Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 221860 times)

Offline zombimuncha

Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #650 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 02:25:35 »
You've got about a week left before that alpress starts to get ... boring. Whatever amount you're not going to use in that time, throw it in the freezer. Just make sure it's sealed up properly airtight .Tape over the valve in the bag to avoid the chance of an ice crystal forming in there and wedging it open.
When you remove it from the freezer, give it a couple hours to return to room temp before cracking the seal - condensation is your enemy.

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #651 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 06:16:43 »
Thanks for the info :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #652 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 10:35:39 »
Signed up! Do I just pm people on the list now?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #653 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:02:22 »
I'm shopping for a relatively inexpensive burr grinder, mainly for grinding espresso and I came upon this that seems to be on super-sale.
116765-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
Stainless steel, conical ceramic burr, adjustable grind settings.
Do any of you have experience with or know whether or not it's any good? Most of the Amazon reviews are good.

Other suggestions are welcome  ^-^
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #654 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:11:04 »
I'm shopping for a relatively inexpensive burr grinder, mainly for grinding espresso and I came upon this that seems to be on super-sale.
Show Image
(Attachment Link) " alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Do any of you have experience with or know whether or not it's any good? Most of the Amazon reviews are good.

Hey man!  Cool that you are into espresso.  As you probably know, the importance of your grind quality gets higher the finer you go.  So with espresso, people are obsessive and will often spend more on their grinder than their espresso machine.  OE Pharos is a $$$$ example: http://www.oehandgrinders.com/PHAROS_c_22.html Can you imagine spending that much on a hand grinder???

That said, I don't know anything about the Eco Grinder you speak of.  If it's cheap enough, maybe buy it and see if you like it?  After all, if you like it nothing else matters, including what other coffee snobs think :p
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #655 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:17:27 »
Show Image

That looks eerily similar to the Porlex hand grinder. My brother bought one and I have been able to use it a few times when I'm home. I'm thinking about replacing my Hario Skerton with one, perhaps the mini. Before someone says "just save your money in the long term and get a good electronic burr grinder", I'm looking for a more robust grinder than my Skerton, but something I can take camping/backpacking worry free. The Porlex feels incredibly sturdy from how much I've used it, and a quality grind. The mini fits into the Aeropress for storage (from what I've read), making it ideal for a fresh java setup in the woods. The downside is the Porlex JP-30 doesn't have much capacity, so if I'm fixing 4+ cups of coffee in my Chemex I have to grind it, empty it, and repeat again.

Porlex JP-30: http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #656 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 15:34:07 »
i have a porlex, ceramic burr grinder and it works great :)

Offline smarmar

« Reply #657 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:39:17 »
Show Image

Hey man!  Cool that you are into espresso.  As you probably know, the importance of your grind quality gets higher the finer you go.  So with espresso, people are obsessive and will often spend more on their grinder than their espresso machine.  OE Pharos is a $$$$ example: http://www.oehandgrinders.com/PHAROS_c_22.html Can you imagine spending that much on a hand grinder???

That said, I don't know anything about the Eco Grinder you speak of.  If it's cheap enough, maybe buy it and see if you like it?  After all, if you like it nothing else matters, including what other coffee snobs think :p

I went ahead and bought the Eco Grinder for 15 bucks. No big loss if it turns out to be sucky. I shall report my findings upon usage of said product.

$295 for a hand grinder, huh? There's a product for every customer. If you build it, they will come.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline smarmar

« Reply #658 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:49:01 »
Show Image

That looks eerily similar to the Porlex hand grinder. My brother bought one and I have been able to use it a few times when I'm home. I'm thinking about replacing my Hario Skerton with one, perhaps the mini. Before someone says "just save your money in the long term and get a good electronic burr grinder", I'm looking for a more robust grinder than my Skerton, but something I can take camping/backpacking worry free. The Porlex feels incredibly sturdy from how much I've used it, and a quality grind. The mini fits into the Aeropress for storage (from what I've read), making it ideal for a fresh java setup in the woods. The downside is the Porlex JP-30 doesn't have much capacity, so if I'm fixing 4+ cups of coffee in my Chemex I have to grind it, empty it, and repeat again.

Porlex JP-30: http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2

I was drawn to the diminutive size of the Eco Grinder since I have very limited storage and counter-top space. I usually brew espresso so the small reservoir shouldn't be a problem unless I have coffee guests.

I try to keep free of too many extraneous gadgetry and such that rely on electricity so I went with a manual grinder. Plus, I'm olde-school like that  :)

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #659 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 14:02:27 »
I'm looking to pick up a cheap (yet amazing) caffiene delivery system for at the office, since the office espresso is severely meh-inducing, (and I want to kick my 4 a day diet coke habit). I was thinking maybe a porlex or skerton + v60 or aero. So I'll be interested to hear back about your experience with the eco grinder.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #660 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 07:56:21 »
Show Image

I was drawn to the diminutive size of the Eco Grinder since I have very limited storage and counter-top space. I usually brew espresso so the small reservoir shouldn't be a problem unless I have coffee guests.

I try to keep free of too many extraneous gadgetry and such that rely on electricity so I went with a manual grinder. Plus, I'm olde-school like that  :)

That's a good way to go about life. I don't have any fancy kitchen gadgets like a mixer or anything. Once I move into my own place, I'd like to buy an electronic burr grinder, but until then I'm satisfied with manual. Out of two years with my Skerton, there have only been two days I regretted having the manual. Both of those days were Christmas when we had family over for brunch. I spent a lot of time whirling the grinder around, especially since that side of the family runs on coffee. I would've been doing twice as many grind sessions with the Porlex too. But I'll take that. Otherwise, manuals are solid!

P.S. A little something-something showed up in my mail today...

Thanks so much to Jema! The coffee is great!

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #661 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 09:52:59 »
Show Image

That's a good way to go about life. I don't have any fancy kitchen gadgets like a mixer or anything. Once I move into my own place, I'd like to buy an electronic burr grinder, but until then I'm satisfied with manual. Out of two years with my Skerton, there have only been two days I regretted having the manual. Both of those days were Christmas when we had family over for brunch. I spent a lot of time whirling the grinder around, especially since that side of the family runs on coffee. I would've been doing twice as many grind sessions with the Porlex too. But I'll take that. Otherwise, manuals are solid!

P.S. A little something-something showed up in my mail today...

Show Image

Thanks so much to Jema! The coffee is great!

Glad you like it!  :thumb:

Offline smarmar

« Reply #662 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 16:59:46 »
117182-0
Hey, looky what I also got in the mail today. Thanks, Jema! Despite being packaged in 4 layers of bags, I was assulted by a fantastic aroma upon opening my mailbox. Powerful stuff! Sadly, My burr grinder hasn't arrived yet so I'll be grinding with my cheapo electric blade grinder tomorrow morning.  :rolleyes: I'm sure it will be delicious nontheless.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #663 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 12:44:04 »

(Attachment Link)
Hey, looky what I also got in the mail today. Thanks, Jema! Despite being packaged in 4 layers of bags, I was assulted by a fantastic aroma upon opening my mailbox. Powerful stuff! Sadly, My burr grinder hasn't arrived yet so I'll be grinding with my cheapo electric blade grinder tomorrow morning.  :rolleyes: I'm sure it will be delicious nontheless.

Bro if you ever need to come over and use my grinder you're welcome to. I have a Baratza Vario for espresso and it works really well.
I'm back.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #664 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 19:58:12 »

(Attachment Link)

Bro if you ever need to come over and use my grinder you're welcome to. I have a Baratza Vario for espresso and it works really well.

Thanks for offer, man.
I ended up making Cafe Du Monde (Vietnamese-style) this morning because my Barnie's brand blade grinder kinda died. It spun up slowly and then just mixed the beans around for a while  :'( It went straight to the vertical file.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #665 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:54:32 »
(Attachment Link)

Awesome!! I was also tortured with the yummy aroma in my car. Glad it got to you safe  :thumb:

Offline Bartlebum

• Addict.
« Reply #666 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:44:29 »
Show Image

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Skerton-Storage-Capacity/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447695850&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hario+hand+dringer

Have this and LOVE it!

Razer | HHKB | Pok3r | GON

Offline smarmar

« Reply #667 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 12:44:25 »
Show Image

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Skerton-Storage-Capacity/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447695850&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hario+hand+dringer

Have this and LOVE it!

That one looks like it would be right up my alley. If the EcoGrinder I bought turns out to be crappy I might consider this one.  :thumb:

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #668 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 14:57:32 »
Show Image

Have this and LOVE it!

That one looks like it would be right up my alley. If the EcoGrinder I bought turns out to be crappy I might consider this one.  :thumb:

It didn't arrive yet? Where was it shipping from?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #669 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 23:26:15 »
Show Image

Have this and LOVE it!

i have both that Hario grinder and this one as well.
hario slim grinder

The tiny slim, is REALLY tiny, it's cute if you want to travel with it, but for normal everyday use it's worthless.

I actually bought it to mega fine grind onion power and other spices.

Recently my pepper mill broke, so i'm just using this and holy crap, i have it on mega fine grind and a little goes a long way. Since this costs as much as a good OXO grinder, i'll just keep using it as my pepper mill.

the skerton i have modded w/ a drill attachment, so it's just a super mega precise electric burr grinder.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #670 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:48:06 »
Show Image

Have this and LOVE it!

It didn't arrive yet? Where was it shipping from?

It was put on a slow boat to China, I suppose. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow. It was purchased with other items so maybe Amazon waited for all the items to be ready until they shipped them out together.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:49:59 by smarmar »

Offline smarmar

« Reply #671 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 13:52:11 »
Show Image

Have this and LOVE it!

i have both that Hario grinder and this one as well.
hario slim grinder

The tiny slim, is REALLY tiny, it's cute if you want to travel with it, but for normal everyday use it's worthless.

I actually bought it to mega fine grind onion power and other spices.

Recently my pepper mill broke, so i'm just using this and holy crap, i have it on mega fine grind and a little goes a long way. Since this costs as much as a good OXO grinder, i'll just keep using it as my pepper mill.

the skerton i have modded w/ a drill attachment, so it's just a super mega precise electric burr grinder.

That's rather crafty, using the slim for a spice grinder. And what you did with the drill...!

Offline Morning19

« Reply #672 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 22:51:20 »
Thought I would throw this out there.

Been roasting my own beans, and I tell you, it's a lot of fun and it's nice to have fresh roasted beans and finding out how you like certain things. If anyone has ever thought about it, it's actually really easy to get in to.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #673 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 07:51:53 »

Been roasting my own beans, and I tell you, it's a lot of fun and it's nice to have fresh roasted beans and finding out how you like certain things. If anyone has ever thought about it, it's actually really easy to get in to.

What are you using?  I use a stove top popper and it works well as long as I crank it continuously.
I'm back.

Offline Morning19

« Reply #674 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 09:08:59 »

What are you using?  I use a stove top popper and it works well as long as I crank it continuously.
Started with a $3 popcorn popper from goodwill that I rigged up. (Honestly not a whole lot of rigging). I uses an old can (that one would get corn from), and cut the top and bottom off and set on top. This allowed for an easier time for the beans to stay inside roasting when they became lighter from losing chaff.  I have however graduated to a Behmor as well, but still love roasting in that old popcorn popper as well.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #675 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:26:38 »

Started with a $3 popcorn popper from goodwill that I rigged up. (Honestly not a whole lot of rigging). I uses an old can (that one would get corn from), and cut the top and bottom off and set on top. This allowed for an easier time for the beans to stay inside roasting when they became lighter from losing chaff.  I have however graduated to a Behmor as well, but still love roasting in that old popcorn popper as well.

One of my running buddies roasted his own coffee beans for a while. He used a stove top popcorn popper. My dad has a stove top popcorn popper at the house. I've thought about trying to roast a few, but I don't want to ruin his popper. Plus, I don't need any more hobbies. :confused:

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Morning19

« Reply #676 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:51:27 »

One of my running buddies roasted his own coffee beans for a while. He used a stove top popcorn popper. My dad has a stove top popcorn popper at the house. I've thought about trying to roast a few, but I don't want to ruin his popper. Plus, I don't need any more hobbies. :confused:
Do it! It's so cheap to get into. Find a popcorn popper on craigslist for dirt cheap, then check out these guys, http://www.rosthauscoffee.com/#!green/c2pr  When I started off, I did the 5 pack, but I don't reccomend. I would say get a big bag of one or two single origin, then roast a batch at light, medium, dark, and taste and see what YOU like. Then you can start honing it in from there. (Just remember to let is "rest" for a few days, can taste grassy if you don't) It's more fun that way than reading what you should do. Find out how you like it. Reading and learning is half the fun! Plus, you get massive blooms if you are doing pour-overs or chemex.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:53:14 by Morning19 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #677 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 13:25:06 »

Just don't use the same one for popcorn and coffee.  Coffee-flavored popcorn is not good, and butter-flavored coffee is also not good.
I'm back.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #678 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 14:30:04 »
I've been wanting to get into roasting for a while, but I've assumed there's a lot of smoke and chaff involved, meaning it needs to be done outdoors, and I don't really have a private outdoor area at my current house. Will be moving soon to a house with a backyard so will probly give it a go then.

Offline Carcharocles

• Location: In the lonely, desolate wasteland of South Kansas City
    • The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #679 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:01:38 »
Can't roast around here, since all my local coffee shops (sans the big chains like Starbucks) exclusively use robusta. At least, the ones I'm aware of do. I also can't afford any high quality beans, so I'm stuck ordering from chains like Caribou (although honestly, it beats the h*** out of Folgers). Favorite blends from them that I can afford are the Starlight, Sombra del Poro, El Paraiso and Cosecha del Oro; I also love their Sumatran Peaberry, but I can never afford it.

Can definitely say I'm happy to see others in this thread using Moka pots and the Aeropress. Makes me feel better about my purchases. I generally use the Aeropress for my usual coffee, but the Moka pot for smaller, stronger cups. Either way, I like it strong, although not quite Espresso strength. And we grind our own beans using a hand-held burr grinder, only grinding enough for each use.

@zombimuncha: pretty sure it's possible to roast beans in an oven, at least in smaller batches. I've never heard of smoke being involved, and most roasteries use a specialized machine that works indoors and rotates the beans.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:03:40 by Carcharocles »
T1000 , Firmware ver. Doge.

Most deadly of them all.
Keyboards: Drevo Gramr (Outemu Browns); Logitech K480

Offline Morning19

« Reply #680 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 15:30:22 »
Can't roast around here, since all my local coffee shops (sans the big chains like Starbucks) exclusively use robusta. At least, the ones I'm aware of do. I also can't afford any high quality beans, so I'm stuck ordering from chains like Caribou (although honestly, it beats the h*** out of Folgers). Favorite blends from them that I can afford are the Starlight, Sombra del Poro, El Paraiso and Cosecha del Oro; I also love their Sumatran Peaberry, but I can never afford it.

Can definitely say I'm happy to see others in this thread using Moka pots and the Aeropress. Makes me feel better about my purchases. I generally use the Aeropress for my usual coffee, but the Moka pot for smaller, stronger cups. Either way, I like it strong, although not quite Espresso strength. And we grind our own beans using a hand-held burr grinder, only grinding enough for each use.

@zombimuncha: pretty sure it's possible to roast beans in an oven, at least in smaller batches. I've never heard of smoke being involved, and most roasteries use a specialized machine that works indoors and rotates the beans.

Aeropress is legit. It fits in my shaving kit and I can travel with it, my small hario grinder, and some beans and I am good to go. If I am visiting my inlaws I can make me a small cup and not have to drink k-cups or folgers. I am not too prissy, if that's all there I am a happy camper, but if it's within my control I would rather not!  :thumb:

Offline smarmar

« Reply #681 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:44:27 »

Aeropress is legit. It fits in my shaving kit and I can travel with it, my small hario grinder, and some beans and I am good to go. If I am visiting my inlaws I can make me a small cup and not have to drink k-cups or folgers. I am not too prissy, if that's all there I am a happy camper, but if it's within my control I would rather not!  :thumb:

I might start packing my coffee supplies now when I travel. The coffee situation is usually fine if I'm staying at someone's house but not while on the road or in a hotel (even those fancy-schmancy ones). I usually just bring along a bunch of tea bags because they're compact but the thing that's always a problem is the water! It's difficult to get good, clean, hot water while in a hotel. I end up having to buy bottled water and hope that my room has a microwave.
What's a java-junkie to do...

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #682 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 17:47:47 »

Ugh, K-cups. Some aren't too bad, but most are horrible. And weak as all ****.

I went from using Mr. Coffee clones to the Aeropress on a hunch. First we switched to 8-O'clock Coffee before buying the Aeropress, and noticed a difference but not too impressive of one. So we decided to jump on an Aeropress deal we found--500 filters and the Aeropress itself for less than 30 bucks. We were already grinding our own beans, so why not? The coffee suddenly tasted better, but we quickly got bored with its grocery store quality. So we switched to Green Mountain Coffee and were initially impressed, but then we noticed how inconsistent it was from month to month. We were given some whole bean Reindeer Blend by a friend, and decided to try other Caribou Coffees. My mom has gone from putting half a cup of sugar in her coffee to a couple of teaspoons, and I barely add any at all (I get the distinct feeling that if I could afford better coffee, I'd probably not add any sugar, but honestly the 8 bucks a pound Caribou Coffee is pushing it already with my stingy government income). I'd recommend anyone who wants a good cheap coffee maker to buy the Aeropress. It's fantastic for the price.

The Moka Pot came about because my mom wanted something that she didn't have to press to use. She ended up never using it, so it became mine. One thing to keep in mind with these things is you need to give time for them to get a coat of oils. Never scrub these oils off, they are your friend! That said, Moka pots make EXTREMELY strong non-espresso coffee, and don't give you much of it. Which is probably why my mom doesn't use it--she drinks from a giant cup.

Burr grinders is another thing that took my mom some getting used to. We had a grinder that used metal "blades" to grind coffee, and it charred the coffee with friction. So I bought a cheap burr grinder and was quite impressed with it. My mom didn't like the manual aspect to it, but now she uses it exclusively. The difference is subtle, but we noticed it.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #683 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 18:55:17 »
problem is the water! It's difficult to get good, clean, hot water while in a hotel. I end up having to buy bottled water and hope that my room has a microwave.
What's a java-junkie to do...
Most use this aeropress travel kit

Of course you have your aeropress.

The grinder is a
porlex mini
able to fit right in the aeropress

then you'd get the Able Brewing Grip / Travel Cap
so you can store about 5 servings of beens in the handle

to brew coffee, every hotel has a coffee maker, just use bottled water and your coffee maker can be your water kettle. (most likely it will not be at the desired 195f)

Offline smarmar

« Reply #684 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:35:17 »
to brew coffee, every hotel has a coffee maker, just use bottled water and your coffee maker can be your water kettle. (most likely it will not be at the desired 195f)
[/quote]

I've peaked into more than a few hotel coffee maker's reservoir and, as tempting as it is to use one, I can't bring myself to do it because of what I think might be lurking deep within those dark, dusty, clogged tubes.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #685 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 14:53:36 »
(Attachment Link)

Awesome!! I was also tortured with the yummy aroma in my car. Glad it got to you safe  :thumb:

I finally got to taste my new Blue Bottle coffee since my grinder came in. I set the grind to the finest setting and the resulting powder was so fine that the resulting espresso was opaque! I brewed it with a Moka pot and the ground must have come through the filter. Now, I'm not complaining; I like myself some strong, thick brew  :p  It reminded me of coffee made from an ibrik. It had a nice thin, barely perceived oily film (which I like) and it was very different from the Cuban espresso that I normally make. I need to try it a few more (dozen) times in order to get used to the new flavour.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #686 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 21:07:29 »
So I finally got a coffee maker today for Christmas! I've been wanting to join the thread for a while now as I do drink quite a bit of coffee and have used many coffee makers to brew my own, and always loved the taste of freshly brewed coffee.

