Author Topic: Vim Keycaps  (Read 31986 times)

Offline potatowire

Vim Keycaps
« on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 15:57:05 »
I had some Vim keycaps made, what do you think?

112549-0
112551-1
I'm going to get the letter legends smaller, I think.

Edit:
Pictures of the final product included here too.
117356-2
117358-3
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2015, 08:42:19 by potatowire »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Vim Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 22:16:25 »
Looks pretty good!

The font is a bit off but I think that's just because of what's used with SA Retro.

If I were to try this, I would get the color green you got, the font to match what's on SA Retro, and DIY side-print the arrow icons.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 08:58:27 »
I like the idea of front-printed arrows, but I wanted to match the style of the original ADM-3A terminal, which is the basis for Vim's HJKL nav.

More info here.

After sleeping on it, I am definitely going have the font made smaller, I just hope SP doesn't rake me over the coals by charging me the full price again. I bought a bunch of the Vim Caps Lock replacement keys, so hopefully selling those will offset this (probably) failed experiment.

Offline darkspider

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 09:26:56 »
wow, it's so cool. I like it :cool:
IBM Model F AT         Model M silver label    Model M gray label    Majestouch 2 Ninja

Brand New F62 Kishsaver / F77 Industrial Model F's made this year

Offline potatowire

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 09:35:22 »
Thank you!

Offline skaloola

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 05:09:22 »
hey, i definitely want in if you end up doing some kind of custom order from SP.  I unfortunately missed out on the VIM SA ESC (but got the capslock key from symbiosis..) ultimately I would like something to replace my leader key, capslock, and esc.

how did you order a bunch of the vim capslocks?  did you order a bunch of symbiosis kits or were you somehow able to make a custom order?

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 05:19:33 »
Ah another vim user :)

Offline Liocer

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 05:35:49 »
Fantastic :D, it's nice to know that we have some Vim users around. And those caps are really nice. Waiting on my DSAs from Signature plastics.

Offline kebby

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:27:46 »
Hmm, you mean you made a custom order for them from SP? How much does that stuff cost for something like this? I guess the vim molds were already made so a new one would be a completely different thing?

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 09:05:10 »
I like the idea of front-printed arrows, but I wanted to match the style of the original ADM-3A terminal, which is the basis for Vim's HJKL nav.

Show Image

More info here.

After sleeping on it, I am definitely going have the font made smaller, I just hope SP doesn't rake me over the coals by charging me the full price again. I bought a bunch of the Vim Caps Lock replacement keys, so hopefully selling those will offset this (probably) failed experiment.

How much were those?

Offline shinigamiyuk

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 15:15:10 »
I had some Vim keycaps made, what do you think?

I'm going to get the letter legends smaller, I think.

As a fellow Vim user I enjoy what you did here.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:56:11 »
Fantastic :D, it's nice to know that we have some Vim users around. And those caps are really nice. Waiting on my DSAs from Signature plastics.

Welcome to Geekhack!

How long have you been using Vim for?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:04:07 »
I'll also mention that there is a thread for Vim fans :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Liocer

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:21:01 »
I'll also mention that there is a thread for Vim fans :)
Probably about 10-15 years on and off, I've tried other editors but I keep coming back to vim, it really helps that my dotfiles can follow me around. :)

Offline potatowire

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 14:29:36 »
Hello all, I've been traveling and missed these new replies till now. I am glad to see there's been some interest!

I paid the regular tiered price for the caps locks (x cost per number of keys purchased), but on top of that I had to pay a couple hundred dollars for the new hjkl legends (four keys x two profiles).

The good news is that Melissa sent me a new set of keys with smaller letter legends, because she made a mistake in putting the order in. It's been said before, but she's great. I'm still away from home, but I'll take new pictures once I'm back.

I bought a bunch of extras, hoping I can make back my investment. I have everything in hand and will be selling them soon. I'd love to get some input on what you think a good price is (I'll also sell the caps lock separate from the hjkl keys, in case folks don't want both).

Offline kebby

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 17:12:14 »
Hello all, I've been traveling and missed these new replies till now. I am glad to see there's been some interest!

I paid the regular tiered price for the caps locks (x cost per number of keys purchased), but on top of that I had to pay a couple hundred dollars for the new hjkl legends (four keys x two profiles).

The good news is that Melissa sent me a new set of keys with smaller letter legends, because she made a mistake in putting the order in. It's been said before, but she's great. I'm still away from home, but I'll take new pictures once I'm back.

I bought a bunch of extras, hoping I can make back my investment. I have everything in hand and will be selling them soon. I'd love to get some input on what you think a good price is (I'll also sell the caps lock separate from the hjkl keys, in case folks don't want both).

Thanks! that's really interesting to me because I've been thinking about getting a novelty with a custom legend made myself. Guess I should contact SP to find out more.

Love the HJKL. Don't really know about the pricing, guess looking at what WASD sets and novelties typically cost is a good start.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 05:29:56 by kebby »

Offline Liocer

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 17:16:07 »
I'd def take some!

