Author Topic: The Vape Thread!  (Read 464701 times)

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
Re: The Vape Thread!
« Reply #550 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:04:36 »
I guess I don't really know. I need to spend some more time looking in to it. It doesn't specifically say it's nickel, unlike the coils that came with the MEGA which are labeled with both the ohm ratings and the material ni vs ti

It came with a .5 coil installed and had an extra 1.5 and RDA coil. I had originally left the .5 in it.

Even using in wattage mode it makes a popping and hissing is that common? Perhaps I should record what I'm talking about.
the popping and hissing is normal and it can get especially loud if the coil gets flooded but should gradually decline in intensity as the excess juice is used up (that's at least what i have experienced)
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #551 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:05:28 »
I guess I don't really know. I need to spend some more time looking in to it. It doesn't specifically say it's nickel, unlike the coils that came with the MEGA which are labeled with both the ohm ratings and the material ni vs ti

It came with a .5 coil installed and had an extra 1.5 and RDA coil. I had originally left the .5 in it.

Even using in wattage mode it makes a popping and hissing is that common? Perhaps I should record what I'm talking about.

It is easier if we could see what is going on in-person. The popping is normal as it is just the juice heating up and crackling, but the hissing could be from over shooting, essentially burning the wick. Record exactly what is going on, and I could definitely help you out. The subtank mini or nano never come with a nickel coil, so if it is the coil that it comes with, then no they are not nickel. The ni200 coils are labeled on the box of 5 coils, as well as the lettering being blue.

Recording will definitely help us with alleviating your situation. The VTC and VT are both up to par (some even say better than) with the IPV D2, so it is a solid box mod. Wouldn't want you to waste that thing.

EDIT: Only if the hissing is a sharp loud hissing where it just sounds like gas leaking out of a pipe.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #552 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 19:22:37 »
I ordered a nickel and I'll give that a try first and see how it goes, if it's still an issue I'll record a little video.

I appreciate everyone's help <3
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #553 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:55:02 »
lucaslink was super generous and surprised me with a velocity RDA. So I've had it for a few days and I have to say it's my new favorite RDA, for both flavor and vapor production it kicks my 454 big block's ass! It has very adjustable air flow so you can easily change between a warm dense vape and a cooler super cloudy vape.

Right now I have a braided 26ga coil that's probably around .2 ohms

For comparison sake the 454 does go through less juice but that could be due to the braided coil. Also the velocity leaks less often but when it does leak it leaks more juice than the 454.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #554 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:10:23 »
lucaslink was super generous and surprised me with a velocity RDA. So I've had it for a few days and I have to say it's my new favorite RDA, for both flavor and vapor production it kicks my 454 big block's ass! It has very adjustable air flow so you can easily change between a warm dense vape and a cooler super cloudy vape.

For comparison sake the 454 does go through less juice but that could be due to the braided coil. Also the velocity leaks less often but when it does leak it leaks more juice than the 454.

It's a great atty! I just wish it didn't so ridiculous and wish they had a reduced size (I'm a sucker for short styled atties like my bonsai). A clapton would be beautiful in that sucker since it would really bring out a lot of flavor. I also wish they had a better wholesale distribution cause I hate ordering stuff online. I rather have it in our shop and pick it up and play with it right there and then.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:20:56 »

It's a great atty! I just wish it didn't so ridiculous and wish they had a reduced size (I'm a sucker for short styled atties like my bonsai). A clapton would be beautiful in that sucker since it would really bring out a lot of flavor. I also wish they had a better wholesale distribution cause I hate ordering stuff online. I rather have it in our shop and pick it up and play with it right there and then.

I planned to wrap a clapton for it but I was out of 22ga.   :))

I thought it looked a bit to tall but it looks amazing on my paragon midnight clone.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:11:23 »

I thought it looked a bit to tall but it looks amazing on my paragon midnight clone.

A velocity mini does exist.  Also, there's like 1120319123098 clones floating around, so it should be at some distributor or other.  Source:  bought my velocity from a store.

I've been running a dual 32 over 26 clapton build in mine and it's good stuff.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:16:40 »

A velocity mini does exist.  Also, there's like 1120319123098 clones floating around, so it should be at some distributor or other.  Source:  bought my velocity from a store.

