Author Topic: Hello Everyone! (A newbie looking for advice)  (Read 979 times)

Offline Pawn Deerest

Hello Everyone! (A newbie looking for advice)
« on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:31:50 »
Hey everyone!

I'm a 19yo university student who's studying aeronautical engineering and is in desperate need of a hobby haha

Every since I saw my first custom mechanical keyboard I've always wanted to build them myself. I've always been good with precision work with my hands and enjoy the satisfaction of seeing something I dreamed come to life. That being said, I didn't really know where to start and so put this off for far too long.

A couple of years down the road and I ran into yet another beautiful custom made keyboard and decided I had put this off enough. A few google searches and youtube "how to's" later I landed here.

All of this is to say that I really am looking into getting into this hobby but don't really know where I should start. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

I can't wait to be building and buying alongside all of you!!   

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: Hello Everyone! (A newbie looking for advice)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 13:36:43 »
Welcome :)

I'd recommend just looking around, ICs usually has some stuff that you might not have thought of.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Maledicted

Re: Hello Everyone! (A newbie looking for advice)
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 16:51:23 »
Hey everyone!

I'm a 19yo university student who's studying aeronautical engineering and is in desperate need of a hobby haha

Every since I saw my first custom mechanical keyboard I've always wanted to build them myself. I've always been good with precision work with my hands and enjoy the satisfaction of seeing something I dreamed come to life. That being said, I didn't really know where to start and so put this off for far too long.

A couple of years down the road and I ran into yet another beautiful custom made keyboard and decided I had put this off enough. A few google searches and youtube "how to's" later I landed here.

All of this is to say that I really am looking into getting into this hobby but don't really know where I should start. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated!

I can't wait to be building and buying alongside all of you!!   

Hi Pawn Deerest. Welcome to Geekhack.

What switches have you tried? Which do you like?

I think a lot of people would agree that you probably want to figure out what types of switches you like, and start narrowing down which switches within those categories you may prefer. I don't think many people end up sticking with Cherry MX, so keep your horizons broad.

What you do as far as a board goes until then matters a lot less, unless you want to do a lot of soldering and desoldering on the same board, or want to get a fancy hot swap board. There are cons to hot swap sockets though as well, so they're usually best for trying out switches in real-world applications.