Author Topic: HELP: Logitech TrackMan Marble FX Trackball RED BUTTON  (Read 10858 times)

Offline purpletiesto

HELP: Logitech TrackMan Marble FX Trackball RED BUTTON
« on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 21:11:50 »
So I've finally made a switch to a trackball, which so far I'm loving. I bought a second hand Logitech TrackMan Marble FX at a very reasonable price (basically new http://i.imgur.com/Ie2BLIB.jpg). So I love this thing, felt comfortable after about 2 hours.

Anyway, it has 4 buttons, left, middle, right and then a MYSTERIOUS RED BUTTON. I'm using MarbleScroll, which was a small utility designed to help trackballs without a scrollwheel emulate this by holding down a mouse button and using the trackball. It's very effective, also.

I've tried connecting it to my BLUECUBE PS2 -> USB converter, the trackballs wasn't even picked up by my computer. I then attached it to some el cheapo PS2 -> USB adapter and it hardly tracked and the mysterious red button didn't function at all. Then I connected it to the Belkin belkin f5u119-e, 2 x PS2 -> USB converser, which I currently use for my IBM M13 trackpoint and it tracks really well, except the red button is giving me this funn behaviour.

But ... I really don't know how to get the RED BUTTON to work. When I press the button the curser jumps up and left and when I released it, the curser jumps further left. It's really weird. Now from what I understand, no one has gotten this to work, or nowhere I've read anywhere, but I'm sure that if anyone know, it's a fellow GHer.

I tried installing x-mouse, don't really think that does anything for it. I tried installing the Logitech drivers in compatibility mode, nothing. Tried other usb ports, nada. EVEN tried restarting lol. I tried using some different utilities online which will tell you which event is performed on click of a keyboard or mouse .. nada.

Any help is appreciated.

PT

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: HELP: Logitech TrackMan Marble FX Trackball RED BUTTON
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 02:41:22 »
Do you have a system with native PS/2? You know, for testing at least. I think it's a protocol limitation with these converters.

Offline purpletiesto

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 07:31:49 »
Unfortunately, I don't have a machine with native ps/2. I don't know but I assume it works fine since something is definitely happening but I don't know what. From what I've gathered so far, only linux users have gotten it to work.

Is there any program anyone knows about which can log the event of a mouse click? I'm struggling to find one, I've found plenty for keyboards, though.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 09:58:49 »
Sounds like the workings of a fun active converter project. You could write a linux iso to a thumb drive and poke around a bit. A native PS/2 port at the very least would probably help in determining the outputs

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:27:43 »
I use a Trackman FX myself (have for years and years), can check tomorrow what I use to enable the buttons.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:40:14 »
Actually, just checked - I use Setpoint 6.61 and X-Mouse 2.7.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.