Author Topic: [GB] 3FCT - Ep 1: GMK TA Royal Alpha 610 Inspired Set ~~~~Shipped!!!~~~~  (Read 1359019 times)

Offline jaffers

There needs to be a super promotional video by a big tech youtube channel that promotes cherry profile and high quality caps. Those crappy 50 dollar caps and SA profile are not worth it and don't even look that good IMO.

Offline Willyc277

As good of a set this is, it might not reach MOQ at all. These ****ing people and their taste in ****ty rainbow vomit colour schemes in crappy SP SA profile, really grinds my gears. They don't know quality when they see it.

I feel the same way! It might come off as elitist, but as I said in the IC thread IMO people don't appreciate the quality of GMK caps, especially when they've never seen/owned them. They've read somewhere that PBT>ABS and they can get their tai-hai rainbow caps for 50 bucks and that's just that.

I get that not everyone wants to sink the amounts of money into this hobby that some of us are, I even like some of the unicorn-vomit colorways, what I don't get is the complaining and bashing and trolling and discouraging others from joining the drop, that is going on in the MD comments section.

I really hope we'll reach MOQ despite all the haters, would be a shame not to see this set produced.

As good of a set this is, it might not reach MOQ at all. These ****ing people and their taste in ****ty rainbow vomit colour schemes in crappy SP SA profile, really grinds my gears. They don't know quality when they see it.

i hate the unicorn vomit s*** too, but that argument doesn't hold up here. GMK Hyperfuse and Triumph Adler were both ridiculously successful and they were both over $100.

I'd join in a heartbeat if the green mods were included with the base set, but I just can't justify spending $200 on a keyset, and it seems like quite a few people share my opinion.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

I feel the same way! It might come off as elitist, but as I said in the IC thread IMO people don't appreciate the quality of GMK caps, especially when they've never seen/owned them. They've read somewhere that PBT>ABS and they can get their tai-hai rainbow caps for 50 bucks and that's just that.

I get that not everyone wants to sink the amounts of money into this hobby that some of us are, I even like some of the unicorn-vomit colorways, what I don't get is the complaining and bashing and trolling and discouraging others from joining the drop, that is going on in the MD comments section.

I really hope we'll reach MOQ despite all the haters, would be a shame not to see this set produced.

i hate the unicorn vomit s*** too, but that argument doesn't hold up here. GMK Hyperfuse and Triumph Adler were both ridiculously successful and they were both over $100.

I'd join in a heartbeat if the green mods were included with the base set, but I just can't justify spending $200 on a keyset, and it seems like quite a few people share my opinion.

I completely understand that sentiment, but what I don't understand is why people didn't mention this earlier in IC phase? It's not like the number of keycaps isn't indicative of the price. I've highlighted that my initial plan was to have the green mods in the base set, however from the responses in the IC thread, I was led to believe that a full light gray base set would be preferred. This seems to have been detrimental to the (possible)failure of this Group Buy. Hopefully we can find a solution soon. GMK are slow to respond :/

Offline jaffers

Is this classic beige?  :-\  :-\  :-\

Offline Willyc277

I completely understand that sentiment, but what I don't understand is why people didn't mention this earlier in IC phase? It's not like the number of keycaps isn't indicative of the price. I've highlighted that my initial plan was to have the green mods in the base set, however from the responses in the IC thread, I was led to believe that a full light gray base set would be preferred. This seems to have been detrimental to the (possible)failure of this Group Buy. Hopefully we can find a solution soon. GMK are slow to respond :/

Unfortunately interest checks don't carry much weight imo, which is why I try to stay away from them. There are many times when I'm tempted to post in them, but I'm not in a position to be able to guarantee that I'll have the funds when the group buy starts, so I stay away. It really is a shame that so many people don't come through when it's actually time to order, but I don't really see any solution either.

I do think it is a gorgeous set, though. Love the sub-legends and will try like hell to justify placing an order!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Thoughts on these sets?

Base

Green Mods

Light Gray Mods

-- Spacebar packs in the three (AE, N7, 3K) will also be available.
-- Outcasts kit absorbed among the three kits. Pairing either mods with the alphas will give you compatibility with most layouts (ANSI, ISO, WhiteFox, FC660, 1800, HHKB, 65%, 75%)

Offline WNovizar

Thoughts on these sets?

