Author Topic: Topre is Apple; Cherry is Android  (Read 12228 times)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Topre is Apple; Cherry is Android
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:12:56 »
Let's either get this back on track, or the thread's on it's way for a lock.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:14:14 »
They'll spy anything so why bother. If they want to see my **** i guess they could even if i never took a picture of it. Anyway what do i have to hide? I'm a silly 21 y/o engineering student that has little to no money, i don't do illegal stuff and i pay my bills and ****. I don't really care if some fuking lowlife american NSA employee wants to see my records or my facebook profil picture; he has nothing to gain from me. He'll never impact my life, he's just a fatass fake-ass hacker with so much ressources he could do anything else but would rather work on a low-end morally-wrong firm.
'I've Got Nothing to Hide' and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:18:36 »
Oh, the lovely Potemkin villages.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:21:07 »
Oh, the lovely Potemkin villages.
As in, when the mods lock all the threads where people are just straight trolling, it keeps the forum looking nice?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:38:10 »
Ever been to Deskthority? The website, where threads don't disappear, don't get locked and people don't receive warnings for posts *weeks* old without getting pmd.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:40:57 »
This was fairly off topic to begin with, but has now reached ultimate lack of topic.  As such, it was moved.

Carry on.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:54:25 »
Dear mods,

Even if this thread went super side-track, we are:
- Not insulting each other
- Having a nice conversation
- Debating on real stuff that is actually super interesting
- Loving each other. <3
- Answering each other with due respect
- Actually enjoying to see some people be with or against things.

Please don't lock this thread it's my flavourite of the day :[

I understand it went full sidetrack not keyboard related but i guess it's still some enjoyable geeky stuff that we are all aware of (most of us work in the computer world). It's been a long time i have no been able to talk IT with some smart people so please don't kill mah vibe :o

Many thanks and hope you can keep it alive or move this thread into other geeky stuff so we can keep having our peacefull and respectfull solution.

Kind Regards,
Quardah.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:57:45 »
This was fairly off topic to begin with, but has now reached ultimate lack of topic.  As such, it was moved.

Carry on.

OH IT WAS MOVED

Nice.

Now we can continue our nice and peacefull discussion.

But i don't know where we were beforehand.

"Razer by contrast makes basically the same thing as a bunch of other companies, with average-to-below-average build quality using almost entirely off-the-shelf parts."

Totally Agree.

"DIYers on geekhack have done more to push user input devices forward in the last 3-4 years than all the peripheral companies combined."

Also agree.

Damn this thread went glorious.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:58:05 »
I have no intentions of locking the thread at this point, I just see no purpose to having it in the 'keyboards' subforum, as it is now a discussion about phones.  As long as everyone plays nice, it won't be locked.  :p  Just moved to off topic.   :thumb:

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 13:58:51 »
I have no intentions of locking the thread at this point, I just see no purpose to having it in the 'keyboards' subforum, as it is now a discussion about phones.  As long as everyone plays nice, it won't be locked.  :p  Just moved to off topic.   :thumb:

u dah reel mvp :']

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:39:18 »
Having said that, I find Android to be a low quality product that I do not enjoy using at all. If you do, more power to ya.

Funny cause I was thinking the same thing about iphones, vs my HTC ONE...

Android is an operating system.

iPhones and HTC Ones are Smartphones.

Totally different things, he's stating he does not enjoy the operating system on the devices. Not that the device itself is cheap.

Also you can thank Apple for pushing the metal-phone era. Beforehand it was cheap plastic, and they had to adapt. Not saying HTC is bad (I have to say, maybe the best hardware in android devices available) but gotta defenetly give ceasar his laurel.

Yes, but unlike IOS there's many flavors of android HTC One+'s implementation is quite nice, without narrowing it down to a specific version on android it's really hard to compare the two priducts.  I don't care so much that the phone is metal, just that the sound and build, screen, call qulity seem vastly superior to apples phones, the Camera is comparable but different.  Seems everyone I know with an apple eventually breaks the screen pretty quickl and the OS is pretty locked down.

I do think topre is more locked down than mx, and where do you go to buy your topre board?  Oh thats right theres really only one place to get them, just like apple, but there are quite a few varieties now and theya re moddable so it's not apples to apples comparison.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 16:41:26 by Justintoxicated »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 03:40:24 »
I never leave things as they are out of the box if there is something that annoys me that I know I can fix. Or overclock. Or just generally improve in some small way that matters to me.

