Author Topic: [IC] Vintage typewriter inspired cap sets  (Read 34845 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
[IC] Vintage typewriter inspired cap sets
« on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 20:00:55 »
A little while ago I made a thread of me goofing around with some key cap ideas that were inspired by old typewriters.  Since some people seemed genuinely interested in them, I decided to do an interest check and see what people thought.

This isn't something I'll be able to undertake quite yet since I'll need to get an SP color ring to confirm the colors together, I'll have to get quotes, and I'll have to do some research on whether I want to set up a DBA or something else for tax reasons (though I plan on it being non-profit like my last one).  I may also hit up Bunny and/or i3oilermaker to see about running it through them.  So don't expect this super soon, it's just something I want to test and see how people feel.

Lastly, if you know 3D software and wanted to help out with making renders from these files, you'd be my hero.

Interest Check Form

Each set will come with a `~ and \| cap in both Alpha and Mods colors so you can choose symmetry or tradition.  In the case of the Princess/Signature/Smith Corona sets, there will be a red Tab, Backspace, and += cap so that you can choose which of the inspired layouts you want.

Princess 300 - SP colors RAS, WCK, BX

More

Signature 511 - SP colors BFT, RAS, GTL

More

Smith Corona - SP colors BEY, RAS, WA

Alternate layouts:

More

Triumph De Jur Perfekt - SP colors WCK, TAA, TBN, VAV

Royal Apollo GT 10 - SP colors GT, YL, WCK, GSP, YCC, GTA (probably do grey alphas and grey legends the same grey or do orange on cream, but needed some more contrast in the small picture)

Underwood Universal - SP colors VAF, WA, GBA

For special legends, I was thinking a small typewriter and maybe something like this Royal logo since more than a few were royal inspired.  I don't have quiet the talent to make something, so I'd need some help and am more than willing to take suggestions.  We could also do a Code key.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:50:48 by nubbinator »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: [IC] Vintage typewriter inspired cap sets
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:35:48 »
No interest in any of these color ways?  If not, I guess I'll sadly take them with me and hope something comes along similar in the future.  I'm partial to the Underwood Universal and Princess 300.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:37:19 by nubbinator »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:43:58 »
No interest in any of these color ways?  If not, I guess I'll sadly take them with me and hope something comes along similar in the future.  I'm partial to the Underwood Universal and Princess 300.

Hey, I'm interested because you can do a set in SA Profile that mimic the actual typewriter keys themselves.  Please say you won't be sticking with DCS only?

I love the look of old typewriter keys because I use to have some back in the olden days where typewriters were only available and no such thing as Computers.  Damn infernal PC's  >:( .

It was so much easier when all you needed was a sheet of white A4 letter sized paper to get a message out  :thumb: .

I like your Royal Apollo GT 10 colour-way because no one has done that colour combo yet.....plus I always liked the Royal over most other typewriters.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:47:24 by Elrick »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:47:40 »

I'm not sure what was going on, but I didn't see this thread until you posted this response. A possible bug in the forum software? Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, I love the Princess 300. I'm just so-so on the others.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:50:16 »
Hey, I'm interested because you can do a set in SA Profile that mimic the actual typewriter keys themselves.  Please say you won't be sticking with DCS only?

I love the look of old typewriter keys because I use to have some back in the olden days where typewriters were only available and no such thing as Computers.  Damn infernal PC's  >:( .

It was so much easier when all you needed was a sheet of white A4 letter sized paper to get a message out  :thumb: .

I like your Royal Apollo GT 10 colour-way because no one has done that colour combo yet.....plus I always liked the Royal over most other typewriters.

Since all the typewriters that inspired the sets were low or lower profile keys, I was planning DSA or DCS only.  And, to be honest, I really hate SA profile, so I was looking at doing profiles I'd like if I was going to run it.  That said, if there's enough interest and if DCS and/or DSA can hit the second or third pricing tier without SA cannibalizing one of those profiles, I'd consider adding it.

I really like the Apollo GT 10 too, but something about the Underwood Universal makes it my favorite.

I'm not sure what was going on, but I didn't see this thread until you posted this response. A possible bug in the forum software? Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, I love the Princess 300. I'm just so-so on the others.

Weird.  I know I've been having some weird approval issues of late, first with my Taobao thread in great finds, then with this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:52:56 by nubbinator »

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 20:54:44 »
I'm with you, Dubs. Really like the princess, smith corona, and the last one.

Would like edox kits  :blank:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:06:39 »
Smith corona yes please I'd buy one to match mine

The royal one and the underwood one are awesome too.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:20:01 »
Since all the typewriters that inspired the sets were low or lower profile keys, I was planning DSA or DCS only.

I really like the Apollo GT 10 too, but something about the Underwood Universal makes it my favorite.

That's fine if you want the recent typewriter profiles because those that you mentioned only appeared towards the end of their lifetime. I was thinking of the SA profiles resembling the much older Vintage Royals (from 1910 to 1940) that were all manual (no electricity).

Of course you wouldn't remember using them because they were very old and not easy to type with.  But they were beautiful in a Steam-punk sort of way.

Offline justnits

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:57:37 »
please don't make DSA, making DSA is bad for my wallet!  :'(
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline genkidama

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 14:49:23 »
I really can't decide which one of Royal Apollo GT 10, Princess 300 und Triumph De Jur Perfekt I like the most. These three look very nice and I'm only curious about the beige color from the Princess 300 set. Would love to see the colors when you get the answers from SP.
I'm not sure about which kind of profile I like. So I guess I'm open for that one. Hopefully this'll get into a GB I really like those sets you created  :thumb:
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 15:03:30 »
Whats moq for bsp custom sets? Is it possible at all?
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 17:41:54 »

A lot IIRC

And they don't have 1.25x mods which is a big no-no for a lot of people.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 01:06:11 »

I doubt it would really be possible for sets like this.  I'd love GMK, but that would be impossible.  The best that could be done is SP or maybe Devlin unless Tai Hao suddenly opened up a ton more options.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:28:23 »
Nubbs those are gorgeous. I love the black & green one.

Offline jiggityjane

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:39:30 »

This (if by black he means brown).

Tis a thing of beauty. I would in for a set of those.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 January 2014, 15:48:35 by jiggityjane »

Offline elton5354

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 18:47:33 »
Voted for Signature 511 DCS Cherry/SP Font.

Hope it doesn't go through...I don't want to buy anymore key sets..

Offline DelKey

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 09:41:35 »
I really like the Triumph and Royal color ways. They're more unique or at least less common. I'm glad that the timing isn't soon- I've binged recently and would be happy to bank some money before the next buying spree.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 19:09:12 »
Not a ton of responses so far, but Underwood Universal is edging out the others.  Everything is super close between the sets.  Large and centered and DCS seem to be the preferred though, which the Cherry font taking a close second.  It's split pretty even between including the Tsangan and not including it.

Of course, I'll be finishing up the other GB before even thinking about touching this.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 19:35:03 »
Down with DCS! I want that DSA. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 19:37:22 »
Not a ton of responses so far, but Underwood Universal is edging out the others.  Everything is super close between the sets.  Large and centered and DCS seem to be the preferred though, which the Cherry font taking a close second.  It's split pretty even between including the Tsangan and not including it.

Of course, I'll be finishing up the other GB before even thinking about touching this.

Huh, I really felt like the Princess 300 blew everything else out of the water. A bit bummed that it doesn't look like it will happen. Good luck with the GB whenever it occurs, though!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 19:57:07 »
Honestly, I'll probably try and do each or get someone to try and do each (except for those three that are so close in color) based upon the fact that they're all pretty much tied.  At this point it's more of a which one do you want to do first bit.

Offline sublime

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:11:36 »
Even if this doesn't pull through I'd still like to add my input: my choice goes to the Triumph De Jur Perfekt.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:37:11 »

Just give it time, also get some actual photos of typewriters because some people here have never heard or seen any of them.  I don't blame them because most were born when Core2 duo's were sold near them.

Besides that's democracy in action, if you don't like it - instigate a coup and take over it yourself. 
Better to dictate what will happen next.  I would vote for a coup only because it belongs here  :thumb: .

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 23:44:05 »
Oh, I'm definitely giving it time, I just thought it was interesting how close everything is. 

As for pics, they're in the first link in the post, but I'll post them again.

Princess 300

Signature 511

Smith Corona

Triumph De Jour Perfekt

Royal Apollo 10-GT

Underwood Universal

If it keeps being pretty much split, I'll make an executive decision on it.  I just wanted to try and get a feel for what would hit the MOQ the easiest.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 00:36:03 »
I like the princess 300 colorway. I'd be down for the graphite legends too, if there is :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 02:43:24 »
Oh, I'm definitely giving it time, I just thought it was interesting how close everything is. 

As for pics, they're in the first link in the post, but I'll post them again.

Princess 300

Show Image

Signature 511

Show Image

Smith Corona

Show Image

Triumph De Jour Perfekt

Show Image

Royal Apollo 10-GT

Show Image

Underwood Universal

Show Image

If it keeps being pretty much split, I'll make an executive decision on it.  I just wanted to try and get a feel for what would hit the MOQ the easiest.

Thanks for the beaut photos but you have helped to support my first request in having these key-caps done in an SA Profile.  Due to the visual evidence you have now provided (my secret plan has worked......hehehe  ;) ).

If you're going to do type writer keys make them as original as they can be.  That would be a far greater salute to these wonderful specimens than doing them in standard DCS format only.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2014, 02:45:20 by Elrick »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 08:54:12 »
The main profile will be DSA or DCS with maybe an option for SA if there are enough people who ask for it while still hitting the DSA or DCS numbers.  I hate SA, so if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it in profiles I want to use.

Offline AFKfapping

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 02:42:33 »
Extremly interested in Princess 300 and Smith Corona made a gh account just to tell you how interested i am in those keysets ! you already have me bought if you decide to actually make them

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:32:14 »

This (if by black he means brown).

Tis a thing of beauty. I would in for a set of those.

Yeah that!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 12:37:07 »
I love the idea of retro colorschemes (colorways, whatever!) -- I like the Underwood and the Signature the best. What about something that reproduces the rounded corners of the original typewriters? I'm thinking something like the Wario key from techkeys, which was achieved by making a DS circle, and then printing over it.

To me, what makes these old typewriters stand out are the odd shapes of the keys.

I'm not saying this wouldn't be expensive, but can you imagine it? It would look freakin' awesome. If you had a black case, with all the keys like that, then the retro keyshape would jump out at you. Maybe we could do a limited run of a just a single key, like the Enter or Backspace, to test out the idea?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 09:22:23 »
I am basically interested in everything in Cherry/DCS profile with Cherry font.

Will probably get one set of this as well :)

Offline genkidama

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 17:02:43 »
I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed dis for us guys. The designs look so awesome.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 18:45:55 »
I love the idea of retro colorschemes (colorways, whatever!) -- I like the Underwood and the Signature the best. What about something that reproduces the rounded corners of the original typewriters? I'm thinking something like the Wario key from techkeys, which was achieved by making a DS circle, and then printing over it.

To me, what makes these old typewriters stand out are the odd shapes of the keys.

Show Image

I'm not saying this wouldn't be expensive, but can you imagine it? It would look freakin' awesome. If you had a black case, with all the keys like that, then the retro keyshape would jump out at you. Maybe we could do a limited run of a just a single key, like the Enter or Backspace, to test out the idea?

Dye-sub perhaps?  You couldn't do the black background, but you could do the keyshape(s) and legends on a neutral background.

Put them on a 60% PCB and drop it into a dead-but-still-pretty typewriter case?  Awesome.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Smith-Corona for me, but that is just because I had one back in the day.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2014, 23:17:28 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 20:23:25 »
I would buy one of whichever was produced since they all look fantastic.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 06:47:50 »

Show Image

Dye-sub perhaps?  You couldn't do the black background, but you could do the keyshape(s) and legends on a neutral background.

Put them on a 60% PCB and drop it into a dead-but-still-pretty typewriter case?  Awesome.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Smith-Corona for me, but that is just because I had one back in the day.

Boiler made this key a while back: http://techkeys.us/collections/pbt/products/w-key
It's a double-shot white circle with the 'W' dye-subbed into it. So yeah, this is possible.

I'd like to see a cream-cheese, white, or pale blue DS 'fingerpad shape' onto black. Those colors would accept a black dyesub imprint. Why black for the key itself? So that it might blend together on a black case and not be seen, and maybe, maybe make those fingerpad shapes stand out more. Doing an entire set this way might be really hard, but maybe an 'Enter' key and 'Esc' key would be possible, to put the concept to the test? For the 'Enter' we could just widen the shape.

Also, the shape I put down as reminiscent of the Smith-Corona isn't quite accurate; it's actually a bit more nuanced:

GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 09:03:28 »
I know caps like that would be expensive, probably making the GB as expensive or more expensive than a GMK buy.  So if there is anything like that done, it would probably be for an Esc key or Geekhack key.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 11:08:53 »
Well, a flat-profile keycap that used the Krogenar/i3oilermaker method would mean a single 1x double-shot mold, then those could be dye-subbed with the legends.

So, I stand corrected, the Krogenar retro-keyshapes on black keycaps are totally doable with available technology.  Mods would have to be either expensive or contrasting.  Perhaps normal double-shot with the 1x shape color used for the legends.  Or the inverse of that.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[EDIT]
In fact, the existing i3oilermaker molds could be used to create an even older look,  Brass-era Underwood ("Below Tree") keycaps, anyone?
[/EDIT]

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 11:11:46 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 13:31:53 »
Well, a flat-profile keycap that used the Krogenar/i3oilermaker method would mean a single 1x double-shot mold, then those could be dye-subbed with the legends.

So, I stand corrected, the Krogenar retro-keyshapes on black keycaps are totally doable with available technology.  Mods would have to be either expensive or contrasting.  Perhaps normal double-shot with the 1x shape color used for the legends.  Or the inverse of that.

- Ron | samwisekoi

[EDIT]
In fact, the existing i3oilermaker molds could be used to create an even older look,  Brass-era Underwood ("Below Tree") keycaps, anyone?
[/EDIT]

Like this?

A DS w/(Dyesub or UV or padprinting) key would only really work with single letter keys. The shiftable numerics might be able to fit, but could look really weird. A circle would provide more space for a legend, though. I'm going to try putting some cut vinyl stickers onto some clear DCS alphas to see how they would look.

If they looked even remotely non-stupid, maybe get an otaku-style set for alphas, and draw whatever you want onto them, LOL!
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:15:16 »
Ok, instead of stickers, here's a mockup using an Otaku-style daskeyboard. (mx blues, ick...) with just the alphas with a DS-circle on them.

Honestly, I would attempt to maybe draw the legends onto the circles using a gel pen - calligraphic characters? We're only talking about making a single legend on a single unit keycap for alphas. Then I got to looking at the numeric pad. To do the numeric keypad would require only three legends to be cut, right? One circle, the two verticals, and the single horizontal. Then you could 'add' a typewriter-style keypad to a layout.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:19:14 by Krogenar »
More

Offline genkidama

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 03:48:26 »
If this becomes a GB we do need an ISO Kit please!  ;)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 08:58:19 »

One will be made available, but it will have to meet MOQ in order to be made.  ISO always has a hard time hitting the MOQ and it can get expensive to try and subsidize it for a handful of people.  That's a while out though.  I need to finish my current GB before really thinking about this one.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 10:20:33 »

One will be made available, but it will have to meet MOQ in order to be made.  ISO always has a hard time hitting the MOQ and it can get expensive to try and subsidize it for a handful of people.  That's a while out though.  I need to finish my current GB before really thinking about this one.

I hope we'll manage to meet MOQ for ISO otherwise it would break my heart. But maybe you are fancy to make some nebula-flavoured ISO Kit for this set?  :cool:

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:04:20 »
If someone would do just 3 renders (Black, White, MidGrey) we could generate a PSD where you can easily change luminance and color to generate new schemes.
Perhaps a easier solution than generating a new render each time...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:25:52 »
I'd be interested, but not in SP. If you do it with gmk I would buy.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 15:14:31 »
The problem with doing this with GMK is twofold.

Color matching, and MOQ.

These probably won't be the most popular sets ever, and GMK doesn't have any reasonably close light blue in their selection.

but It'd still be sweet if we could.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 15:14:41 »
I'd be interested, but not in SP. If you do it with gmk I would buy.

GMK would be my preferred as well, but there's the MOQ issue and the fact that they have fewer color options.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 12:22:47 »
Ok, instead of stickers, here's a mockup using an Otaku-style daskeyboard. (mx blues, ick...) with just the alphas with a DS-circle on them.

Honestly, I would attempt to maybe draw the legends onto the circles using a gel pen - calligraphic characters? We're only talking about making a single legend on a single unit keycap for alphas. Then I got to looking at the numeric pad. To do the numeric keypad would require only three legends to be cut, right? One circle, the two verticals, and the single horizontal. Then you could 'add' a typewriter-style keypad to a layout.

Nice.  A 60% with SA caps would have very few profiles, making it much easier to hit MOQ.  Also, legend labels could be made by Fentek.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:08:23 »
So, I got a GMK color ring in the hopes that I might be able to match a set to their colors and get a nice thick set.  Only one of the sets really looked like they'd be able to come close.  There was no brown, their orange is too vibrant, and their blues aren't muted enough, but they do have something that approximates the Underwood Universal theme:

The colors are off in the picture a little and it's a medium grey, a nice green color, and a light off white.  It's close enough to look good, but not close enough to match perfectly. 

I still need an SP color ring, but I don't want to shell out $40 for one, so I'm seeing what can be done.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:11:52 »
Would the actual colors be cream/green as the end result (something like a muted CCnG)?  The mock-up looks quite a bit turquoise.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 16 March 2014, 18:22:45 »
The mockups definitely have more tourquiose in them.  If it was done with GMK, it would be similar to these two colors, with the green as the Alphas and the Grey as the mods, and off white legends:

I was hoping GMK would have some more color options, but they're pretty limited.  I may have to go SP for it.