Author Topic: [GB] GMK SKIDATA+ R1 Complete [Closed]  (Read 1465637 times)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: [GB] GMK SKIDATA+ (Pre-Orders Open Now)
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:25:51 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

I..I just...I'm...oh god.

That black Lion Keyng and Skullthulu with heterochromia...

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:31:37 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

Good god, that triple-shot colorway is sweet, the result is really clean.

The color pack/space-bars/re-legendables are great. I may have to sit this one out but will see what $ can be put aside for this.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:47:55 by GSimon »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:39:24 »
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 12:46:52 »
I can't wait until the sorting (*for shipping)  party  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:05:04 by radio_killah »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:59:46 »
Hi Karura, I asked this in the IC thread, and I have to ask it again here. Is there a way for you to add 2x R4 1.25x blanks and 2x R4 1x blanks to this very nice set? I find the existence of win keys in my keyboards very disturbing :p

I've made some research. The only GMK sets that have these blanks are:

• classic beige (1.25x only)
  • sky dolch
  • electric bluegaloo (modifier only, 1.25x only)
  • miami nights (only one 1x)

It will be very nice if skidata+ can provide them too.

Oh, if you can provide them, I'm willing to pay extra for these blanks.

To answer you a short answer, there will not be any changes made to the keysets.

Long answer:
It was a conscious decision early on during the design process of SKIDATA+ to offer as many keys with legends as possible, even then, we ended up with a huge keyset that ended up being 137 keys already. (Almost too many, too big, but just about covers all the different layouts).
There are many reasons for this that are objective, such as pricing. GMK's pricing for keys are expensive, regardless if they're blanks or doubleshots or padprinted, as well as the requirements of every single key you see in the SKIDATA+ keysets being a minimum of 250 MOQ, something that is not easy to achieve, and we are going to need as much support as we can offer, as a community, to reach it.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:06:13 »
Nice set, unfortunately I can't warrant such a large set on my budget. One question though, would a future relegendable GB be possible/feasible? They sound very nice, and a set of them with different colored caps would be a great investment to add some flair/flexibility to any keyset.

Unfortunately it is currently out of the question, as they are very expensive to make, and require a MOQ to be made and padprinted, keeping in mind that the pricing will always be expensive for a custom job. It is quite a financial risk that I am taking by paying for it out of pocket. The funds that go through ZealPC are all untouched and reserved for payment towards the keysets. This is all out of pocket, and you can consider it to be an extra addition/bonus option that was never meant to be feasible, but nevertheless, it is available, if not only for now. :) Order now if you want a set, there is no guarantees that they will be coming back in the future.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:14:34 »
Just curious what's the reasoning for not just leaving the relegendables completely blank? i.e. no side printing

If this was discussed somewhere already I apologize. :D

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:21:30 »
Also how is it relehendable if the top is opaque orange?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:30:16 »
Gratz on getting this huge GB started  :thumb:

I have followed the IC very closely and I know how much thought you put into everything. Unfortunately I can't get used to the icon only modifiers. I know you want to stay true to the original which is completely fine of course, but for me it's a dealbreaker. I love the color scheme, but I just can't justify spending that amount of money on a set I will probably not use.

Having said that I wish you all the best for your GB. Hopefully it won't be a last minute struggle to reach MOQ  :thumb:

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:42:39 »
Also how is it relehendable if the top is opaque orange?

Very good point. Traditionally the shape/profile/type of these keycaps are called "Relegendables", but when using opaque Orange plastic, it becomes "two-toned" keycaps really. :P

That said, each Relegendable keycap will come with BOTH the Clear and the Orange relegendable tops.
With that idea, you'd be able to 100% recreate the Skidata relegendables, or if you like, a more vibrant look with the Orange tops. :)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 14:44:05 »
I can't wait until the sorting party  :thumb:

Party party party!! :D

Although in this case, it wouldn't be the traditional sorting party, since almost all the keycaps will arrive sorted in GMK baggies. :)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:06:03 »
Will be back to answer more questions in a bit. There are a lot of very good questions, and I am more than happy to answer them! :thumb:

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:13:31 »
Those are really beautiful images and perfectly captures the Skidata colours. Thanks for sharing! ;)

Are you using a DSLR and natural lighting?

I'd say a colourpack would really complement that base set, haha. :) I hope you do consider it!

The colorpack is really an option! I use a DSLR, and a mixture of all lights like flash, the sun, and everything that makes some light :) Mostly flash light for keycaps though, the sun reaches not that often to the desktop, only in the evening in the winter or fall or spring when the sun is standing low. I'm glad you like the pictures! Use everything what you want.
... ...

Offline priyadi

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:22:02 »
To answer you a short answer, there will not be any changes made to the keysets.

That's a bummer. I guess I'll have to sit this out and wait for another GMK run, again. Anyway, good luck with the group buy.
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline kebby

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:27:06 »
I kind of expected this kind of price range with all the goodies that are included... I'm just really Giorgio that there's no homing bars for F/J :( I'm glad there's a decent amount of time to consider, I do need a dark keyset but I'm starting to struggle to find boards to put keysets on.

Wait... so is there any kind of a difference that you can use to locate them by touch for F/J?

I thought this set at this price point was bad news for my wallet... and then Infinity DSA reappeared almost at the same moment, ouch! I was thinking I shouldn't buy more sets and now the two I've really been wanting to get become available at the same time.

Offline joey

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:32:15 »
I kind of expected this kind of price range with all the goodies that are included... I'm just really Giorgio that there's no homing bars for F/J :( I'm glad there's a decent amount of time to consider, I do need a dark keyset but I'm starting to struggle to find boards to put keysets on.

Wait... so is there any kind of a difference that you can use to locate them by touch for F/J?

I thought this set at this price point was bad news for my wallet... and then Infinity DSA reappeared almost at the same moment, ouch! I was thinking I shouldn't buy more sets and now the two I've really been wanting to get become available at the same time.
There is a "scoop" in F/J.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:50:57 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

DAAAAYAYAYAYAAAAAAAAYYYUUUUMMM

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:53:39 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

pretty sure that picture alone convinced me to get in on this buy

darn u for being so awesome binge
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline kebby

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:55:30 »
There is a "scoop" in F/J.

Thanks. Yeah, scoops work for me just as well. Just need to have some way to find that home position.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 16:00:08 »
Beautiful key selection, nice colorway... now I just need to convince myself that I need another GMK set for that price :D

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:19:26 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

pretty sure that picture alone convinced me to get in on this buy

darn u for being so awesome binge

Yeeeee boi. I hope I get a Binge seeing as I missed out on the Zealio Binges. :-X

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:32:43 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

oh no it's Binge
now I would feel even more depressed if I don't win the raffle, or that particular keythulu  :rolleyes:
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:36:26 »

Due to the difficulty of actually getting enough orders for GMK sets, it is usually harder to obtain and will not be re-run. Comparatively, it is easily to re-run SP/PMK sets, as they are a bit easier to reach MOQ. Infinity DSA is also very cool, so it's up to you. :thumb: I look forward to seeing your order if you pick up a set. :)

There will be scoops on the F and J.

There is also a lot of comparison to the GMK HyperFuse set, and I would also like to address that:
Please keep in mind GMK HyperFuse originally had way less keys at a MOQ of 250, and it only got extra keys when it reached a MOQ of 400, and did not come sorted for the price.
Here is the original render of the GMK HyperFuse keys at a MOQ of 250:
http://i.imgur.com/kqhowFK.png

This is very interesting, and something I did not realise about Hyperfuse.

I suppose you could look at Hyperfuse as rewarding people who committed to it with extra keys, but also as punishing those who want/need those keys if 400 people could not be found to buy the set.

Skidata+ here doesn't force people to rely on the buy achieving that 400 mountain for the keys they need, however it begs the question - what is the reward for reaching 400 orders? Surely there are very few extra keys needed, but are the logistics of 400 partial refunds viable? Forgive me if this has been answered already, I've not seen any info on this yet though.

I appreciate the question, and I'm happy to answer. :thumb:

To be completely honest with you, the MOQ of 250 is already a big challenge, and won't be that easy to accomplish. We are going to need everyone's support, as early as possible, to reach this goal. I have faith that we will be able to. :)

When we reach 400 MOQ, there will definitely be some additions, one being dash/bars homing keys for the F and J, as well some bonus novelty keys. :)
It'll be up to the community to show what they would like to see! I do already have some ideas, but let's take a step back and make sure we reach 250 MOQ first. :thumb:

Those are really beautiful images and perfectly captures the Skidata colours. Thanks for sharing! ;)

Are you using a DSLR and natural lighting?

I'd say a colourpack would really complement that base set, haha. :) I hope you do consider it!

The colorpack is really an option! I use a DSLR, and a mixture of all lights like flash, the sun, and everything that makes some light :) Mostly flash light for keycaps though, the sun reaches not that often to the desktop, only in the evening in the winter or fall or spring when the sun is standing low. I'm glad you like the pictures! Use everything what you want.

Thanks for sharing your setup! I also use a flashlight for some of my keycap photography haha. A high CRI one works really well.

I hope you'll consider picking up a Base Set as well, you need a backup for that OG set. :) Also, it would be cool, since you could take more awesome photos of SKIDATA+ to share! :)

That's a bummer. I guess I'll have to sit this out and wait for another GMK run, again. Anyway, good luck with the group buy.

You could definitely still pick up a SKIDATA+ set, as I don't believe a lot of GMK sets will include blanks. This is not a set to miss out on!

Luckily for you, SKIDATA+ Base Set shares the same charcoal grey colours as Ivan's GMK Dolch, and GMK Sky Dolch, both containing 1.25x blanks that are an exact match for the SKIDATA+ set. There should be many, and are very likely to find one in classifieds. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:41:23 by Karura »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #123 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:45:09 »
Is Zeal planning on buying some sets if we fall short of MOQ? Or any other vendors such as Techkeys, UKKeycaps or even Ctrl-Alt?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:00:44 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

Mind blown... That shade of blue is perfect.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:03:06 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

That Keytulu is perfect  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:15:19 »
Is Zeal planning on buying some sets if we fall short of MOQ? Or any other vendors such as Techkeys, UKKeycaps or even Ctrl-Alt?

The plan is to meet MOQ at all costs, so there will be a conscious effort to garner more support. I am unable to answer for the vendors, but all that can be done is being done to make sure we make it. The best chance we have at meeting MOQ would be to have a lot of early orders, have it snowball past the 250 MOQ mark, and we would even have extra keycaps with the set once it reaches the 400 MOQ milestone.

I highly recommend against waiting until the very last minute to place an order. The stronger we start off with, the stronger we end. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:18:12 by Karura »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:32:31 »

The plan is to meet MOQ at all costs, so there will be a conscious effort to garner more support. I am unable to answer for the vendors, but all that can be done is being done to make sure we make it. The best chance we have at meeting MOQ would be to have a lot of early orders, have it snowball past the 250 MOQ mark, and we would even have extra keycaps with the set once it reaches the 400 MOQ milestone.

I highly recommend against waiting until the very last minute to place an order. The stronger we start off with, the stronger we end. :thumb:
Wow! It sounds like it can be expensive depending on how things play out.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 20:17:09 »
Wow! It sounds like it can be expensive depending on how things play out.

This is why it's always recommended to join during the GB stage as opposed to later, so you can secure a set at the best price. There will be no guarantees as to how vendors will go about pricing them afterwards.
Join now for the GB price, and help the make SKIDATA+ come true. :) We need all the support we can get from the community.

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 20:28:35 »
It occurs to me that this is the perfect set for a Halloween color themed board. Spoopy timing!  :p

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 20:30:39 »
Man I'd love this but I can only go as far a the color set price wise and then brave the very possible wife aggro.  But I'm still trying to rationalize...

