Author Topic: [IC] UMBRA : 60% by IV Works  (Read 10046 times)

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
[IC] UMBRA : 60% by IV Works
« on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 11:19:56 »
U M B R A

State of total eclipse.

A study of shadow and its effects on the human experience.

Please provide feedback and sign up for release updates via this FORM.

Index

I Prototype
II Renders
III Lookbook
IV Specs
V Design
VI Status
VII Notes

I Prototype

PCB PROTOTYPE

More

II Renders

More

III Lookbook

For best viewing please see this PDF.

More

IV Specs

CHASSIS

- Layout: 60 WK / WKL
- Angle: 8°
- Front height: 18mm / EKH 22.25mm
- Top: Aluminum A6063
- Bottom: Aluminum A6063 / Polycarbonate
- Weight: Stainless steel
- Mass: 1350g / 3lbs (Not built)

MOUNT

- Mount: Tadpole / Gummy / Top
- Plate: 1.5mm / Leaf-spring
- Material: Aluminum A5052 / Polycarbonate / CFRP

PCB

- Material: 1.6mm FR4
- Type: Hot swap / No flex cuts
- Connection: Type-C Fly DB
- Lighting: LED array underglow
- Spacebars: 7u / 3u 1u 3u
- Options: Stepped caps / split right shift / split backspace / rotary
- Software: QMK / VIA

V Design

FEATURES

- Eclipse lip lowers front height even more and adds comfort for thumbs.
- Seamless side with minimal thickness bezels. Deep edge chamfer enhances the appearance without being too thin and affecting sound.
- Multi-directional alignment sections for easy assembly.
- Magnetic, swappable emblems are enamel filled and hand-finished.
- Built in TAP authentication microchip. Ownership can be registered and transferred.

PERFORMANCE

- Integrated 8 point silicone force-break to prevent unwanted resonance.
- Maximized internal mass while maintaining plate flex and low front height. Provides sound diffusion helping isolate second reflections.
- Optimized plate mounts for unformal flex at home row. No mounts under the spacebar for best typing feel.
- Distance between the bottom of switches to case is equal across the board.
- Sound travels uninterrupted between PCB and bottom aluminum case. No weights, daughter board, foam, or screws are exposed to the bottom of PCB. Producing a uniform and bright sound-signature. JST cable is routed from the back of the chassis.

ASSEMBLY

- Convenient mountable magnetic weight. Can be removed while fully assembled with the included KEY tool.
- Cable Shield allows the use of a longer JST cable to make install easier and prevents wire damage. Cut from polycarbonate so you can see if the cable is pinched.
- Most popular 60% stabilizers can be removed without removing all switches. (Left shift, spacebar, enter)
- Pressure fitted feet that do not need to be removed for disassembly.
- Tadpoles and gummy o-ring can be customized to different harnesses.
- T10 Magnetic hardware for the entire build, can be built with the single included Torx bit.

VI Status

First proto is finished and currently being tested. For most update-to-date info please see Discord.

Release type, quantity, and colorways are still in development. Be sure to join discord to cast your vote on the remaining details.

Target price is $399.

VII Notes

Thank you to all that participated in the weekly vote to make this project the best it can be.

IV WORKS   TEMET NOSCE   MMXXIV
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2024, 11:39:16 by IV »

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
Re: [IC] UMBRA : 60% by IV Works
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 11:23:35 »
Updates

4/16/24
- Added renders of proto colorway.
- Proto has been cut.
- PCB sample has arrived.
- Firmware in development.

4/23/24
- PCB prototype images added.
- Prototype is complete and en route.
- Firmware has been confirmed.
- PCB edits are complete and new proto will be ordered.

4/30/24

Umbra Prototype v1 has arrived and preliminary testing has started.

Right off the bat, this is the best proto I have ever received. There are very few edits to be made and all of them are just tightening up tolerance, meaning the accuracy is even better than I hoped for. I am beyond happy with the design decisions. We are in a really good spot. Fully assembled the board weighs in at 3.15 lbs or 1429 g.

ANODIZING:
The meteor grey is exactly what I was hoping for, it feels very space mineral rock-like. While I am happy with the ano, I think we can work on the texture. I spec’ed a custom blasting process for this project in order to achieve a unique texture. While this new blasting medium was used, I believe the pressure in the gun was not correct. Further testing will be done. We are also working on hanging methods to make the ano as flawless as possible. The proto was rack hung with spreaders. This will make small imperfections where the spreader makes contact with the part. We have placed the spreads in a spot that is unseen while using the board, of course, but also hard to see when building it.

PLATE:
Perfect fit and the ano is money.

WEIGHT:
The weight has a custom spec glass-blasting and I love it. The finish is scratch-resistant when compared to traditional sandblasting. The surface has a tighter texture with a semi-matte appearance and since it is stainless steel, it's very easy to clean.

Weight tolerances have been decreased as the fitment of all the parts is very accurate. I originally increased the gap between the bottom chassis and weight based on the 3D prints, but now having the parts in metal we can make the fitment even nicer. Installing the weight has a very satisfying sound and feel.

KEY:
The weight removal key works perfectly. The file for this 3D printed part will also be available to future proof the board.

ISOLATORS:
This system is working just as I hoped. This force-break method removes the contact from the top and bottom of the chassis. This result is a deeper, tighter sounding board. I am currently testing different designs to make this the best it can be. We are for sure heading in the right direction. Also you can use the board without the isolators for more traditional sound.

MOUNTS:
Running simulations on the plate to determine optimal mounting locations was a great move. I am very happy with the mounting locations and shape. I plan to test this further with different switches to see if any small improvements can be made.

Top Mount - It's great! Responsive, solid, and has a machine gun spacebar.

Gummy Mount - Testing was done with a few custom sized 60a o-rings. I believe I have found the best size that will work for both full and split backspace, though more testing is needed. This  has a deeper, more even sound, with a slight mute. The 2 piece chassis construction makes installation a breeze. I do see where an additional cut can be made on the lower chassis for a better fit around the spacebar stabilizers.

This has more flex than top mount, of course. Here is another case where many rounds of 3D prints made the design the best it could be. The plate has a pleasant, even flex without bottoming out. This flex was especially hard to engineer with the low front height of the board and wanting to maximize the surface area of the lower chassis.

Tadpole Mount - The one issue with the proto is that the mounting holes for the tadpoles were fully threaded, so I am not able to install the tadpoles without modification. I have already talked to the factory about the issue. They apologized and thought that I had made a mistake in the drawings. This is an easy fix. Testing of the tadpole mounting on the board will occur during the v2 prototype.

CABLE SHIELD:
Size has been revised for better fitment with new blasted finish.

MAGNETS:
Magnet recesses have been revised to fit final magnets perfectly.

EMBLEM:
Emblem recess has been revised for better fit. Currently finalizing design for mold production.

PCB:
PCB and daughter board fit is perfect. Zero edits to be made. Also I believe all cables will fit without a problem. My favorite part of the daughterboard design is how low to the table the USB port sits, and how the Rune logo on the back is a great alignment tool for the USB.

TAP:
The custom chip I ordered works great but the phone has a hard time scanning when installed on the board. I did a good amount of testing on this while designing it, but a mixture of the interference  from the metal surrounding it as well as the depth within the case leads to the scanning not working as desired. Currently working on a solution.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I am working hard now to get all the little details correct before ordering another proto. I will get more images, sound tests, and a build stream going as well!

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2024, 11:44:25 by IV »

Offline itsazly

• website place
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 11:27:49 »
I see. I like.

Would you like my card info now?

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 11:28:31 »
Not a fan of the front lip thing, but everything else looks really cool.

Can we get some actual images of the board thought, without the book thing? ;D

Offline POMChamp

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 12:06:42 »
Looking forward to proto shots.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 13:09:57 »
The lookbook is clean. Are you planning to circulate a printed copy with the board?

Looking forward to seeing the protos
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline StefanVoda

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 14:19:30 »
This presentation is a red flag. GL to the buyers.
ai03xkevinplus POLARIS | WG Vint MX Black/Gateron Yellow KS-3X47

Offline Keeaboo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 14:23:00 »

IV Works has run many successful group buys with almost guaranteed weekly updates on the state of manufacturing and shipping. What's the red flag?

Offline StefanVoda

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 14:27:00 »
The presentation + talking about sound design without an actual proto in hand. 3/5 points in the "performance" presentation are about sound, resonance, etc.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 15:57:27 »
The presentation + talking about sound design without an actual proto in hand. 3/5 points in the "performance" presentation are about sound, resonance, etc.

And that's why 3 of the first 4 comments are "this is interesting, now let's see the real thing". Also they've prototyped and are happy with the results. No reason to bash this soon
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline xhxzzh

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 17:48:58 »
Love the design, pls consider adding HHKB layout.

Offline Alvi

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 18:27:32 »
After owning an AV4 and enjoying it immensely, this is an interesting project that I have been following via the discord. Would be interested in hearing what it sounds like!

