Author Topic: Concept for "Animated" Keycaps  (Read 4986 times)

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
Concept for "Animated" Keycaps
« on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 18:02:05 »
Inspired by my recent acquisition of an NMB keyboard with “space invader” switches, I mocked up a Space Invaders themed keycap set.

link here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?;msg=1567623;topic=25674.840

I liked the concept but, in my mind, the space invader sprites seemed lacking because they weren’t animated like they are in the video game.  The more I saw the keycaps, the more I wanted to fix that “flaw”.  I wanted to use traditional keycaps so that they could be put on any existing keyboard with the proper switch type, so I conceived of using polarized images on a keycap.  I don’t know if it’s possible with current technology, but I thought of printing multiple layers on a keycap, that would individually “light up” when the proper polarity of light was shone through the bottom of the key by an LED.  Being limited to the two frames that are printed,  etched, or laminated on the keycaps at the time of manufacture,  the animations are going to be primitive.  My initial idea was to have an animated keyboard with Pac-Man chasing a ghost, like the image below.

84846-0

But then I thought that polarized light might not provide the correct colors.  Then I conceived of using a dual-colored LED with two-toned color filters on the keycaps, similar to the color filters used by cheap 3-D movies and secret message filters on board games.  Legends on one half of the key would be one color, while legends on the other half of the key would be a different color.

Then I thought of a more practical application. Imagine having a backlit JD40 keyboard with legends that change to match the layer. 

The first image below is my concept of a set of polarized keycaps.  I tried to keep the alternate set of legends visible because I thought that some light would still pass through the legend if the keycaps were real.  I abandoned that conceit when I produce the mock-up for a set of color-filtered keycaps, to better convey the concept.  But now I wish I’d kept both sets of legends visible on the color-filtered set to get feedback from someone who is color-blind.  I used red and blue for the color-filter concept, but obviously, there are other sets of colors that could be used also.

Concept for JD40 keyboard with backlit, polarized keycaps
84848-1

Concept for JD40 keyboard with 2-toned color-filtered keycaps
84850-2
Is there anyone in the GeekHack community who can state whether it is possible to produce a key with multiple polarized layers that allow the key to display multiple legends or images when backlit, either by printing differently polarized images on top of each other or by printing polarized decals and putting one decal on the top of the key and one decal on the underside of the key?  What about making a key with 2 color filters that allow the key to display one or more legends when backlit by a two-colored LED?  Is it possible to have a more complex filter and use multi-wavelength light to create interference patterns to obscure or modify part of a legend(s)?

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 December 2014, 18:10:33 by derezzed »

Offline Coreda

Re: Concept for "Animated" Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 18:34:39 »
If this were possible as illustrated above it would open up so many design possibilities.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 23:00:43 »
Just use tiny screens in each keycap. It was done pretty well on the Optimus with oled, and there was an earlier version of similar idea from the 80's with monochome lcd

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 00:03:27 »
Concept for JD40 keyboard with 2-toned color-filtered keycaps
(Attachment Link)
Triple-shot moulding with transparent switches (Matias or Cherry) should work.
I'd rather have a switch design that can light up left and right sides independently without too much light bleed - and then you would need only doubleshot moulding or even cheaper keycaps.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 01:25:56 »
very neat ideas! i'm curious to see where this goes.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 14:06:42 »
Just use tiny screens in each keycap. It was done pretty well on the Optimus with oled, and there was an earlier version of similar idea from the 80's with monochome lcd
Show Image

That's a very expensive solution and the keys are not transferable to another board.  I wasn't looking for individually programmable key legends or complicated animations.  I wanted a much lower cost solution that could work with current, common mechanical switch technology with no or minimal modifications necessary to the switches, like Findecanor's suggestion of adding two color filters to keycaps via a triple-shot molding process.  A two-color LED would still be required for the effect but no radical alteration of the switches or the board controller would be necessary.    I think the ideal application for this would be for indicating which of the two most commonly used layers is active on a keyboard.  For example, imagine flipping the Dvorak DIP switch on a Code keyboard and having the key legends change from QWERTY to Dvorak.

I'd rather have a switch design that can light up left and right sides independently without too much light bleed - and then you would need only doubleshot moulding or even cheaper keycaps.

This idea, if not easier to implement, may produce a better result than mine.  It would require compartmentalizing the keycap.  The only sticking point would be how easily the switch can be modified to support two independently controlled LEDs.

Offline Ritual

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 10:12:32 »
In 10 years people on geekhack will be complaining that their Key Caps powered by HD LED screen legends don't have the same texture or classyness as double shot PBS caps  :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 December 2014, 10:14:09 by Ritual »

Offline noktrnlco

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 December 2014, 18:56:32 »
remember these? http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/popularis/

each key is a 72x72 pixel display

edit: i should read above before posting.