Author Topic: APT tactile & clicky Hall effect keyboards review  (Read 15885 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
APT tactile & clicky Hall effect keyboards review
« on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 07:23:27 »
A pair of really cool keyboards this week, the new clicky and tactile Hall effect boards from Ace Pad Tech! Hope you enjoy the video :) .

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Kevadu

Re: APT tactile & clicky Hall effect keyboards review
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 10:59:02 »
Damn I want one of these (the clicky version).  But am I the only one who finds Acepad's website to be incredibly confusing?  It's just a random mish-mash of every model they have--incuding older ones--with generic unhelpful descriptions.  I can never find what I want...

I know you included a direct link in the video description but it appears to be for the full-sized version and not all of us share your numpad fetish ;)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 12:32:07 »
Damn I want one of these (the clicky version).  But am I the only one who finds Acepad's website to be incredibly confusing?  It's just a random mish-mash of every model they have--incuding older ones--with generic unhelpful descriptions.  I can never find what I want...

I know you included a direct link in the video description but it appears to be for the full-sized version and not all of us share your numpad fetish ;)
I can't make heads or tails of that website either xD .

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 April 2018, 23:26:06 »
Whats worse? Unicomps site or AcePads?

Anyway I like the sound of the clicky one. It's a bit more subdued sounding than Kailhs Clickbars. I hope they improve the tactile version, though.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 00:25:11 »
Whats worse? Unicomps site or AcePads?

Ace Pad's, easily.

Unicomp's site may be extremely barebones but at least you know what you're looking at.  The Ace Pad site on the other hand...for instance let's say that I want to buy the clicky version of their keyboard.  How do I even know if the keyboard I'm looking at is the clicky version?  I can't find that kind of information anywhere in the description.  They do have a ton of pics, which is nice, but they're not the kind of close up pics that would actually give you that kind of info either.  They had quite a few variants listed but there isn't any sort of organization to them and for some of them I don't even know what the difference is.

I had actually tried to use their site in the past too and eventually gave up.  Chyros' review just reminded me that I would like to try one of these out sometime.  But here I am, a willing customer trying to give them money and I'm thwarted by their awful website...

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 08:50:30 »
For anyone looking to buy one but having difficulty buying through their awful website, contact macy@ace-pad-tech.com; she will handle it for you.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 20:45:17 »
Thank you for that email address chyros.  I successfully received my keyboard today!  Decided to go for the clicky bamboo TKL version.

Got to say that my first impression wasn't the best.  The case was actually a bit loose and there was a visible gap before the bottom layer of the sandwich build, but that was solved just by tightening the screws a bit.  More concerning was the fact that when I first plugged it in...nothing happened.  My PC didn't see it at all.  Eventually I wiggled the USB connector a bit and it came to life, but that's pretty concerning on a brand new keyboard.  Especially one like this that's not exactly cheap.

Once it actually started working things got better.  A little bit at least.  Honestly I'm not crazy about the clicky version of these switches.  They key feel is light and sharp but also kind of rough and inconsistent.  I just got the keyboard so I need to give it some more time but for now I'm seriously starting to wonder how easy it would be to remove to the clickers and turn this back into a linear keyboard...

On the plus side mine doesn't have that ugly logo on it at all.  So maybe they listened there.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 00:28:52 »
The Clicky switches sound really "crunchy"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 May 2018, 01:07:59 »
Thank you for that email address chyros.  I successfully received my keyboard today!  Decided to go for the clicky bamboo TKL version.

Got to say that my first impression wasn't the best.  The case was actually a bit loose and there was a visible gap before the bottom layer of the sandwich build, but that was solved just by tightening the screws a bit.  More concerning was the fact that when I first plugged it in...nothing happened.  My PC didn't see it at all.  Eventually I wiggled the USB connector a bit and it came to life, but that's pretty concerning on a brand new keyboard.  Especially one like this that's not exactly cheap.

Once it actually started working things got better.  A little bit at least.  Honestly I'm not crazy about the clicky version of these switches.  They key feel is light and sharp but also kind of rough and inconsistent.  I just got the keyboard so I need to give it some more time but for now I'm seriously starting to wonder how easy it would be to remove to the clickers and turn this back into a linear keyboard...

On the plus side mine doesn't have that ugly logo on it at all.  So maybe they listened there.
Oh dear! That doesn't sound good at all. The clicks are a bit inconsistent on mine as well, it's probably the biggest issue they're facing with these, it has to do with the production process, but mine really doesn't feel rough tbh. Removing the clickers is a doddle, though.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 12:54:21 »
I feel the need to update my initial impressions because I've actually warmed up to this board quite a bit.  I'm not entirely sure if it's just a matter of getting used to it or if it actually needed some breaking it, but it feels a lot better to type on to me now.  I also replaced the keycaps and that made a big difference.  The stock caps may be PBT but they're quite thin and don't particularly feel or sound good.  I put some GMK caps on it and that really helps.  Oddly enough I didn't need any hacks to get the stabilizer inserts to fit like chyros's video described.  They were quite snug by default in my GMK caps.

I think raising the actuation point is pretty essential for the clicky switches.  It really is quite easy to click without actuating at the default setting, and to me at least that rather defeats the purpose of having a clicky switch.  There are still some inconsistencies between the different switches and that probably remains my biggest issue.  But it doesn't bother me as much as it did at first so that's the part I've probably just gotten used to.

It's not a perfect board but honestly it feels pretty good to me now.  And hey, it's pretty cool just to have a modern Hall effect keyboard.  One made out of bamboo at that ;)

Offline aya3154

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 11:45:53 »
I clicked this as someone who wanted to know more and dint expect a video
Your video was amazing , informative and very enjoyable

subbed and now I'm watching many more :D

Thank you for this ! :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 11:47:41 »

His videos are the best.

Did you find this thread because of the current Massdrop?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 12:08:57 »
Thanks guys, it means a lot :D .

Offline aya3154

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 00:33:53 »

His videos are the best.

Did you find this thread because of the current Massdrop?

Yup  :D

Offline hyperlite218

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:22:47 »
How do the hall effect keyboards feel? I have yet to try one but they are intriguing

Offline j0hnwats0n

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 16:59:35 »
A pair of really cool keyboards this week, the new clicky and tactile Hall effect boards from Ace Pad Tech! Hope you enjoy the video :) .

Excellent review! Is it possible to order their switches alone?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 01:03:16 »
Don't think so, but I don't know what the point would b either tbh Oo .