Base
Show Image

Pricing?

Green Mods
Show Image

Light Gray Mods
Show Image

-- Outcasts kit absorbed among the three kits. Pairing either mods with the alphas will give you compatibility with most layouts (ANSI, ISO, WhiteFox, FC660, 1800, HHKB, 65%, 75%)
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
I can't disclose the pricing information, but total price for all the sets will be about the same as it is now.
It will be cheaper to own alphas+green mods than before.
It will be slightly more expensive (Maybe ~$15 more) to own the old base kit (alphas+gray mods) however, you will have support for all the alternate layouts.

Offline WNovizar

I can't disclose the pricing information, but total price for all the sets will be about the same as it is now.
It will be slightly more expensive (Maybe ~$15 more) to own the old base kit (alphas+gray mods) however, you will have support for all the alternate layouts.

Huh what? then you won't even tell massdrop about the new pricing structure?

Offline renne

Thoughts on these sets?

Base
Show Image

Green Mods
Show Image

Light Gray Mods
Show Image

I only need the green mod, this gonna save me a lot than picking both green mod+outcast. :thumb:

Offline Phirr

• If you don't work you die.
Thoughts on these sets?

Base
Show Image

Green Mods
Show Image

Light Gray Mods
Show Image

Looks good to me

Offline Phirr

I don't think Massdrop just asks MOZ what the prices should be. I'm pretty sure they would be in contact with the manufacturer.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious

Thoughts on these sets?

Base
Show Image

Green Mods
Show Image

Light Gray Mods
Show Image

I'm tempted to think this will be even more confusing to the wide range of massdrop customers.

On the other hand it would make the set cheaper for those who want green mods only.

I'm kinda undecided on this one tbh.

How about just dropping numpad?
Feels to me like the majority of people just need tkl anyway...
Would be sad for 1800 layout people but might help with decreasing the price for the most.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
LOL, I can't reveal pricing until discussed with MassDrop.

Offline Phirr

Thoughts on these sets?

Base
Show Image

Green Mods
Show Image

Light Gray Mods
Show Image

I'm tempted to think this will be even more confusing to the wide range of massdrop customers.

On the other hand it would make the set cheaper for those who want green mods only.

Would be sad for 1800 layout people but might help with decreasing the price for the most.

Alternatively, because many sets lack numpad/1800 support, people that own such keyboards (myself included) are that much more likely to buy a set.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Possible to have a TKL base with same mods, green TKL mods and Numpad with the mod keys in gray & green in one set.

Offline Phirr

I'm biased, but I think having it the way you had the mockup above makes the green mod set more likely to meet MOQ, as people can buy one set and swap all their mods out. Those only needing tkl mods are likely already taken care of, as electric bluegaloo shipped recently.

Offline Willyc277

Man the green mod + base kit would be an insta-buy for me!!!!

Offline StormyMonday

Thoughts on these sets?

Base
Show Image

Green Mods
Show Image

Light Gray Mods
Show Image

Alternatively, because many sets lack numpad/1800 support, people that own such keyboards (myself included) are that much more likely to buy a set.

Agreed. I am in primarily due to the comprehensive 1800 support. I also like the ability to rotate modifier colors and shift the set to a 660M, 65%, 75%, WhiteFox or TKL in the future. My OCD does not permit mismatched cap heights and profiles, so I would rather have a few complete sets that fit all of my odd boards, than multiple sets that only have proper support for a TKL. I'd be lying if I said that I like the big price tag, but the convenience is worth it to me. I only use a couple of my boards at a time and I rotate them periodically. Having a handful of comprehensive keycap sets that will fit everything is actually cheaper and less frustrating for me, in the long run.

Offline Pieminister

I think overall it would probably be "cleanest" to just let this run its course, slim the set down, and then run it again at a lower price point.
I am convinced that the price of a set is almost directly related to its mass appeal. Sets like TA and Hyperfuse game in at just around $100.
This is a very attractive set and I think it could also be successful.
I think if people could buy a set as displayed in the render then that would be a great first step. Split all the extra keys away into an addon pack.
There are a lot of neat little keys here and there for supporting niche kits, but at the end of the day we have to make some hard choices for whether it is valuable in keeping them in the main set or not. For example, at the moment when you order the mods set - you end up with 4 enter keys (2 ansi 2 ISO 2 different colours) + 2 more white ones with the base set. There is a lot of duplication across the base and mod sets.
I think the most important mantra in a group buy is 1) have an attractive set, which you do and 2) keep it simple, but have options for those who want it - it is up to them to reach MOQ on the niche daughter packs.
 :thumb:
I apologise for not personally mentioning anything in the IC. I don't tend to follow them to closely and because its run via MD you don't see the price until it is up and running.

Offline geniekid

Maybe we should introduce a poll next time in the IC.

For the record, I thought and still think the full light gray base looks better than light gray alphas with green mods.  It looks more serious while still being interesting with the Irish sublegends.  But then I also prefer Olivetti over Raindrop so maybe I'm just a boring person :(

Offline Limewirelord

So I get that people want 1800 support, but why does it need to come in a base kit?  It makes the set more expensive (and makes it harder for a set to reach MOQ at all), making it less appealing to general users and thus harder for the whole thing to reach MOQ.  I get that this is an enthusiast forum but 1800 boards, Plancks, and other super-niche boards are far outnumbered by full-size, TKL, and varieties of 60% boards.  If an add-on pack for 1800 keys couldn't reach MOQ on its own in a GMK buy, does that mean that the set sucks or does it mean that there are really that few 1800 users?

I personally don't mind subsidizing 1800 keys and users for GMK sets (or the ones I participate in) because I'm able to and like the sets/group buys I participate in but it's an understandably expensive hobby and I don't blame people for not wanting to subsidize an extremely small subset of users.

zzz nvm i didn't check the actual options for the gb before i made this post, ignore me being a dumbass
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2016, 17:17:19 by Limewirelord »

Offline Pieminister

You're doing great work and putting a lot of effort into this so don't be discouraged if this doesn't drop on your first try.

Go do the other two colour ways and come back to this one again later.

If however it does drop now then great!

Offline Limewirelord

You're doing great work and putting a lot of effort into this so don't be discouraged if this doesn't drop on your first try.

Go do the other two colour ways and come back to this one again later.

If however it does drop now then great!

It's a gorgeous colorway.  I really hope it succeeds.

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir
It seems as though the drop has been removed from Massdrop.

Offline zzyjayfree

I would suggest adding N7 space in kit 2 otherwise people going for kit 1 & 2 will need to buy space bar. It just sounds weird.
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline zzyjayfree

Man the green mod + base kit would be an insta-buy for me!!!!

Don't forget to grab extra space bar cause you DON'T HAVE ANY from kit 1&2!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2016, 18:37:18 by zzyjayfree »
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline jaffers

Thoughts on these sets?

Base
Show Image

Green Mods
Show Image

Light Gray Mods
Show Image

Drop the numpad and I'll drop this group buy

Offline monksoffunk

• 25keys
Yanbo says:
This drop will be live again tomorrow 3/24/16 with new prices and kits!

Offline Willyc277

Yanbo says:
This drop will be live again tomorrow 3/24/16 with new prices and kits!

Siiiick!! Will join up immediately! Got a light blue B.87 to throw it on. Might be endgame.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re-Launched with a new breakup, allowing you to pair the base with either mod kits.

Price Comparison:
All light gray - $115 vs $130, but now you have support for all the alternate layouts, no need to spend $28 on the Outcasts kit!
Base with Green mods - $188 vs $143, with support for the alternate layouts, no need to spend $28 on the Outcasts kit!
Full Monty - $225 vs $221, It's cheaper and more logical!

Offline monksoffunk

• 25keys
I'm in :thumb:

Offline WNovizar

Re-Launched with a new breakup, allowing you to pair the base with either mod kits.

Price Comparison:
All light gray - $115 vs $130, but now you have support for all the alternate layouts, no need to spend $28 on the Outcasts kit!
Base with Green mods - $188 vs $143, with support for the alternate layouts, no need to spend $28 on the Outcasts kit!
Full Monty - $225 vs $221, It's cheaper and more logical!

Is the spacebar included in base kit?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
It's what is pictured. Only the Light Gray modifiers has spacebars, if you buy only the green mods, you need to add a pair of spacebars.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Updated OP with new renders from GMK.

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
Again ordered one of everything! Seems Massdrop didn't notify participants of the original drop (yet) about the change.

EDIT: Oh, and the whining has again started in MD comments  :-X
I like keyboards

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
EDIT: Oh, and the whining has again started in MD comments  :-X
That'll always be there. Best to ignore them and only respond to genuine comments.

Offline geniekid

Re-placed my order!  I threw in 2x light modifiers to hopefully help it succeed.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re-placed my order!  I threw in 2x light modifiers to hopefully help it succeed.

Thanks! I'm hopeful that this time we can make the numbers. Fingers crossed.

Offline sambarugh

• Megalixir

Thanks! I'm hopeful that this time we can make the numbers. Fingers crossed.

The amount of work you've put in to make this GB work is amazing - just don't want it to go unappreciated. Thanks man and I've reordered with extra spacebars.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
Am I missing something,  what happpened to 1800 support?

Offline geniekid

It's there in both modifier kits, instead of in a separate pack now.

Offline geniekid

By the way, anyone with the promotional image/link in their signature needs to update the URL to point to the new drop on MD.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder

It's there in both modifier kits, instead of in a separate pack now.

IT IS!!!!!!!  ORDERED EVERYTHING!

Offline Limewirelord

Oof, now it's like $230 for everything instead of $196.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2016, 11:52:16 by Limewirelord »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
It was $225 for everything, now it's $221.

Offline Limewirelord

I wasn't buying the outcast kit or anything, I forgot to mention.  It was $196 with the base kit, the modifier kits, and one of each green spacebar kit.  It's $236 with for the same options except more expensive because of the support for the niche boards.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
[GB] 3FCT - Ep 1: GMK TA Royal Alpha 610 Inspired Set ~~~~Re-launched!~~~~
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 12:07:35 »

I wasn't buying the outcast kit or anything, I forgot to mention.  It was $196 with the base kit, the modifier kits, and one of each green spacebar kit.  It's $236 with for the same options except more expensive because of the support for the niche boards.

It's probably impossible to just straight out make everything cheaper.

Splitting the mods and including the outcast seems to have decreased the price for lots of possible combinations.
Also including the outcast set increases chances for it reaching moq.

That being said I'm kind of in the same boat.
Was on the fence about adding outcast or not but I guess easy choice now, probably good to have the full set anyway xD

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
A very modular GMK buy doesn't work, it's been tried in the past, 2-3 kits really is the limit as far as modularity goes, because the individual MOQ for each kit is 150, or if somehow lowered, 100, not lower than that. Some compromises have to be made. In the case of this buy, I can understand that not many compromises have been done to reduce keycaps, and perhaps we could have left out some keys and gone for a more standard set, but where's the fun in that?

Offline Limewirelord

It's probably impossible to just straight out make everything cheaper.

Splitting the mods and including the outcast seems to have decreased the price for lots of possible combinations.
Also including the outcast set increases chances for it reaching moq.

That being said I'm kind of in the same boat.
Was on the fence about adding outcast or not but I guess easy choice now, probably good to have the full set anyway xD
I mean, the only way to make the group buy any cheaper is to get more people to join it in the first place.  I understand the desire for including support for niche keyboards as they're all gorgeous, but I'm not sure if endangering the entire group buy as a whole is worth it.  If 150 people can't get behind a kit for niche keyboard support, the number of people using that kit must already be very small.  Personally, I'd much rather have a group buy that is ultimately successful as it gets the kit into the hands of more people to show off to everyone instead of having a few vocal proponents push this small subset of keys that drives up the price of the set as a whole and reduce the potential number of people joining a group buy.

Yeah, I know I'm not really any sort of well known part of the greater keyboard community but these are my thoughts having lurked around for the most part in the past few years.