I've been running a dual 32 over 26 clapton build in mine and it's good stuff.

Gotta find that mini. I don't do clones tho so let's see what happens

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #558 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 00:20:13 »
Hi again everyone! I finally dialed in my stock tank and settings. 400F and 50W, burns a nice smooth cool cloudy hit which i love. I did a bit more research on coils and settings and realized my issue was using the 1.5 coil with way to high of settings. Using the 1.5 coil and Turning the settings down to about 6-7.5w i was able to get a good hit off the subtank.

But of course, here come my current situations / question :))

1) I got in my nickel coils for the subtank. They are .15 ohms, the problem comes up as my box will only see it as a .2 and just burns way to strong even if i turn the settings was down. Not sure if im just dumb, but i cannot for the life of me get it to work. Also, any time i change tanks the box takes me a few times for it to recognize the proper resistance. Like with my ONE mega and the .2 coil, it will recognize any where from .18 to .28. Once i get it dialed in right its great, but ive had it take 15 minutes of re-attaching the tank until it gets the right resistance.

2) More of a noob question that i've found 10 different answers to. How do you change the liquids in your tanks? Do you need to change the atomizer every time, i read somewhere to empty your tank and then just click the power button a few times to "dry burn" any juice left in the coils out.

Sorry if im asking a lot of questions. So far Im loving it. Even when things go wrong, i just find it a good time to learn something, not get frustrated.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #559 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 01:23:48 »
Hi again everyone! I finally dialed in my stock tank and settings. 400F and 50W, burns a nice smooth cool cloudy hit which i love. I did a bit more research on coils and settings and realized my issue was using the 1.5 coil with way to high of settings. Using the 1.5 coil and Turning the settings down to about 6-7.5w i was able to get a good hit off the subtank.

But of course, here come my current situations / question :))

1) I got in my nickel coils for the subtank. They are .15 ohms, the problem comes up as my box will only see it as a .2 and just burns way to strong even if i turn the settings was down. Not sure if im just dumb, but i cannot for the life of me get it to work. Also, any time i change tanks the box takes me a few times for it to recognize the proper resistance. Like with my ONE mega and the .2 coil, it will recognize any where from .18 to .28. Once i get it dialed in right its great, but ive had it take 15 minutes of re-attaching the tank until it gets the right resistance.

2) More of a noob question that i've found 10 different answers to. How do you change the liquids in your tanks? Do you need to change the atomizer every time, i read somewhere to empty your tank and then just click the power button a few times to "dry burn" any juice left in the coils out.

Sorry if im asking a lot of questions. So far Im loving it. Even when things go wrong, i just find it a good time to learn something, not get frustrated.

Awesome that you found the right settings for your subtank with a 1.5 ohm coil.

1) After you use your device and switch to another tank, you have to let it sit for a few minutes while the new tank is on. Everything has to be within room temperature (the device and the tank) before you start using it. Once everything is cooled down and everything is at room temperature, then lock the resistance. I have many customers come in saying that the resistance is jumping and firing too hot and getting burn hits. You must lock in the resistance ONCE THE DEVICE AND TANK ARE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. Should solve the issue with the .15 ohm Ni200 coil for the subtank.

2) Just rinse out the tank section and base (not the coil) with warm water and dry it with a paper towel or air dry it. Once you fill up the tank and put one or two drops into the coil head with the new juice you should be fine. The new flavor should come in after a few vapes. The thing is, however, if you have a flavor that really sticks to the wick (chocolates, coffee, citrus, etc.) you might need to change the coil, but that is at your discretion. Nickel is a bit trickier as well because the nickel is vaporizing the juice and not heating the wick so it would take a bit longer to get the flavor in.

Offline heroinbob

« Reply #560 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 02:38:34 »
Been vaping for a couple of years now - no interest in going back to analogs.

I'm a keep-it-simple vape-r.

Mechmod (2200mah 18650 battery)
Dual coil RDA (only wire up a single coil - no need for sub-ohm)
Japanese cotton

I make my own ejuice - my habbit costs me less than $.50/10ml
90% vg + 10% flavor
Nicotine is VG-Based (do not use PG based nicotine if you want to minimize PG/maximize VG)

Everyone I meet that vapes "poo-poo's" my setup & juice, until they try it - then they're like "WTF? you made this? and it costs how much?".

