Author Topic: [Mildly Interesting] IBM Model w/ Tactical Calculator Attachment - eBay  (Read 2674 times)

Offline JP

This keyboard has some neat colored keys and a calculator attached to the case somehow. I wonder if the calculator was an option provided by IBM or just something someone stuck on. Still a neat accessory. The part number is just a run of the mill Model M. Also the price quite steep at $180 and is definitely not new as the seller claims.

181760-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-M-101-Keyboard-1391401-in-Great-Condition-FRU-1392090-ID-7683749-1992/311998003289?epid=530091212&hash=item48a487b859:g:Q28AAOSwUchaAeDN
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [Mildly Interesting] IBM Model w/ Tactical Calculator Attachment - eBay
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 19:55:10 »
Seller doesn't explicitly mention the calculator - I'm guessing superglue.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 22:08:33 »
I remember that calculator!  It was a thing you could buy in some places like dalco and computer shopper to attach to a keyboard.  We really wanted to do this to our original M, but luckily we never did. :D

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 04:23:38 »
It's a tactical calculator!  Like when you need tactical support, in the field and stuff.  Of course real men use an assault calculator...

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 05:42:36 »
This model m just needs a picatinny rail system for more attachments.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 01:45:58 »
The color keys look like Unicomps—notice how the font's a bit smaller? Still a nice look though.

So you're sure that's a tactical calculator? Not a strategic one? I guess it would depend on whether you were using the keyboard in a project's planning stage or its execution. Intriguing, these vintage-y subtleties.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 09:39:24 »
So you're sure that's a tactical calculator? Not a strategic one? I guess it would depend on whether you were using the keyboard in a project's planning stage or its execution. Intriguing, these vintage-y subtleties.
:))  But what if you're being strategically tactical when calculating? (try saying that 3 times fast) ;D