Offline POMChamp

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 20:28:40 »

"Several rounds of 3D prints have concluded."

Offline Syncopathy.

• IV-WORKS SHILL.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 00:11:49 »

This brand is a red flag for your wallet. GL to mine.

« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2024, 00:35:34 by Syncopathy. »

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 02:18:31 »
GLWIC

Definitely something I'll be looking forward to seeing some build vids of leading up to the GB

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline StefanVoda

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 02:49:27 »

"Several rounds of 3D prints have concluded."

And that's why 3 of the first 4 comments are "this is interesting, now let's see the real thing". Also they've prototyped and are happy with the results. No reason to bash this soon

So, I guess 3D printed plastics have the same acoustic properties as alu.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2024, 02:51:12 by StefanVoda »

Offline marshmellohs

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 08:27:24 »
Looks interesting. Will echo that it would be nice to see the renders/photos outside of the photobook.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 13:54:29 »
i can't read what do the pictures say

Offline datAintFalc0

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 13:26:49 »
OH WE'RE SO BACK. so sick as always, joe!

Offline spacegrey

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 22:13:25 »
ok that's nice and all but can we actually see the "design student artbook" renders in non-book pictures please, i have hypermetropy and this does a good job in making my eyes hurt

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 05:12:21 »
can we have actual renders in which we see the board in full please

Offline kollusions

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 15:47:48 »
would love a solder and plateless option! looks sick

Offline Nuap

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 00:42:24 »
Please consider HHKB top

Offline POMChamp

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 14:45:11 »
Thanks for the renders! This is looking gooooood

Offline Keeaboo

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 14:49:40 »
Waiting to see all the color options.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2024, 14:55:39 by Keeaboo »

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 14:50:22 »
Thank you for taking the time to comment, complete the IC, and/or join Discord. Has been a happy week finally getting to share this and talking with new people. I will do my best to implement the feedback you provided. I am also committed to the weekly updates as I do with all my projects.

The top request was more renders. Please see the updated first post for new looks of the Nox colorway. Also the proto PCB has arrived and I am very happy with the quality. Working now on finalizing the art and developing the firmware.

Offline NixieType

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 21:31:57 »
This design is great. I think my only complaint is the lack of HHKB to help highlight the front lip (worked well on derivative). Aside from this, will we get WK renders soon?

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 April 2024, 05:52:14 »
watching this.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 April 2024, 12:26:19 »
I think my only complaint is the lack of HHKB to help highlight the front lip (worked well on derivative).

HHKB doesn't only highlight the lip, it also allows the surface treatment to shine - especially along with a set of well-matching keycaps :-)
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 20 April 2024, 09:12:55 »

Show Image

damn. it looks so good.

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 April 2024, 12:36:03 »
Update day!

I wanted to thank everyone again for their great feedback on the IC form. I have read over all the submission and starting to implement suggestions.

Last week I received the PCB prototype and have been putting it through its paces. I am pleased to share a first look at the PCB in the SPECS section of the first post!

Offline POCO Estudio

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 April 2024, 12:55:42 »
pcb is so cool

Offline bombay.duck

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 April 2024, 15:01:51 »
The 2x 3u bottom row is not easy to kit with existing sets unless one has purchased spacebar kits. And even then, a lot of spacebar kits don't provide 3u support.

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 April 2024, 15:41:36 »
The 2x 3u bottom row is not easy to kit with existing sets unless one has purchased spacebar kits. And even then, a lot of spacebar kits don't provide 3u support.

What do you recommend?

Offline Zouabee

• i sniff
    • Zouabee.com
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 April 2024, 17:24:57 »
Love the lookbook! looks neat

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 24 April 2024, 02:19:58 »
What do you recommend?

I suggest you keep 3+1+3. Type K has 2x3u, and other recent boards like AKB Vero R2 (6/3+3) and goks Lily (3+1+3) have it as well. There are probably others.

3u is coming into vogue right now, and I like it. It looks so much better.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline stomaha

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 April 2024, 05:55:02 »
Absolutely keep 3:1:3

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 08:40:02 »
3-1-3 might look nice but it's basically unusable with 99% of the basekits in existence

Offline POMChamp

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 11:51:02 »
Holy crap that's a huge update. Also are you sure your proto shots aren't renders?? I can't tell what's real anymore

Offline IV

• TEMET NOSCE
    • IV WORKS
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 11:56:04 »
After a long journey of modelling, 3D printing, and endless design iterations, it is incredibly gratifying to have the first prototype of Umbra in hand. Please look above at the first photos of the board and let me know what you think!