Author Topic: Varmilo VA87MR, updated, pics added :thumb:  (Read 9404 times)

Offline skuko

Varmilo VA87MR, updated, pics added :thumb:
« on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 10:34:14 »
hi guys,

so there's seems to be quite some confusion on about these boards, let me put in my two cents.

from the first time i saw this board, fell in love with it's case, very low profile, "floating" caps design, without any ugly logos on it (unlike the noppoo "lolita" bull****).

unfortunately, there is a lot of confusion, because apparently these boards come in different varieties and noone seems to be able to identify which is actually which.

so far i have seen

- board without backlighting and costar stabs
- board without backlighting and cherry stabs
- the above with different kinds of leds and either costar or cherry stabs
- and then there are the variants with gateron switches.

at first, i really hunted for a mx clear version, but those are extremely hard to come by and AFAIK were only available during the first massdrop buy. i did not want to buy it then and afterwards i was bummed out to find that they didn't offer mx clears in any of the subsequent drops.

anyway, i made the switch from tactile (topre 45g FC660C) back to linear (mx reds), pulled out my trusty filco and found my old love for the light switch :) this time around i have ordered this board from ebay (joliesanz), even though it was significantly more expensive than anything else i saw either on ebay or aliexpress, because according to their pictures this was the board with costar stabs (which i do prefer over cherry stabs) and genuine cherry mx red switches.

it was almost 200$ shipped, but i bit the bullet and now i'm typing this review on it.
i must say i love the board, it is way more silent than the filco or the QFR stealth with mx reds i have. this is because of the extremely low profiel case not echoing the bottoming out sounds (or at least i think so).

the board is built extremely well, i will post pictures later. it came with costar stabs, but they were in the inner positions, so the spacebar inserts were in the non-standard position and the spacebar wire is shorter. i have switched them into the outer positions and changed the wire from a QFR stealth and put on imsto thick pbt caps. (again, pics will follow later) it has a very nice silver coated plate and even though it has some scratches/smudges, they're not visible during normal use, it doesn't bother me.

my only gripe is that it wobbles just a tiny bit. the bottom left corner is a bit in the air and i cannot identify whether the whole case is bent (because it's just a really tiny bit), or the rubber foot in the bottom left corner is a bit shorter. right now as i am typing though (and bagning it hard, bottoming out and all), i cannot feel it wobbling, i have to deliberately push the casing in the bottom left corner to actually feel it wobble, so i guess it's ok :)

i have some pics and will post them later when i am at home, or tomorrow.

bottomline - my board is the VA87MR, cherry mx red switches, no backlight (except for caps and scroll lock leds), white case. i think the GMK classic beige will look totally sexy on this :)

exactly this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Varmilo-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Switch-White-Body-Blue-Key-Red-Switches-/331591054821?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

except if you look at their pictures closely, it shows the costar stabs in the outer positions, which is not true, they were in the inner positions.

edit:

adding pics, as promised :) excuse the potato quality, i only have an xperia z2, no proper camera :(

spacebar comparison - top imsto thick PBT, bottom varmilo PBT stock, as you can see, it has standard stem spacing, but original inserts are in the non standard (leopold, i guess) positions
107729-0

original PBT caps and what it looked like after replacing the costar stab wire with the one from QFR stealth
107731-1

full imsto cherry profile thick PBT set on, i think it's SHMEXY :)
107733-2
107735-3
107737-4

blurry, but you can see on the left how the foot floats about half a milimeter above the table (and no, my table is not bent :) )
107739-5

some barebones photos before the storm :), also you can see that the plate is pretty nice, even though it has some scuffs/scratches...
107741-6
107743-7
107745-8

oh SNAP! looks like a unicorn vomited on my board LOL (lovely matt3o's PBT granite DSA - one of the most beautiful sets i have seen)
107747-9
107749-10

also, worth mentioning that it came with some extra stabilizer mounts and inserts, which is always nice
107751-11

now i just need to order some extra stabilizer wires :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 01:49:09 by skuko »

Offline rm-rf

Re: Varmilo VA87MR (very short, placeholder, will expand on this later)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:03:29 »

Offline scubaste

Re: Varmilo VA87MR (very short, placeholder, will expand on this later)
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:22:24 »
Nice review, I really wan't to try one of these boards out. I have fixed a similar wobble just by twisting the whole board in the opposite direction of the wobble.

Offline skuko

Re: Varmilo VA87MR, updated, pics added :thumb:
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 01:49:50 »
pictures added, sorry for the poor quality :)

Offline Data

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 11:19:55 »
 :thumb:  :thumb:

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 09:01:33 »
I just joined the Massdrop buy for this which ends today. I'm getting a white case, Gateron blacks, mint front-printed caps, and white LEDs.

I'm not sure why I want this board. I'm not a huge TKL person. I'm not big on backlighting. I generally prefer custom boards. And yet here I am.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline skuko

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 09:43:44 »
Nice review, I really wan't to try one of these boards out. I have fixed a similar wobble just by twisting the whole board in the opposite direction of the wobble.

tried it, didn't budge. this is built like a tank.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 13:15:15 »

tried it, didn't budge. this is built like a tank.

I would try some coarse sandpaper on the bumpons. Just whittle them down until they're all even.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline OnlyOnceKB

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 12:50:15 »
i recently seen all types of varmilo on massdrop. good write up, i was curious on how these boards were.

Offline Kliwon

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 20:51:11 »
nice review sir  :thumb:
for gateron switch also uses costar stabillizers too?

Offline 108

• Yeet. Yeet.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 20:56:55 »
Great review mane, most dope!  ;D