Author Topic: What did you find today? (e-cycler, thrift store, dumpster & garage sale finds!)  (Read 35483 times)

Offline brainT

A couple Model M's with funky keycaps:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
A pretty gross Leading Edge KB with SMK MX mount switches.

Feels really weird. It feels very tactile if I press the key slowly, but when I type on it at full speed the tactility pretty much goes away and it's more akin to an MX Brown.

Offline kaje

NMB RT-101+ with beige Space Invader tactile switches.

Cleaned up:

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Got a hookup with a guy who takes in broken computers and builds up working PCs and donates them to disabled combat vets. He's got multiple storage units full of computer equipment so I can only imagine there are a bunch of vintage mech boards in there. He was happy to let me search around one of his storage units today and I snagged a blue label model M (he even let me have it for free!). Looking forward to seeing what else he has when I've got some more spare time.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Got a hookup with a guy who takes in broken computers and builds up working PCs and donates them to disabled combat vets. He's got multiple storage units full of computer equipment so I can only imagine there are a bunch of vintage mech boards in there. He was happy to let me search around one of his storage units today and I snagged a blue label model M (he even let me have it for free!). Looking forward to seeing what else he has when I've got some more spare time.

Damn, that will be cool.  Hopefully you make some fun Alps discoveries.  #AlpsHipster4Life

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Went to a recycler in the Bay last weekend..just a bunch of domers and junk, but it's always fun anyways :D

Offline gogusrl

Just got this combo of 6 keyboards for ~60$
His description was :
1. IBM 1390714. missing keys
2.  Bunker Ramo 125-600389
3. Vendex P/N 112763-001. XT connector
4. Unitek K-151L.
5. Junior XT (Hall effect)
6. terminal keyboard VDT-52S/microcomputer Cub-Z.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Just got this combo of 6 keyboards for ~60$
His description was :
1. IBM 1390714. missing keys
2.  Bunker Ramo 125-600389
3. Vendex P/N 112763-001. XT connector
4. Unitek K-151L.
5. Junior XT (Hall effect)
6. terminal keyboard VDT-52S/microcomputer Cub-Z.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Welcome to Geekhack!

An interesting way to start a keyboard collection ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline gogusrl

Hehe thx, didn't even notice that was my first post here. Guess I've been more active on DT. Still a beginner, buying everything I can get my hands on to check everything out.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
found this baby at the trash place, don't have a clue what it is but it has really nice tactile feels

HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
NMB rubber dome AFAIK, not a bad one for sure.

Offline silas1128

Found this guy a few days ago...

http://imgur.com/a/IVCoK

Offline Fnzzy

Went to a thrift shop today and found a Cherry G80-1000HAD with MX Blacks for 2€. Comes with german double shots and a missing F1 key. And those blacks feel so incredibly smooth!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Went to a thrift shop today and found a Cherry G80-1000HAD with MX Blacks for 2€. Comes with german double shots and a missing F1 key. And those blacks feel so incredibly smooth!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

now that's a freaking score! nice job man!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

good basis for a custom keyboard project. you got smooth switches and nice keycaps... and that for 2Euro... good find.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

dang man, nice find!
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
good basis for a custom keyboard project. you got smooth switches and nice keycaps... and that for 2Euro... AWE$OME find.

ftfy :D

Offline Fnzzy

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

good basis for a custom keyboard project. you got smooth switches and nice keycaps... and that for 2Euro... good find.

It's my third Cherry double shot set now. I have one ANSI and two ISO sets. But at least I got some smooth blacks and some extra stabilizers that I can use for future projects (planning on building a Viper and a NerD 60).

It was hard to stay calm in the thrift shop when I saw it lying around in a box with the mx black exposed.  :thumb:

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
I "recovered" this big ass swintec typewriter from disposal, I don't know much about it but the caps were cool..Too bad they're too big for cherry mx, hah.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dang, at that price, it's certainly a great deal! Nice find! Are the switches vintage blacks or normal blacks? o.o
I "recovered" this big ass swintec typewriter from disposal, I don't know much about it but the caps were cool..Too bad they're too big for cherry mx, hah.

Show Image

Show Image

I like the caps a lot! Too bad they don't fit :( Any idea what switches are on the typewriter?

edit: Multi-quoted a extra post.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Haul from this past weekend:

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome! Nice ALPS caps, and is that a Model F XT?
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Yup, tons of good Alps stuff. Blue Alps, SGI, AEK and old white T-mount. '86 and '88 NIB Model Ms were a nice surprise. The XT F got dropped in the parking lot but I was going to use it for parts anyway.

I'm pretty stoked on the PVM too.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

Show Image

Show Image

IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jacobolus

Yup, tons of good Alps stuff. Blue Alps, SGI, AEK and old white T-mount. '86 and '88 NIB Model Ms were a nice surprise. The XT F got dropped in the parking lot but I was going to use it for parts anyway.
Where’d you get it?

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
I finally can add something to this thread! :)
On Saturday i went to the thrift store and found me a Swedish model M for 1zł (about 0,25$).

It was horribly dirty and missing the "9" key, but had original ps/2 cable :)

Before:

Aftuh:

All in all a fully functional model M for a miniature amount of money :)

Btw: Any clues about the fact that the numpad legens are violet O,o?

Ps: Does anyone have a spare "9" key?:P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
An excellent find - congratulations!

No idea why the legends were a different colour - fading, perhaps?  Although unlikely as the primary legends are still black.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
An excellent find - congratulations!

No idea why the legends were a different colour - fading, perhaps?  Although unlikely as the primary legends are still black.