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 20:53:03 »
I bought everything and it worked out to $450 Australian.
Might need to reconsider this one :( wallethack is too strong

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:02:25 »

Wow, bro that is a lot of money, someone has deep pockets in Australia.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:08:48 »

Nah someone is just stupid with money sometimes

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 21:12:04 »
and convert that to Indonesian Rupiah....
#cry and Skidata+ still took my money

I've never been this hype for a keyset though, even more than my Dolch swag
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 22:03:39 »

Australia use plastic money. 450 AUD is like £25 isn't it? ;)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 22:13:49 »

Australia use plastic money. 450 AUD is like £25 isn't it? ;)
I thought they use, like, cigarettes and friendship, or something.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 22:56:47 »

Your contribution of your firstborn child towards this greater good is strongly appreciated! :))

It occurs to me that this is the perfect set for a Halloween color themed board. Spoopy timing!  :p

It's gonna be an extra spoopy Halloween next year :O

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 03:15:33 »

Your contribution of your firstborn child towards this greater good is strongly appreciated! :))

:))

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 04:14:03 »
Just wanted to touch upon what would happen in the event that we reach 400 orders for each set:

Regarding the MOQ of 400, I do plan to include extra keys once we hit that mark. Some keys that are already decided for the base set would be the F and J keys with dashes/bars homing profile, and perhaps some DE ISO keys to add more authenticity. I would have liked to include these keys in the beginning, but as you've already seen, pricing becomes an issue as a set becomes larger.

For the Colour Pack, there have been some ideas as well, mostly to include the missing Orange navigation keys, as well as the Numpad section, for a true Cherry-style colour theme.

Of course these will be up to the community and what the community wants; hopefully we'd be able to satiate as many appetites as possible.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2015, 04:16:59 by Karura »

Offline kebby

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 05:29:54 »
Just wanted to touch upon what would happen in the event that we reach 400 orders for each set:

Regarding the MOQ of 400, I do plan to include extra keys once we hit that mark. Some keys that are already decided for the base set would be the F and J keys with dashes/bars homing profile, and perhaps some DE ISO keys to add more authenticity. I would have liked to include these keys in the beginning, but as you've already seen, pricing becomes an issue as a set becomes larger.

For the Colour Pack, there have been some ideas as well, mostly to include the missing Orange navigation keys, as well as the Numpad section, for a true Cherry-style colour theme.

Of course these will be up to the community and what the community wants; hopefully we'd be able to satiate as many appetites as possible.
Thanks for the explanation. Going to be hard to reach those numbers I fear but it's reassuring to know that pretty much all the issues people have mentioned with this set are conscious cost-saving measures. Seems like we well-designed GB.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #141 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 06:17:07 »

Well you already know my suggestion: a 1.25x blank for 60% users 🏻
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline wodan

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 07:22:38 »
I'm in. would love to see some ISO-DE caps added if MOQ allows ...

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #143 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 07:55:04 »

Maybe I am being silly,  but aren't the orange navigation (arrow)  keys currently in the color pack?  Or are you referring to adding a wasd xluster?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 07:59:38 »

Maybe I am being silly,  but aren't the orange navigation (arrow)  keys currently in the color pack?  Or are you referring to adding a wasd xluster?
I think he means that cluster right above the arrows.

The keys with 400 MOQ would make this set perfect for me. Let's hope it's not just a dream.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 08:15:24 »

I think he means that cluster right above the arrows.

The keys with 400 MOQ would make this set perfect for me. Let's hope it's not just a dream.

Ah, that cluster... yea that would be cool... although this will be going on my Lightsaver. This is an expensive option, but I am going to have the whole board in the grey with orange legends, except the arrows, caps lock, and if there were a WASD cluster, those.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #146 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 13:57:49 »
DE ISO keys
If this happens at 400, I will do literally anything to buy this set up to 400. This is the dream.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #147 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 14:40:14 »
Happy Halloween! ;D

These photos are a good representation of how SKIDATA+ caps will look in person. Cheers! :thumb:

Re-legendables

Side-printed F-row Legends on the Re-legendables, up close

Two-coloured Re-legendables! Ours will be similar, but in Orange

Full album with more photos: http://imgur.com/a/AIc18
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2015, 14:53:45 by Karura »

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 15:30:09 »
is it too late to add in stuff? I don't think I see any language specific ISO keys.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 15:36:21 »
I would love the orange numpad set. We can do this guys, I believe :)