Author Topic: 5 pin tactile switch (gateron brown alternatives)  (Read 3292 times)

Offline hmuny99

5 pin tactile switch (gateron brown alternatives)
« on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 03:40:39 »
Hi guys, i'm just wondering, what alternatives do i have from gateron browns if i want a 5 pin switch (unfortunely i use a hotswap board and i have some misalignment issues with the 3 pin gaterons).

Offline yui

Re: 5 pin tactile switch (gateron brown alternatives)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 04:39:33 »
from a quick google search gateron seems to make both 3 and 5 pins version of the brown switches and i think that kailh box brown only exist in 5 pins. i do think that all other brand of brown exists in both version but i may not be right, i am not a big fan of browns, too light, so my knowledge of them is only basic.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline hmuny99

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 04:54:22 »
from a quick google search gateron seems to make both 3 and 5 pins version of the brown switches and i think that kailh box brown only exist in 5 pins. i do think that all other brand of brown exists in both version but i may not be right, i am not a big fan of browns, too light, so my knowledge of them is only basic.

what would you suggest instead of a brown?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 09:49:42 »
1. BOX Browns exist mainly as 3-pin switches in my understanding. Mine are 3-pin, I've never seen a 5-pin BOX Brown in person.

2. Aliaz is 5-pin. Aliaz is basically a Gateron Silent Brown. I had to clip the pins off mine to fit in a 3-pin hotswap socket. If you want something like a Gateron Brown, just buy Aliaz 60 G.

3. If you don't want to go with Browns, you'd be experimenting with more tactile switches. MX Clear / Ergo Clear mod available as 5-pin, as are Zealio/Zilent, OUTEMU Sky, and T1.

Offline hmuny99

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 03:55:01 »
About the outemu sky, are the silent forest some hybrids with the sky stem? I'd like to avoid any kind of modding (for now, since in europe is really tough to get krytox and currently i have only some generic teflon grease available)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 07:27:48 »
The Silent Forest is just another name for the Silent Sky.

You can buy them as complete switches from AliExpress and maybe other places.

They will need lubing for best results, though.