I void warranties pretty much as soon as I've confirmed the device works as advertised.

So Android suits me more than iOS, MX suits me more than Topre, PC suits me more than Mac.

I'm sure there are people out there who prefer the "It just works" products of Apple and Topre (at least when they really do just work) and are willing to pay for that, but not me. I guess there are some people that are somewhere in between, who'll customise some of their gear, but not others, due to where their interests lie.

That's why I drive a 33 year old car that I love and puts a smile on my face every time I drive, use a phone that does just what I want it to without any annoyances, have a keyboard that looks, feels and sounds just the way I like, etc. It takes a fair amount of effort at the start, but the rewards and long term satisfaction are worth it. An added bonus is that I can fix practically anything that goes wrong with any of my stuff myself.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 04:00:32 »
so what could it be with Windows Phone :v build like a tank, but not so popular...
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 05:02:03 »
so what could it be with Windows Phone :v build like a tank, but not so popular...

Maybe no-one wants to walk around with a tank in their pocket?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 05:34:07 »

Maybe no-one wants to walk around with a tank in their pocket?

Nah, it's just irrelevant... A Windows phone is like... a rubberdome IBM board. Big brand name, alright to use, but not up there with the true mechanicals.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 06:28:45 »
So are Kalih Nokia?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 06:32:09 »
So are Kalih Nokia?

Nokia would be buckling springs.  Not the best looking option but never seems to die.

Now that I think about it Kaliah I would liken to Blackberry.  Nothing bad per say about them and really tries to make a good product but just can't quite seal the deal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 July 2014, 06:33:53 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:24:15 »
but, but, Nokia makes the most WP phones :(
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:51:30 »
but, but, Nokia makes the most WP phones :(

I was thinking of the old Nokias that looked like a brick and lasted about as long.  I think I have yet to see one of those broke to the point that it wouldn't work aside from the membranes that cost $3 to replace.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 08:53:34 »
yeah I always have one of those immortal phone to use as back up, I do all the internet **** on the smart phone and make phone call on them bricks :))
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline barkinos98

• Illinois
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 06:50:49 »
I am kinda in the middle man, I use a G710 with MX Browns because i love browns and back then i wanted backlighting, and im also using the new One M8 not because I like android (i absolutely hate it) but because of the hardware. I'm poor so i never even tried topre but overall I love apple but only apple stuff i have are the keyboard, ipad mini and a 3yo macbook pro :/

I'm hunting the classifieds for a topre board under $200 and i'm just going to buy one if i find such board.
Happy Hacking Professional 2  | Logitech G710+ | Quickfire Rapid MX Clears

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 13:06:30 »
I am kinda in the middle man, I use a G710 with MX Browns because i love browns and back then i wanted backlighting, and im also using the new One M8 not because I like android (i absolutely hate it) but because of the hardware. I'm poor so i never even tried topre but overall I love apple but only apple stuff i have are the keyboard, ipad mini and a 3yo macbook pro :/

I'm hunting the classifieds for a topre board under $200 and i'm just going to buy one if i find such board.
You don't really need to hunt classifieds lol.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=522

Offline barkinos98

• Illinois
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:28:44 »

You don't really need to hunt classifieds lol.
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=522

Oh nice man, topre for price of high end MX keyboard... lol
Happy Hacking Professional 2  | Logitech G710+ | Quickfire Rapid MX Clears

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 22:58:11 »
I'm Realforce and Nexus master android here.

Although recently google's just gone to **** and I find myself wanting to switch back to Apple ... except you know the lack of integration for anything non apple.
Maybe if Microsoft and partners successfully makes a phone that doesn't devalue in 3 months.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 07:05:54 »
I'm Realforce and Nexus master android here.

Although recently google's just gone to **** and I find myself wanting to switch back to Apple ... except you know the lack of integration for anything non apple.
Maybe if Microsoft and partners successfully makes a phone that doesn't devalue in 3 months.

Microsoft in 2014:
Failed OS
Failed Console
Failed Tablet program

I've stopped expecting stuff from them since Ballmer lol

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX