Author Topic: [IC] GMK Lunar 🚀 — inspired by NASA's AGC and DSKY [GB MAR 6 - APR 7][PRICING👇🏼]  (Read 75960 times)

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries

228541-0

Meine Damen und Herren, Mesdames et Messieurs, Ladies and Gentlemen...

Since the group buy for GMK Phosphorous is well underway and should reach MOQ (🤞🏻), I would love to show you what I have been working on in the meantime.

Ever since June rolled over, I have been thinking how to commemorate the Apollo 11's mission's 50th anniversary.

Then I remembered about the Apollo Guidance Computer (it made waves over the internet a month or so ago, because people were trying to prove that Margaret Hamilton didn't write the software for it) and its interface — DSKY (pronounced "dis-kee"). As you can see, the DSKY has a black keypad with white legends, yellow indicator lights, and a green electroluminescent seven-segment display. Commands were entered numerically, as two-digit numbers — called Verb and Noun. The first one represented the action being issued, while the second represented the data that would be changed.

228545-2

DSKY itself was a starting point, but it did not yet give me a satisfactory colourway. But when I saw exactly how and where DSKY was mounted, I instantly knew what I wanted — subtle, lighter and darker greys, with yellows for the accents.

228547-3

One of my goals was to use the legends and values from DSKY's various keys and indicators, in place of our traditional legends. This in turn led me to a decision to use stock GMK colours, to make everything easier and more affordable.

GMK Lunar uses a medium 2B gray for the alphas and mods with a lighter 2M gray for legends. The Numpad, which I consider an integral part of the whole design and colourway, uses the darker N9 gray with 2M legends. I also chose N6 yellow as the main accent colour, with N9 legends, where appropriate. The Novelty Kit has a set of optional "Master Alarm" accents — these will be either V1 or RO2 (V1 currently).

(Please note that the keys that you will find on the renders below, have since been modified slightly, so they may not be completely accurate at this point in time. They also have a typo — my bad.)

Without further ado, I give you GMK Lunar...

Renders

GMK Lunar on Austin

234482-4

234484-5

234486-6

Old renders
More

228549-7

228551-8

228553-9

228555-10

228557-11

GMK Lunar on e-yellow Think6.5

234489-12

234491-13

234493-14

Planned Kits

Please note that the text on the arrows will be replaced by arrow icons. The font is also not a perfect match for GMK's font. These are temporary renders until they're more or less finalized, when I'll get someone who knows what she or he is doing to do them.

Command Module (Core Kit)
236416-15

Old kit
More
228847-16
228559-17

Houston! We Have A Problem! (Novelty Kit)
236418-18

Old kits
More
233320-19
230778-20
229920-21
228849-22
228776-23
228561-24

Novelties are still a work in progress, are being refined and will be perfected. Any and all feedback on their topic would be fantastic.

Landing Pad (Spacebar Kit)
236420-25

Old kit
More
228851-26
228563-27

Lunar Module (N9 Alphas Kit)
236422-28
It should be possible to cover two keyboards with the Command Module and Lunar Module (base kit + alpha kit), depending on your layouts.

Old kit
More
228853-29
228567-30

Service Module (Assembly Kit)
236424-31
More
233306-32

GMK Lunar Pricing

Dear everyone,

I just received the final prices from all the vendors today. Salvun's artisans prices are still not 100% certain, so I will refrain from speculation.

— GMK Lunar has 77 new molds, which should make this one of the most unique GMK sets ever made.
— MOQ for the Command Module (base kit) is set at 150.
— Child kits are at 100.
— The Command Module + Lunar Module will allow you to cover 2 keyboards (one with split backspace etc.).
— I would also like to take this chance to thank GMK for all their help in graciously participating financially in this set, to help bring the price down, as well as the vendors, who have minimised their profits, to make it easier for all of you guys.
— The Command Module (base kit) offers completely custom modifiers and the whole design is based around the Apollo Guidance Computer, DSKY interface, and pays tribute to the upcoming 51st Anniversary of Apollo 11's moon mission.
— The Assembly Kit is designed to cover as many layouts, as was feasible. It's MOQ has already been bought out and it will be made.

