Author Topic: Changing SMD lighting color - experimenting with stained glass paint/varnish  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Ludo_Lorenz

• Let's talk!
Howdy!
I'm currently restoring a keyboard that has white SMD backlighting.

I've just fixed it up, and was gifted a new set of keycaps for it today  :D :D :D! I thought it'd be really nice if the lights were orange instead to match the set! But how would you, my friend, recommend I check for compatibility, if I were to replace the SMDs?

What I know is the following:

1. The current SMDs are white with 2.65V of current running through them
2. They are preceded by 680 resistors
3. The board will have Akko (gateron-based) switches, which are SMD compatible, I'm pretty sure

I would love to have orange SMDs on it! Which numbers do you believe I should watch for when shopping for them? I'd prefer not to have to change the resistors as well, but if that's what I gotta do, then I might consider some orange cellophane on top of the SMDs hehehe  ;D

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 September 2021, 21:53:34 by Ludo_Lorenz »

Offline Ludo_Lorenz

• Let's talk!
Re: Replacing a keyboards's SMDs - wishing I remembered my HS physics classes
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 18:45:57 »
Update:

I did some research and some new tests on the board to find the current of the LEDs and whatnot, and found out that switching these SMDs would be too tough for my skill level.

Having this in mind, it was suggested to me that I attempt a different approach - ink for glass.

It's one of the safer, cheaper and easier ways to change an LED's color. Since this board was destined for the bin and I saved it, I feel comfortable testing this technique without too much fear of wrecking it.

Once I try it, I'll post the results here.  :thumb: