Author Topic: [GB] UK78 - 60%+Numpad [Completed] *UPDATE* PCBs and R2 plan  (Read 188738 times)

Offline speaktobrett

Re: [GB] UK78 - 60%+Numpad - 100% Shipped
« Reply #500 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 21:22:51 »
Has anyone had the issue where they plug their keyboard in and Device Manager gives the following prompt?
"Unknown USB device ( Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

I've tried plugging the UK78 in to both Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC's, with no luck :(

-----

It turns out that the bootloader was wiped! All solved now.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 May 2018, 23:25:50 by speaktobrett »

Offline barcode

Re: [GB] UK78 - 60%+Numpad - Shipping!
« Reply #501 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 11:08:38 »
I think I may have found the issue with QMK too, I had bootmagic turned on by default which could have been causing an issue https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/70gzhh/help_gui_keys_in_qmk_no_longer_opening_windows/.
Just submitting the change to QMK currently.

- Rozakiin
I recently flashed a customized layout and without the bootmagic, it seems the board stays in DFU mode when plugged in. sending a 'reset' thru dfu-programmer or FLIP seems to be enough to get it working but its not something i would want to do every time i replug the board

After some troubleshooting i found that turning bootmagic back on fixed this, tho i'm not entirely sure why it was removed and if there is a preferred way to ensure it boots correctly.

-barcode

Offline vladko95

« Reply #502 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 12:24:23 »
Anyone have an extra PCB for sale? I recently built my UK78 and the “I” switch does not work. Replaced the switch and it still doesn’t work. Checked my soldering and it all looks in order. Anything else I should try? I do have a volt meter maybe I could check it someway if it really is the PCB.

Thanks

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #503 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 12:28:59 »
Anyone have an extra PCB for sale? I recently built my UK78 and the “I” switch does not work. Replaced the switch and it still doesn’t work. Checked my soldering and it all looks in order. Anything else I should try? I do have a volt meter maybe I could check it someway if it really is the PCB.

Thanks

Check the diode, check the keymap if you are using custom firmware, check the switch pads by shorting them together that will let you know if its the switch. If it still doesn't work message me and i will try to help troubleshoot futher.

Offline vladko95

« Reply #504 on: Sat, 15 December 2018, 01:11:53 »
Will do, ill take some pictures of the diode, it might be it. Probably my fault, i have soldered three other keyboards before no problem, but with me re-soldering it may have done damage. Not using custom firmware, using the standard set up that comes with on the board. Checked for continuity in the switch and it works. Will mess around with the keymap and try loading up a new one, ill send you a message if ill be able to get it to work over the weekend.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #505 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 12:27:06 »
Any thoughts on running this GB again? I'd be interested in picking up a second one for work and I'm sure that there are people who missed out ~2 years ago that might want one too.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #506 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 11:01:25 »
Any thoughts on running this GB again? I'd be interested in picking up a second one for work and I'm sure that there are people who missed out ~2 years ago that might want one too.

You just missed the NYM96 Barebones on massdrop. I'm sure that drop will be back in a few months time, seen it a few times. It was $99+ shipping. I think it will still be cheaper than a UK78 with import VAT considered. But I can't speak for the quality comparison, but the reviews seem very promising.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #507 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:13:48 »
But a 96 key board is very different than a 60% + numpad, no?

Offline speaktobrett

« Reply #508 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 17:42:04 »
But a 96 key board is very different than a 60% + numpad, no?

Yes different, and the quality between the UK78 and NYM96 are not the same.

Offline clickstops

« Reply #509 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 15:02:23 »
Hey guys, I have been using my alps orange UK78 as my daily for a couple month and, sadly, seem to have shorted it out by giving it a slight static shock. The top 3 rows don't register at all, even after reflashing, but the bottom 2 rows work fine.

Are there extra PCBs floating around out there? Or any idea what it could be? Thanks!!

Offline forumusername

« Reply #510 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 19:09:45 »
In for more pcbs!

Offline bball2

« Reply #511 on: Sun, 10 March 2019, 21:05:45 »

+1, would definitely be interested if this were run again.

Offline g_mr_p

« Reply #512 on: Mon, 11 March 2019, 17:29:20 »
Yeah, this is a pretty cool layout.  Wish I had been around for it back then...

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #513 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 22:05:20 »

You just missed the NYM96 Barebones on massdrop. I'm sure that drop will be back in a few months time, seen it a few times. It was $99+ shipping. I think it will still be cheaper than a UK78 with import VAT considered. But I can't speak for the quality comparison, but the reviews seem very promising.

LOL, I have a NYM96 too. It's ok, the build quality is nothing special. It was definitely cheaper than what I paid for my UK78, but it doesn't have the underglow and it has the F row which I really don't need at all. I actually have 3 96 key boards now and I wish I had bought another UK78 instead.

