Author Topic: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange  (Read 222820 times)

Offline webs0r

Re: The Great Geekhack Coffee Exchange
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 05:54:05 »
There are some electric kettles that let you dial in or select a temp now. Would be perfect for these brewing methods!
Filco Ninja TKL Browns | Leopold FC700R Graphite Reds | Matias Quiet Pro | Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Constant-55g | Vortex RACE Reds | CM Storm Quickfire Pro Blues | CODE keyboard Clears

Offline Lanx

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 08:20:09 »
yea from most of them looks like a good one starts at 40bucks, not bad, i think white electric one was 20.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 11:32:06 »
Shouldn't we add our addresses so that we can ship coffee to each other? Is that what we're doing?

Oh, here's a photo of my office setup

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 11:55:49 »
Nice, I've been eyeing one of those Silvia's for my new home office... also, how do you like the Rocky grinder?  I'm currently using an aeropress/Breville 800XL burr grinder, but am moving to a new apartment in about a week and the grinder isn't coming with me (I'll be grinding by hand until I find a replacement).

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 12:06:41 »
So I drink coffee as a treat on the weekends. If I drink it durnig the week, it messes with my sleep schedule. I didn't get to try Binge's Costa Rican until tonight. First off, it's amazingly smooth. Very little bitterness. It's almost chocolately. And it's darker than the medium roast (forget exactly where they're from) beans I sent to Binge. Excuse me as I go and make 3 more cups of this deliciousness ^_^

Really happy you enjoyed yourself~  I've been mixing your coffee beans in with a local house blend, and I believe the best of both coffees blended together.  Really glad this all got started!

So... help your GH neighbor try something new.  Exchange some beans!

Shouldn't we add our addresses so that we can ship coffee to each other? Is that what we're doing?

You can do what you want ;)  But the ledger has everyone's username who WANTS to be a part of the exchange.  I understand the need for people's privacy, and I am making this a bit tough to get people's information to send surprise coffee.  Just PM anyone who's on the list and ask to swap some coffee!  This was the best way I could think of to keep information private.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 12:08:47 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 12:07:31 »
Nice, I've been eyeing one of those Silvia's for my new home office... also, how do you like the Rocky grinder?  I'm currently using an aeropress/Breville 800XL burr grinder, but am moving to a new apartment in about a week and the grinder isn't coming with me (I'll be grinding by hand until I find a replacement).

The whole setup is amazing. I think if your goal is to try and make coffee shop level espresso, it's a hard system to beat.

The grinder is excellent, but it does lump the grounds a little bit and having the dozer means it's a non-issue. Below is a somewhat silly video, but they go into great detail about the two models.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 21:38:02 »
Ok guys, I'm in!

I have the choice of a couple of local roasters (time for an adventure!):

Note: This will be as much an adventure for me as you guys, so there may be some coffee's I buy that nobody likes XD, and I have never been to any of these local roasters!

Paradise Roasters: http://www.paradiseroasters.com/ --> Minneapolis area.
Dogwood Coffee: http://www.dogwoodcoffee.com/ --> Minneapolis area.
Truestone Coffee: www.truestonecoffee.com/ --> St. Paul area.

Let me know what you guys think!

Cheers,

IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:02:08 »
Can you explain a doser to me?

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 20:55:03 »

if you look at the video in mashby's post it explains it,  basically the ground coffee goes into a carousel of hoppers (dosers) that deposit into the coffee makers basket.

More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:05:15 »

if you look at the video in mashby's post it explains it,  basically the ground coffee goes into a carousel of hoppers (dosers) that deposit into the coffee makers basket.

=Mind Blown=

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 11:52:48 »

=Mind Blown=

Coffee gets pretty fancy.

EVERYONE I'm going to be divvying up a pound of fresh beans and shipping them out Monday.  PM me your addresses and I'll send ya some beans for exchange!  Just send yours to the return address on the package.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 12:20:55 »

=Mind Blown=

Coffee gets pretty fancy.

EVERYONE I'm going to be divvying up a pound of fresh beans and shipping them out Monday.  PM me your addresses and I'll send ya some beans for exchange!  Just send yours to the return address on the package.

I'm going to the roaster today Binge! You might be getting a whole pound just for you XD

Cheers,

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 16:32:26 »
My roaster provides 8oz bags and I was thinking of sending out 2oz samples. Anyone feel that that is not enough coffee?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 16:36:46 »
My roaster provides 8oz bags and I was thinking of sending out 2oz samples. Anyone feel that that is not enough coffee?

Sounds good to me. :D

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 16:43:02 »

enough for a few cups and maybe a couple different brews.  Sounds good to me.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 16:49:54 »
So when I was at the roaster today, It looks like they'll sell me less than 1lb if I ask for it (Really laid back guys. Was so cool!) If you guys want a particular roast (There's like 15 XD) let me know. 2 oz. will make 1 full pot for the most part so that should be enough. Are you guys going to send only though Vacuum sealed bags? I'm trying to figure out a good way to ship without having to vacuum seal.