I get my batteries from old laptop battery packs (ewaste) - when a laptop battery pack goes bad, it is usually 2 of the 6 cells that are bad.  Pull the cells, throw them in charger to test, good ones - use dremel tool to grind ends flat/smooth (bad ones discard).

Ok, yeah, yeah, sub-ohm vaping with un-protected batteries is a risk, but I don't go sub-ohm (only 1 coil w/ 4/5 twists).

Get a SoShine 18650 4-bay charger ~ aprox $27 online (1A x4 bays w/ lcd)
Buy your VG by the gallon
Buy your nicotine vg-based @ 100mg/ml (lock it up - deadly to animals and children)
Transfer your flavors to glass (keep in frigerator - shelf life is about 6-9 months)
Get ejuice-me-up calculator (great free recipe/mix program)
Stay away from sucralose based sweeteners (contributes to alergies and blurry vision)
Drink lots of water - vaping dehydrates you (THIS IS CRITICAL)

Mix up a bottle, close/seal bottle, drop bottle in a cup of hot-coffee/tea, drink beverage, when beverage has been drank, enough heat has transferred to the ejuice, shake, vape! (no need for complicated steeping). Takes me 5 minutes to mix a bottle + the time to drink cup of coffee/tea.

Costs me $1.40 to mix up a 30ml bottle (honest!!!) - 3+ days supply

The flavor apprentice
Capella's flavors
Flavorwest

Vape-on!!!

Paul (HB)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #561 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 14:09:52 »
Just to x-post - https://www.reddit.com/r/ecigclassifieds/comments/3qbelb/wts_3ish_tfv4_65_all_or_25each/

I'm also thinking about selling my ipv3 and vtc4/5s that I use with it.  I picked up a vaporshark dna200 and I'm hooked.  I might pick up a bigger battery dna200 mod for a backup.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #562 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:02:52 »
Picked up the smok tvf4 mini my first experience using Clapton coils comes with a really easy to use rba and this thing chucks vapor and chugs juice unfortunately. It came with giant sextuplets core coil heads that drain a 4ml resy in a handful of vapes  :eek: I've been dialing it way back on the rba head and its got amazing taste and sips rather than chugs the juice which is one of the reasons I wanted it. Overall pretty happy subtank wise the uwell and this smok are definetely my faves that I have used
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #563 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:06:21 »
Picked up the smok tvf4 mini my first experience using Clapton coils comes with a really easy to use rba and this thing chucks vapor and chugs juice unfortunately. It came with giant sextuplets core coil heads that drain a 4ml resy in a handful of vapes  :eek: I've been dialing it way back on the rba head and its got amazing taste and sips rather than chugs the juice which is one of the reasons I wanted it. Overall pretty happy subtank wise the uwell and this smok are definetely my faves that I have used

Nice, I've been procrastinating building my clapton coils and getting my new vape rig setup  :-[

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #564 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:19:35 »

The TFV4 is such a great tank! I'm all about my rebuildable tanks, but as far as those that are mainly using pre-made coils, the TFV4 is up there. I personally don't like the size (looks ridiculous on a IPV D2), but it gives all your needs and then some.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #565 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:15:03 »
Wrapped a twisted coil with 3 strands of 26ga today, it's about .17 ohms. I've been playing around with lower ohm higher surface area coils and I have to say, the three core twisted is pretty similar to a braid for vapor and flavor but it spits a lot less. Neither stands up to a clapton though.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #566 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:41:08 »

The TFV4 is such a great tank! I'm all about my rebuildable tanks, but as far as those that are mainly using pre-made coils, the TFV4 is up there. I personally don't like the size (looks ridiculous on a IPV D2), but it gives all your needs and then some.

The mini is a lot more reasonably sized, fortunately.  I'm in the midst of changing to crown/cyclones because i'm tired of the size or waiting for SS coils though.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #567 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 21:43:43 »

The mini is a lot more reasonably sized, fortunately.  I'm in the midst of changing to crown/cyclones because i'm tired of the size or waiting for SS coils though.