Offline Rollie Fingers

« Reply #514 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:01:07 »
Interested as well if we get enough people to warrant a re-drop

Offline AJM

« Reply #515 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 07:37:47 »
I would like a re-drop, too - pretty please.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #516 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 08:19:32 »
Hi everyone!

It has been a while, I have had alot of projects that have taken up my time to dedicate to another GB, but they are finally nearing their completion.

I know there will be many of you that missed out on the first run or just want more keyboards!

Here is a really short informal form to give me a quick idea if it is going to be possible to run this again, all the components of the kit would be changed from R1 since so much has moved on in design in the last few years but it will still retain the same design ideals of the original.

For those of you asking about more PCBs this form is also for you, to see if I am able to do a proper assembled pcb run of spares/replacements.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNNfnILiDaGPWfLIMs4BQeRUeN2t1kcrK0SmWwGnsep-T_hg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Kind Regards,
Rozakiin

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #517 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 12:56:45 »
Hi everyone!

It has been a while, I have had alot of projects that have taken up my time to dedicate to another GB, but they are finally nearing their completion.

I know there will be many of you that missed out on the first run or just want more keyboards!

Here is a really short informal form to give me a quick idea if it is going to be possible to run this again, all the components of the kit would be changed from R1 since so much has moved on in design in the last few years but it will still retain the same design ideals of the original.

For those of you asking about more PCBs this form is also for you, to see if I am able to do a proper assembled pcb run of spares/replacements.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfNNfnILiDaGPWfLIMs4BQeRUeN2t1kcrK0SmWwGnsep-T_hg/viewform?usp=sf_link

Kind Regards,
Rozakiin

yessir

Offline forumusername

Re: [GB] UK78 - 60%+Numpad [Completed] *NEW* R2 IC
« Reply #518 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 20:14:08 »
In for both, new pcbs and a round 2!!!!!

Offline mankikami

« Reply #519 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 21:26:48 »
Yes yes please make it happen, this is my desired layout  :D

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #520 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 12:36:16 »
Definitely still interested in another round of this. Would like to see the price stay as close to the original as possible.

Offline Mrcookiejar

« Reply #521 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 12:19:04 »
I have an extra board with the acrylic body if anyone needs one and doesn’t want to wait for the group buy ❤️

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #522 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 16:05:46 »
Hi everyone!

Kind Regards,
Rozakiin

Cool! Would the 1800 case still be on the menu in some form?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Traveler

« Reply #523 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 22:41:12 »
If there is a Round 2, it might be a good idea to revise the PCB quite a bit. Maybe mine was just a dud, but I had several issues with power delivery when using in-switch LEDs. I soft-bricked my board a few times and had to reprogram it with an Arduino.

What made things significantly harder though is that the microcontroller pinouts are directly underneath the switch plate, so you either have to carefully cut through the plate or desolder the entire board. I guess carefully sliding wires between the plate and the PCB might work too, but I imagine getting a good connection would be very difficult.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #524 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 05:06:42 »
Where is the R2 IC?  ;D

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #525 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 05:52:55 »
Where is the R2 IC?  ;D

Same form for both, just chose no for the pcb question.

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #526 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 05:56:20 »
If there is a Round 2, it might be a good idea to revise the PCB quite a bit. Maybe mine was just a dud, but I had several issues with power delivery when using in-switch LEDs. I soft-bricked my board a few times and had to reprogram it with an Arduino.

What made things significantly harder though is that the microcontroller pinouts are directly underneath the switch plate, so you either have to carefully cut through the plate or desolder the entire board. I guess carefully sliding wires between the plate and the PCB might work too, but I imagine getting a good connection would be very difficult.

Pcb has already been revised more times than i can count, there did seem to be a higher issue rate with the at90 chips in the original pcbs than usual. The new pcb would most likely use the at32u4. ISP pinout has also changed so its accessible from the bottom.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #527 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 06:10:30 »
Where is the R2 IC?  ;D

which is the form? I just see a spreadsheet. 
To be clear, i wasn't in for R1, i just want to partecipate in R2. 

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
« Reply #528 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 06:48:24 »
Where is the R2 IC?  ;D

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #529 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 06:52:47 »
Where is the R2 IC?  ;D

Thanks, i would suggest to add some other questions, e.g. the email.

Also, i replied 250-300GBP, but i would totally pay more or less depending on the final design or material used. E.g consider brass please, maybe that glass/pc/acrylic bottom with brass feets? :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 October 2019, 06:54:41 by KaosJ »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #530 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 05:01:05 »
Honestly I'm really hoping an R2 GB drops. This is the layout I've been dreaming of for work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline clickstops

« Reply #531 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 09:38:58 »
Just seeing this -- I've been wanting a new PCB for my board for a while now. Mine was bricked in the middle of use from static! I've been wondering what I can do about it since it's one of my favorite boards, especially build all nicely with alps orange.

