Author Topic: [Solved] Help! Can't open iKBC MF108. Security screws?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
[Solved] Help! Can't open iKBC MF108. Security screws?
« on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:13:28 »
Just got a second hand iKBC MF 108 and I'm taking it apart so I can put some box pinks in it. I got 10/11 screws out. I had to use my hex bits but the last screw is different than the others. Pic below. It seems to be in two parts. I can't tell if this is a security screw or if something broke. I have a security screw bit set but none of them seem to fit.  Any tips on how to get this SOB out?

View of the problem screw.

243469-0

This is the screw I pulled out of that hole. The other two are examples of what all the rest looked like.

243471-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:13:20 by ddrfraser1 »

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: [Solved] Help! Can't open iKBC MF108. Security screws?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:13:58 »
Got the little bastard  :thumb:

Offline Lanrefni

Re: Help! Can't open iKBC MF108. Security screws?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:14:11 »
Kinda looks like some one screwed a screw into another screw and managed to round out the hole in the process.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:27:50 »
Kinda looks like some one screwed a screw into another screw and managed to round out the hole in the process.

You are exactly right. Some moron screwed one right on top of another! I couldn't figure out what made it look like that...  >:D :'(

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:31:28 »

You are exactly right. Some moron screwed one right on top of another! I couldn't figure out what made it look like that...  >:D :'(

How is this even possible?

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 21:37:33 »
Man, Today I had a computer case with a plain #2 Philips but completely stripped. My trick is to grab it with a vise grips. You couldn't do that though. As yours was recessed. If you were not aware of all the hoopla, I have a "sample" Korean made custom MF108 V3. It is nothing like the production one. It tips the scales at 36 pounds with very custom switches. Anyways I am getting to, it has lovely heavy brass Torx screws only. As you figured out, that was a mistake not a safety screw. Those are mass produced Chinese junk.  How do they give you something like that for $150? On the other hand the target price of mine was said to be just $680 which is a steal as well I guess. Mine has an all brushed stainless steel case. Maybe IKBC just likes no profit? The screw on screw is one of the odder things I have heard though. How did it hold? They drove it in the same hole? You will have to tap and helicoil that now? Not even worth it IMO. 'Mal you know everything I am speaking of so you need not comment :)

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 15:52:09 »
Did they strip out the bottom portion of that screw by driving it into a screw below it?  That's pretty bizarre.

If worse comes to worse, you can always drill the head off in a situation like this.  I've had to do that several times on cars I've worked on.  The hope is that there's enough of the threaded shaft left to grab with some pliers once the case is apart.  At least stainless Allen head screws like those are pretty cheap.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 16:02:25 »
Did they strip out the bottom portion of that screw by driving it into a screw below it?  That's pretty bizarre.

If worse comes to worse, you can always drill the head off in a situation like this.  I've had to do that several times on cars I've worked on.  The hope is that there's enough of the threaded shaft left to grab with some pliers once the case is apart.  At least stainless Allen head screws like those are pretty cheap.

I have had a bunch of Dell Chromebooks at the middle school level where the heads have literally just snapped right off because of how thin and cheaply-made they are. I too, have had to drill out a few screw heads before, though not on cars.

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 17:43:37 »
That is why I said Helicoil. That is an automotive item. It makes new threads in metal without retapping once you get it out lickity split. Unless you just use a self tapping stinger screw but I vastly prefer the former with a proper machine screw. Being such a cheap board it does not matter much I guess. It is not surprising at all it got hit with two screws. Built by robots. This happens to all kinds of things more often than you would think. The robot screw gun station misfires too quickly in succession. At least this is right out in the open and not a royal R&R job. Like losing a tiny screw down the carb barrel into the intake all the way into the head! Trust me, I have done that trick oops. Now I would remove the entire carb and not risk that anymore. Well I guess this might be one reason to buy a keyboard kit, no? I have actually probably drilled out tens of screw heads in my time. There is a bit just for that. Right bit makes the job easy and not mess up the item. Look for it at Menards. It is cheap. Helicoil is not cheap so probably not worth it here.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 21:12:17 »
That is why I said Helicoil. That is an automotive item. It makes new threads in metal without retapping once you get it out lickity split. Unless you just use a self tapping stinger screw but I vastly prefer the former with a proper machine screw. Being such a cheap board it does not matter much I guess. It is not surprising at all it got hit with two screws. Built by robots. This happens to all kinds of things more often than you would think. The robot screw gun station misfires too quickly in succession. At least this is right out in the open and not a royal R&R job. Like losing a tiny screw down the carb barrel into the intake all the way into the head! Trust me, I have done that trick oops. Now I would remove the entire carb and not risk that anymore. Well I guess this might be one reason to buy a keyboard kit, no? I have actually probably drilled out tens of screw heads in my time. There is a bit just for that. Right bit makes the job easy and not mess up the item. Look for it at Menards. It is cheap. Helicoil is not cheap so probably not worth it here.

That's all very interesting. I hadn't thought about automation, that makes it make more sense. I seriously imagined the previous owner, since this was apparently used, somehow screwing a screw straight into the head of another screw, which must not be humanly possible. I'll have to look into those helicoils. They look interesting.

I don't think that Menards reaches out even into the entirety of the midwest, although I do hear it is spreading from people I know online that are a few states away. We're kind of spoiled in that we've got both Fleet Farm and Menards.

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 23:34:27 »
You should certainly have a Menards. Menards is a Wisconsin based company. I live in the middle of nowhere but I usually make it to the one in Stevens point or Green Bay. I thought you said you are not far from West Allis? So there are like 10 right by you then. I love Blaines too. Great deals on house brands at both places. Way less money than Home Depot and much higher quality than Harbor Freight in Racine. Do you know Milwaukee PC? they have 17 locations. They are not cheap but I know a manager. I still preferred the Asus because he will not bargain on the warranty and it is $200. What you can do is get all your parts at newegg and they will put it together for $75. They really despise that though. Helicoil is not cheap but on hi performance cars it is a must. I am too sick to race now but I had streetable cars that ran 7's.  I know all this is off topic but he solved the issue anyways. Yeah, it had to be assembly line. I see it all the time. Those pneumatic drivers split it right in two. A high end board like my MF108 has hardened stainless screws obviously done by hand. They were actually a bit loose on mine. Plus mine have torx heads. Speaking of Menards, drive by John Menard's home. He is one rich dude. Makes the Brewer and Packer guys look poor.