Thanks! :) I was really happy to find and clean it :)

As for the legends...now that you mentioned it they do look faded instead of violet O,o wierd that other legends did not fade

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
*FINALLY* I spot something even worth mentioning. I didn't pick these up but I did find them:

Compaq Rubber Dome with a weird and cool layout

IBM Selectric Correcting II - I *really* wanted this but it's missing parts and the keyboard seemed jammed.

Keytronic with really nice rubber domes. Didn't wear well though because the home row felt linear compared to the very nice tactile bump on the rest of the keys.

I did pick this up for real cheap though :D

Offline Touch_It

Nothing...again.  Vice city though brings back a lot of memories :). I'd also like to tulle on a selectric some day

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Jotokun

Today was a good day.

Gateway 2000. Rubber dome, with cherry compatible doubleshots.

Goldtouch KeyOvation. Really light rubberdomes.

IBM Wheelwriter. The typewriter part is broken, but I'm hoping I can yank the keyboard off and get it going standalone.

Wyse ASCII. Aside from a damaged space bar stabilizer, this thing is remarkably clean. Cherry blacks, beautiful doubleshot keycaps.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Are your Gateway doubleshots?  I have a similar Gateway keyboard and although MX compatible, they are not doubleshots (from what I remember).

Offline Jotokun

Are your Gateway doubleshots?  I have a similar Gateway keyboard and although MX compatible, they are not doubleshots (from what I remember).

Yep

They're the same profile as the Wyse caps, and the alphanumerics seem to have the same font. Deskthority's wiki says the Wyse caps were made by Signature Plastics, wouldn't be surprised if these Gateways were as well.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Yep

Show Image

Show Image

They're the same profile as the Wyse caps, and the alphanumerics seem to have the same font. Deskthority's wiki says the Wyse caps were made by Signature Plastics, wouldn't be surprised if these Gateways were as well.

Lucky you!

I checked mine - definitely not DS.

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
Not thrift but pretty much dumpster find

Got some of the g81-3000 my company was getting rid of (don't ask why capless, they needed 1u caps for promotion stuff...just don't ask).

Two of them still had lasered german caps (YAY). And the rest will be left for modding i guess :P (there is about 15 shells in there)

Problem is i kinda sorta started to enjoy the MY :P

Offline SixtyLife

Not thrift but pretty much dumpster find

Show Image

Got some of the g81-3000 my company was getting rid of (don't ask why capless, they needed 1u caps for promotion stuff...just don't ask).

Two of them still had lasered german caps (YAY). And the rest will be left for modding i guess :P (there is about 15 shells in there)

Problem is i kinda sorta started to enjoy the MY :P

lol nice.. I just tried white MYs for the first time a few weeks ago. thinking about it makes me shudder :D
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Solid haul from this morning:
Options '94, Lexmark '93 and an IBM '88
Northgate Omnikey
Sony BVM and PVM

and a complimentary lady bug 🐞

Offline BlueNalgene

This thread has been quiet for a month, time to apply necromancy.

I was walking to work today, and there is a thrift store en route.  I found something outside that was half off that I just couldn't live without.

I paid $4 for this ugly ass chair.  It was a ***** to carry home, too.  No clue if it works.  I might be just as happy if it doesn't, since I have a small pile of practice amp parts that need a home.  I can't wait to get home and test it.  Amazon says it was probably a good deal.

Offline KH

• My fotki pics
That's a nice chair! Not ugly at all!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Looks like something out of Star Trek!

Offline BlueNalgene

That's a nice chair! Not ugly at all!

Looks like something out of Star Trek!

The power supply connection was bad, so I did a little light soldering and it works.  The sound quality is good, though the phono jack has a lot of static.  Thankfully the RCA audio are in good condition. 

It is super uncomfortable to me though.  There is something inside that hits me in the middle of the back.  It is kinda low for a computer chair, and I don't have a console to game on using it, let alone a TV. 

Clearly there is only one option.  I'm going to tear the ****er apart, restuff the thing, add in some speakers I harvested from some practice amps, throw in some better amp hardware, hardwire the power cable, and put some rollers on it.  I needed a new desk chair anyway.  Might as well pimp it out like there is no tomorrow.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
sadbox and I hit one of our go-to spots this weekend, came up with some good stuff, pictures to come.

Offline sadbox

• life coaching since 1990
    • sadbox dot org
Bad news first:
A Datalux spacesaver with MEI switches. Cost me $20. I didn't have the heart to haggle after hearing the price for the other board.

And the wonderful:
An awesome condition Model F AT for $10.

Bonus Points:
jwaz with the loot and some grumpy old dude behind him.

« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2015, 00:57:01 by sadbox »
Work: Topre Realforce + CST L-Trac
Home: QFR (Blues, Blank Black PBT caps) + CST L-Trac-X

Offline Mooksie

Sweet finds. That pic is hilarious.
we use up all the cupholders during our furious love making sessions

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
bahahah I look so nonplussed about the whole thing.

we got the dealz though, any bay area fools that want to come kick and buy sweet keyboards for no money should get at me :))

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
haha, that's an awesome pic, swagged out with keyboard treasures on bart.

I might have to change my avatar to that old farts pic too.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
haha, that's an awesome pic, swagged out with keyboard treasures on bart.

I might have to change my avatar to that old farts pic too.

:)) YES. can this be a thing now?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
ROFL Jwaz, you look absurd in that picture.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
ROFL Jwaz, you look absurd in that picture.

I know. I am not so photogenic -,-

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
Jwaz is actually the old guy