Author Topic: [IC] Greetech switches  (Read 63745 times)

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
[IC] Greetech switches
« on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 05:16:39 »
Super impressed with the Gateron GB which generated orders for more than 115K switches.

I was wondering about Greetech switches, which are now being used in the Das Keyboard 4C series. There are not many mentions of them in the forums - does anyone have a Das Keyboard 4C that can expound on their feel and quality? Has anyone managed to get their hands on these switches separate from a Das 4C?

Looking at their site (http://www.greetech.com/en/products.asp?enBigClassName=GT02%20Keyswitch) and at Alibaba pages (such as http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2015-key-switch-keyswitch-for-keyboard_60074508452.html) it seems they offer Red, Blue, Brown and Black versions, and if I'm not mistaken they offer both plate and PCB mounted versions, and versions with built-in diodes (it seems to me that the version with built-in diodes cannot support LEDs as they show a different PCB layout for those - although without seeing them, who knows). There also is an RGB LED version that can support the four pins of an RGB LED (I've attached a PDF of the spec of their RGB switch).

Their MOQ is 6000 switches (which is their carton size, so multiples of 6000 might be required) although on some version it says 5000. It seems like the costs shown go down as low as 10 cents per switch, although I don't know what quantities or which version of the switches that price relates to.

They offer to send 110 switches as a free sample to people interested in ordering. I don't know if that could include different versions of the switches, or if they would send 110 switches of each version, etc.

I'm not located in a good country to do re-shipping of switches from, but I wanted to see if people might be interested in pursuing these switches, and then we can find out who could handle the re-shipping. I'm perfectly happy to hand this off to someone who has done a group buy before and has the experience to do it well. I'm just interested in gauging interest in the switches and to try to get things started.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: [IC] Greetech switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:09:31 »
I wouldn't mind trying them out and if they are not junk I could handle a groupbuy. It can never hurt to have another option for source of cheap MX alternatives. I tired to email them but it keeps getting kicked back as undeliverable...  :confused:

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:22:20 »
I have Red, Black, Blue and Brown switches from them. I got them together with a number of other MX-compatible switches (I hope that's the correct name, mods :-\). I made a big comparison of them on Reddit.

Quick summary:
  • Greetech Black is similar to Cherry Black
  • Greetech Red is smoother than Cherry Red (and Greetech Black), but not as smooth as Gaterons
  • Greetech Blues are a little more tactile than Cherry MX Blue and a little bit louder
  • Greetech Brown are more tactile than Cherry MX Brown, but feel scratchier

If you disregard the the super cheap price (if $.10 is true), I think the most interesting switch is the Greetech Brown, because of its tactility. Before I did the test, I heard that the switch is more tactile than Cherry MX Brown and I hoped it's similar to an Ergo Clear. This isn't the case and I still prefer the Ergo Clears, but I'd say if you lube them they are a way better version of MX Browns. :thumb:

Hope that helps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 14:43:44 »
I'd *love* a sample of switches.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 15:31:27 »
I'd certainly be interested in a sample
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 15:54:09 »
Yep

Offline Spopepro

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 18:08:17 »
4pin RGB LED compatible blues would be really, really interesting to me.  All other RGB compatible switches are for SMD LEDs.  However, I have not seen 3mm common cathode through hole RGB LEDs before, but I haven't looked too hard TBH.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 18:53:42 »
I'd *love* a sample of switches.

Maybe you can make a review like you did with the Gateron Blacks? :cool:

Offline TheMadcap

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 19:49:11 »
I'd be interested both rgb brown and normal brown switches.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 April 2015, 21:14:36 »
I have Red, Black, Blue and Brown switches from them. I got them together with a number of other MX-compatible switches (I hope that's the correct name, mods :-\). I made a big comparison of them on Reddit.

Quick summary:
  • Greetech Red is smoother than Cherry Red (and Greetech Black), but not as smooth as Gaterons
  • Greetech Blues are a little more tactile than Cherry MX Blue and a little bit louder

If you disregard the the super cheap price (if $.10 is true), I think the most interesting switch is the Greetech Brown, because of its tactility. Before I did the test, I heard that the switch is more tactile than Cherry MX Brown and I hoped it's similar to an Ergo Clear. This isn't the case and I still prefer the Ergo Clears, but I'd say if you lube them they are a way better version of MX Browns. :thumb:

Hope that helps.
How do the Greetech blues compared to Gateron blues?

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 15:24:40 »
Might be interested, depending on total cost.

Quick summary:

Hope that helps.

Interested in this as well.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 16:07:29 »
Might be interested, depending on total cost.

Quick summary:

Hope that helps.

Interested in this as well.
Ok, so I had a closer look.

The Gateron Blue feels smoother than the Greetech switch (which is equally scratchy as the Cherry Blue). The tactile bump of the Gateron is slightly more pronounced.

Their sound is different as well. Unfortunately, I cannot record quality samples right now, a description has to be enough: The Gateron has a lower pitch than the Greetech which has a short bright ping. The other has a some kind of thock (not comparable with Topre) in addition to the click. It is generally louder and makes an audible thock when snapping back into the initial position. The thock sounds like a lubed switch and indeed, the Gateron Blues also feel slightly lubed, though I cannot confirm whether that's actually the case.

tl;dr: I prefer the Gateron Blue switches. Nothing compared to MX Clears though :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 16:09:04 by wlhlm »

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 16:39:53 »
Sample pack! Woo. Someone will be lucky.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 04:33:08 »
I will try to establish a connection to the company, get all their spec sheets, and get a sample pack. I'm open to suggestions as to a few people who would be best suited to test the switches and give a full report. Perhaps we can break up the 110 keys to a few people.

I want to figure out what their switches with diodes are in particular. As I see it, ther are three kinds of switches for each color, regular, with diode, and RGB. Possibly there's a fourth which would be RGB with diode. I need to figure out exactly what they offer.

Would people be interested in a switch that has a built-in diode? or just regular and RGB? A built in diode would make things easier for those designing their own keyboards and those doing hand-wiring, but wouldn't be great for those using existing PCBs designed to add diodes to...

Let me try to flesh out exactly what they offer, and maybe we'll pick a few options and start gauging interest on how many keys people want.

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 April 2015, 11:20:05 »
Interested in sample pack.  Are all Das now Greetech?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 22:05:12 »
Would people be interested in a switch that has a built-in diode? or just regular and RGB? A built in diode would make things easier for those designing their own keyboards and those doing hand-wiring, but wouldn't be great for those using existing PCBs designed to add diodes to...
I'd definitely be interested in trying out some switches with diodes built in

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 01:13:50 »
Interested in sample pack.  Are all Das nowadays Greetech?

Only 4C AFAIK

Offline Asininity

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 01:37:55 »
Depending on the price I would be down for 90 of either browns or blacks. I'm curious to try these switches and if the price was 10c a switch I couldn't help but satisfy my curiosity at that price point.

Offline TheMamaMafia

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 02:38:58 »
This is very interesting indeed. And that price! 10c a switch :0

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 02:56:29 »
And I volunteer to run and liaise the GB again

I could also attempt contact with them..... If needed

Offline Rakanishu2199

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 April 2015, 03:57:08 »
- Got Gaterons from Massdrop -
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:32:06 by Rakanishu2199 »

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 22:54:42 »
I would probably buy a few. Like around 100 or so maybe. It would be interesting to see how they coma[re to gats and cherries

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 00:35:20 »
If goes as smooth as the Gateron GB I am in for some! :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 02:07:22 »
Everything I've see so far points to Greetechs being kailh standard clones. I don't see this being as big as the gateron gb.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 28 April 2015, 02:18:21 »
Dihedral, what have you seen?

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 02:14:06 »
Dihedral, what have you seen?

Whlhm's analysis and reviews of tge 4C

Offline Rakanishu2199

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 12:45:31 »
Hey, just to get an idea, if this deal happens, when would we get the switches (several months?)?

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 00:36:58 »
I have contact with Greetech. Let me know if I can help.

Offline trauring

• off on a tangent
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 00:56:15 »
LeandreN, I would appreciate the help. I had trouble getting a consistent contact there.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 06:57:15 »
LeandreN, I would appreciate the help. I had trouble getting a consistent contact there.
Pm me :)

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 13:03:13 »
I am in contact with them. I dont think I will be able to run the GB due to customs in my country. I think traurig has an idea for that.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 01:34:21 »
Sent over a mail. Awaiting a reply to that specific mail. Will try to get a overview of what they have.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 18:10:50 »
Alright, I have quotes and stuff. Waiting for traurig to respond to my PM :)

Offline theanyday

• love love love
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:09:13 »
A bit interested in this as well. Got some things I want to build.
MIRA SE | White Fox w/ 67g Zealios | POK3R w/ Blues | K70 w/ Browns | Planck w/ Greens | NovaTouch TKL

Offline ryuen29

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 21:20:42 »
I'll be interested in a sample pack as well.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:51:49 »

Quick summary:

Hope that helps.

I know that they have a whitelist system for their mail. That is why your mail couldn't deliver.

Offline BreakThings

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 13:49:32 »
I centered the labels and bumped the font. I think it give the caps a classier feel but I'm interested to hear what the community thinks.

http://bit.ly/1FIR97f

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:55:02 »
Thought that i would let you know that Shadovved has contacted Greetech for further details.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 18:00:52 »
We are waiting for samples :)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 18:50:41 »
We have them in stock on MK. I absolutely love the Reds...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 18:59:34 »
I'd like to try them but at some reasonable prices

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:05:30 »

A 10 pack for $8 is not reasonable?

There is tiered pricing for bulk ordering beyond just the 10 per switch...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:09:57 »

I didn't realize MK.com was carrying them. But $1 a switch isn't reasonable at all to me. That's reaching Blue Alps hype prices in my opinion. I'd be more comfortable paying $.40-$.60.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:10:25 »

Well, it's $10 for 10, and not really no, not keen on paying $1/switch. And with cherry I see the tiered pricing for volume, but with Greetech and Gateron I just see the $10 for 10 packs.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:41:19 »

Well, it's $10 for 10, and not really no, not keen on paying $1/switch. And with cherry I see the tiered pricing for volume, but with Greetech and Gateron I just see the $10 for 10 packs.

103661-0

100 switches for $40...free shipping stateside...

Offline unoab

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:41:57 »

Well in all fairness to MK, the price probably includes the shipping, since it is free shipping on all items so that would be a few dollars.

Also check out if you buy 10 10 packs they go down to $4 a pack for gateron, so $0.40 a switch (shipping included), so not as cheap as the group buys, but they are the cheapest place with them in stock right now at least that I could find (ortholinearkeyboards would be next in line).

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:44:50 »

(Attachment Link)

100 switches for $40...free shipping stateside...
well then unless this buy yields some great prices I'd say this seems like a good solution right here

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:45:27 »
We are working on creating sampler packs of Greetechs, but we have to include shipping somehow.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:47:46 »
well then unless this buy yields some great prices I'd say this seems like a good solution right here

We are fully stocked on both PCB and Plate mount Greetechs with no end in sight.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 17 June 2015, 20:57:12 »
We are working on creating sampler packs of Greetechs, but we have to include shipping somehow.
Makes sense, though I does look a bit nicer in this case if shipping wasn't included