The vendors participating in this group buy are as follows:

— The Key Company (USA): https://thekey.company/products/gmk-lunar
— MyKeyboard.eu (EU): https://mykeyboard.eu/
— Daily Clack (AUS): https://dailyclack.com/products/gmk-lunar
— iLumKB (SG/Asia): https://ilumkb.com/

Pricing is as follows...

USA

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 160 USD
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 75 USD
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 65 USD
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 25 USD
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 165 USD

Europe

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 151 EUR
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 70 EUR
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 57 EUR
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 20 EUR
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 160 EUR

Australia

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 242 AUD
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 113 AUD
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 98 AUD
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 38 AUD
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 250 AUD

Asia

Command Module (base kit | 149 keys) — 224 SGD
Houston! We Have a Problem! (novelty kit | 37 keys) — 105 SGD
Lunar Module (alphas kit | 59 keys) — 91 SGD
Landing Pad (Spacebars | 10 keys) — 35 SGD
Service Module (assembly kit | 133 keys) — 230 SGD

Sidenote: The base kit, at 160 USD, with included numpad, is still cheaper than GMK Phosphorous was with a separate base kit (129 USD base + 34 USD numpad = 163 USD) and GMK Apollo (120 USD base + 50 USD numpad = 170 USD).

Group buy starts...

USA — March 6, 9:00 pm EST (e.g. New York)
Europe — March 7, 3:00 am CET (e.g. Paris)
Asia — March 7, 10:00 am SGT (e.g. Singapore)
Australia — March 7, 12:00 pm QTZ (e.g. Brisbane)

Optional Kits — these won't go forward, there wasn’t enough demand
More
Below are some optional kits I am considering, but will not run them unless there is huge demand and you manage to change my mind.

Moon Rover (40s/ortho kit)

228565-33

NorDEUK Kit

228569-34
Interest Check Form

PLEASE TAKE PART IN THIS INTEREST CHECK: https://forms.gle/CCQo2ZMAt8hmgrXL8.

NEW POLL for GMK Lunar Profile — R1-1-2-3-4-4 vs. R0-1-2-3-4-5.

Signature

With background...

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104965][img width=450 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/i8fAo76.jpg[/img][/url]

With transparent background...

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104965][img width=450 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/LECtjiQ.png[/img][/url]
Misc

• The group buy stage is planned for March 2020.
  • A few vendors are already on board. You're welcome to contact me on the subject.
  • I'm working with MKUltra to create a full Assembly Kit based on Lunar. More info when I know more myself.

Contact

Changelog

• updated the "Houston! We Have a Problem!" novelty kit. Changes are listed here.
  • updated kits and kit renders; moved Lunar Module (dark alpha kit) to "planned kits"[/url].
  • it should be possible to cover 2 boards with the Command Module + Lunar Module (alpha kit)
  • two novelties have been re-worked, to better fit in with GMK's guidelines for vector art; Astronaut's Helmet — it now reflects the moon's surface in the visor; Neil Armstrong's Footprint — it's now modelled more on the sole of his boot than on the actual print that he left (shadow and all); currently working on an even better Lunar Lander for the R4 1.5u keys. The Moon will be moved to R4 1u keys.

• Lunar Lander has been reworked to meet GMK's specs (hopefully). Might not be final yet though.
  • R4 1.5u Moon novelties moved to R4 1u keys.
  • Lunar Lander with Flag added to R4 1.5u keys.

• Added final kit renders.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2020, 10:32:18 by Moridin »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Re: [IC] GMK Lunar — inspired by NASA's Apollo Guidance Computer and DSKY
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 13:42:06 »
Reserved (for renders).

Offline mydens

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 13:44:43 »
Nice looking keyboard, has that GB come and gone?

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 13:46:03 »
Nice looking keyboard, has that GB come and gone?

That is the fantastic Austin from driftingbunnies, and yes — it's over.

Offline jinrawke

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 13:47:53 »
diggin this.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 13:59:29 »
Yea I'm down.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 14:06:06 »
i think it's a good start

i'd like to see a little bit more going on if you're going for the space theme, since you're competing with quite a few sets in that slot
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline spooknik

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 14:07:18 »
I'm on board. Looks great.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 14:12:17 »

i'd like to see a little bit more going on if you're going for the space theme, since you're competing with quite a few sets in that slot

Tell me more!

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 14:24:33 »
I think it's nice to have a space themed set that doesn't scream PLANETS and SPACESHIPS. Space can be monotone and serious as well. You could offload some of that normal spacey stuff onto a desk mat. I have a thick NASA photobook all about the Apollo missions and they have some great photos of earth from above. https://imgur.com/a/efrrSeZ

For me this set leans more into command module than space anyway.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 17:35:10 »
the novelties are superb. I'm in.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:07:45 »
Yessss! :) Really love the combination (and overall inspiration)!

BTW: Well, now I understand how expensive this "hobby" can be if you read every IC post! ;)

Offline Stan137

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:12:23 »
Amazing colors with great inspiration. Definitely interested!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:16:43 »

Tell me more!

i think the novelties are actually really good, but i think the base kit is lacking

the legends don't show on the alphas enough, i think a whiter white or a darker grey would fix this issue

and since you want it to be mottled, like the surface of the moon, it's worth considering using a different color on the mods
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:18:56 »
Hey, love the idea of the set btw and the colours!

Just a concern for the base kit, considering that this set will be using custom text mods with lots of compatibility, GMK will have to make moulds for all of them which will drive the price up quite a bit. Something like this was seen in GMK Fro.Yo, but the smaller base kit made it still reasonably priced. How much it'd add I'm not sure, but it's just something to keep in mind of in case you wanted to cut it down for a more accessible price.

Look forward to seeing this in GB! :cool:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:19:58 »

Just a concern for the base kit, considering that this set will be using custom text mods with lots of compatibility, GMK will have to make moulds for all of them which will drive the price up quite a bit. Something like this was seen in GMK Fro.Yo, but the smaller base kit made it still reasonably priced. How much it'd add I'm not sure, but it's just something to keep in mind of in case you wanted to cut it down for a more accessible price.

it's a lot but it's less than you think given the volume that GMK sets sell nowadays

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:24:42 »
I like it. Base set is super low contrast for the legend color though. You might consider choosing a lighter shade of grey/white.

Edit: Also, the display text was green. I think green novelties would add a lot to the theme. Maybe even a translucent escape or enter key?

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:29:22 by Ensaum »

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:34:47 »

it's a lot but it's less than you think given the volume that GMK sets sell nowadays

What do you mean?

Its always been an MOQ of 250 on custom colours and 150 on stock for pricing unless you're bound to sell well which in that case quotes of 500, 750 etc can be made
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:33:54 by Agilr »

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 18:38:47 »
Probably just me, but what if "master alarm" was the backspace?

I like the lower contrast as is, I'd buy with the color suggestions too.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 19:26:27 »
I am a big fan of the low contrast. It could maybe do with a little bit more but it should remain "grey on grey". If it were much higher contrast with dark mods, green novelties and translucent Esc I feel it would completely miss the mark on the original minimalism OP was going for.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 21:13:23 »
If it were much higher contrast with dark mods, green novelties and translucent Esc it would completely miss the mark on the original minimalism OP was going for.

Wait, what?.. Where did op state this? This set is supposed to emulate a DSKY computer. The only quote I can find is "subtle, lighter and darker greys" which indicates nothing about low contrast legends or a lack of colored novelties (which are literally already offered in a kit).
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2019, 23:59:44 by Ensaum »

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 00:32:58 »
Great looking set! I wouldn't change a thing

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:36:36 »
and since you want it to be mottled, like the surface of the moon, it's worth considering using a different color on the mods

I don’t actually. Colourway is based on the AGC/DSKY interface and it’s surroundings. They happen to coincide with the the Moon’s shades of grey and the moon novelty is about as far as I would like to go in that direction.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:38:32 »

I’m hoping around 130 EUR/USD will be attainable.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:40:47 »
I like it. Base set is super low contrast for the legend color though. You might consider choosing a lighter shade of grey/white.

Edit: Also, the display text was green. I think green novelties would add a lot to the theme. Maybe even a translucent escape or enter key?

Show Image

I actually tried to incorporate the green (GMK AE) into the Numpad legends. It didn’t match the rest of the set. Clashed. I like your translucent idea though. Will think on it.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:44:46 »
If it were much higher contrast with dark mods, green novelties and translucent Esc it would completely miss the mark on the original minimalism OP was going for.

Wait, what?.. Where did op state this? This set is supposed to emulate a DSKY computer. The only quote I can find is "subtle, lighter and darker greys" which indicates nothing about low contrast legends or a lack of colored novelties (which are literally already offered in a kit).

That might have been a conversation on Discord and it’s what I meant when I wrote about subtlety. I don’t want too much contrast (e.g. I really like if the mods and alphas aren’t too far apart from each other, or ideally are in the same colour; see Phosphorous).

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 01:56:55 »
Some questions and topics from IC form that I wanted to touch on:

1. If you want regular mods, get GMK ASCII by Oblotzky. It’s running soon and we’re (completely by accident) running the same two shades of gray (2M and 2B).

2. I have 2 ideas for a RAMA collab I wish to pursue. Hopefully Kate will understand what I want.

3. I will be talking to Salvun about another collab (copper key, similar to the housing of the AGC in colour).

4. I cannot do a NASA logo. It’s copyrighted. I probably could reach out to them but the amount of red tape would be probably insane.

5. If this kit was running on Drop.com (which it won’t), I’d consider one more base kit in a reverse colourway (N9 mods and alphas, with a light numpad), aka what Oblivion did. But I don’t think we’d get enough buyers to make it reach MOQ.

6. There will be desk mats.

7. I am working on a very unique collab, one that hasn't been done before. More info when I get it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2019, 02:09:10 by Moridin »

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 06:00:38 »
Live this colour combination.  Interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adιlie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 08:39:24 »
I'm interested in this set, what is the novelty third from the left on R1 supposed to be? It looks like a mitochondria (might just be my medicine mind here)  ^-^

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 09:46:56 »
I'm interested in this set, what is the novelty third from the left on R1 supposed to be? It looks like a mitochondria (might just be my medicine mind here)  ^-^

Neil Armstrong's footstep! 😅

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 10:22:53 »

That might have been a conversation on Discord and it’s what I meant when I wrote about subtlety. I don’t want too much contrast (e.g. I really like if the mods and alphas aren’t too far apart from each other, or ideally are in the same colour; see Phosphorous).

I actually like the mods and alphas beeing the same color. My concern was the legends themselves beeing low contrast because in the renders they are near illegible. See SoWaRe or deep space for real life examples of what I'm talking about. However, if this set uses the same colors as ASCII, then it may just be an issue with the lighting in the renders because I can make ASCII out just fine.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2019, 10:26:22 by Ensaum »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 17:47:02 »

I actually like the mods and alphas beeing the same color. My concern was the legends themselves beeing low contrast because in the renders they are near illegible. See SoWaRe or deep space for real life examples of what I'm talking about. However, if this set uses the same colors as ASCII, then it may just be an issue with the lighting in the renders because I can make ASCII out just fine.

The legends should be fine. Oblotzky does colour/lighting neutral renders, while Abec goes for more fancy lighting (I’m guessing a tad less accurate).

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 17:55:58 »
228617-0

Should be plenty enough contrast for readability, yet they should subtly complement each other. These two colours have a similar temperature and they work wonderfully together.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
Re: [IC] GMK Lunar 🚀 — inspired by NASA's Apollo Guidance Computer and DSKY
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 12:44:15 »
I spent a few hours teaching myself rendering today (I'm tragic, so please bear with me; also can't get unicode legends to work, so I changed the arrow keys to text) while trying to showcase the contrast between the 2B keys and 2M legends. It should be plenty legible. Tried to make the lighting neutral and natural. Let me know what you think.

228661-0

I also played around with the idea of doing N9 legends on 2B keys. Here's what I came up with and please let me know what you think. The lighting in this render is a bit too dark (think evening time with little light) but the contrast appears to be lower than with the 2M legends.

228663-1

Feedback welcome. As usual.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 October 2019, 12:46:11 by Moridin »

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 13:12:47 »
AS much as I like GMK Dark and Ddolch, liked your original design better. Matches your inspiration a bit more too (although those keys look more like N9).

