Author Topic: key switch as "compliant mechanism"? What do you think?  (Read 23716 times)

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
key switch as "compliant mechanism"? What do you think?
« on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:19:34 »
Dear makers! I was lately introduced to "compliant mechanisms", which is basically mechanics without pieces, just one piece of plastic functioning like a complex mechanism. Which lead me to the question, why not have a compliant mechanism for a keyboard switch? Would that be possible? On-off-switches do exist and that's nothing difficult, but a bouncy and tacticle switch may be a challenge, if you try to create it from one single plastic piece? But if it's possible, this would open a whole new world: way cheaper, easier to maintain, printable by any john doe, customizable, and and and ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compliant_mechanism
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:24:26 by Eszett »

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
Re: key switch as "compliant mechanism"? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:34:23 »
I feel like I’d be wary on the basis of.. wear. Key switches have potentially may thousands of actuations per day. Springs are capable of handling that, as is a rubber dome, but a compliant mechanism, hmm, I wouldn’t rate it on the basis of this con from that wiki article:

“This, combined with the fact that mechanisms tend to perform cyclic or periodic motion, can cause fatigue and eventual failure of the structure”
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 18:41:36 »
Maybe one of those on-off-switches combined with a metal spring? That would decrease the risk of wear-out ...

Offline znellsnorps

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 November 2023, 05:38:26 »

membrane keyboard IS compliant mechanism