Author Topic: [IC] GMK X  (Read 15960 times)

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
[IC] GMK X
« on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:16:26 »
Interest Check - GMK X

239063-0

INTRODUCTION

This is the interest check for the keycap set GMK X.

Rationale: some say Hell is other people; I say Hell is other people touching my keyboard: they smudge it with their skin oils (at best) and make a mess of it. I figured I needed my keyboard to say "Look but don't touch, and even better, don't look at all!". I first thought of replacing its keycaps with blanks, as some touch typists do, but that doesn't go far enough: the keyboard should not just look empty, but be outright hostile to the sight (yet not to the touch; more on this later).

After some thoughts, some experiments and some thought experiments, I arrived at the inescapable logical conclusion, one that I want to share with you all, so you can also protect your keyboards from other people.

GMK X

This is the full GMK X set:

239028-1

Main features of note:

• All alpha keys contain a single letter X.
  • All modifier keys contain a single X mark.
  • The colorway is cream and pebble with black legends; it was chosen because of its strong blend-into-the-office-background property: given that a keyboard can't be hidden away, the next best thing is a "hide in plain sight" strategy, and cream and pebble is marvelous in this regard.
  • This colorway is easily obtained with GMK's stock colors: L9 for the alpha keys, U9 for the modifiers, and CR for all legends.
  • Row profile is 0-1-2-3-4-5: the keyboard should be hostile to the sight, not to the touch.

Given that all alphas will share the same legend, and so will all mods, maximum layout compatibility can be attained with minimal keycap duplication. Since this isn't made immediately clear from the above image, the following cheat sheet shows the same full set, but with non-X-ed legends. Note how quite a few modifier keys cover several roles with ease:

239030-2

PLANNED KITS

It's undeniably tempting to offer the above set as a single, monolithic unit, so everyone will pay the same amount of money and get the same number of keycaps (fair is fair, right?). However, the realities of keycap set making need to be acknowledged; with this in mind, GMK X will be split into several kits:

Base kit:

239032-3

This is the base kit (128 keys); it covers everything from a tenkeyless down to a 60% (and several, but not all, 40% physical layouts). Note that modifier keys sport the "all icons" style.

Text modifiers kit:

239034-4

The text modifiers kit (70 keys) contains the same modifier keys present in the base kit, but with text legends, for those who like this style better (and for those weirdos who like icon legends on the alpha block, and text legends on the bottom row and the navigation cluster).

Numpad kit:

239036-5

This kit (44 keys) contains the keys required for numpads of all kinds, including split key variations, six-row layouts, and "operators are mods" and "operators are alphas" visual approaches. All modifier keys are present in both icon and text styles.

Space bars kit:

This kit contains the usual set of split space bars + 6U space bars. Depending on how the round 2 for the GMK OG Spacekeys group buy goes, I might cut this one out from this interest check - it would be improper to hurt another group buy that actually complements well with this. The addition of 3U and 4.75U space bars remains under discussion.

Icon extended functions kit:

Eight alpha-colored top row icon mods, to complement the base kit, plus ten mod-colored icon mods, for the leftside EF block (for the older gits) or macro block (for the young whippersnappers).

I'm keeping this kit separate from the text mods analog kit for now, but I am not unwilling to fuse them into one single kit; it will depend on the interest check's participants' opinions and GMK's price quotes.

Text extended functions kit:

Eight alpha-colored top row text mods, to complement the base kit, plus ten mod-colored text mods, for the leftside EF block (for the older gits) or macro block (for the young whippersnappers).

I'm keeping this kit separate from the icon mods analog kit for now, but I am not unwilling to fuse them into one single kit; it will depend on the interest check's participants' opinions and GMK's price quotes.

Icon 40% kit:

Icon modifiers for 40% keyboards. Note how there are two 1.5U keys in R3, but only one in R1, R2 and R4; this is because they already exist in the base kit (I'm considering, however, duplicating them anyway, to diminish the dependence on the base kit).

I would highly prefer to keep this kit and the text mods version separate, but GMK's price quotes might force merging them.

Text 40% kit:

Text modifiers for 40% keyboards. Note how there are two 1.5U keys in each row; this is because the base kit does not provide them.

I would highly prefer to keep this kit and the icon mods version separate, but GMK's price quotes might force merging them.

RENDERS

Here are a few renders of GMK X:

239054-11

239056-12

239058-13

239060-14

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

I'm sure you'll have quite a few questions, so let's cover some of them right away:

Q: Ne numpad in base kit avail?

A: I would certainly prefer so, but the base kit is rather large already. The feasibility of merging the numpad kit into the base will depend on GMK's price quotes.

