Author Topic: How many keycaps sets do you have and how often do you swap them?  (Read 5549 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
How many keycaps sets do you have and how often do you swap them?
« on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 04:57:01 »
I was wondering, how many keycaps sets do you guys have and how often do you swap them?
Do you swap just for differen theme, or do you prefer to change profiles from time to time?
Do you have your preffered caps profile+switches combo?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline zslane

Re: How many keycaps sets do you have and how often do you swap them?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 11:49:59 »
I probably have around two dozen keycap sets, but I haven't been swapping at all since I got my hands on MT3 Dasher last year.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 12:17:44 »
I have 5 sets or so and I just go with whatever looks nicest on my boards

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 13:21:54 »
12 boards with 10 sets.  The problem will be what to do with all the extra sets I'll have by the end of next year, lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline madrone

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 00:44:00 »
3 boards, 3 sets.  No swapping until the group buys I entered time out, so just a few more years I guess

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 03:28:46 »
I probably have around two dozen keycap sets, but I haven't been swapping at all since I got my hands on MT3 Dasher last year.

Yeah, I know you like your blue caps:)
Is it MT3 profile that speaks to you that much that you don't want to swap? If so, do you have other MT3 that you also like?
Dont remember actual Dasher, but most MT3 are ABS - how's the texture, did it come off quickly? Are they now shiny? They must be,  if you using them full time:) Do you have some photos of those caps now?
I'm curious cause I only have Serika, which is PBT, so stays rough on top.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 04:38:18 »
One extra set, I changed it about 6 months ago. Previously I had changed one set in the last 5+ years.

I don't feel the need to change my keycaps like my shirts...

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 November 2021, 11:35:35 »
Is it MT3 profile that speaks to you that much that you don't want to swap? If so, do you have other MT3 that you also like?
Dont remember actual Dasher, but most MT3 are ABS - how's the texture, did it come off quickly? Are they now shiny? They must be,  if you using them full time:) Do you have some photos of those caps now?

It is the combination of MT3 and the blue colorway that speaks to me. I am still a big fan of SA, but I think I kinda like MT3 more. I haven't been swapping because I just haven't gotten tired of these enough to bother. I also have /dev/tty, Susuwatari, WoB, and Extended 2048. I love /dev/tty and have it on a couple of keyboards, but my silver CTRL w/ MT3 Dasher has been my main driver now for over a year and I haven't felt the urge to switch to something else just yet.

I've been typing on these MT3 Dasher keycaps full time and they are not shiny yet. I'm actually rather surprised by that.

Offline phinix

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 04:45:56 »

It is the combination of MT3 and the blue colorway that speaks to me. I am still a big fan of SA, but I think I kinda like MT3 more. I haven't been swapping because I just haven't gotten tired of these enough to bother. I also have /dev/tty, Susuwatari, WoB, and Extended 2048. I love /dev/tty and have it on a couple of keyboards, but my silver CTRL w/ MT3 Dasher has been my main driver now for over a year and I haven't felt the urge to switch to something else just yet.

I've been typing on these MT3 Dasher keycaps full time and they are not shiny yet. I'm actually rather surprised by that.

Interesting. I thought those ABS MT3s will go shiny pretty quickly, like GMK.

Yeah, I like SA same as you, we are one of those 7bit's GBs lovers back in the days:)
I only have Serika from MT3 and love those on for a while, colors are amazing, but after a while (few months) I feel like I want a change.
Same for SA - I keep on different sets for about 2-4 months, then need a change. Between 7bit's sets and SA Carbon, I bought a new SA set last week, its that good old Filco SA dark brown/cream set - I think I bought last existing new set of those, you can't get ANSI sets of those anymore.

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 04:48:11 »
One extra set, I changed it about 6 months ago. Previously I had changed one set in the last 5+ years.

I don't feel the need to change my keycaps like my shirts...

Yeah, I'm generaly surprised that when I ask peeps how often they change their sets, most of the time they don't change them for ages.
then there are loads of people joining all keycaps GBs and buy tousands of sets, so they must change them at some point:)

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 November 2021, 16:14:03 »
Currently I have 6 sets and 3 boards.  Another 4 boards on the way, and another 10 sets.  I switch things up periodically, but I get rid of sets as I lose interest in them.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 00:45:29 »
Currently I have 6 sets and 3 boards.  Another 4 boards on the way, and another 10 sets.  I switch things up periodically, but I get rid of sets as I lose interest in them.
That is a lot on the way

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 03:38:20 »
I have 5 sets and 5 boards currently with 9 boards 20 sets coming. Current and most inbound in are sub 200 keyboards. I didn't even think about how much I have inbound till I saw this post and rounded up everything in my spreadsheet. It has been 1 full year in the hobby. :| RIP

Been trying to find the right set for the right board. I actually switch boards every couple of days to try the differences. More than the keyset / keyboard pairing I tend to switch out the switches more than anything else. Rotating stock to break em in > lube > have switches ready for next board.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 November 2021, 03:44:15 by HappyB0T »

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 November 2021, 04:29:37 »
See what I mean? :)

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 17:12:42 »

Yeah, I'm generaly surprised that when I ask peeps how often they change their sets, most of the time they don't change them for ages.
then there are loads of people joining all keycaps GBs and buy tousands of sets, so they must change them at some point:)

At the moment I have almost as many keyboards as sets, but that will start to change as more sets arrive next year.  I don't imagine I'd change keycaps a lot, but probably about once a year.  That's still more often than i change the art on my walls. 

Offline Havattack

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 01:13:48 »
Including the sets I'm waiting to be shipped out from GB's? ... 23
How often do I "swap" them? Almost never. They each have their own designated keyboard. (Several are waiting for their keyboard to be delivered, and a a couple are waiting for me to discover a keyboard for them.)

Offline ikwlei

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 08:48:15 »
I was wondering, how many keycaps sets do you guys have and how often do you swap them?
Do you swap just for differen theme, or do
cinema hd you prefer to change profiles from time to time?
Do you have your preffered caps profile+switches combo?

24 caps
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 December 2021, 10:37:59 by ikwlei »

Offline Rafen

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 December 2021, 20:29:47 »
I have a problem with being indecisive so the less sets the better. Currently only have 3 sets. Usually only change caps if I find a set that will match my boards color scheme better. End up selling off other sets so I don't keep bouncing back and forth between sets.

Offline dokternik

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 February 2022, 17:08:10 »
I have bought too many DSA caps off signature plastics. Preference after trying so many different profiles/textures over the years...

I have 3-4 Modifier kits for 96 key layout, and 5-6 alphas. Then accent kits... haha.

Offline iaji

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 04:46:30 »
one set of mt3 susuwatari colevrak and some random grabbags. i don't change them.

Offline hongoo

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 05 March 2022, 02:36:24 »
I have like six sets or so except the ones come with a keyboard.

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 06 March 2022, 19:55:08 »
I have 6 sets so far. 2 from Drop. 4 from KBDfans. 1 from Infinikey.

I have 5 more sets in GB right now. 3 through GMK. 1 ePBT. And 1 from IFK.

I dont ever swap my caps. I find a set that I perfect for that board then put it on display.

My TM680 budget build is set so those switches and caps are set.
My Tofu65 is believe is set. It just looks and feels too perfect.