My suggestion: Learn how to build and get a Bellus by Youde or a Goblin Mini by Youde.

Seriously. RTAs that allow versatility such as the two mentioned give such a better vape. The Bellus especially is easy to build and is a top fill tank. Just gotta get the wicking down pat. You won't have to wait for coils or spend $20-30 on a five pack, and would just need to rebuild every 2-4 weeks (depending on juice and how low you are building). Plus if you get those two, you can just order Ni200, Ti, or SS coils by the feet for dumb cheap and fine tune it even more with the build you decide to put on. Rebuilding is a 10x better experience. I love my Goblin Mini at a single coil for flavor as well as nicotine delivery, and plan on getting a Bellus for cloud chasing fun.

Edit: RTAs also look sexier
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 21:46:45 by TimIsABat »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #568 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:24:31 »

My suggestion: Learn how to build and get a Bellus by Youde or a Goblin Mini by Youde.

Seriously. RTAs that allow versatility such as the two mentioned give such a better vape. The Bellus especially is easy to build and is a top fill tank. Just gotta get the wicking down pat. You won't have to wait for coils or spend $20-30 on a five pack, and would just need to rebuild every 2-4 weeks (depending on juice and how low you are building). Plus if you get those two, you can just order Ni200, Ti, or SS coils by the feet for dumb cheap and fine tune it even more with the build you decide to put on. Rebuilding is a 10x better experience. I love my Goblin Mini at a single coil for flavor as well as nicotine delivery, and plan on getting a Bellus for cloud chasing fun.

1.  hate building most of the time, but I mostly have build experience with rbas, so maybe a goblin mini can convert me?  I dunno.  The last RTA I had was the russian 90%
2.  You rite.  Esp SS by the foot is stupid ****ing cheap.  Like orders of magnitude cheaper than anything else.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:28:30 by tjcaustin »

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #569 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 22:57:04 »

just watched a review on the bellus by youde and was sold pretty quickly !!! For $26 shipped whats the worst that can happen haha.... Thanks again Tim you have really come through for me AGAIN 8) I wish I was closer to your shop as I would love to chill and vape.

So question guys I just got my smok mini which is my first tank with a RBA option and now I have this bellus en route (for reals I'm up to 6 different tanks now already haha  :rolleyes:) where is a good place to order coil and cotton as well as other supplies. There is literally a metric **** ton of vaping sites and it hurts my head searching through miles of menus and then reading reviews etc etc. each purchase requires about 15-20 min or more of research  :-X knowledge is power or something I guess but **** me running its getting a bit asinine

I also need to upgrade from my subox and evic mini. I love them but even the new 75watt firmware on the evic is a little low power wise and I'm just absolutely eating up batteries like I'm the vapagizer bunny ..... 
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 23:21:16 by Sed8op8 »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #570 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:45:19 »

just watched a review on the bellus by youde and was sold pretty quickly !!! For $26 shipped whats the worst that can happen haha.... Thanks again Tim you have really come through for me AGAIN 8) I wish I was closer to your shop as I would love to chill and vape.

So question guys I just got my smok mini which is my first tank with a RBA option and now I have this bellus en route (for reals I'm up to 6 different tanks now already haha  :rolleyes:) where is a good place to order coil and cotton as well as other supplies. There is literally a metric **** ton of vaping sites and it hurts my head searching through miles of menus and then reading reviews etc etc. each purchase requires about 15-20 min or more of research  :-X knowledge is power or something I guess but **** me running its getting a bit asinine

I also need to upgrade from my subox and evic mini. I love them but even the new 75watt firmware on the evic is a little low power wise and I'm just absolutely eating up batteries like I'm the vapagizer bunny .....

For wire I suggest eBay, or Lightning Vapes. You can get spools of 100' for really cheap. Once you start rebuilding, you will notice that you will be spending far less on wire than you would on packs of coils. For cotton I suggest Puff's Japanese cotton on amazon, or try out cottonman.com. I haven't tried his stuff yet, but I am really interested as they are fresh picked as well as organically washed and cleaned. He has a whole selection just for vaping. I would look into his Angel Hair kind as I feel it would satisfy all your vaping needs.

Vaping isn't just a method of quitting cigarettes for me (2 years XD). It became a passion, and it always feels good to help other people get the best vape they can. I don't do it for the money or notoriety, I genuinely want people to quit smoking and get the best that they can get gradually (I never suggest a RDA and a mechanical mod to a complete novice). If you are ever in NJ please let me know and I could help you out in person. If  I could, I would be spending $500 on Stabilized wood SXJ Chip box mods, and $200 RTAs. I'm just that passionate.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #571 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 01:55:09 »
Finally got around to setting my rig up!  First time doing pretty much everything, 24g Ti g1 core, 32g kanthal (which was not kind to me, kept trying to explode from the spool when I was trying to wrap, had to grab a spool tamer to get the 2nd coil done).  :)) :))

"close enough"

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #572 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:43:56 »
Finally got around to setting my rig up!  First time doing pretty much everything, 24g Ti g1 core, 32g kanthal (which was not kind to me, kept trying to explode from the spool when I was trying to wrap, had to grab a spool tamer to get the 2nd coil done).  :)) :))

Show Image

"close enough"

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

First time wrapping and you go for a clapton.  :))

Way to dive in head first!

How's the dual clapton in the tank?

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #573 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:58:21 »

Show Image

"close enough"

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Pretty pro for. First time build! Surprised it fit in the aromamizer! Super slick!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #574 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:05:22 »
I was at the local vape shop today and some dude walked it with dual stapled staggered claptons.  :eek:

They were gorgeous and amazing to use but there's no way they were worth the work. 

Looked like this.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #575 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:10:47 »
I'm thinking about getting one of the two previously mentioned RTAs to try dual parallel stainless claptons in.  Will that be too much for the build deck on either?

Crown with SS coil + dna200 in tc is a dream so far.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #576 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:25:36 »
I'm thinking about getting one of the two previously mentioned RTAs to try dual parallel stainless claptons in.  Will that be too much for the build deck on either?

Depends on the gauge you use, when I clapton I use a 22 core with a 26 wrap and they end up huge but I've seen some tiny claptons.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:11:42 »

Depends on the gauge you use, when I clapton I use a 22 core with a 26 wrap and they end up huge but I've seen some tiny claptons.

Thinking 32 over 24.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #578 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 00:28:57 »

Thinking 32 over 24.

that might fit. I would try 36-40 over 26

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #579 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:39:54 »
Proud to say after vaping for three months to help quit, i've been nicotine free for almost 8 months feels good. My fav mod was a RDA, Catz by RJ Mods

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #580 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:04:45 »
Anyone tried the istick tc40?

Thinking of trying that with the tc coils for my melo tank.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #581 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 13:29:02 »
Anyone tried the istick tc40?

Thinking of trying that with the tc coils for my melo tank.

Solid and simple like all isticks. 

Offline clochette

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 05:11:53 »
my country is about to make vapeing illegal.....  :-X

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #583 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 10:41:49 »

What are they saying against vaping to make it illegal?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #584 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 12:20:52 »

Ignorance and misinformation
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline KoalaKaiser

• I make onions cry.
« Reply #585 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:40:58 »
Sounds about right with most things.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #586 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 15:03:51 »
US is in midst of trying to get the FDA to approve all juices and mods (made after 2007) for sale.  It basically will end vaping in the US as it currently is now as the entry cost to get anything approved for sale will cost $20 - 50k.

On to better news:

Since I really like how the dna200 is performing in my vaporshark, I'm going to pick up one of these next - http://www.vaporlips.com/dna200-box-mod/

3000mah (so about 3.3x the vaporshark) 3s lipo battery, custom case/button/connection.  It'll "only" cost me $300 plus a 2 month wait.

Offline clochette

« Reply #587 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 16:57:14 »

Ignorance and misinformation

not so much that, it is a country that has also banned the consumption of sheesha (hookah)
we are known for insanely high taxes on such goods (i.e ciggarettes), which has led to speculation that it is being banned because there is really no way to tax the consumption of such goods

the irony of the last quoted  :p

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #588 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 17:16:26 »
US is in midst of trying to get the FDA to approve all juices and mods (made after 2007) for sale.  It basically will end vaping in the US as it currently is now as the entry cost to get anything approved for sale will cost $20 - 50k.