Q: Ne Ergo avail?

A: Ergodox keyboards are hostile enough as it is. To add this keycap set would be overkill, in my opinion.

Nevertheless, I'll run a poll to determine if the 40% kits should be expanded anyway into a combined 40%/ergo kit.

Q: Ne text mods in base kit avail?

A: As initially designed, it's icon modifier keys in the base kit, text modifier keys in an extra kit. I'll run a poll to see if this should be reversed or kept as is now.

If I could have it my way, I'd offer an "alphas only" kit, and both versions of the "mods only" kit separately, but my intuition suggests that GMK's price quotes will be a dream-shattering factor.

Q: Ne accents avail?

A: Accents are visually attractive and make the keyboard more pleasing to look at. GMK X is for the keyboard that doesn't want to be looked at.

Q: Ne UK ISO avail?

A: Actually, the English (UK) national layout IS fully supported! Just replace the seven alphas on the left side of the following diagram with the seven alphas on the right side.

239048-15

Q: Ne centered icon mods avail?

A: Hostility is one thing, bad taste is another one. Shame on you!

Q: Ne icon+text mods avail?

A: Don't come and tell me this:

239050-16

looks prim and proper. What's next? XXX legends?

Q: Ne numpad sublegends avail?

A: See above.

Q: Ne Hiragana avail?

A: I actually asked a friend of mine who is a professional Japanese-English translator. According to her opinion, the Latin letter X has the same connotation of "error" or "forbidden" that it has for us Westerners. Therefore, weeb sublegends are unnecessary (and see above, too).

Q: Ne Hangul avail?

A: I have a strong suspicion that once I get to talk to a Korean about it, I'll get the same answer. But even if I get a surprising reply, see above about sublegends - that will surely be a stronger argument. In short: quite probably no.

Q: Ne alternate 1-1-2-3-4-4 profile keys avail?

A: 2017 called; it wants its outdated row profile back.

Q: Ne BAE avail?

A: Hostile to the sight, not to the touch. No BAE. Shame on you!

Q: Ne stepped ISO Enter avail?

A: I certainly want it to be added (why should Caps Lock be the only privileged key?), but ultimately the decision will be made after seeing GMK's price quotes for the new mold that will be required. If it can be added, it will, but rest easy knowing it WON'T replace the non-stepped ISO Enter key.

Q: Ne total compat avail?

A: These kits maximize compatibility, but some constraints can't really be escaped from; as much as we'd all like it to be otherwise, it's not really feasible to add total compatibility for all layouts. What does this mean?

• Ne Wang-style Delete avail.
  • Ne 2.0U R0 Esc avail.
  • Ne thin ISO Enter avail.
  • Ne HHKB-ISO Enter avail (or "low thin ISO Enter", as is known in Canada).
  • Ne offset-keeb modifiers avail (even though some are already present in the base kit).
  • Ne 9U space bar avail (I know, I know, this one hurts the most!).

Q: Ne WoB avail?

A: L9/CR+U9/CR is the chosen colorway for this interest check. It IS true, however, that black keyboards are better served with a different colorway; CR/WS1 and N9/U9 are strong contenders... but let's get it on with cream and pebble first and worry about dark colorways later.

Q: Ne custom colorway avail?

A: Using custom colors would hike the price up excessively, in addition to the fact that most of the keys already require new molds to be crafted. Fortunately, the available stock colors provide a perfect fit for the intended job.

Q: Ne novelties avail?

A: No velties. What is wrong with you?

Q: Ne ISO Enter novelty avail?

A: Okay, fine. Just this one:

Q: Ne vim arrows avail?

A: Sure thing. This will not look corny at all:

Also, it's vi arrows. Kids these days...

Q: Ne artisan avail?

A: Something to be avoided, definitely. But...

I must confess that I can't help the feeling that a cross-relief Cross of Burgundy keycap, with the knots and all, would be amazing... but then I'd have to make the cross red instead of black, and that would require a white keycap instead of a pebble one, and then the whole thing gets thrown off.

Perhaps a separate interest check for it. It ought to be a hit among Spaniards, but who else could possibly want this...?

Q: Ne deskmat avail?

A: Not for now. We're working on it and may or may not have news on this particular issue.

Q: Ne custom cable avail?

A: There's plenty of unassuming beige USB cables available on Amazon and elsehere, so I don't think custom cables are necessary (in fact, they would be overall detrimental).

PENDING WORK

• Ask 40% users for their input. I'm sure I've missed something in their kit!
  • Ask ergo users for their input. Will they want ergo support added, in spite of everything?
  • Run polls to determine whatever changes the interested parties want.
  • Decide on said changes.
  • Finalize kits.
  • Find vendors.
  • Vend.