Binge you'll most likely simply get a full lb of beans from me early next week. Sorry for the delay man, you know it's all love!

Cheers,

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 16:54:21 »
I just use vaccum seal bags because its what I have and can use easily.  Coffee beans gas off CO2 so any bag containing will expand.  If you don't have a vaccum bag with a 1 way seal then the gas will expand in your packaging.  Left out too long you'll have a pop waiting to happen.  There shouldn't be much issue with 2-4 days in the mail, but be sure not to send an overly full bag without much room for it to expand.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 17:16:19 »
@bing and @CPTBadAss are already on the list, so I have one more slot available for sending a 2oz sample. First person to PM me their address get's it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 17:30:36 »
@bing and @CPTBadAss are already on the list, so I have one more slot available for sending a 2oz sample. First person to PM me their address get's it.

YGPM Mashby :D:D

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 01:00:53 »
Oh man, I am so in for this. We have an amazing roasting company close by my place, I use a chemex and a hario grinder for my coffee. (5-6 cups a day at the moment).
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline calavera

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 01:16:45 »
How much coffee do you guys drink a day? I've been having 4 cups in the morning....and I think I should cut back.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 01:26:05 »
How much coffee do you guys drink a day? I've been having 4 cups in the morning....and I think I should cut back.
1 in the morning, 1 in the car on the way to work, 3 in the afternoon (if im not working), then 2-3 at night.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline webs0r

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 04:48:42 »
Geez you guys drink a lot. I pull a shot at home in the morning, and then have 1-2 when I'm at work. Having 3 a day actually makes me feel worse in the evenings, so now I'm trying to stick to 2.
Filco Ninja TKL Browns | Leopold FC700R Graphite Reds | Matias Quiet Pro | Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary Constant-55g | Vortex RACE Reds | CM Storm Quickfire Pro Blues | CODE keyboard Clears

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 06:40:10 »
Two or three cups a week. Coffee destroys my sleep schedule so I only drink it on the weekends.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 08:14:05 »
Depends what you mean by a "cup". If you mean a mug so ~12 oz, then I drink 3-4 a day during the week, 4-6 during the weekend.

Cheers,

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 08:17:48 »
I typically do a double shot first thing and then drink about 16 - 20oz of regular coffee throughout the morning. I like to think of it like having a shot with a beer back. :))  Then between 2pm and 3pm I'll do another double espresso to get me through the afternoon.

If I'm at a restaurant and have a heavy dinner, I'll usually have a cup of coffee after dinner. Espresso if it looks like they know what they're doing. Same things goes for holiday dinners, I'll make a pot or two of coffee with the Chemex after everyone's eaten.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 14:41:56 »
i generally drink 1 or 2 cups a day. if i just got new coffee i tend to drink more though.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 15:29:28 »
I drink one LARGE container a day.  I brew in the morning and put it all in a thermos.  Lasts me until the afternoon.

***SPECIAL NOTE TO EVERYONE EXCHANGING COFFEE***

Please be considerate that one of the most prevalent allergies is a reaction to nuts.

To prevent any serious issues arising from this exchange please sent regular (unflavored/unadulterated roast) coffees ONLY unless otherwise specified by your exchange pal.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 21:40:32 »
ok now i'm sufficiently motivated to change my coffee ritual but expense of equipment being high and likelyhood of me maintaining a roasting, grinding custom being low, the cheap and easy route is looking good... That aeropress is calling to me, i can hear it! i'm going to order one.
Will leave more cash for keycaps, yeah that's the ticket
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 21:49:48 »
ok now i'm sufficiently motivated to change my coffee ritual but expense of equipment being high and likelyhood of me maintaining a roasting, grinding custom being low, the cheap and easy route is looking good... That aeropress is calling to me, i can hear it! i'm going to order one.
Will leave more cash for keycaps, yeah that's the ticket

Beginning of the end man. Soon you'll be elbow deep in coffee and keyboard swag. Sad wallet, happy deepthawt :P

Offline tauburn

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 13:36:36 »
I drink one LARGE container a day.  I brew in the morning and put it all in a thermos.  Lasts me until the afternoon.

***SPECIAL NOTE TO EVERYONE EXCHANGING COFFEE***

Please be considerate that one of the most prevalent allergies is a reaction to nuts.

To prevent any serious issues arising from this exchange please sent regular (unflavored/unadulterated roast) coffees ONLY unless otherwise specified by your exchange pal.

Flavored coffee isnt real coffee. Natural coffee only should go without saying for this.

Offline codymaust

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 18:21:26 »
Hey Tauburn, have you ever been to Green Street Roasters in South Phila?

I'm thinking of heading over this weekend, but they have a pretty nice online store setup as well.

greenstreetcoffee.com/shop

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 10:07:49 »
4 exchangers will have new coffee by Friday at the latest!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 10:08:28 »

Ooo-rah! :D  I just ran out of your Costa Rican beans and I'm jonesing for some new amazing-ness

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 10:12:24 »

HAWT. Binge I'm still waiting to hear back from the coffee roaster.

Cheers,

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 12:49:27 »
Hey guys, If you're interested in receiving Coffee from a roaster in St. Paul, MN please pm me. I'll be distributing 1lb of beans divided amongst the number of responders. Please include your Address in your PM if I don't have it already! >.>

I plan on buying beans this week and shipping no later than next Monday.

Cheers,

P.S. Binge you still will be getting your full amount XD

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 20:07:37 »
@binge: you inspired me with your pics of the aeropress, i just got one in the mail,  nice!
HAIL BEAN
More

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 20:13:34 »
Thanks for the tracking Binge! I appreciate it!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 20:26:15 »
@binge: you inspired me with your pics of the aeropress, i just got one in the mail,  nice!
HAIL BEAN

ALL HAIL THE BEAN, O GLORIOUS DELIVERER OF CAFFEINE AND GOODNESS.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 21:33:08 »
Hey Tauburn, have you ever been to Green Street Roasters in South Phila?

I'm thinking of heading over this weekend, but they have a pretty nice online store setup as well.

greenstreetcoffee.com/shop

i've heard of them. i think i'll get my next bag of coffee there

Offline emptyk

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 12:36:09 »
Hmm. I just noticed this thread today. Coffee=Good. As summarized right here.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:13:36 »
Made a rather rushed brew (managed to hand grind my own beans anyway) with a blend of peaberries from different regions of the globe.

It is caffeine heaven!  Unfortunately I didn't get to brew it to spec and it isn't as tasty as it can get.  :(

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 18:05:04 »
Oooo, peaberries. In other news? I got the Binge house blend. GH Feb cap mounted on it.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 21:42:55 »
I know others had to of received their treats  ;D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 08:48:33 »
Thoughts on the Binge House Blend: Very low acid with a touch of a bitter aftertaste which counters the sugar nicely. It's actually a lot like the blend I sent Binge originally. I like it but I think I botched the grind and it was a little too coarse. I'll try again tomorrow with a finer blend to see if any of the flavor profiles change.

Binge, what was the blend that I sent you? I forgot.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 08:58:31 »
the  coffee im drinking right now is horrible :(
its called americas best coffee -__-

i like the aeropress pictures, i think im too lazy to do something like that in the morning.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 09:13:43 »
I received Binge's care package in the mail yesterday. Included with the beans were two keys from the January GH Pack from TechKeys.us. Thanks Binge!

I plan on doing a brew tomorrow using my Chemex and I'll do another post after I've had a taste. Also, I'm picking up my beans later today and sending them out by Monday.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 09:25:43 »
Thoughts on the Binge House Blend: Very low acid with a touch of a bitter aftertaste which counters the sugar nicely. It's actually a lot like the blend I sent Binge originally. I like it but I think I botched the grind and it was a little too coarse. I'll try again tomorrow with a finer blend to see if any of the flavor profiles change.

Binge, what was the blend that I sent you? I forgot.

you sent me a roast of el salvadore beans.  they do taste great mixed with the house blend

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 09:34:28 »
Just brewed up a cup of Binge. The beans before grinding were aromatic, definitely had some fruit, and maybe just the slightest hint of chocolate.

The grind: not very aromatic, very dark and rich. Beans needed a little bit of extra grinding compared to my local roasts.

The brewed cup: Sweet, but with a sour finish and aftertaste.

Caution:
The flavor will very widely on ratio of grind to water. I will make a second pot later that is stronger and if my findings are different edit my post.

Pix of Binge goodies!
http://imgur.com/a/c9Lul

Cheers,

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 09:53:08 »
the  coffee im drinking right now is horrible :(
its called americas best coffee -__-

i like the aeropress pictures, i think im too lazy to do something like that in the morning.

An aeropress will always be there and is a great tool for learning more about extracting bean.  If you ever get the motivation for great weekend coffee that's the ticket!

Just brewed up a cup of Binge. The beans before grinding were aromatic, definitely had some fruit, and maybe just the slightest hint of chocolate.

The grind: not very aromatic, very dark and rich. Beans needed a little bit of extra grinding compared to my local roasts.

The brewed cup: Sweet, but with a sour finish and aftertaste.

Caution:
The flavor will very widely on ratio of grind to water. I will make a second pot later that is stronger and if my findings are different edit my post.

Pix of Binge goodies!
http://imgur.com/a/c9Lul

Cheers,

Yes!  The bean can get very watered down.  Increase the temperature of water for courser grind or go for a more fine grind. :)