Author Topic: [IC] GMK Fate (nvm, hit a bad end)  (Read 13505 times)

Offline a_ak57

[IC] GMK Fate (nvm, hit a bad end)
« on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 04:54:34 »
ICs die when they are killed.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94868.msg2588266#msg2588266

More
I've been messing around with various colors in KLE for a while and decided to actually put some time into a themed set.  Inspiration is Saber from the Fate series, who if you're not familiar is this.  I'm actually not a diehard Saber fan tbh but I liked the idea of blue, grey and yellow for a set, so I ended up coming up with this:

Colors chosen are actually all from the SP stable since GMK's stock colors don't match what I want to go for:

And here's a render from KBrenders, which does seem a bit light for the grey but I think gives a good feel for the combo:

I've ordered some color samples from SP to try and nail down the blue and grey (I'm pretty content with the yellow, don't want anything too strong), and may get some Pantones if the SP colors don't work out (I could then match to the cape or clothing too).  I've also asked GMK for some samples because maybe I'll be surprised.  As far as novelties go, I whipped up some basic pictures of ideas based on feedback from reddit; seems command seals are a popular idea so I threw together rough drafts of the saber, gudao and gudako seals:

Unfortunately the Saber seal looks to be an issue since it's so much taller than it is wide so I don't think I can get it to work.  Also working on an Excalibur enter key, but I doubt I can retain the detail at such a small scale so again I may have to turn it into a simplified thick outline.

Next thing I'll try will be the grail, but I also need to become proficient with Illustrator so novelties will be on-going for a while.  Though I'm giving serious consideration to just outsourcing the novelties since not only would the end product be better it'd save me a lot of time.

To-do List:
- Get feedback on kit offerings and finalize them
- Finalize the set of colors
- Decide whether to minimize novelties and put them in base kit, or create a novelty kit add-on
- Actually create usable novelties/hire someone to do them
- Decide on running it myself or using a vendor (doing it myself would mean cheaper prices, but a GB run by a random could be an issue with MOQ)

Anyway, have at it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 April 2018, 14:01:56 by a_ak57 »

Offline Vulcan

Re: [IC] GMK Fate
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 05:00:36 »
I like the light grey better than the darker grey.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 05:06:59 »
Yes. Sign me up for a set.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 05:32:14 »
it is clever the way the tool on the pmk site doesn't include the gmk standards...but if you go to the kle site you can get the gmk pallet on the drop down...their colors are much more rich...however i am extremely interested in the dss profile making a come back...if any one has an opinion on it or some comparison pics i would love to get the run down

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/

Offline Sissy

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 06:03:12 »
Nice color set, dont care about fatecrap but I am fully for more weeb**** themed keysets.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 07:27:35 »
so olivetti but with blue and gold mods. Seems pretty bland to be, but whatever floats your boat, i guess

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 08:54:00 »
it is clever the way the tool on the pmk site doesn't include the gmk standards...but if you go to the kle site you can get the gmk pallet on the drop down...their colors are much more rich...however i am extremely interested in the dss profile making a come back...if any one has an opinion on it or some comparison pics i would love to get the run down

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/

Oh right, I forgot to mention that I am aware of GMK's standard colors but they're rather limited in selection and the colors they have don't match what I want (too vibrant for the blue/yellow and too light or beige for the grey).

so olivetti but with blue and gold mods. Seems pretty bland to be, but whatever floats your boat, i guess

I didn't mention it outright but Olivetti is one of the things I was referencing when I made the note about how I don't want the alphas to look white.  Grey vs white isn't a huge difference of course, but I think combined with the mods it'd be enough to feel different as a whole.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 09:28:06 »
im in 100%

saber <3
I love Elzy

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 10:25:35 »
I'm interested!

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 10:55:23 »
If this goes GMK, could we please not have the sublegends on the numpad numerals? It looks cleaner without them.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:01:30 »
Whipped up some basic pictures of novelty ideas based on feedback from reddit; seems command seals are a popular idea so I threw together rough drafts of the saber, gudao and gudako seals:

Also made a very rough excalibur, but I have a feeling it won't really translate well to enter key size, so I might have to axe the details even though it wouldn't look as nice:

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:04:41 »
Whipped up some basic pictures of novelty ideas based on feedback from reddit; seems command seals are a popular idea so I threw together rough drafts of the saber, gudao and gudako seals:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Also made a very rough excalibur, but I have a feeling it won't really translate well to enter key size, so I might have to axe the details even though it wouldn't look as nice:

Show Image

Thats pretty nice! Good job man

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline truong3016

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 20:33:20 »
remind me of RX78-2

Offline Geek Maker

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 21:20:34 »
If this goes GMK, could we please not have the sublegends on the numpad numerals? It looks cleaner without them.

agree.
prefer to YYC card

Offline megaforce

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 22:07:47 »
clarent blood arthur > excalibur
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 27 March 2018, 23:12:12 »
clarent blood arthur > excalibur

oh no you've attracted megaforce
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Skynet_0

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 01:21:42 »
Looks great so far, am *heavily* interested

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 07:49:58 »
Hope this goes well, so we can have get GMK Archer someday  :))

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 20:52:36 »
cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 21:03:41 »
I like it, it's somewhat Godspeedy

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 22:21:03 »
Threw together a preliminary base kit, nothing too fancy.

Still having trouble with the Excalibur novelty; as I suspected when scaled down it's really hard to retain the details of the sword, so I may have to just go with a basic outline or just scrap it.  The Saber seal also looks to be a challenge since it's far taller than it is wide.  At least the Gudao/Gudako seals should be fine, so I might use either/both and come up with something else.  Of course, I still have to figure out if I'm only going to have a couple novelty keys and put them in the base kit or actually make a novelty kit.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 23:18:25 »
Threw together a preliminary base kit, nothing too fancy.

Show Image

Still having trouble with the Excalibur novelty; as I suspected when scaled down it's really hard to retain the details of the sword, so I may have to just go with a basic outline or just scrap it.  The Saber seal also looks to be a challenge since it's far taller than it is wide.  At least the Gudao/Gudako seals should be fine, so I might use either/both and come up with something else.  Of course, I still have to figure out if I'm only going to have a couple novelty keys and put them in the base kit or actually make a novelty kit.
Would like to see r1 1u backspace

Offline TonyD

• dtronixs
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 05:05:37 »
looks great

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 13:24:55 »
Would like to see r1 1u backspace

I'll put that in the list of possibilities, will have a better answer once I hear back from GMK and get a feel for how the pricing will shape up.

Also as far as a spacebar kit goes, would anyone actually want yellow accent bars or perhaps blue?  Or should I just make a kit of grey keys that covers whatever weird spacebar layouts the kids are into these days?
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2018, 13:28:35 by a_ak57 »

Offline skizosavior

Re: [IC] GMK Fate (Updated with initial base kit)
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 16:54:15 »
Going to re-iterate what was said earlier, no sublegends on the numpad would make it look much cleaner. Definitely like the color combo and novelties  :thumb:

Offline Solotov

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 02:03:37 »
Interested. Would love to see the renders of novelties too  :thumb:
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 11:37:00 »
lol, I was working on a keyset called GMK Merlin which pretty much looked just like this. Except my alphas were white. haha. There goes my great idea.

« Last Edit: Fri, 30 March 2018, 12:34:42 by merlin64 »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 13:35:57 »
Got my SP samples in today; ordered YCC, GTL, BO and BDH (though GTL is actually just a DSA keycap since they didn't have the actual chip for it in stock).  Initial impressions: YCC is accurate to the SP picture and kbrender and I really like it.  GTL is pretty accurate to the SP picture too, but it is definitely darker than the kbrender (I don't own Granite but I do have XDA Milestone which is based off it, and it's darker than the alphas/lighter than the mods).  BO is very different from both the SP picture and kbrender (kinda looks like BGA in their picture actually?), but I kind of expected that since it's the darker blue of Dasher which seems to vary in looks drastically depending on lighting, which is why I also ordered BDH. 

BDH is a bit more light/vibrant than what I originally envisioned but it looks to be a closer match to the kbrender.  I also remembered I have an SP grab bag from last year and was rooting around through it and I found a grey that seems to be a good match to the kbrender but unfortunately I have no idea what it is (might be GSL or GTR), so I've ordered a few grey samples which I really ought to have done in the first place.  And based on seeing BDH in person I think BFK might be the best match to the render so I've ordered that too. 

Here are some pics I took, it's incredibly difficult to get something accurate so I took a couple pics under different lighting (indoor and outdoor):

I have to say, I have a much greater appreciation for sets where conveying colors has been an issue since these bloody pictures still don't even match what the chips look like sitting on my desk right now, and the pics look different when I swap back and forth between my two different model monitors. 

