Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2338363 times)

Offline consolation

Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1300 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:24:01 »
Do you have any idea why that alloy was discontinued?

cost

If it's the type that was common in the 80s, iirc, it was strong but too brittle for modern multi layer pcbs; I vaguely remember the articles in the tech press at the time. The more modern substrates came out that wouldn't crack when each layer was much thinner; modern PCBs are thinner and weaker under compression, but stronger under tension, so the multiple layers won't lift off. Although the older type was better for through mounts, as you get shorter stress fractures when drilling holes in it. Of course there isn't now, or wasn't back then, a one type of pcb; but that is the general gist of it, if memory serves me right.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1301 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:29:52 »

If it's the type that was common in the 80s, iirc, it was strong but too brittle for modern multi layer pcbs; I vaguely remember the articles in the tech press at the time. The more modern substrates came out that wouldn't crack when each layer was much thinner; modern PCBs are thinner and weaker under compression, but stronger under tension, so the multiple layers won't lift off. Although the older type was better for through mounts, as you get shorter stress fractures when drilling holes in it. Of course there isn't now, or wasn't back then, a one type of pcb; but that is the general gist of it, if memory serves me right.
Pretty sure they’re talking about the spring steel.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #1302 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:35:51 »
Do you have any idea why that alloy was discontinued?

cost

That's very interesting, but seems to have little to do with the composition of a spring.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1303 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 16:57:27 »

Pretty sure they’re talking about the spring steel.

this is correct
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1304 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 12:42:36 »
This is going to sound pretty grim and may insult but I do have a question

Ellipse do you have anyone backing you up on the project management and distribution of the product if something were to happen to you. I know this usually does not get asked on other group buys but this is literally the biggest and complex community centered project I have ever seen on geekhack over 5 years being on here. You have have become a god.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #1305 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 16:40:17 »
This is going to sound pretty grim and may insult but I do have a question

Ellipse do you have anyone backing you up on the project management and distribution of the product if something were to happen to you. I know this usually does not get asked on other group buys but this is literally the biggest and complex community centered project I have ever seen on geekhack over 5 years being on here. You have have become a god.

Thats actually not a bad point.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1306 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 11:35:08 »
It's just me on the project. 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1307 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 09:58:12 »
We just passed $400,000 in orders - a major milestone for this project!  Who would have expected so much awareness of the Model F!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1308 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 10:21:00 »
We just passed $400,000 in orders - a major milestone for this project!  Who would have expected so much awareness of the Model F!

New ETA = 2048! lol

Offline Ouster

« Reply #1309 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 12:11:25 »
You have to give yourself most of the credit there. I wasn't even aware of the Model F being better than the touted Model M. I think your standards of quality and sticking as closely to the original as possible made it so successful. It's definitely why I purchased one. The look of the boards with the retro case and keycaps was a big draw, then learning about how well built they will be compared to anything made today made the purchase an easy one.

Click-Clacked using Tapatalk

HHKB Hi-Pro Keycaps | Realforce Hi-Pro | KBD75 Zealios 65g | Realforce RGB

Offline SuperBo

« Reply #1310 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 23:44:46 »
Ordered an F62 ;D.
Thank Ellipse for the best GB so far.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 October 2017, 23:47:03 by SuperBo »

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1311 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 11:01:00 »
I'd like something clarified, by Ellipse. We are still in an "Early Bird" round, correct? Then after this "early bird" round "ends," there is effectively a round 2, correct? What conditions have to be met for this "early bird" round to be over?

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #1312 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 11:47:51 »
Ordered an F62 ;D.
Thank Ellipse for the best GB so far.

Just curious, what makes you think in this way?

« Reply #1313 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 12:21:40 »
I'd like something clarified, by Ellipse. We are still in an "Early Bird" round, correct? Then after this "early bird" round "ends," there is effectively a round 2, correct? What conditions have to be met for this "early bird" round to be over?
They have to be made and shipped, of course.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #1314 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 12:37:45 »

You're not quite understanding my question. Let me clarify: What conditions need to be met for Early bird ordering to close.

« Reply #1315 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 13:37:28 »

You're not quite understanding my question. Let me clarify: What conditions need to be met for Early bird ordering to close.
I would assume he actually has manufacturers for all the parts. Remember, still working on springs and testing pcb material.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #1316 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 14:16:07 »

I guess all the orders before he ships out any orders are all "early bird" round. So I assume he will keep postponing the deadline for "early bird" round util all the parts meet his standards, if they ever will.

Offline Fluffypupper22

« Reply #1317 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 14:22:42 »

I guess all the orders before he ships out any orders are all "early bird" round. So I assume he will keep postponing the deadline for "early bird" round util all the parts meet his standards, if they ever will.