I may not be educated in the ways of politics, but I don't see how this will make vaping illegal.  There will be a transition period from when the law is approved to when the manufacturers have to abide by it.  My guess would be in the realm of a year.  While it would make it much more difficult for an individual to make and commercially sell custom box mods and such, the mass producers won't have much difficulty aside from taking a bit longer to get on the market and maybe a touch higher price tag.

Besides, it might help with some of the safety concerns of commercially available unregulated box mods, then putting unregulated batteries, and having them overheat and bad stuff happening after that.

Either way...

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #589 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 17:44:18 »

I may not be educated in the ways of politics, but I don't see how this will make vaping illegal.  There will be a transition period from when the law is approved to when the manufacturers have to abide by it.  My guess would be in the realm of a year.  While it would make it much more difficult for an individual to make and commercially sell custom box mods and such, the mass producers won't have much difficulty aside from taking a bit longer to get on the market and maybe a touch higher price tag.

Besides, it might help with some of the safety concerns of commercially available unregulated box mods, then putting unregulated batteries, and having them overheat and bad stuff happening after that.

Either way...

I'm down with thoughtful regulation, but also notice I didn't say vaping will become illegal with this.  I probably shouldn't have quoted clochette to be fair, but it was more a lead off to say what the US is looking at doing currently. 

You're right that there will be a grace period where some people will try to grab as much of the easy cash as possible, but there would be a huge contraction in both the juice and mod markets (save DIY, which isn't subject to such regulations as such), where it'll be the largest of current companies dictating pricing, flavors and tech based on whether or not it'll be profitable after both r&d and then the cost of regulation.  While I've heard it'll cost $20,000 to $50,000 per juice flavor before, I just read an article today talking about how that cost could be as much as $500,000 per flavor or device looking to be sold in the States.  I don't think that will lead to a touch higher prices, but significantly higher prices and less innovation as well.

A lot of the battery related accidents I've read about seem to boil down to user error, too.  Carrying batteries loose in a pocket that has other metal things in it (keys/change) which lead to shorting, over heating, then explosive venting, poor education when it comes to building both mods and coils or using visibly damaged batteries.  But we also live in a society of hand holding instead of education and responsibility so what regulation that does come through will probably be too stiff for my preferences.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #590 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 19:41:45 »
Have a black with tiffany blue splatter tugboat unregulated box on the way, it'll be home to my KBK wrapped batteries. Hopefully it'll be here by saturday but with my luck it'll probably be monday.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #591 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 10:07:53 »
Hi guys, I'll join the thread. Potato camera at the moment so I will just post the seller's images until I get a better one.

Running dual 26 gauge A1 on a Plume Veil V2.5 Styled RDA w/ a Tugboat Styled mech mod (LG 18650HG2 batteries). I bought everything off fasttech, great website for getting into vaping if you are new to it and they have solid products for cheap. I'd recommend buying all vaping juice from local though, I don't trust the stuff to not have machining oil in it ^:P

I absolutely love this combo so I will do a mini review of it now.

Plume Veil V2.5 Styled RDA:

Great little RDA, I love the airflow on it, there are plenty of airholes, two in the top, two on the side letting air flow directly over the coils depending on how you arrange it and two on the bottom for airflow underneath the coils, although I usually leave these closed and pool the bottom deck with juice so I don't have to fill it up as much (these will leak juice if they are open, this is one of my gripes about this). Another one of my gripes is that it is incredibly hard to pull the black carbon fiber middle piece off. This might not be a problem for some people but when you are switching out coils you really have to give it a good pull.

A thing to note about the middle piece though is that is is incredibly tough, don't let the look of flimsy carbon fiber put you off there is a brass cylinder inside of it which makes it super tough. The pegs themselves are a decent enough height off the bottom deck although like most RDA's it could have a little more clearance off the deck. The center peg does turn a little so you will have to tighten up the middle screw. The airflow through the drip tip is fantastic, I like to lung inhale so I quite like a big opening and the plume veil nails it. It's made out of POM and after a few months of use it has been quite durable, I have accidentally bitten it a few times but it shows no signs of wear.

Overall I really like this RDA, would highly recommend it to anyone, great value for money only $7 dollars US.

Tugboat Styled Mechanical Box Mod:

I will start out with the nasties. There is hot snot used over the top of the soldering, a crude & cheap alternative to liquid electrical tape but I guess it gets the job done, there is also a little wiggle with the rear cover although this is very very slight, looking back on it, it wouldn't prevent me from buying it again. This is a solid device. This is a simple device. It makes the magic pixies go from the battery to the coil and then back to the battery. And for all intensive purposes it does this perfectly.

The button is much better than I expected. Not the best button in the world but certainly not the worst. There is a definite tactile bump on firing and its not a design that would make me think it would stick at all. The 510 thread is spring loaded and the back is magnetically seated and strong. The housing itself is made out of milled aluminium and very dense, it feels very good in the hand and feels quality despite the price. The paint job surprised me, its a matt premium feeling paint, like velvet and it tough, I gave it a really good scratch with my fingernails and I was surprised that it didn't come off. I then gave it a good scratch with my keys and it still didn't come off so its a pass for pocket friendlyness if you have big enough pockets. Its some type of powder coating and if feels REALLY nice. It seems to have some sort of clear matt protective coating over the green and red.

For $27 usd its a solid mod, there are many other ones out there that seem to have come from the same manufacturer so I give it a thumbs up and a recommendation although I have heard some horror stories about them being wired in series on a parallel sled.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #592 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 15:18:51 »
Got my authentic tuglyfe box today, I know some people don't like the splatter but it matches my 454 big block so I'm happy.

116779-0

I don't actually have a build in the 454 because it leaks all the time so for now I'm using my velocity with it.

116781-1

116783-2

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #593 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 15:48:11 »
Was looking for a Rebuildable, and was looking to grab the Youde Goblin Mini, some nickel wire and some cotton.

My question is, since my box detects the resistance automatically, do i need to buy something that tests before hand? Or will i be good, to make the coil/wick it, and the screw just the bottom on to see the resistance?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #594 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:06:39 »
Was looking for a Rebuildable, and was looking to grab the Youde Goblin Mini, some nickel wire and some cotton.

My question is, since my box detects the resistance automatically, do i need to buy something that tests before hand? Or will i be good, to make the coil/wick it, and the screw just the bottom on to see the resistance?

If your box tests the resistance I don't think you'll need to test beforehand, I wrap for mechs and unless I know it'll be below 0.15ohms I don't test mine.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #595 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:09:03 »

If your box tests the resistance I don't think you'll need to test beforehand, I wrap for mechs and unless I know it'll be below 0.15ohms I don't test mine.

I would think I would be able to guess the resistance by look after a few. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks Joey  :thumb:

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #596 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 16:20:21 »

I would think I would be able to guess the resistance by look after a few. I just wanted to be sure.

You'll be able to roughly guess after making coils for a while.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #597 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:05:00 »

hey tree
I have a few mods that test resistance but I still picked up one because it's really easy to see if there any hot spots and to see how the cool is doing under load. I am able to make small adjustments easily with ceramic tweezers and Pop my deck back In ezpz (to many  rip vids) anyways you don't need one but I picked mine up for $10 and use it all the time so it was definitely worth it 8) I love my youde bellus and almost bought the goblin mini let me know how you like it 8)

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #598 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:12:53 »
Got my authentic tuglyfe box today, I know some people don't like the splatter but it matches my 454 big block so I'm happy.

(Attachment Link)

I don't actually have a build in the 454 because it leaks all the time so for now I'm using my velocity with it.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

the tugboxes are so nice. I had a difficult time finding a build i thoroughly enjoyed on it though. The button is what really drives it home... so clicky.

havent posted here in a while, my desk is a mess.

official problem
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #599 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 18:23:09 »

hey tree
I have a few mods that test resistance but I still picked up one because it's really easy to see if there any hot spots and to see how the cool is doing under load. I am able to make small adjustments easily with ceramic tweezers and Pop my deck back In ezpz (to many  rip vids) anyways you don't need one but I picked mine up for $10 and use it all the time so it was definitely worth it 8) I love my youde bellus and almost bought the goblin mini let me know how you like it 8)

For 10$ it might be worth having on hand. Where did you get yours at?