Author Topic: Onyx wrist rest for my Topre 60%!  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Sniping

Onyx wrist rest for my Topre 60%!
« on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:02:34 »
I went to local place that did marble countertops in search for a marble wristrest. I couldn't really find any pieces of marble that were the right size and looked good to me. I ended up coming home with a piece of what they called onyx, I'm not sure what variety or if it's genuine or man-made for that matter, but I like the look of it a lot more than I liked the marble that I saw there. The rest looks pretty nice under light but even without light it looks sort of cloudy and quite nice.
Edit: Sorry about the crappy overexposed pictures, I may take some more later but there seems to be a lot of detail lost in my bad photography.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:13:36 by Sniping »

Offline Sniping

Re: Onyx wrist rest for my Topre 60%!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:05:52 »
For some reason I couldn't post all three of my pictures at the same time, so here's another.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:07:30 »
Now that is unique, was it expensive?
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Sniping

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:11:49 »
Not at all. The advantage of going to a countertop place is that pretty much all the pieces that they cut and sell are freaking huge, so anything the size of a wrist rest gets thrown out. I actually didn't pay anything for the material itself, but I piad to get it cut and polished, which is more expensive than you may think, but still a very good price.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:22:06 »
It does look pretty cool though.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:26:05 »
Huh..... there's a place that does stuff like this near where I live as well.... might have to try this out!
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 16:27:50 »
Bazemk1979 had an IC up for a GB to do marble wrist rests. Not sure where it's gone but I know it's still active.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 17:07:41 »
Didn't he stop posting in that thread a while ago? I was following the thread for a bit but he kinda just dropped the idea and he was thinking of charging around $40-$50 a piece, which is a bit much for me personally as a cheap asian haha.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 17:19:42 »
I honestly don't know my Asian brother. I just know it was around. Anyways, looks like you got a workaround and it looks nice so it all worked out :D

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 17:28:17 »
Bazemk1979 had an IC up for a GB to do marble wrist rests. Not sure where it's gone but I know it's still active.

I'm waiting on my friend that we are working together to hook me up with his cousin that has counter top business. But job has been keeping us busy and I never got introduced to his cousin. Once when I meet him, I will tell him I need lots of scraps, buy them for cheapo and start making some granite wrist rest in different sizes. I can cut them,round and polish the edges my self. Most likely wont be anything GB related but I would like to keep the prices lowish, depending on size of the wrist rest somewhere around 30-45 USD.

BTW OP that's onyx marble, its not bad wont break easy, but you dropped it once there is a high chance that it will either chipout or break. Onyx is famous by its colors and its light colored texture, but its soft stone that's why its easy to be cut.

Here is a pic from a huge backsplash I did 4 years a go, everything was glued with 100% silicone on the panels, I had to be careful how I figure out the layout on ut because behind the panels there was LED's installed and in case an LED died they should be able to remove that panel and replace it LOL. Was real tricky job, but anything is doable. Oh yeas and that's Onyx btw.

Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Sniping

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 19:22:46 »

I'm waiting on my friend that we are working together to hook me up with his cousin that has counter top business. But job has been keeping us busy and I never got introduced to his cousin. Once when I meet him, I will tell him I need lots of scraps, buy them for cheapo and start making some granite wrist rest in different sizes. I can cut them,round and polish the edges my self. Most likely wont be anything GB related but I would like to keep the prices lowish, depending on size of the wrist rest somewhere around 30-45 USD.

BTW OP that's onyx marble, its not bad wont break easy, but you dropped it once there is a high chance that it will either chipout or break. Onyx is famous by its colors and its light colored texture, but its soft stone that's why its easy to be cut.

Here is a pic from a huge backsplash I did 4 years a go, everything was glued with 100% silicone on the panels, I had to be careful how I figure out the layout on ut because behind the panels there was LED's installed and in case an LED died they should be able to remove that panel and replace it LOL. Was real tricky job, but anything is doable. Oh yeas and that's Onyx btw.

Thanks for the clarification man, I know nothing about marble and even less about your GB  :)

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 June 2013, 19:04:10 »
I will try to not make it as GB, specially if it turns out I get high numbers of orders... then I'll be in  trouble having to rush to finish my work and then after work start making the wrist rests.... No need to be a GB but if I take 5-10 orders at time and have them done in a week and ship them then it would be ok. Would like to keep prices to $30 for pokers/pure/TKL, $35 for modern 104 board, $40 for 101 IBM and $45 for the IBM tanks 122 keys. Probably I can make mouse wrest and numberpad wrest at $15 price.

But in order to make it happen I need some free time for me and my frined needs some free time, considering the way the economy is we don't mind keeping it busy even though we don't make the same money as we used to.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 June 2013, 07:51:28 by bazemk1979 »
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?