Any updates rozaa?

I wanna use this thing again!

Offline MMKB

« Reply #532 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 11:43:41 »
Just seeing this -- I've been wanting a new PCB for my board for a while now. Mine was bricked in the middle of use from static! I've been wondering what I can do about it since it's one of my favorite boards, especially build all nicely with alps orange.

Any updates rozaa?

Oh man, the desk & view are so calming! Hope you could get another PCB, even a custom one if not from Round 2

Offline barcode

« Reply #533 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 12:06:01 »

Any updates rozaa?

I had a similar situation, a bit of static shock to the case and the board was no longer responsive. I was able to re-program it with QMK but some of the underglow rgb LEDs no longer work. I tried replacing the first failing one in the chain but it didnt seem to help. At any rate, its worrying enough that i've decided not to use it as my daily driver, which is unfortunate.

Prior to the shock, i noticed the same LEDs would rapidly flash between random colors while the system was asleep. Didnt happen every time but worrying nonetheless.

I don't know how much such a shock would affect a keyboard. perhaps its not got enough grounding thru the USB or the fact that the case is essentially a ring makes it impart a lot of EMF to the internals (theorycrafting here). I do know that at the same time i've delivered similar shocks to a macbook with no effect so far as i can tell. I realize that its not good for any electronic components, but the office I was in at the time was very prone to static.

-barcode

Offline clickstops

« Reply #534 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 18:55:30 »
Thanks for the reply, and both encouraging and discouraging to hear you also had a static situation. I tried reprogramming it but nothing worked. Couldn't find any fried anything on the board, either.

I've static shocked many, many aluminum cases and never had anything like this happen. I had just chalked it up to bad luck.

Offline forumusername

« Reply #535 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 21:05:56 »

Offline Elefantine

« Reply #536 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 04:58:09 »
I'd be keen for R2!
Would be especially keen for the full base this time round if it makes MOQ.

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #537 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 17:44:23 »
Just filled out the form, but yes for an R2!  This is the layout I have been searching for, that I never knew existed!

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #538 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 02:55:43 »
Would definitely be interested in an R2. The layout is perfect for a workhorse board.

Offline Monkeyface91

« Reply #539 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 15:51:55 »
I would be interested in a R2 aswell!

Offline mutthunt

« Reply #540 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 12:05:51 »
I will post my interest as well, really been struggling finding a good ISO keyboard recently.

Filled out the form also

Offline unfunfununf

« Reply #541 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 06:35:12 »
Also interested in an R2. :)

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #542 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 11:49:30 »
need an r2 - at least for a pcb but a full board wouldnt hurt either. this is still my favorite board but i cant get it flashed due to error NEED

Offline rozakiin

• British Custom Anyone?
    • UK Keyboards
Re: [GB] UK78 - 60%+Numpad [Completed] *UPDATE* PCBs and R2 plan
« Reply #543 on: Mon, 08 June 2020, 08:12:55 »
Hi everyone,

Apologies for such a delay in responses, it has been quite the busy and disruptive year, as many of you I'm sure will also know!
My plan going forward is to focus on those of you who need PCBs for your UK78s. I aim to setup that group buy this summer. I am not looking to make money of it but just help out those who are unable to currently use their keyboards for whatever reason.
Once everyone from R1 is dealt with I will start research on the best solution to provide a R2 of the UK78. I don't have the time to solo run the group buy like last time.

Kind Regards and best wishes to everyone in these strange times,
Rozakiin

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #544 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 01:09:23 »
Yaasss to the PCB GB

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #545 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 17:49:11 »
After searching for months, I've finally found my dream layout - and it's the UK78! Absolutely 100% in for a round 2.

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #546 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 20:06:00 »
After searching for months, I've finally found my dream layout - and it's the UK78! Absolutely 100% in for a round 2.

Yup! Can't believe I haven't seen this till now

I'm in for a R2! Also in for a PCB. I might make an acrylic case for it =)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 June 2020, 19:52:48 by FRANCO »

Offline Elefantine

« Reply #547 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 10:58:41 »
Would be down for R2 as well! Regretting not getting the full metal base in R1 so hopefully it makes MOQ if it runs again.

Offline Maniac

« Reply #548 on: Tue, 29 September 2020, 05:59:36 »
Hey count me in! Would love one of these in my collection :)

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #549 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 13:12:07 »
if a revised PCB was to be introduced, i would also be interested in a R2 for the 96% board.  :cool: