Author Topic: Keycool 87 Review  (Read 52094 times)

Offline BakerMan1971

Re: Keycool 87 Review
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 06:39:07 »
@SOR , nice to know, keep us updated! :)
@PadawanGeek so vs the competition how would you rate the Keycool 87?, its in the same price range as CM TK boards and the Corsair K65.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:42:14 »
@PadawanGeek so vs the competition how would you rate the Keycool 87?, its in the same price range as CM TK boards and the Corsair K65.
It's still too early to tell since I'd just gotten this board, it's like what the OP had said, and if it's anything like the KC 84 LED I have, I have a feeling I'm going to like this board. It feels solid like any other well made mechanical keyboard, typing and gaming on it is the same as when I was doing the same with my Ducky or Filco.

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:53:56 »
Might have to grab one of these then to feed my new keyboard obsession, they are a fair bit cheaper than Ducky, Filco etc.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 08:30:39 »
I really like the look of the white model. Thanks for the outstanding review!!!

Offline ericnrmrf

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 18:23:50 »
Good review! I really like my white keycool 87 as well :)

ORDERED

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 03:53:15 »
Just ordered the Keycool ML87-II MX Brown / Purple Backlit yesterday..... looking forward to it, having already received the "rainbow" one which is a gift for a friend, and being blown away by the quality vs my existing PLU keyboard.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 10:57:00 »
Some questions have been raised regarding space bar compatibility on the KeyCool.  Having just received my KeyCool 87 (same as jdcarpe's, but with MX red) I did some comparisons with a CM QFR and the Filco yellow space bar thereon.

As you can see, they are the same, except the KeyCool has two extra stems, and the extra stabiliser support holes in the plate seem to be slightly further apart on the KeyCool.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I suppose the second pair of stems are the one that fits the FC-660M.

Offline gst800

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 07:53:06 »
Hi guys, just got my white case keycool 87 with mx reds from qtan and thought id give a little review in here for anyone interested.
Was buying it specially for gaming, so i chose mx red switch. Really impressed with board quality, seen some youtube reviews where people have some problems with spacebar stabilizer and read some messages in here (and other website i forgot) about people saying its a low quality board, i disagree with that completely as i had 0 trouble whatsoever and board feels really solid, nothing is flimsy or feels cheap. Only tested filco majestouch with browns, cm storm quickfire and razer blackwidow in real life and i must say it feels much much better then razer blackwidow, as good if not better then cm storm (mostly because cm storm ugly color for my taste + their annoying branding almost everywhere on the case) and  really i cant tell a difference in quality from filco. I know experts in this forum will throw some hate messages at me for that comparison with allmighty filco, but apart from quite odd leds on keycool (which i am okay with, since i dont really enable them like ever), it feels like a really solid board.
Would recommend it to anyone who doesnt want to pay extra 50-100$ for just a more famous brand name, as i said already - very solid board for a good price, nothing feels cheap at all,especially with so many things coming with that board - 9 extra buttons, key puller and some little stabilizers? (i guess, no idea) and ofcourse buy from qtan :)
For anyone having some questions regarding my particular keyboard or whatever - just message me on steam (see my sig)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2013, 08:08:20 by gst800 »
steam: gst800

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 16:40:18 »
Hi guys, just got my white case keycool 87 with mx reds from qtan and thought id give a little review in here for anyone interested.
Was buying it specially for gaming, so i chose mx red switch. Really impressed with board quality, seen some youtube reviews where people have some problems with spacebar stabilizer and read some messages in here (and other website i forgot) about people saying its a low quality board, i disagree with that completely as i had 0 trouble whatsoever and board feels really solid, nothing is flimsy or feels cheap. Only tested filco majestouch with browns, cm storm quickfire and razer blackwidow in real life and i must say it feels much much better then razer blackwidow, as good if not better then cm storm (mostly because cm storm ugly color for my taste + their annoying branding almost everywhere on the case) and  really i cant tell a difference in quality from filco. I know experts in this forum will throw some hate messages at me for that comparison with allmighty filco, but apart from quite odd leds on keycool (which i am okay with, since i dont really enable them like ever), it feels like a really solid board.
Would recommend it to anyone who doesnt want to pay extra 50-100$ for just a more famous brand name, as i said already - very solid board for a good price, nothing feels cheap at all,especially with so many things coming with that board - 9 extra buttons, key puller and some little stabilizers? (i guess, no idea) and ofcourse buy from qtan :)
For anyone having some questions regarding my particular keyboard or whatever - just message me on steam (see my sig)

Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice first post :)

My KeyCool 87 white with MX reds is still going strong.  Twins!

And actually I keep forgetting that a few extra stabiliser thingies came with it.  I'll have to dig them out so at least I know where they are in case I lose any of my other ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fourzeropooh

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 17:15:14 »
can u change the inserts that go directly into the plate without desoldering?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 20:13:13 »
can u change the inserts that go directly into the plate without desoldering?