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:00:58 »
I would take a set so long as the price isn't completely crazy.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:51:19 »
They look very nice, but the font is larger than the rest of the alphas, as someone pointed already.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:03:38 »
They look very nice, but the font is larger than the rest of the alphas, as someone pointed already.
I agree (SP put the order in wrong), and I have new versions waiting for me at home. I'll post updated pictures when I return from my travels.

Offline thefebruaryman

• turn it off and turn it on again
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 13:20:31 »
The only way is vim. You put in the time to learn her and she never stops giving back

Offline potatowire

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 14:11:28 »
The only way is vim. You put in the time to learn her and she never stops giving back

Truer words were never spoken...

Offline tronbeaver

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 10:59:23 »
Time for a Group Buy!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 15:10:21 »
I agree (SP put the order in wrong), and I have new versions waiting for me at home. I'll post updated pictures when I return from my travels.

It would be great to take a look at them.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 15:44:51 »

It would be great to take a look at them.
Here's a quick phone pic. I'll take some better ones later.

This is more like what I had in mind.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:12:06 by potatowire »

Offline potatowire

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:18:09 »

Time for a Group Buy!

I'm pretty sure I bought enough for everyone who's interested right now, so there should be no need for a group buy. I have the keycaps, so I just need to get packing materials and decide on a pricing.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:47:15 »
Couple more pictures on my boards.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:07:21 »
Would GMK make an HJKL set with pad printed arrows?

Offline potatowire

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 17:01:43 »
I figured GMK's MOQ would be too high, but I have considered JTK (once they finish their initial runs) or Gateron. I would like these in Cherry profile, for sure. I'll see how well these sell and maybe try that next.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 17:06:15 »
I figured GMK's MOQ would be too high, but I have considered JTK (once they finish their initial runs) or Gateron. I would like these in Cherry profile, for sure. I'll see how well these sell and maybe try that next.

I bet the more feasible option would be Gateron in dye sub. JTK is not taking custom orders at the moment.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 17:32:32 »

I bet the more feasible option would be Gateron in dye sub. JTK is not taking custom orders at the moment.
Agreed. I'll have to figure out how to talk to them about custom orders. A brief search of the interwebs didn't bear any fruit last time I tried.

Offline Jhonan

• Chicks love duck pics...
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 18:23:45 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:10:06 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:17:20 »
i remember these
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:49:03 »
i remember these

no you don't, you old ****

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:50:55 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:57:51 »
Such enlightening banter :p

Offline potatowire

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 11:10:20 »
Alright, I am prepping this for launch (on a separate thread in the classifieds, so as not to anger the mods).

I plan to go for a sales price of $6 for the Caps Lock replacement, $10 for the set of HJKL keys, and $15 for both. I have SA and DSA profiles. The keys are already on hand, so shipment will be pretty much right away (waiting for packing materials to arrive).

Hopefully this strikes a good balance between a fair price and one that allows me to recoup some of the money it cost me to have these made. If I more than break even, I'll roll that money into a couple other projects I have in mind.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 11:59:07 »
I like this as much even for buying one DSA set just for the sake of getting them to use. :thumb:

Offline gabamnml

• I have no idea what i'm doing
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 15:32:57 »
Awesome!

I need this keycaps...

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 15:40:44 »
I'll gladly take a set of each when you decide to sell them. :thumb:

Thanks for investing in getting these caps made, I'm sure you'll be able to make your money back.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Homenubbie

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 16:41:15 »
Signature Plastics sells a VIM key.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 17:36:26 »

This is more than the VIM Key, it's the HJKL keys as well.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 17:59:19 »
I will be in for a set also--well done!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:14:15 »
Thank you all for the support. I appreciate it!

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:22:59 »
Yes, please be sure to update on this thread when you post the the buying thread. At such a low price there's no way I can't buy a set or two.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:47:49 »

SP does make these, true, but they didn't have any of the Caps Lock replacements in stock at the time (they still don't, as far as I can tell), so I placed an order.

This is more than the VIM Key, it's the HJKL keys as well.

As Steezus said (thank you!), the HJKL keys are the different thing here. I had the idea I wanted the keys from the ADM-3A terminal, but in Vim green, and these are the result.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:42:35 »
Yes, please be sure to update on this thread when you post the the buying thread. At such a low price there's no way I can't buy a set or two.

I will definitely post here as soon as I am ready to go. Thank you for the support!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 21:59:17 »
Hello all, I have a huge box of packing materials in my basement, and a Shopify store created, so I am ready to sell my extras. I am setting up a classifieds post, but the site to purchase is at vimcaps.com. I need to take some better pictures and make things a little prettier, but it should be functional. Let me know if you have any trouble or feedback. I *think* Shopify will make everything easier, but it is an experiment too, so please let me know if it sucks.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 17:36:09 »
Ordered a set of each -- expect you'll see a bit of pushback on that shipping, though -- $10.00 is a little stiff for shipping a few keycaps. Good luck with the sale!