Author Topic: Filco Keybaords  (Read 1585 times)

Offline MrRussell

Filco Keybaords
« on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:34:19 »
I was in the market for a new keyboard, as the current keyboard I have is around 4 or 5 years old, and I could use an upgrade.
What are your guys opinion on this keyboard? http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104MC-EB2/dp/B004VKYHP4
I will mostly use it for gaming, as well as College work.
Thank you for reading :-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Filco Keybaords
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:36:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Filco is a fine keyboard!

Although depending on what you want, you might be able to find something else at similar quality for a bit less.  QFR, for example, if you don't mind losing the numeric keypad.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MrRussell

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:41:35 »
Yes, I was looking at some of the Quickfire keyboards, Specifically this one: http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-Pro-Mechanical/dp/B007VDOOBU But on researching some more, I found it was hard to get the QuickFire Pro with Blue LED's and Switches. Are there any websites that have it in stock now?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:48:39 »
I own 3 Filcos for a reason. It'll last you forever.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:52:26 »
I wasn't aware that QF Pro had blue LEDs.

I would probably suggest Filco over QF Pro if you need the numpad, or QFR if not (although I don't think they have blue LEDs either).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MrRussell

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 17:02:16 »
LED's are not necesity, But what about the Quick Fire XT? I would like to keep the numpad as I use it frequently when typing numbers. I would prefer Blue switches though, as I prefer the feel of them to my current Browns

Offline genkidama

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 17:03:29 »
Depending on where you live, I might suggest a Ducky board. I got it for less than any Filco I could buy here.

Ducky has a lot of different keyboards, with and without LEDs. Maybe you can browse through Duckys keyboards and look if your shop have them in stock.

Or you can try a keycool? They also have full-sized boards at banggood.com and maybe this shop suits you well.
Here is a keycool without LEDs.

But I dunno about build quality for keycools. But Duckys should be around the same build quality as Filcos.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 17:43:53 »
"Filco Keybaords"? The amount of blatant typos on keyboard forums never ceases to amaze me.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 18:23:52 »
"Filco Keybaords"? The amount of blatant typos on keyboard forums never ceases to amaze me.

He's on a rubber dome. Let's assume the crusty, tired switch type caused the mistype.
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 23:38:30 »
that man definitely needs a Filco!

He's on a rubber dome. Let's assume the crusty, tired switch type caused the mistype.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 23:46:31 »
Filco is the best.
Take a look at the videos where they take apart that keyboard. That's where that quality really shows.
If you type on a Filco and then try typing on other mechanical keyboards - you'll notice the difference in quality.

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 00:15:09 »
I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Majestouch ninja 2 with browns (for better double tapping in sc2). I really considered going with the cooler master for the detachable cord but everyone says that the build quality on the filco really is noticeable. You can really tell the difference in typing / gaming, from what people have told me on this forum. How hard would it be to mod the cord to allow for a detachable one? I've seen people do it. Is it just as simple as unscrewing the back plate and changing out the cord?

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 00:42:38 »
I have 2 Filcos, you won't regret going Filco. They are rock solid and great to type on.