Not sure exactly what your referencing but I would say any mods to a stock boards plate requires  soldering.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 01:46:25 »
It's very neat that this comes with PBT keycaps.
This board definitely caught my eye.

How does this baby stack against the competition (and in particular Filco)?
I'm very curious about this, since this comes with PBT keycaps and it's much cheaper.

Also, is it cheaper to ask somebody to buy this from China and ship it over to you OR to buy it directly from amazon/keyboard direct for about 100-110 USD?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:52:30 »
It's very neat that this comes with PBT keycaps.
This board definitely caught my eye.

How does this baby stack against the competition (and in particular Filco)?
I'm very curious about this, since this comes with PBT keycaps and it's much cheaper.

Also, is it cheaper to ask somebody to buy this from China and ship it over to you OR to buy it directly from amazon/keyboard direct for about 100-110 USD?

Not as solid as Filco, I'd guess.  I have QFR and KeyCool, QFR is often compared with Filco, and the KeyCool seems just a little bit less.  Perhaps it has a lighter plate.  Perhaps the case is a slightly different plastic.  The QFR (and, I'd guess, a Filco) just feels more solid.

However having said that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my KeyCool.

I got mine from qtan - see his vendor forum and/or online store: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Paspie

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:27:22 »
Well I'm annoyed now, to say the least. For whatever reason I decided to start messing around with the keys. Somewhere along the way I managed to break a very small tab off one of the guides that holds the Enter key in place. Now, it won't activate properly. It still works, but one side of key will lower whilst the other is stiff. I tried to disassemble the thing with no success, so I have no idea whether the broken piece is actually causing the problem or not.

I need to give the thing a decent clean soon anyway, so maybe then I'll find out.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:38:46 »
Well I'm annoyed now, to say the least. For whatever reason I decided to start messing around with the keys. Somewhere along the way I managed to break a very small tab off one of the guides that holds the Enter key in place. Now, it won't activate properly. It still works, but one side of key will lower whilst the other is stiff. I tried to disassemble the thing with no success, so I have no idea whether the broken piece is actually causing the problem or not.

I need to give the thing a decent clean soon anyway, so maybe then I'll find out.

Pic?

KeyCool has Costar stabilisers - could it simply be that one of the stabiliser inserts has come out?  Mine are fairly loose.

Offline Paspie

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 10:00:00 »
Here:

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 11:00:11 »
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline Paspie

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 11:10:19 »
Yeah, shipping brings the total cost up to $7...which is fine for me, but I'm in no hurry so I'll deal with a wonky Enter for the foreseeable future.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 11:22:21 »
You could always place a wanted ad in the marketplace to see if anyone in the UK has some they could send you.  I would offer but I don't have any :)
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 22:21:51 »
You could always place a wanted ad in the marketplace to see if anyone in the UK has some they could send you.  I would offer but I don't have any :)

... once you reach 60 valuable posts ;)

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 08 January 2014, 12:31:09 »
Good point well made sir :)

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 05:06:46 »
Hi Guys

thought I would chip in here since my Keycool 87II has cherry plate stabilizers, (the metal bars are under the plate).
We do need a reliable source for spare bits though, I have a loose stabilizer stem thing, so now have a wonky spacebar on my PLU costar keyboard, would like to be able to get those.

and Paspie check these guys out £2 for two of your stabilizer bits
http://www.keyboardco.com/product/2-filco-black-stabilizers.asp
they are a geekhack vendor too so have a history with this site :)

as for my Keycool 87II, it has got to be the best bang for buck keyboard I have had the pleasure of trying/owning, what a fantastic piece of kit, the 21key NKRO works perfectly, my Battlefield 3 game has improved as a result of using this board which replaced a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 which was in itself a great board (yes even for a rubberdome :) )

I would not hesitate to buy a Keycool again in the future and my friends are already on board purchasing their own, in fact one has the Rainbow keyboard and is over the moon with it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 05:09:20 by BakerMan1971 »

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 07:57:45 »
^ They're actually £2 + VAT + postage meaning £7.79 overall which is actually more than buying them from WASD :p

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 08:10:04 »
well I went ahead and ordered some along with some stem stabilizers, with deliver was just over a tenner.
shipping will be pretty quick too they get dispatched today. Admittedly the price is a little more.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 16:07:45 »
^ They're actually £2 + VAT + postage meaning £7.79 overall which is actually more than buying them from WASD :p

:eek:

Nearly 4 times the price after everything else!

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 03:14:46 »
yep, hopefully they will see this and give me a nice discount code for the site..... one can hope... :)

Offline Paspie

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 12:40:35 »
I wish there was a manufacturer other than Filco who did cheap clicky boards with the ISO layout (Europe/Japan). Because I use my board with a laptop I have to refer to it for say, the #, @ and " characters which is kinda annoying.

I was fishing in the Keycool's box earlier to use the key puller on a different keyboard, turns out it comes with spare costar stabilisers so I can fit them when I feel like it. Right now the return key feels no different without them so I don't see the point. I'm worried I would break the spares when trying to fit them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 May 2014, 12:45:15 by Paspie »