I'm probably not the only one who also likes the interoperability with ASCII, too.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 14:12:09 »
Personally prefer the first option (White on gray option).
Anyway, love the set so much ;)

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 15:08:25 »
Preliminary GB date is March 2020.

GMK Taro is March too. Will this be October 2019 all over again for me?

I’ll experiment with N9 mods and N9 alphas tomorrow.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 20:52:58 »
The contrast on your render looks better. Dark legends are no bueno though.

Offline consumer

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 22:01:00 »

Agree.
How about Option 1 with alphas. Option 2 with modifiers? How will that look with renders?

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 01:23:18 »

Agree.
How about Option 1 with alphas. Option 2 with modifiers? How will that look with renders?

To clarify — light grey legends on alphas and dark grey legends on mods?

Offline kmfmppl

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 01:28:43 »
I like the original concept with the same light colour for both mods and alphas. I'm a sucker for low contrast though. Interchangeability with ASCII is a welcome bonus.

Offline consumer

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 02:31:31 »

Agree.

To clarify — light grey legends on alphas and dark grey legends on mods?

Yes, I think that would work very well.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 04:21:05 »
Here's something to discuss — a few topics from the IC check:

I’m not Best with kits, but i like including ISO people since it only adds like $5 base cost

Added. The majority voted for ISO in base.

Maybe a yellow 2u spacebar in the spacebar kit or 40s kit. Base kit has options for yellow space, but there's nothing for smaller sizes in yellow.

Added yellow bars to Spacebar kit.

I think you should separate the numpad from the base kit to reduce costs.

I won't be doing that in this set (it would save approximately 5 USD on price in this configuration and would cost around 30 as a child kit).

numpad in the black color is offputting, so are the legends that aren't easily understood, I have no association with things like 'Vel' for a key I'd put on my keyboard (alt, control, etc). I think this needs to be re-evaluated, it seems like a set with too many visions it's trying to accomplish. Maybe you need to put the black alphas into the base, not sure but it just strikes me the wrong way

Clarification: It's a dark N9 grey. Legends aren't meant to be easily understood — they're a homage to the DSKY interface for the Apollo Guidance Computer. And we all know where each key is anyway (especially mods; you don't need the proper legends to use them correctly). I'm not sure what the author means by "too many visions” — let me know if you're reading this. N9 alphas are being considered (renders below).

Specifically, I wonder if the base kit should have black-on-white keys instead of white-on-gray, and then perhaps the Lunar Module kit becomes white-on-gray.

Seems like there is a missed opportunity for some BoW

BoW is GMK Minimal. I wouldn't want to make a copy of this kit with different legends. Also, the grey is from the inside of the cockpit where the Apollo Guidance Computer was installed.

There should be a separate numpad kit that matches the rest of the set, or put the dark numpad into a separate kit. I'd like the option available to match the rest of the set.

There could be but I doubt it would hit MOQ.

ISO-FR

Spanish - Latin American

Unfortunately I don't think there will be enough demand for this. 😞

alternate colors for F keys - having them all the same color as the 0-9 keys does not look good on some 75% keyboard where the 0-9 and F keys are one giant grid (i.e. Singa)

Thoughts?

Space at should probably be grey by default, but I think it needs a bit of white too. Yellow arrows are amazing, but would love white enter and escape for example.

White novelties instead of grey.

love your setup so far. I like white accents/novelties because White reminds me of the moon.

Three requests for white novelties. Instead of red? Another colour way? We're getting into an expensive novelty kit here! Thoughts?

I would like to see a 3u space in there for the landing pad kit.  **I have a split space bar on the Vortexgear Cypher and there are NO kits that have a 3.25u space. So the split is a 3u and a 3.25u space bar which I find really convenient, but really inconvenient that there are NO kits for it. If this increases the price of the kits, then I would say forget I mentioned it, but just a thought.

I don't think GMK has molds for these keys.

I would love to see some additions to the 40% ortho which would allow me to use the lunar module and that kit together to have a complete keyboard (I have an iris) 2 more R1 keys would do it! Good luck!

Thoughts? (At this point (according to the survey) there is not enough demand for 40s/ortho to warrant a child kit.)

Option for mods without custom legends.

I would greatly prefer standard legends in the base kit.

Go get GMK ASCII for the regular mods. 😉

Minivan backspace

Can someone clarify which row and size that is?

1. Yellow split space bars could be somewhere? (2.75/2.25). If you put them in the 40's kit, that's cool, me and a coupla other people split up those into 40 ortho split bars and mail each other the subset.

3. If the whole thing was N9, or the numpad became...uh, not 2Bthat's cool too.

5. Every. Single. Time. Mito posts a new godspeed kit, people ask for GMK, he won't do it. Though this isn't a copy, it sure scratches the same itch. I think you have a winner.

Re 1: Added to Spacebar kit.
Re 3: A reverse colour way? I'll consider it. Thoughts?
Re 5: I'm a fan of the Godspeed set. Only appreciated the XDA profile (missed GB unfortunately). Never thought to use it as inspiration for Lunar though — I just focused on the AGC and DSKY.

teeny bit concerned about contrast on the grey keys.

It shouldn't be a problem. It's actually more contrasty then the renders give it credit.

Maybe a bit more yellow keys? Esc, caps, ctrl?

Thoughts?

Might be interested in the dark alphas, just need to see a render first.

Will be added today.

Coleman support

I'd love to do that but there is practically no chance this would hit MOQ.

I would love to see a concept artisan made of copper (not sure if it would look better polished or blasted)

Working on this with Salvun.

Modifiers and function keys kit but in Lunar Module colorway. Basically a new set in the Lunar Module colorway

Is this something you'd like to see? In theory, if there was enough demand, we could do another base set in a reverse colour way with or without a numpad (N9 keys with 2M legends, 2M keys for Numpad with N9 legends).

More novelties, perhaps a NASA logo or stylized NASA logo

Would love to do this, but copyrights/permissions needed. 😞

Maybe a VIM kit if there is enough interest

Anyone?

yes, an assembly kit with these custom text mods please (no to boring blank ergo mods)!

Please add an ergo kit to better support ortholinear and ergonomic boards.

Working on this with MKUltra. No details yet.

A cool lunar landing desk mat

Of course!

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 04:22:41 »
Tried my hand at a few more renders today (still learning so far from perfect or... you know... accurate). I give you what the Lunar Module (N9 alphas) kit could look like...

228690-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 08:34:51 by Moridin »

Offline yaya

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 07:51:47 »
I like the original concept with the same light colour for both mods and alphas. I'm a sucker for low contrast though. Interchangeability with ASCII is a welcome bonus.

Agree.

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 08:07:19 »
I prefer the original concept with lighter alphas as well.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 09:13:41 »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you GMK Modern Dolch Lunar!

228699-0

As per requests from the IC form, this is what N9 mods and 2B alphas would look like. More or less (arrows will have arrows, can't render unicode for some reason).

Also, I made another render of the Lunar Module.

228701-1

Quite frankly, I think the original design was best and the Lunar Module does not work as well as I though it would. Nor do the N9 alphas.

But let me know what you guys think!

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 10:44:13 »

(Attachment Link)

As per requests from the IC form, this is what N9 mods and 2B alphas would look like. More or less (arrows will have arrows, can't render unicode for some reason).

(Attachment Link)

Quite frankly, I think the original design was best and the Lunar Module does not work as well as I though it would. Nor do the N9 alphas.

Keep the mods grey. I still like the Lunar Module kit though. Here's a KLE draft I made of it if for an HHKB layout if I end up buying. I think it looks good.

« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 10:46:04 by Ensaum »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 13:50:49 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Keep the mods grey. I still like the Lunar Module kit though. Here's a KLE draft I made of it if for an HHKB layout if I end up buying. I think it looks good.

Show Image

HHKB is one those layouts that looks amazing always.

Someone on Discord suggested for those people to use the GMK Nines alphas to mix and match. What do you think? An alpha kit would run around 50 USD probably.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 14:03:10 »
I personally wasn't interested in nines so I didn't buy it. Alpha legend color doesn't match at all anyways. I'd rather pay $50 then whatever aftermarket prices land at.