Author Topic: [ENDED] '95 Model M 51G8572 (speaker), $49 shipped  (Read 4839 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[ENDED] '95 Model M 51G8572 (speaker), $49 shipped
« on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 22:04:01 »
IBM Mechanical "Clicky" Vintage Keyboard Model M

$49.99 + free US shipping

Made for IBM's RS/6000 system; one of the few Model M's with an actual speaker behind the speaker grille. R Ctrl key says "Ctrl/Act". PS/2 compatible. This one's missing a numpad cap, but otherwise looks great.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 August 2018, 03:55:24 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: [ENDED] '95 Model M 51G8572 (speaker), $49 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 10:58:45 »
Hmmm, but would the speaker work with just a regular pc?  If it did, it would drive my wife up the wall even more when I typed on it at night in the bedroom. :D

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 03:24:38 »
Hmmm, but would the speaker work with just a regular pc?  If it did, it would drive my wife up the wall even more when I typed on it at night in the bedroom. :D

The speakers in Model M's didn't produce a keypress sound, Samir. The few Model M variants with actual speakers came with IBM UNIX terminal emulators, and made the "beep" sound UNIX systems made when they needed to get the operator's attention. (For example, in a token ring system, if you tried to send data to one of the other terminals on the network and it didn't respond.) One of the olde-timers here explained it to me once.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 12:17:51 »
Drat.  And I thought I had found the solution to her complaining about a normal M's sounds.  :))

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 19:48:43 »
Drat.  And I thought I had found the solution to her complaining about a normal M's sounds.  :))

I wonder if it'd be possible to write an app that used a mic to monitor a keyboard's sound, and played the inverse waveform over a speaker to cancel it out? You know, the way noise-cancelling headphones and helicopters work?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 12:03:37 »

I wonder if it'd be possible to write an app that used a mic to monitor a keyboard's sound, and played the inverse waveform over a speaker to cancel it out? You know, the way noise-cancelling headphones and helicopters work?

I'm sure any noise cancelling algorithm would work well for this.  My idea was to make it beep and click and then she would be okay when I went back to just clicking, haha.  Of course, there is that web site that will make any keyboard sounds like an mech, even a model M--that's always fun to use wtih an actual model M, lol.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 21:55:57 »
Samir—you have 20 1390401s? Or are they various p/n's?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:36:19 »
Samir—you have 20 1390401s? Or are they various p/n's?

I think they are various part numbers, but the same basic Model M made by either IBM or Lexmark but labelled IBM.  Some day I need to round them all up and get them cleaned and pretty, but I'm too busy using them. :D