Author Topic: "Affordable" WKL TKL w/Aluminum Case?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
"Affordable" WKL TKL w/Aluminum Case?
« on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 16:53:49 »
Whats up geekhack, I've been gone for years but got the itch again for a new board, so here is my inquiry for those that keep up with this hobby.

So my dream keyboard has always been a TKL that is WKL with an aluminum case. I just like the look of the larger mods with the gaps in between.

Is there a source for a keyboard like this that isn't super expensive, needs to be fully assembled.

$250 range?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: "Affordable" WKL TKL w/Aluminum Case?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:32:21 »
You are entering sort of a black hole of keyboard pricing.
Too much for a high end, too low for a full custom with aluminum case.
Anything in the too low for a full custom is going to appeal to a wide audience, and that means "Windows compatible" stickers and claims and that means a Windows key. I;m not saying what you are after doesn't exist, but it's not going to be common by any means. Not as common also means finding keycaps will be more of a challenge.

That said, I get the look thing, but learn to use keyboard shortcuts and you might regret not having that modifier.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:51:08 »
You are entering sort of a black hole of keyboard pricing.
Too much for a high end, too low for a full custom with aluminum case.
Anything in the too low for a full custom is going to appeal to a wide audience, and that means "Windows compatible" stickers and claims and that means a Windows key. I;m not saying what you are after doesn't exist, but it's not going to be common by any means. Not as common also means finding keycaps will be more of a challenge.

That said, I get the look thing, but learn to use keyboard shortcuts and you might regret not having that modifier.

How about non WKL options?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:53:39 »
KBD 8x is the cheapest option

less that, you can always buy a filco and put an alu case on it
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 18:14:42 »
KBD 8x is the cheapest option

less that, you can always buy a filco and put an alu case on it

Didn't think about Filco option, thanks.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 20:16:20 »
I will second the Filco, it can be easily customized and parts are easy to get.

Regarding the case, I would aim for the Tex case.
The Oni or Tex comes with feet and a cable and a similar mounting system to the Vortex (this case is probably made by the same manufacturer as the Vortex).
The Vortex usually comes minus feet or a cable, but is not bad overall if you can get feet for it, which are not hard to find.

I would not buy the newest case being sold out of China, it goes under a few names however it's easily identified by the removable bottom plate and removable cable. While it's cheaper, looks nice and has a removable cable included, the method of mounting the plate is inferior to the others. The Vortex and Tex clamps the entire length of the plate between the upper and lower case halves, making for a SUPER stiff plate. The new Chinese model bolts the plate to the top half using screw heads, it works, but is nowhere near as solid.

Keep in mind, all of these require a stock Filco plate or some adapters to make a universal plate work, but it can be done. Mine has a universal plate as do a few other people on here.
There are also some Chinese customs that will fit your price range (Ali Express), beware, support can be a hassle due to language and ship times.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 11:45:27 »
I will second the Filco, it can be easily customized and parts are easy to get.

Regarding the case, I would aim for the Tex case.
The Oni or Tex comes with feet and a cable and a similar mounting system to the Vortex (this case is probably made by the same manufacturer as the Vortex).
The Vortex usually comes minus feet or a cable, but is not bad overall if you can get feet for it, which are not hard to find.

I would not buy the newest case being sold out of China, it goes under a few names however it's easily identified by the removable bottom plate and removable cable. While it's cheaper, looks nice and has a removable cable included, the method of mounting the plate is inferior to the others. The Vortex and Tex clamps the entire length of the plate between the upper and lower case halves, making for a SUPER stiff plate. The new Chinese model bolts the plate to the top half using screw heads, it works, but is nowhere near as solid.

Keep in mind, all of these require a stock Filco plate or some adapters to make a universal plate work, but it can be done. Mine has a universal plate as do a few other people on here.
There are also some Chinese customs that will fit your price range (Ali Express), beware, support can be a hassle due to language and ship times.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Offline iNViSiBiLiTi

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 December 2018, 15:01:27 »
You could try to pick up a damaged Mech27 V1.  I see those go for sub $300 occassionally. 
60%: Prophet, GSKT-00 x2, Poly GSKT-00-Z, Weaven, Sangeo60, Unikorn R2.1, Ciel60

TKL: TGR Jane V2, Jane V2 CE, KFE, Noxary 280 S, Acrylic Unicorn, Igris V1, LZ-GHv2

Bulgogi Board (VA104M), Belle En Rose