I was hoping we would receive these keyboards by Christmas, but It doesn't look like that's going to happen=(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1318 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 16:50:30 »
We are still looking at shipping in Q1 2018 - again my apologies for the factory production delays.  Even with a $400,000 manufacturing project we are not the highest priority project with the factory which focuses on much larger orders.  I am happy they accepted the project and have spent a couple years of back and forth to perfect the parts - they have been a great partner except for the delays over the past year.

Yes we are still in the early bird round for all orders.  If all goes well with the factory timeline we can move to the regular round of orders next month! 

Fluffypupper these keyboards will be well worth the wait!  Early on I decided that quality is the most important aspect of this project, above meeting any self-imposed timeline.  I will not ship poor quality goods to save a few months, especially with all the funds everyone has put in already for their keyboards.  I want the factory to make quality products matching original specs and that should last for decades of use.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #1319 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 16:58:38 »
We are still looking at shipping in Q1 2018 - again my apologies for the factory production delays.  Even with a $400,000 manufacturing project we are not the highest priority project with the factory which focuses on much larger orders.  I am happy they accepted the project and have spent a couple years of back and forth to perfect the parts - they have been a great partner except for the delays over the past year.

Yes we are still in the early bird round for all orders.  If all goes well with the factory timeline we can move to the regular round of orders next month! 

Fluffypupper these keyboards will be well worth the wait!  Early on I decided that quality is the most important aspect of this project, above meeting any self-imposed timeline.  I will not ship poor quality goods to save a few months, especially with all the funds everyone has put in already for their keyboards.  I want the factory to make quality products matching original specs and that should last for decades of use.

What makes me anxious is that you always have new estimations for the shipping date. Now you're saying Q1 2018, but I guess there'll be new estimates later. I don't even know how many years I'll need to wait.

Offline Jampu

« Reply #1320 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 18:37:01 »
Ellipse, one quick (odd) question:  As these are reproductions of the originals, will they have the extra barrel under the left side of the spacebar like all other IBM keyboards?  I know there will be no pads for it, just curious.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1321 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 18:52:38 »
Yes there is an extra pad and barrel to split each of the left/right shifts into two keys.  This is for both the regular and split right shift PCBs.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1322 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 18:54:40 »
Yes there is an extra pad and barrel to split each of the left/right shifts into two keys.  This is for both the regular and split right shift PCBs.
He’s asking about a barrel next to the space bar, not split shift.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1323 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 19:01:02 »
Whoops - yes confirmed there is a barrel with no pad as part of the space bar.

Offline Jampu

« Reply #1324 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 05:44:12 »
Whoops - yes confirmed there is a barrel with no pad as part of the space bar.

Awesome, thanks!

Offline dante

« Reply #1325 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 07:41:22 »
Ellipse, since you are getting close to the end of this I'm curious, knowing what you know now how much more would this keyboard have cost if it was 100% Made in the US?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1326 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:38:09 »
At least double.  Even IBM offshored some Model F components to Asia, like the PCB.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1327 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 16:55:45 »
Ellipse, I sent you a message about an order change.  Did you see it?  Should I email instead?   Thanks
keyboards.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1328 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 10:30:18 »
At least double.  Even IBM offshored some Model F components to Asia, like the PCB.

Lexmark and unicomp continued this somewhat iirc with their model ms.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1329 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 16:30:42 »
The springs are moving back to China.  I found a factory willing to make the springs and am ordering samples this week. 

They said they have the advanced equipment to inspect each spring during production, like the US factory. 

The only US supplier of the old standard spring material would have required two months to produce the wire (not counting the time to make all the springs) so I am going back to China to make sure we stay on track.  This large factory in China has enough capacity to make the needed 100,000+ springs in 1-2 weeks!

Offline Lagomorph

« Reply #1330 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 06:55:10 »
The springs are moving back to China.  I found a factory willing to make the springs and am ordering samples this week. 

They said they have the advanced equipment to inspect each spring during production, like the US factory. 

The only US supplier of the old standard spring material would have required two months to produce the wire (not counting the time to make all the springs) so I am going back to China to make sure we stay on track.  This large factory in China has enough capacity to make the needed 100,000+ springs in 1-2 weeks!

Thanks for the update Ellipse. I hope the samples from the Chinese factory meet your standards.

If nothing else, this project has provided enough experience for you to transition to a manufacturing production manager job, if you ever wanted that (after all of the difficulties experienced so far, I doubt you would).  :D

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1331 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 07:54:29 »
Awesome, long as they're good I dont care where they're from. especially if it gets done faster

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1332 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:36:29 »
The spring samples have been ordered!  I ordered half the samples with heat treatment and half without so that we can eliminate heat treating as a source of the sound differences.  The samples should ship by DHL Express by the end of next week.

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1333 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 19:06:01 »
The spring samples have been ordered!  I ordered half the samples with heat treatment and half without so that we can eliminate heat treating as a source of the sound differences.  The samples should ship by DHL Express by the end of next week.
HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Offline krispy

« Reply #1334 on: Fri, 10 November 2017, 08:29:21 »

Hi Ellipse, I joined the GB a few months ago and mostly just lurk around here but I just wanted to say that your dedication to this project is inspiring and thank you for the detailed, constant updates. You are awesome! I'll go back to lurking now haha.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1335 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:46:18 »
mini update + dark gray keys now available to order!

