Author Topic: Zero Shines are in  (Read 4830 times)

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
Zero Shines are in
« on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:02:42 »
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Zero Shines are in
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:16:21 »
Interested to see a review on these!!

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 16:29:10 »
those prices seem really good, I don't know the difference between this and the shine 2 though other than TKL

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
  • MechanicalKeyboards.com
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 16:59:39 »
The Zero Shines are more of an "economical" Shine. The LEDs have 7 levels of brightness and has the pulsing feature.
The LED colors also vary from the Shine IIs when seen side by side (blue vs blue, orange vs orange). I will be taking comparative pictures of that tomorrow and will be uploaded to our website shortly thereafter.
Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
Josh@mechanicalkeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:25:48 »
Shine Zero also has non-removable cable, IIRC?  This will be fine with most people.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 19:26:53 »
That's correct. Same with the standard Zero.
Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline shifted

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:12:08 »
The Zero Shines are more of an "economical" Shine. The LEDs have 7 levels of brightness and has the pulsing feature.
The LED colors also vary from the Shine IIs when seen side by side (blue vs blue, orange vs orange). I will be taking comparative pictures of that tomorrow and will be uploaded to our website shortly thereafter.

Will the pictures be located the same place the product pictures are located now?  Like here: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=487

I am really curious to see if the new blue is less purple than the Shine II keyboards.

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 13:30:25 »
This is directly from the camera. All I did was reduce the pic through pshop.

The camera exaggerates the amount of purple, but it's still very noticeable in person.
People often complain that the blue hurts there eyes and this will certainly help with that. It's very easy on the eyes.

Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 18:55:09 »
The Shine (1, 2) blue seemed a very deep intense blue, but the very few pictures I have seen of the Shine Zero seem to show a very light blue.

It could be a trick of the light, but is this the case?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 20:10:38 »
That's an accurate statement. The Shine I/II blue LED took me A LONG time to get accustomed to. I where glasses and the blue is really difficult on my eyes at any sort of angle. Makes the characters 3D.

The Zero Shine's blue is VERY accurate in the picture posted... at least on my screen at both home and at work.
It's the color of the ocean on all the beachfront resorts advertisements.
Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline shifted

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:54:41 »
Nice, thanks for the picture.  I went ahead and ordered a Zero Shine.  I just like the dedicated media keys the Zero uses much better than the Shine series (the volume keys, but mostly the mute key, are very useful to me).  I also like the spacebar on the zero better even though I know that can be changed it is just a small thing that pushed me further.

It is interesting they use a different blue in each to me.  I am not sure I like one better than the other except for the fact that the lighter blue seems to match the blue used in most of my other equipment better.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:02:37 by shifted »

Offline shifted

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 18:37:23 »
I just got my ducky zero shine and it is really6 nice but the light level is not remembered when I reboot.  I was under the impression it was supposed to be remembered between boots?  When I restart or turn my computer on the light level gets set to off...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 18:39:33 »
I just got my ducky zero shine and it is really6 nice but the light level is not remembered when I reboot.  I was under the impression it was supposed to be remembered between boots?  When I restart or turn my computer on the light level gets set to off...

The original Shine 1 did not remember either - maybe this was a sacrifice they made (a simpler controller) to keep the price down.

Offline shifted

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 18:42:33 »
Ok, so, I just needed to RTFM... I guess you need to save the light level manually.  "Fn + S".  Whew, I was worried for a moment..

It's pretty nice, though I don't have extensive experience with mechanical keyboards. 

One thing I have noticed is that the cherry stabilizers feel much more like costar stabilizers than my Deck keyboard did.  What I mean is the action is really easy.  Not mushy or stiff at all.  Before this keyboard I was using a Max Keyboard Nighthawk with costar stabilizers and I was worried going to the Ducky due to my negative experience on my previous Deck keyboard.  I am not sure if Ducky has tweaked the design or used better lube or what but the action on the spacebar and the longer keys is much easier than my Deck keyboard was with Cherry stabilizers.  The space bar doesn't stick at all.  My Deck did have Cherry black switches (and a gray one for the space bar) which may have been part of it but those longer keys still felt really stiff and sort of uneven.

One negative to me is that the keys with the toggle switches, like Caps, NumLk, Scroll Lock, etc... do not adjust light levels.  They are either on (about the highest brightness) or off.  Would have been nice to have those lights adjust with the rest.  Minor issue but I thought I would point it out.

The keys are real smooth, almost glossy.  They aren't glossy when you look at them really but they feel kind of glossy.  I also have a Max keyboard nighthawk and those keys are more matte than these.  Again, I don't have much experience with various keys and these seem as good as any I have used.

I got the Blue LED and Cherry Red switches and they feel like other Cherry reds :)  The space bar also has a red switch if anyone is curious.

I haven't tested scientifically but the n-key rollover over USB seems to work perfectly.

The keyboard came with replacement wasd keys which are still ABS but they are dark gray rather than black.  It also came with a plastic key puller that is shaped like the Ducky logo.

All in all I am pleased with my first Ducky.

I will post pictures later tonight when the family goes to bed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2013, 22:15:54 by shifted »

Offline shifted

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 22:04:54 »

The flash makes the keys appear more gray than they really are in this picture.

Here you can see the alternate WASD keys and the key cap puller.

Here you can see how much brighter the toggle keys are than the keys that you can adjust the brightness.  The camera is blowing out the bright keys really bad.  You can still easily read the keys and the brighter keys aren't quite as noticeable as the camera makes them appear but this gives a good idea of what I mean.

It comes with a plastic cover that you could use for a dust cover.  Pretty nice actually, though I probably won't use it.  Also, this is the photo in which the blue looks closest to the actual color of the LEDs.  The other pictures are making the blue slightly more white than they appear to my eye.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2013, 22:11:26 by shifted »

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 14:17:24 »
Does this tint of blue match the rest of your equipment like you had hoped it would?
Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline shifted

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 00:32:18 »
Yep, exactly.  Looks just like the power button on my tower, my speaker controls and on my Samsung monitor :)