To do list is to buy a coffee grinder and purchase some local beans to try. I'm located in Aus so hopefully there are some Aussies who'd like to partner up with an amateur :P

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #687 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 20:35:34 »
So I finally got a coffee maker today for Christmas! I've been wanting to join the thread for a while now as I do drink quite a bit of coffee and have used many coffee makers to brew my own, and always loved the taste of freshly brewed coffee.

To do list is to buy a coffee grinder and purchase some local beans to try. I'm located in Aus so hopefully there are some Aussies who'd like to partner up with an amateur :P

Check out the Hario Skerton great hand burr grinder!

Offline jaffers

« Reply #688 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 20:26:02 »

I'm looking at it and although it is cheap, will it last long? it looks a little bit rickety

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #689 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 20:29:03 »

I'm looking at it and although it is cheap, will it last long? it looks a little bit rickety

It is a solid grinder for the price but if you're hesitant, check out r/coffee on Reddit for recommendations.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #690 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:33:54 »

It is a solid grinder for the price but if you're hesitant, check out r/coffee on Reddit for recommendations.

I'll dip my toes in the water with it and see how it goes, definitely a good price

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #691 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:38:40 »

I'll dip my toes in the water with it and see how it goes, definitely a good price

I don't think you'll be disappointed but let me know what you think.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #692 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 21:46:32 »

Jaffers, mate. You've got access to a lot of top quality coffee here in AUS!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #693 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 22:45:22 »
Show Image

Have this and LOVE it!

UPDATE on EcoGrinder:
It broke after using it one time. For lack of correct terminology, the metal "feet" on the central shaft tore into the plastic disc that holds the burr in place thus rendering the grinder unable to change grind settings (see photo). I don't think that I had the turnscrew too tight while setting it for espresso because I backed it off a quarter or half turn just before the turnscrew became tight. More than one product review on Amazon stated similar findings so perhaps I should have taken heed.
After recommendations from others in this thread I'm leaning towards ordering the Hario Slim or the DuraCasa.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001804CLY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2G68LX8NP4B0B
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HR4P46?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A1MK18055VUYE9

(Attachment Link)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #694 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:53:18 »

I don't think you'll be disappointed but let me know what you think.

I definitely will :)

I know dude, I might have to send you some NQ coffee beans! :D I remember one of my friends saying that there was a lot of local growers around the area

Offline Carcharocles

• The Deathscape Mythos
« Reply #695 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 21:23:39 »
Anyone have any experience with Red Rooster Coffee? The exact blends I'm looking at are Old Crow Cuppa Joe, Ethiopia Nura Korate, and Sumatra Aceh Ketiara.

I'm looking for a decent bang-for-buck upgrade from our usual Latin American bundle from Caribou Coffee.

Most deadly of them all.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #696 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 02:19:35 »

I know dude, I might have to send you some NQ coffee beans! :D I remember one of my friends saying that there was a lot of local growers around the area
[/quote]

Bro, we can tee this up! I've got some great beans I can ship here from Campos!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #697 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 01:40:03 »

Bro, we can tee this up! I've got some great beans I can ship here from Campos!
[/quote]

Looks like its a plan stan :cool:
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 December 2015, 01:42:19 by jaffers »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #698 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:44:19 »
If you guys are interested, I'm posting a worklog of my espresso machine restoration/upgrade here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0
I'm back.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #699 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 23:18:28 »
If you guys are interested, I'm posting a worklog of my espresso machine restoration/upgrade here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Will the upgrade be completed by Sunday?  ;)