I've also asked GMK for some color samples which I should have done before anyway; V4 seems to be similar to BDH so I might actually be fine with it, and I might be okay with 2M or even GR1 if they don't look too white in normal lighting, but I need to see GE1 in person since I'm pretty adamant about having a pale yellow.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2018, 14:19:11 by a_ak57 »

Offline p_blaze

Re: [IC] GMK Fate (latest update - color samples)
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 19:52:56 »
Do you plan on running this in pbt dyesub at some point?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 21:12:18 »
He'd have issues with the dye sub on the modifiers unless he did some reverse dye-sub

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 21:34:20 »
He'd have issues with the dye sub on the modifiers unless he did some reverse dye-sub
true, didn't think about that
honestly I like a lot of sets but abs is a dealbreaker for me, I just can't stand the texture of worn down abs. I hope more sets start coming in reverse pbt dyesub

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [IC] GMK Fate (nvm, hit a bad end)
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 22:28:12 »
the **** man
I love Elzy

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 22:29:39 »
Wait, what happened? :'(

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 05:47:52 »
wheres my weeb keys  :(

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:27:53 »
Sorry to those who were interested, but after sitting back and looking at the project from an objective lens I realized there realistically wasn't any chance this would be produced so I decided not to fall into the sunk cost fallacy.  A number of reasons added up to that really; for one I put this out too early, before I really had anything settled in terms of design and are first impressions are big; it's difficult to get too interested in something when the OP doesn't even have the something as simple as the colors or profile settled on, much less want to follow its progress.

Another is that custom color GMK GBs have become exponentially more difficult to run successfully over the past year and if you aren't on massdrop you either need a great idea or great pricing to hit that 250 MOQ.  I've been around enough to know that based on responses here/on reddit this wasn't the former; the thematic element only appealed to weebs for one, and as for mainstream appeal when you've read hundreds of IC threads it's just kind of apparent when someone had stumbled upon a colorway that people are legitimately interested in.  For the pricing aspect I thought about running it myself as a non-profit GB, but I realized you can really only get away with a non-vendor GB these days if you're a mainstay of the community. 

Not trying to be melodramatic about all this, it's just what I had to sit down and think about before I decided to keep putting time and money into this (most immediately commissioning a novelty designer and a renderer).  Though as a last update the other color samples arrived in the mail yesterday and GSL/BFK look good (pretty sure GSL is that unknown grey SA keycap).
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 April 2018, 09:33:42 by a_ak57 »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 10:45:43 »
Sorry to those who were interested, but after sitting back and looking at the project from an objective lens I realized there realistically wasn't any chance this would be produced so I decided not to fall into the sunk cost fallacy.  A number of reasons added up to that really; for one I put this out too early, before I really had anything settled in terms of design and are first impressions are big; it's difficult to get too interested in something when the OP doesn't even have the something as simple as the colors or profile settled on, much less want to follow its progress.

Another is that custom color GMK GBs have become exponentially more difficult to run successfully over the past year and if you aren't on massdrop you either need a great idea or great pricing to hit that 250 MOQ.  I've been around enough to know that based on responses here/on reddit this wasn't the former; the thematic element only appealed to weebs for one, and as for mainstream appeal when you've read hundreds of IC threads it's just kind of apparent when someone had stumbled upon a colorway that people are legitimately interested in.  For the pricing aspect I thought about running it myself as a non-profit GB, but I realized you can really only get away with a non-vendor GB these days if you're a mainstay of the community. 

Not trying to be melodramatic about all this, it's just what I had to sit down and think about before I decided to keep putting time and money into this (most immediately commissioning a novelty designer and a renderer).  Though as a last update the other color samples arrived in the mail yesterday and GSL/BFK look good (pretty sure GSL is that unknown grey SA keycap).

This is a great drop of insight to see from you, OP. I agree when you say that the set already caters to somewhat of a much smaller subset of the whole community, and that hype driven around sets can be very misleading. There have been several IC'd sets, that I think have had either fantastic or questionable color schemes/designs, but they have either succeeded or fallen through given marketing, timing, vendor and name affiliations (a crucial determinant, in my opinion), among other important factors.

I am happy to support a well-thought out set that aims to meet MOQ after all the ducks have been lined up properly. Godspeed.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk