Author Topic: Vinegar is able to clean the white haze off alcohol damaged key caps?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline ShangWang

https://www.quora.com/Is-70-isopropyl-alcohol-perfect-to-clean-earbuds-Can-99-damage-the-plastics/answer/Robert-Charles-Lee?__filter__=all&__nsrc__=notif_page&__sncid__=20868225009&__snid3__=28778421839

I'm using the ABS keycaps from the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro.

I was asking a different question regarding using alcohol on earbuds, and this person says that "a white haze, which can be removed by rubbing with a cloth or immersion in 50/50 vinegar/water solution."

Has anyone tried this? Will vinegar damage the plastic as much as alcohol or is it generally safer and can possibly get rid of haze?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Vinegar is able to clean the white haze off alcohol damaged key caps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 11:39:13 »
Do you have any pictures? This haze almost sounds like it's just the legends of lasered caps rubbing off. Looking at the listing for the board, it looks like that may be the case.

Offline ShangWang

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 13:00:39 »
I do have lasered keycaps which shouldn't wear off, but people still say you can damage the ABS plastics with alcohol which I assume is a white a haze: https://imgur.com/a/Xlp8v

I'm not sure what to look for at the keycaps listing, I'm a bit new here.

What I'd like to know is whether or not vinegar can actually get rid of the white haze, not that I have it but I'm curious. Is vinegar also safer to use than alcohol on ABS and won't damage the plastic?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 15:43:40 »
Oh god, that looks weird af, I've never seen it before, but I'm mostly sure vinegar wouldn't do any harm.

Offline ShangWang

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 15:44:39 »
Thanks, do you think it might clean off the haze though?