Author Topic: PupKeys - by Vito (Process for creating the MacroCap)  (Read 2437 times)

Offline vito687

PupKeys - by Vito (Process for creating the MacroCap)
« on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 14:09:06 »
-- Going to take some time to update this since things are drastically different now, would have deleted but cant figure that out--
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 June 2019, 10:42:30 by vito687 »

Offline AuthenticDanger

Re: PupKeys - by Vito (Process for creating the MacroCap)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 15:12:53 »
Instead of spending time gluing qtips on for sprues, you can just punch them after you have both halves of your mold done. I use 12 gauge hollow dispensing needles and it's *way* faster than messing with qtips and it also doesn't ruin a cap in the process.

Also, for "keying" your mold, it's helpful to make sure that you can only start to put the mold together 1 way. Having 4 columns that are the same size might lead to issues down the road since you can get the mold most of the way together before the mold physically stops you.

Good luck on your journey!
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline vito687

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 16:04:01 »
Instead of spending time gluing qtips on for sprues, you can just punch them after you have both halves of your mold done. I use 12 gauge hollow dispensing needles and it's *way* faster than messing with qtips and it also doesn't ruin a cap in the process.

Also, for "keying" your mold, it's helpful to make sure that you can only start to put the mold together 1 way. Having 4 columns that are the same size might lead to issues down the road since you can get the mold most of the way together before the mold physically stops you.

Good luck on your journey!

Thank you! The thought with the 4 way key was because I was planning for a synth, I also thought it might help with the stem.  Good idea on the needles and poking sprues after !

Do you have any tricks for getting silicone all the way down into a stem? So far I’ve had about one successful mold haha, the rest come out like a + but without a center if that makes sense.   

I’ve made about 4 versions of molds of this little guy and likely I’ll do more before I get to my “final”

Appreciate the advice !

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:52:47 »
Do you have any tricks for getting silicone all the way down into a stem? So far I’ve had about one successful mold haha, the rest come out like a + but without a center if that makes sense.   

I’ve made about 4 versions of molds of this little guy and likely I’ll do more before I get to my “final”

Appreciate the advice !

Because silicone has a rather long pot life, you have enough time to really take care with the stem and make sure that all the air is out.

I usually load a blob of silicone onto the tip of a toothpick and work it into once side of the stem so that it seeps around to the other side, repeating 2-3 times. The goal is to force the silicone to the bottom of the stem while allowing air to escape.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline vito687

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 10:55:54 »
Since the previous post I had tried that and have had no stem issues now :D progress comes quickly in these beginning times.  Appreciate you replying