Author Topic: %60 keyboard second layout design review  (Read 1379 times)

Offline mylord

%60 keyboard second layout design review
« on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 15:10:07 »
Hi there. I am trying to design %60 keyboard before I buy satan gh60. My goal is not raising my all fingers from home row while typing. I cannot find any keyboard design for %60 keyboard layout 1 on the internet and decided to design from scratch.

- Layout 0 is designed for character input and I will use a mix of the Dvorak and classical %60 keyboard layout for layout 0.

- Layout 1 is designed for hotkeys, function keys, home cluster keys, arrow keys.

Here is my layout 1:

- Placed ctrl, shift and alt combinations to the upper row symmetrically to touch type hotkeys which include alt,  shift, ctrl, function keys without leaving all fingers from home row.

Ctrl + Shift : Fn6 and Fn7
Ctrl + Alt : Fn4 and Fn5
Ctrl + Alt + Shift : Fn2 and Fn3
Alt + Shift : Fn8 and Fn9

Note: I can press ctrl and shift with my little fingers and press alt with my thumbs. the problem occurs when I need to raise my hand from home row to press >2 keys modifier key combinations for hotkeys.

- Placed arrow keys to the hjkl to touch type without leaving fingers from home row

- Placed home cluster to the home row touch type without leaving fingers from home row

What are the other things that I can do to prevent my fingers from leaving home row?
Any more productive design ideas?

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
Re: %60 keyboard second layout design review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 02:53:02 »
Have you considered SpaceFn: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51069.0

Also, with QMK you can bind Ctrl, Shift and Alt combinations to a key so you won't have to press all of those keys if you wish.

Offline mylord

Re: %60 keyboard second layout design review
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 03:38:08 »
Have you considered SpaceFn: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51069.0

Also, with QMK you can bind Ctrl, Shift and Alt combinations to a key so you won't have to press all of those keys if you wish.
My right pinky sent you many thanks.