Author Topic: Fixing Black Alps Switches  (Read 10571 times)

Offline CrapTypist

• http://www.georgecochrane
Fixing Black Alps Switches
« on: Tue, 17 March 2009, 12:04:31 »
I ust took delivery of my new Dell AT101W, and I must say, I LOVE the key feel.  The only crapper is a bum key, (The one that'd normally precede the word "ust", up there).

I've taken a couple of switches apart and there doesn't seem to be any visible difference between a working mechanism and the broken one- Only that when I press the little switch leaf into the plastic tab, one registers a keypress, and the other doesn't.

What are the chances (and strategies) of my repairing that switch (cold solder oint, maybe?), or perhaps replacing it with one of the unused switches, like one from the numpad?

In the meantime, I'm off to try and get my money back from the ebay seller, who saw fit to pack a 4lb keyboard in a couple of priority mail bags with minimal bubble wrap... Durr.  The thing is filthy, too. :/

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 March 2009, 12:12:34 »
You can try to resolder the switch if the connection is the problem.  If the internals of the switch are the problem, then you change them out with a key you wouldn't normally use (like Scroll Like, or something).

Offline CrapTypist

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 March 2009, 12:47:40 »
It seems like such a dead-simple mechanism..  I'm wondering if there's some kind of quick-fix trick I could try, or conditions of the switch leaf/etc to look for.  The solder joint looks ok from the rear, but of course, the switch could have slightly broken off of its board contacts without my knowing.

I'm a little worried that I'll solder in a new switch and realize it's something to do with the controller or pcb or something.

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 March 2009, 12:52:43 »
I have an AT101W with a few dead keys that I have thought about trying to fix, but I haven't had a chance to really take it apart and look at it.  Plus, I'm also not sure how exactly to fix it, if I even could possibly do so.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline CrapTypist

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 April 2009, 14:31:21 »
Well, I did try and fix the issue.  Swapping in a switch from another key yielded no results, and there was no obvious damage to any traces, etc.  The seller is sending me another one for the cost of shipping, so I guess now I have a donor board for black Alps..  lol

How did this forum turn me into a such a keyboard freak?

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 09:22:25 »
Hmmmm.  I'm not sure if it is much worth it for me since I'm not as enthused about my AT101Ws as I once was.

I will likely keep my one black and one beige model around, but I don't think I'll bother with fixing the other one.

What I do want to do, though, is change out one switch on my black AT101W.  When I got it (used) the 0 key on the numpad had a white alps switch under it.  I don't mind it too much, but since I have another AT101W here, I might as well switch it out so that it is black alps like the rest of the keys.

Offline cmr

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 April 2009, 19:51:08 »
you could try using a couple of umpers to connect the keyswitch terminals to the other end of the traces

(sorry, i ust couldn't resist)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 April 2009, 06:53:33 »
Quote from: cmr;26994
umpers

Humpers?  Or maybe jumpers.

Ugh.  Long weekend.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 00:31:58 »
First verify that it's not something to do with the electronics of the keyboard..and make contact between the two solder points of the switch and see if you can generate a letter.  If you do get a letter typed, then it's clearly the internals of the switch.  Next take the top of the switch off by putting two small screwdrivers between the plastic tabs on top and bottom of the switch and prying the top of the switch off. If pressing the metal leaf on the cartridge with the top of the switch off doesn't type a letter, then it's something internal to the actual cartridge, which is pretty rare.  Normally alps switches don't work because the little metal leaf that's pressed down when the plastic part is pressed down gets bent out of shape from use.  Normally all you have to do is bend the metal back and the switch will work again.  If it's an alps clone the cartridge may be exposed and may just be two pieces of metal or other configurations which may actually be easier to figure out.

If that's the cause then get some super glue, and glue the actuation spring into the plastic part, put the plastic and spring assembly into the top cover.  If it's a clicky put the clicky spring into the top cover so it holds itself in place with the plastic part pressed down so the actuation spring sticks half an inch or so out the bottom of the top of the switch.  Then line the actuation spring up with the little protrusion on the bottom of the switch and press down.  Hopefully the metal leaf won't be in the way, it should sit just on the edge.  You might have to try it several times to get it back in position. Don't force it, if something sticks take it off again and try again.

Anyway, if there's something in the little metal cartridge that you can't access with it soldered in place get a desoldering iron from radio shack, or elswhere and remove the switch.  You can then take the little cartridge apart and try to see if you can see any problems with it, or just solder in a working switch.  I have a cheap alps keyboard I got for $10 from a thrift shop I use as a source for spare switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2009, 00:42:47 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline FKSSR

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 09:23:39 »
Just an update my issue with the U key on one of my Dells...

I took off the key and sprayed it out thoroughly with the canned air.  That helped, but I still have the issue if I type on the keyboard laying flat.  Thankfully, I prefer typing on it with the legs up.  So, when I did that, I noticed I don't have any problems with the U key anymore.  So, the combination of the two pretty much fixed the issue for now.  I have not had any problems since.  If I encounter the issue again (somewhat likely), I will try "more drastic" measures. :)