SIGNATURE BANNER

If you want to support and help publicize GMK X, please use this banner in your signature:

CREDITS AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

I would like to thank eskimojo and Abec13 for their inestimable effort and feedback.

I would like to thank Oblotzky for his renders.

Finally, I would like to thank my parents, my son, my niece and my second cousin for failing to institutionalize me.

FINAL WORDS

I'd like to take a moment to thank you for reading this interest check, so:

Thank you for reading this interest check.

Offline belgium_waffles

Re: [IC] GMK X
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:18:01 »
X

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:19:08 »
GMK Dots was not enough, I presume  :-X

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:20:19 »
Row profile is 0-1-2-3-4-5: the keyboard should be hostile to the sight, not to the touch.

OK BOOMER!

Offline noricon

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:24:02 »
kinda lit

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:27:43 »
i dont get it

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:31:34 »
This will go great with my upcoming GMK YZ set.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:40:09 »
please consider dyesub pbt instead
I love Elzy

Offline GaNeBaL

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:46:28 »
please consider dyesub pbt instead

hopefully crp will take on this task
Obsessed with 60%TKLs

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 01:48:22 »
ne rama cap avial?

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 02:00:15 »
No Dixie X?

Pathetic

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 03:41:18 »
Just buy the blank beige (ew) EnjoyPBT set, bruh

« Last Edit: Wed, 01 April 2020, 03:43:36 by nguyenhimself »

Offline dantambok

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 05:13:51 »
XXX
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 05:19:47 »
Well, Dots and 🅱️ sold. Don't see why this shouldn't.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 06:35:51 »
Did you ask Dixie's permission for this??

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 08:19:17 »
I'll buy.. but...

"Q: Ne centered icon mods avail?

A: Hostility is one thing, bad taste is another one. Shame on you!"

They're centered in the renders. Yuck. Align them like OG Icon mods and you got my money. :)

Offline Pach

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 08:22:36 »
will this come with a non-configurable pcb that has every key binded to "X"

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 08:32:33 »
Any Cyrillic Х key available?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 08:33:10 »
You can configure it to anything as long as it's "X".

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 08:49:16 »
I'll buy.. but...

"Q: Ne centered icon mods avail?

A: Hostility is one thing, bad taste is another one. Shame on you!"

They're centered in the renders. Yuck. Align them like OG Icon mods and you got my money. :)

'tis just a render. But you do score extra points for actually having noticed that (unlike some others who didn't notice other jabs).

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 08:50:47 »

I was actually thinking of a common QMK-supporting PCB, with an inner DIP switch to activate and deactivate that mode at will. Hostility Hilarity will ensue!

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 09:09:01 »
Any Cyrillic Х key available?

I didn't want to announce it all at the same time, but I will be indeed having an alternate alphas set, where all the U+0058 (X, LATIN CAPITAL LETTER X) signs are replaced by U+0425 (Х, CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER HA) signs. You'll surely be pleased.

Offline tentboy

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 09:15:58 »
finally a set that gon’ give it to ya

all in.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 09:22:16 »
I didn't want to announce it all at the same time, but I will be indeed having an alternate alphas set, where all the U+0058 (X, LATIN CAPITAL LETTER X) signs are replaced by U+0425 (Х, CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER HA) signs. You'll surely be pleased.

Sounds good, I'm in!

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 10:31:21 »
X

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 11:03:06 »
Atlantix ISO! :D

Offline productkun

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 13:45:23 »
x gon give it to ya

Offline eas

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 15:23:02 »
ne ortho avail?

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 16:21:53 »
Xxxx x
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline eas

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 23:40:35 »

Offline bliss

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 05:20:47 »
The perfect office keyset! Subtly classy in way that neither coworkers nor yr boss are going to be jealous.
 :thumb:

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 06:43:45 »
Nevermind
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2020, 06:46:55 by scatology »

Offline eas

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 22:56:09 »

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 07:07:36 »
This makes sense. Since too many touches on a GMK set will render it the biggest waste of 300$ since your girlfriend wanted that purple lelo.

All I ask is. Why no x on the spacebars? Weak.

Offline Bax

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 19:08:35 »
I'm really into the keyset and the idea originality. Imo it would look good at home too, since it would confuse household members about this hobby even more. Great that it has a special profile.
Also, one of the best IC pitches here, love it!

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 21:13:06 »
Will buy because I don't have to beg for colemak

Offline orionstein

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 01:50:42 »
I kind of love it. I'd probably definitely be in!

After thinking about this, I need this set. When is the launch?  :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2020, 09:53:24 by orionstein »

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 22:19:55 »
XXX