Author Topic: Plastic sheeting for between Model F XT PCB and backplate  (Read 1966 times)

Offline OldIsNew

Plastic sheeting for between Model F XT PCB and backplate
« on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 23:54:24 »
I've started restoring a IBM F XT board that didn't show any signs of previously being opened, but when I removed the PCB the clear plastic sheet between the PCB and backplate that I've come across before wasn't there. The keyboard has been working fine but both the backplate and PCB are showing signs of corrosion where they've been in contact and I want to make a replacement for the plastic sheet:

167621-0       167623-1    167625-2

I've had a little difficulty finding clear plastic sheets of adequate size  but did find these: http://www.staples.com/Grafix-Impress-Stencil-Film-Clear-16-x-20-6-Pack/product_1545612
Does anyone see any potential problems using this type material, or have any other suggestions?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Plastic sheeting for between Model F XT PCB and backplate
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 09:01:32 »
I always assumed that it was clear mylar (polyester) since that is a material that is almost entirely inert and impervious. Before CAD, large sheets of clear (frosted) mylar were common for drafting.

That said, I doubt that the material is particularly important since it is in a sheltered environment and probably won't see much abuse.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 14:17:23 »
I always assumed that it was clear mylar (polyester) ...
That said, I doubt that the material is particularly important since it is in a sheltered environment and probably won't see much abuse.

Thanks for the reply! The Grafix sheets are made of Dura-Lar - I figured they`d be ok and it looks like that should be the case. From a product description:

"Dura-Lar is a polyester film that’s a mix between Mylar and Acetate. This film comes in a variety of different types (wet media, matte, clear, etc.) which all have specific features but overall, Dura-Lar is heat-resistant, durable (will not tear, absorb color, or discolor), and is acid free and archival."

I`m going to pick some up as see how it works.

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 13:57:03 »
I've been restoring some Model F's so this might come in handy.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.