Per the factory the key molds are expected to finish the first week of January.  This is the same subcontractor that did a good job with the barrels and flippers (all to spec).

The spring samples should arrive next week.  These are made with a new factory that had the exact original standard material that IBM used for their springs (I had them analyzed at a lab).  To speed up assembly, the factory expects to build a bulk spring attacher (their prototype could attach one spring and flipper at a time). 

Dark gray printed and unprinted sets are now up for order!  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-set-of-brand-new-production-xt-quality-one-piece-keys/

Total cost is $5 less than the $10 expected premium.  These will be a limited early bird color to minimize extra setup charges for the final production run next year.  You can pick free/other shipping if you want to add keys to your current order.

To keep the project on track and avoid extra assembly variations, these are extra sets only - they can't be your only set or installed set if ordering a keyboard.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #1336 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 21:57:20 »
This is probably a dumb question for you, Ellipse, given how obsessive over detail you've been so far, but your pebble/pearl keysets will exactly color match the original IBM versions, not the current Unicomp versions, correct?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1337 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 15:25:37 »
Yes the factory will be matching the original XT keys in both color and texture.  I mailed them samples of original XT and custom-blue Industrial SSK keys.

Offline Fluffypupper22

« Reply #1338 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 15:31:50 »
mini update + dark gray keys now available to order!

Per the factory the key molds are expected to finish the first week of January.  This is the same subcontractor that did a good job with the barrels and flippers (all to spec).

The spring samples should arrive next week.  These are made with a new factory that had the exact original standard material that IBM used for their springs (I had them analyzed at a lab).  To speed up assembly, the factory expects to build a bulk spring attacher (their prototype could attach one spring and flipper at a time). 

Dark gray printed and unprinted sets are now up for order!  https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/product/extra-set-of-brand-new-production-xt-quality-one-piece-keys/

Total cost is $5 less than the $10 expected premium.  These will be a limited early bird color to minimize extra setup charges for the final production run next year.  You can pick free/other shipping if you want to add keys to your current order.

To keep the project on track and avoid extra assembly variations, these are extra sets only - they can't be your only set or installed set if ordering a keyboard.

Any photos of the keycaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1339 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 15:33:43 »
Nope the molds are still in production.

« Reply #1340 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 16:02:49 »
Nope the molds are still in production.
I can't seem to remember, are these going to be single piece or two piece?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1341 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 16:39:53 »
all one piece

Offline Lagomorph

« Reply #1342 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 09:58:32 »
Sorry if this was answered, but will all keycap color sets include F and J keys with the "locator" nubs on them, so you can tell if are positioned over the home row correctly without looking? Sorry, I don't know the word for those.

Also, can we order extra blank "locator" keys? I'd love to put one on the 5/F5 key; I'm not used to having keyboards without separate F-key clusters so having that tactile feedback on the key will really help.

Are there any color caps that we won't be able to order extra "locator" keys?

Thanks again Ellipse.  :thumb:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1343 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 10:00:24 »
yes
yes - each extra key with nub is 3 units of the store item "$1 increments"
nope any one should be OK.

Offline Lagomorph

« Reply #1344 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 11:39:44 »
Perfect. Thanks again for your efforts and the quick reply.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1345 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 17:37:01 »
Here are the first factory photos of the unfinished springs made with IBM's original material spec (they have not yet had the final protective finish applied to match the originals).

The springs should be finished up and shipped this week by DHL Express.  I will examine them and hopefully sign off on them soon.

182585-0
182587-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 November 2017, 17:39:54 by Ellipse »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1346 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 17:39:22 »
Here are the first factory photos of the unfinished springs made with IBM's original material spec (they have not yet had the final protective finish applied to match the originals).

The springs should be finished up and shipped this week by DHL Express where I will examine them and hopefully sign off on them.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

fingers crossed
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1347 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 22:33:05 »
A small update: 

Inner assembly plates:  The 1000+ pounds of steel for the inner assembly plates finally arrived this week at the factory!  Next week starts the CNC laser cutting (next step for the plates). 

The production inner foam is still being cut. 

Still waiting on the spring samples to ship either tomorrow or early next week.

Offline Pete

« Reply #1348 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 03:58:50 »

The springs should be finished up and shipped this week by DHL Express.  I will examine them and hopefully sign off on them soon.

This must be the first time I have been excited by a bag of springs. Thanks for all the progress reports Ellipse.

I want to touch those springs so bad now...  :) 

Offline leech

• …always on the lookout for higher quality…
« Reply #1349 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 19:40:01 »
Is this a for-profit sale? 395$ for a retail-like end product is more than a realforce full RGB Topre.