Author Topic: stretch a Cherry spring  (Read 4243 times)

Offline pyro

stretch a Cherry spring
« on: Thu, 21 July 2011, 13:11:32 »
Not only does it enable you to pick a title like that, I've stretched a broken (non tactile) blue spring from 1.4cm to 2cm and I find myself not bottoming out that one anymore.

It's pretty hard to press now, though, so 2cm probably is too much, maybe 1.8 is better.

Has anyone else tried this and can report how it works out in the long run? I find myself bottoming out pretty often, though it's gotten better the past few days.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 09:30:43 »
Wow. Four days without any comments.  I think you may have found a taboo!
I haven't tried this, but it sounds intriguing... I think it would weaken the springs, though.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline pyro

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 16:15:49 »
The spring I originally stretched to 20mm has shrunk back to 18mm after 2 days, so this probably isn't a permanent solution.
I ordered some silicone o-rings instead and plan to put them directly under the spring, thus increasing initial force threshold and hopefully softening the bottom-out-hit a little.

Offline bluecar5556

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 23:40:42 »
I've seen people cut off a coil or two off the spring on a car suspension to lower it or better yet, those who put spring compressors on the springs to squeeze them together and leave them on the car to achieve the same effect.  This is why you do not want to be a spring in the after life, no, please, don't, stop, noooo AHHHH!

Offline sordna

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 00:53:05 »
Quote from: pyro;386946
I ordered some silicone o-rings instead and plan to put them directly under the spring, thus increasing initial force threshold and hopefully softening the bottom-out-hit a little.

What are the o-ring specs, can you provide a URL with details about them?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bluecar5556

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 10:29:41 »
Quote from: ripster;388074
Wow, and Lanx called me racist?  This sig is anti-Semitic.

Show Image

From the forum rules:

Irony: The use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.  "Wow, and Lanx called me racist? This sig is anti-Semitic."  Have you looked at Israel's flag lately, Ripster?  I encourage you to read the fine print from the article in my sig, educate yourself.

Offline pyro

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 10:33:47 »
They're 1.5mm x 1.5mm VMQ 70 (~ standard material) silicone rings, I ordered them here
http://lelebeck.de/11002.htm (german shop)

They fit, but I don't like the effect. It reduces keytravel (increases bottoming out frequency) and the hit isn't soft, but more of a hard thud.

Offline sordna

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 10:46:06 »
1.5mm? So you install them inside the switch, to preload the spring? Wow.
Anyway, I like low-force switches, so I only use o-rings to soften the bottoming out, but you need to find a durometer of 50 or less, otherwise you get the hard thud you described. The o-rings I'm using install very easily, on the keycap stem. For metric the ideal size is 5mm inside diameter, 1.5mm thickness. They have an almost imperceptible reduction in key travel,  less than half a millimeter. For more info check the thread pointed to in my sig.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bluecar5556

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 10:54:37 »
Modding springs leaves a metallic taste in my mouth.  As sordna suggested, maybe you want to try using shims/spacers?  I'm assuming getting springs made is out of the question?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 16:32:45 »
Yeah, as far as cherry springs go, I think I want something in between red/blue/brown and black/clear.

I wonder if alps springs would fit, cause I'm pretty sure that's about where they are force wise.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline sordna

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 16:43:54 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;388330
Yeah, as far as cherry springs go, I think I want something in between red/blue/brown and black/clear.

Easy, the Rapoo v7 has such springs.

And qtan sells these keyboards, check here. $53 I believe.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

stretch a Cherry spring
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 17:40:00 »
Unless you can actually stick clear stems (or blue) inside there, I think it's too expensive to buy just for springs.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)