Author Topic: Favorite lube for light tactiles?  (Read 1871 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Favorite lube for light tactiles?
« on: Thu, 08 June 2023, 23:26:00 »
Does the community have a preferred lubricant for light tactile switches such as Cherry and Gateron Browns?  I have 4 or 5 lubricants including 3203, 3204, 205g0, and Molykote EM-30L.  GPL 105 is used on the spring ends sparingly. 
I have tried them all with mixed results.  They are all easy to apply with a 000 brush.  It's been a while since I have done this, but it seems like with especially the 205g0 that the switches are less tactile.
I made damn sure that used the smallest amount possible and lubed only the contact points and stayed away from the legs.  The 205 just has a different sound and feel than the other ones.
I think that for now I will stay with the Molykote.  I just always feel as if I'm missing out and haven't tried the latest and the greatest yet.  I definitely have a preference for the thickest stuff because to me it feels the best
and it stays put. 

I urge others to try the Molykote.  Not only does it work great and is easy to apply, but it's super economical.  I forget what I paid $10.95 or $12.95 for a container around 30mL, which for me is a lifetime. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Favorite lube for light tactiles?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 June 2023, 05:43:59 »
I usually don't lube the front legs or the metal leaf side of any tactile MX switch as it alters the tactile.bump. Do you usually touch those up? I'd advise trying not to.

Other than that, I enjoy Tribosys 3204, but I'd be willing to try Molykote. What's the consistent of it relative to the others you mentioned you had?

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 02:20:27 »
I usually don't lube the front legs or the metal leaf side of any tactile MX switch as it alters the tactile.bump. Do you usually touch those up? I'd advise trying not to.

Other than that, I enjoy Tribosys 3204, but I'd be willing to try Molykote. What's the consistent of it relative to the others you mentioned you had?

No, I stay away from the the legs as well as the metal leaves as this will dull the tactility

The Molykote has a viscosity of 90 cSt while GLP 205g0 has a viscosity of 160 cSt.  I tried to compare it to other products, but they are measured at different temperatures.  I can best describe it like very soft butter that has not lost it's shape,
and it's somewhat similar to Tribosys 3204.  It's very hard to explain, but it seems stiffer and more viscous than all of these even though it's viscosity rating is middle of the road. It just really stays in place. You also need very little.  If you were to take a little spatula to scoop some out to transfer it the ridges flatten out less than with the other lubes.  Some of these have PTFE added to them which changes the properties.  The M-Kote grease is specifically made for plastic-on-plastic lubrication which is why I bought it.  Though I'm not an "exalted elder," I really think it would catch on in the community

299726-0            The Molykote is on the left

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 June 2023, 02:23:52 by jcoffin1981 »
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 June 2023, 02:24:50 »
299730-0

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 12:41:47 »
It sounds as if you have more careful experience lubing light-tactiles than I do.

I find that 3204 is a good all-round lubricant for most tactiles. It may be overkill for some switches [like MX Brown] if applied in regular amounts. It is really good at smoothing out medium-tactiles and improving their sound [Durock Medium Tactile, MX Clear] if applied in generous quantities.

205g0 is very powerful, but it can be used on the lightest tactiles if you are really careful. Even MX Brown, and it works fine on BOX Brown. But on those Cherry switches, it should only be applied as a 'shadow' of what you would normally do.

I find that 3203 improves smoothness, but not so much sound. Had some MX Brown samples with 3203, they felt too creamy/watery and less-tactile. Should have been okay, but I guess it's not a guaranteed solution for Browns. Generous 3203 + films really improved MODE Signals [Durock Medium Tactile], which have some scratch in stock form, but the lube did not deepen the sound. I'd still recommend it on MODE Signals.

The lube and method you choose on MX Clears seems to make a noticeable difference. It's really up to you. Heavy 3204 seems to give the best results for me on those. Went with very light, careful 3204 on KTT Mallo and SP Star Meteor Orange. The latter especially worked out well - they are light-tactiles. But others use medium 3204 on KTT Mallo, and it's still okay.

Offline StefanVoda

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 13:21:51 »
I guess this really depends on how much lube each person applies on their switches. I usually go for thinner coats so even 205g0, if applied carefully, is ok for me.

Never tried Molykote. Do they have the same proprieties as Krytox in terms of long time reliability?
ai03xkevinplus POLARIS | WG Vint MX Black/Gateron Yellow KS-3X47

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 20:23:58 »
You truly need so little lube- just enough to barely cover the surfaces.  If you use more it starts to make the keys have more of a sluggish feel which I don't like.  On my most recent build I used several lubes on different sections of keys.  The differences are subtle and it is hard to tell between them.  However, the Molykote takes the pitch of the keystroke down the lowest.  It is that high pitched clacking that I really hate the most.  The key that lost tactility it seems the leaf was actually damaged when it was taken apart or it was defective- had nothing to do with the lube job. 

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 21:02:14 »
I guess this really depends on how much lube each person applies on their switches. I usually go for thinner coats so even 205g0, if applied carefully, is ok for me.

Never tried Molykote. Do they have the same proprieties as Krytox in terms of long time reliability?

I used it on my work keyboard two years ago that I use daily- for several hours and it has not degraded at all-  still works just as well

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 21:09:36 »

I find that 3203 improves smoothness, but not so much sound. Had some MX Brown samples with 3203, they felt too creamy/watery and less-tactile. Should have been okay, but I guess it's not a guaranteed solution for Browns. Generous 3203 + films really improved MODE Signals [Durock Medium Tactile], which have some scratch in stock form, but the lube did not deepen the sound. I'd still recommend it on MODE Signals.

I used 3203 on a large section of the letters of this build and I unfortunately have to redo those because don't like the feeling.  The difference is subtle and it's hard to explain, but I don't like it.  Have not lost any tactility though. 

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 June 2023, 21:15:08 »
Yeah, 3203 made my Browns feel like wet caramel.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 June 2023, 21:36:40 »

If you like I can send you some to try.   I really do think it will catch on in the KB community.  It also a better alternative than paying $12 for 2 mL of grease.  Quite a ripoff.   PM me if interested.