grinding your coffee right before pouring it really make that big of a difference?
Also is this video an okay way of pouring coffee?
My grounds don't bubble up nearly as much as this guys does and i usually slow pour the water slowly and let the level rise slowly to a point where i don't have to stop pouring and can just continue till i have the amount of coffee that i wanted, is this a bad idea? should be pouring only as high as the grounds originally are?

My current stuff is just pre-ground coffee from a local shop but i'm not sure if they're roasted at the shop or what but she seems to get new stock quite frequently.
I have a Kalita 500 and a Hario V60 dripper but i also have a Kalita 102-DL that i don't use simply because i like how the V60 looks lol
For a pot i have this guy that i bought solely because it was cheap and made in Japan. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B001L4N5AG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01
For my water i have a Zojirushi CV-DM30 that i keep at 90C and preheat everything before hand by rinsing with the hot water.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 06:23:48 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #557 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 07:53:10 »
How have i missed this thread for so long. 

So i just wanted to ask you guys, does grinding your coffee right before pouring it really make that big of a difference?

Bigger.

Not my style but looks about right for pourover. I prefer espresso, plus pourover is kinda slow, messy and labour intensive. I guess you could get a similar tasting cup slightly easier from an aeropress.

My grounds don't bubble up nearly as much as this guys does and i usually slow pour the water slowly and let the level rise slowly to a point where i don't have to stop pouring and can just continue till i have the amount of coffee that i wanted, is this a bad idea? should be pouring only as high as the grounds originally are?

The amount of bubbles released by the coffee is directly related to the amount of gas trapped in the beans. After roasting, they immediately start outgassing slowly. As the gas escapes, it takes some of the flavour with it. This process is accelerated dramatically by grinding the beans due to the increased surface area. This is why, to get the best from your coffee beans, you need to use them between 1 and 3 weeks after roasting, and grind them within about 1 minute of brewing.

My current stuff is just pre-ground coffee from a local shop but i'm not sure if they're roasted at the shop or what but she seems to get new stock quite frequently.
I have a Kalita 500 and a Hario V60 dripper but i also have a Kalita 102-DL that i don't use simply because i like how the V60 looks lol
For a pot i have this guy that i bought solely because it was cheap and made in Japan. http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B001L4N5AG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01
For my water i have a Zojirushi CV-DM30 that i keep at 90C and preheat everything before hand by rinsing with the hot water.

Hario also do some nice and reasonably inexpensive hand grinders, if you can be bothered doing it by hand. If you want to get an electric grinder I'll let others advise because I'm more familiar with espresso grinders, which is almost an entirely different class of gadget than a grinder for pourover. But whatever you do, DON'T get a blade grinder. They give inconsistent particle size which gives unpredictable results in the cup, and they create a lot of friction which can scorch the beans before you even start brewing.

Offline PicklesKill

« Reply #558 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 10:10:23 »
And just learned something new this morning . :thumb:

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #559 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 12:17:57 »

-Antlers

Ok, so apparently I cant read, wherever I say "Brazil" I really mean Burundi :P Probably not a huge deal to anyone, but just in case
Ayy Lmao

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #560 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 12:25:31 »

-Antlers

Oooo. I'm going to assume it won't stay fresh until the 15th? I was going to see if I could do local pickup.

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #561 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 12:36:03 »

-Antlers

Oooo. I'm going to assume it won't stay fresh until the 15th? I was going to see if I could do local pickup.

It probably would probably only have a couple days left of its optimal brew time, but I cant imagine it would be bad. I have the beans stored in 75g bags individually.

Or if you want to do a local pickup, I have some more green coffee left if you want it fresh out of the roaster :D
Ayy Lmao

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #562 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 12:37:31 »
oh, also, just made a cup of the Burundi, and its really really good. Mildly sweet, fruity and just a bit of acidity. I will try the Java in like 30 minutes
Ayy Lmao

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 11:57:42 »
Just made the java, very dark but not muddled, chocolatey sweetness earthy finish, good body
Ayy Lmao

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #564 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 12:41:37 »
Just made the java, very dark but not muddled, chocolatey sweetness earthy finish, good body

Oh man! You have me jonezin' for some good, hardy brew! All I have right now is this 3 hour-old flat white from Starbucks. :(
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #565 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 14:30:57 »

Oh man! You have me jonezin' for some good, hardy brew! All I have right now is this 3 hour-old flat white from Starbucks. :(

I have yet to try their flat white! And I'm pretty sure you got the Burundi
Ayy Lmao

Offline Larken

« Reply #566 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 00:00:13 »

very good advice from zombimuncha. Fresh beans ground just before drinking does make a huge difference, and whole beans tend to keep longer than preground(I usually buy in batches of 600g whole beans, double-bag half of it and put it in the freezer until I finish the first half).

You already have great gear for doing pourover from what you linked. Fresh beans and a decent grinder would be a good way to go.

like zombimuncha said, the amount of bubbles is usually relative to the freshness of the beans' outgassing process. fresh beans tend to bubble alot.

for the pouring, it is better to judge based on the target final volume in the cup rather than how high the water is relative to the grounds' height (which is highly dependent on how fine your grounds are; which is one additional variable you can adjust when grinding your own), so what you're doing is right. One way I've seen people do pourover is going by output weight, measured by pouring with the cup placed on a scale.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #567 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 02:07:51 »
Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be picking up a ceramic grinder or something soon.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #568 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 02:48:53 »
Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'll be picking up a ceramic grinder or something soon.

I know I said I wouldn't advise about grinders, but buying a coffee grinder is a bit like buying a keyboard - a bottomless pit of choices, potential endgame options,  and disappointments. So I'll suggest that the Baratza range is a good place to start looking. If you know you're not ever getting an espresso machine then you dont need the vario, or even the next one down, I forget the model name. The one up from their bottom of range is probably all you'll ever need for pourover / aeropress / press pot.

Offline Larken

« Reply #569 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 05:11:48 »
you can consider handmills as well, given that pourovers use a relatively coarse grind (so it wouldn't take too long; grinding for espresso is very annoying however).

Given you're in Japan, a budget choice would be the Porlex Jp-30. I'd avoid the Hario Skerton/Kyocera Ceramic (unless you plan to get a mod-kit from Orphan espresso).

I believe all three of them uses the same burrs, but the Porlex has better stabilization on the lower burrs from the factory; which translates into a slightly more even grind (though, on a longevity aspect, I don't expect either of these three grinders to last more than a year or two if you're a heavy user).

I know I said I wouldn't advise about grinders, but buying a coffee grinder is a bit like buying a keyboard - a bottomless pit of choices, potential endgame options,  and disappointments.

Very well said. There are higher end handmills available (some are ostensibly built to last a lifetime or longer), but at that point, they'd probably be costlier than the lower end Baratzas electric grinders that zombimuncha recommended, which would do a great job for pourovers. However, I'd be happy to provide more information if you're so inclined.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #570 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:58:02 »

Given you're in Japan, a budget choice would be the Porlex Jp-30. I'd avoid the Hario Skerton/Kyocera Ceramic (unless you plan to get a mod-kit from Orphan espresso).

Is the porlex really worth almost double the price of the hario?
I'm not currently looking to get an electric grinder so I won't need any information but thanks for the offer.

Thanks everyone for all the information so far.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #571 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:00:43 »
I thought The_Beast said he had a Hario for a while and was happy with it.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #572 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:02:29 »
I have heard Hario Skertons recommended very frequently for their cost and quality.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #573 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:27:54 »

I'm not currently looking to get an electric grinder so I won't need any information but thanks for the offer.

Orphan Espresso are very smart people -> do what they say -> profit!

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #574 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:42:55 »
We have Folgers at work.  It's free, so I drink it.  Anytime I drink nearly any other sort of coffee, I realize how terrible Folgers is.  But it's free, so I keep drinking it.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Larken

« Reply #575 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 10:33:21 »

I used the Skerton for months before retiring it to spice duty. To be fair it makes good coffee, but I found it wanting after a while and wished I went for the porlex instead.

The porlex is an outright better grinder than the Hario Skerton, but I wouldn't say its 2 times better.

The difference between the two is how the lower burrs are stabilised in each grinder; the Hario has a wobbly, floating burr that is centered during grinding by burrs pressing against the beans on all sides, which is okay when grinding on a finer setting, but starts to get fairly inconsistent once you get towards the coarser settings (which incidentally is what the mod kit from orphan addresses by adding a stabilizing ring at the bottom, but this is done at the expense of fine grinding, and costs about 15 bucks shipping excluded).

The porlex has a stabilized burr out of the factory, and will provide more consistency in the grind quality. Unless you luck out on a nice vintage coffee mill (that still works), the porlex is likely the last step up before the mid-range handgrinders like a Zassenhaus (over 100 usd), a Hausgrind (over 100 british pounds), or a Lido 2/3 (175/195 usd).

However, keep in mind that the Porlex is not built to last either. You'd like need to replace it after a few years of heavy use.

If you have to go for a Hario, go for a Hario Slim Mini Mill. Cons: Very small capacity. If you grind for more than one person, it can get annoying. Pros: Stabilized burrs.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2015, 10:36:43 by Larken »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #576 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 12:37:00 »
oh, also, just made a cup of the Burundi, and its really really good. Mildly sweet, fruity and just a bit of acidity. I will try the Java in like 30 minutes

Made a drip brew of this bean (Thank you in advance TGA).  This is a good roast.  Very pleasant to taste.  I can confirm it tastes as described above.  The sweet/fruity finishes with a toasted caramel flavor.  Masks any acidity of the brew.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #577 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 10:54:50 »
Sorry I'm just now posting this, but I thoroughly enjoyed a few cups from TheGreatAntlers last week.  Seemed to be a good quality bean and a balanced roast. Thanks bro!

I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #578 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 10:57:13 »
Yup I'm late to posting too but I really enjoyed how balanced the roast was from TheGreatAntlers. I got the Burundi beans :).

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #579 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 18:02:44 »
Yup I'm late to posting too but I really enjoyed how balanced the roast was from TheGreatAntlers. I got the Burundi beans :).

Yay! Glad you liked it! I have like 10lbs of a different Burundi in the mail
Ayy Lmao

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #580 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 18:03:51 »
Sorry I'm just now posting this, but I thoroughly enjoyed a few cups from TheGreatAntlers last week.  Seemed to be a good quality bean and a balanced roast. Thanks bro!

Show Image

Thanks! I'm glad everyone enjoyed their coffee!
Ayy Lmao

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #581 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 18:09:22 »
Also, my latest experiment, cold brew yirgacheffe

http://imgur.com/XGLnr0z
Ayy Lmao

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #582 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 22:06:51 »
Also, my latest experiment, cold brew yirgacheffe

http://imgur.com/XGLnr0z

I need to make myself some cold brew.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #583 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 14:50:41 »

Show Image

Much to the heartbreak of my wife we ran out quickly T-T

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #584 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 19:26:53 »

Show Image

Much to the heartbreak of my wife we ran out quickly T-T

Have no fear! A sale draws near!

Pretty much as my next Burundi gets here
Ayy Lmao

Offline moemoe666

• Silence Unicorn <3
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 00:41:18 »
Hi :D

i've back from a trip with some coffee from Vietnam, anyone want to exchange some special kind of coffee ? :D

Stuff:
Black Bird V1: Clear 72g - Light Saver V2 : Black 62g  - Rosewill : Vintage Black - 38gt Acrylic case : Brown 55g - Ducky Z One : Brown - Keycool Brown: R.I.P

Zowie EC2 Evo Black & White - SS Sensei MLG - SS Frost blue - Kana V1 - Kinzu V1

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #586 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 03:59:44 »

i've back from a trip with some coffee from Vietnam, anyone want to exchange some special kind of coffee ? :D

I would!
Ayy Lmao

Offline moemoe666

• Silence Unicorn <3
« Reply #587 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 12:07:59 »

I would!

Please sent me a PM with your address sir,
I have about 2-4 kg  so anyone ( CONUS ) want to try, sent me a PM, we can share :D
Stuff:
Black Bird V1: Clear 72g - Light Saver V2 : Black 62g  - Rosewill : Vintage Black - 38gt Acrylic case : Brown 55g - Ducky Z One : Brown - Keycool Brown: R.I.P

Zowie EC2 Evo Black & White - SS Sensei MLG - SS Frost blue - Kana V1 - Kinzu V1

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #588 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 18:36:06 »

I would!

Please sent me a PM with your address sir,
I have about 2-4 kg  so anyone ( CONUS ) want to try, sent me a PM, we can share :D

BUMP this, vietnamese coffee is baaaalller

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #589 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 18:52:26 »
No rat poop for me
I'm back.

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #590 on: Mon, 15 June 2015, 19:30:36 »
Can't wait to get mine!!

Also, shipping mybend of the deal tomorrow, it was a busy weekend
Ayy Lmao

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #592 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 16:21:59 »
Can proxy some Swedish coffee if anyone want to taste! Drinking this atm: http://johanochnystrom.se/en/products/brazil-fortaleza-en/

Ofc it's "Signature origin"  ;)
Very busy with studies atm.

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #593 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 16:36:44 »
Can proxy some Swedish coffee if anyone want to taste! Drinking this atm: http://johanochnystrom.se/en/products/brazil-fortaleza-en/

Ofc it's "Signature origin"  ;)

I'd like to try!

Offline smarmar

« Reply #594 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 10:46:28 »
No rat poop for me

Dude, kopi luwak is a delicacy. I'd try that in a heartbeat!...a tiny coffee-munching weasel's heartbeat.  :p
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #595 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 10:49:20 »
I have no coffee to trade but I'd be happy to pay shipping on any exotic (non-grocery store, not normally accessible in the US) brew that anyone has to offer.  :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #596 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 11:41:24 »
I have no coffee to trade but I'd be happy to pay shipping on any exotic (non-grocery store, not normally accessible in the US) brew that anyone has to offer.  :)

OMG you're in Winter Park?  Didn't know there were any other active GH'ers so close.

Come down to E. Orlando and I'll buy you a cup of the most amazing espresso around at Vespr.
I'm back.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #597 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 11:59:44 »

OMG you're in Winter Park?  Didn't know there were any other active GH'ers so close.

Come down to E. Orlando and I'll buy you a cup of the most amazing espresso around at Vespr.

Hey, we were supposed to hook up at Vespr's in Jan but you didn't PM me and then I kinda forgot about it. No worries.  ^-^  Let's do it soon. Maybe we can find other GH-ers in the area to form a java gang!

Offline TheGreatAntlers

« Reply #598 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 17:56:04 »

Hey, we were supposed to hook up at Vespr's in Jan but you didn't PM me and then I kinda forgot about it. No worries.  ^-^  Let's do it soon. Maybe we can find other GH-ers in the area to form a java gang!

Same thing, except in Michigan! That would be neat.
Ayy Lmao

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #599 on: Thu, 18 June 2015, 06:40:08 »

Dang. Deja vu. Okay. You got any time next week?  Drop me a PM.
I'm back.